Not Solved - Nvidia sleep problem - wrong card ID or pwr mgmt?

Afal

1 post in this topic

Update:

This problem may have been solved. Looking at an older install of my system (10.5.6) with the new one, I noticed from the ioreg that the older one did not have AppleMCCSControl.kext which only appeared under NVDA. So I disabled it. I may have broken something else - but sleep appears to be working now. It appeared to work for a very short sleep, but did not work for a long sleep. If anyone has any ideas as to why this fixed it (or what I actually did by disabling it), I'd be interested in knowing. [i'd even be interested in knowing what that particular extension does I'd be interested in knowing.]

[Original post]

Hi folks,

This is a continuation of a previous post in the Newbie forum (but with more information and more questions) - so hopefully I am not breaking the rule on multiple posting. I am having a problem with my 512 MB Nvidia 8600 GT card and sleep. I am not certain where the conflict might be. My mobo is the Gigabyte EP45-DS3R and I did the install (and update to 10.6.7) using Kakewalk 3.1 USB. [i tried 3.0 but got ebios errors]. Since Kakewalk does not have the DS3R, I used EP45-UD3R which from online I understood would be the same.

The problem is that when I sleep the computer, the graphics card does not wake properly. Most commonly, I get my windows and can move the pointer with the mouse, but cannot click on any windows or drop down menus. After a few seconds the screen starts to flash. Then the entire screen turns white (sometimes with small fractions of windows randomly placed).

In /System/Library/Extensions I have [* shows the ones that appear in system profiler]:

*GeForce.kext

GeForce7xxxGLDriver.bundle

GeForceGA.plugin

GeForceGLDriver.bundle

GeForceVADriver.bundle

NVDANV40Hal.kext

*NVDANV50Hal.kext

*NVDAResman.kext

NVSMU.kext

NVinject.kext [i manually added this using Kext Utility]

*IOGraphicsFamily.kext

AppleGraphicsControl.kext

AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext [currently disabled]

AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext [currently disabled]

*AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

*AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext

I ran EFIStudio for my card and it claims to have written to com.apple.Boot.plist - but I cannot find an edited copy of it anywhere on my disk (used the unix find command). Nor am I certain which one it wants to write to (the one in /Extra or the one in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration).

So, what do people think? Is this a graphics card issue or a power management issue? (I had an older 10.5.6 install with GeForce8xxxGLDriver.bundle that I read has been replaced with GeForceGLDriver.bundle.)

Do I need to create a new DST file? (I've just downloaded DSDT-GA-EP45-DS3R-1.0-F10.aml from tonymacx86). I am getting more hesitant to blindly muck with kexts as I've only recently discovered that they can have dependencies on other kexts. I am hoping to prevent a re-install of my system.

Note: I do not have installed:

SleepEnabler.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

as I understand that these are not supposed to be needed anymore.

Because I used Kakewalk, I am a bit ignorant on some of the tools (like EFIStudio) and when they can be safely used.

Anyway, I appreciate everyone's patience.

Thanks.

P.S. In looking on a post regarding nVidia injection, I did:

ioreg -lw0 > NVEnabler_ioreg_dump_$USER.txt

in the file, I see;

NVDA,Display-A@0 <class IONDRVDevice, id 0x1000002c3, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (129 ms), retain 10>

"display-cfg" = <ffffffff>

NVDA,Display-B@1 <class IONDRVDevice, id 0x1000002c4, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (5 ms), retain 8>

"display-cfg" = <ffffffff>

These are the only display-cfgs in the txt file and the value does not look correct to me. [but then I know next to nothing.] Oh, and I only have one display.