Asrock 775Dual VSTA

m.muller

165 posts in this topic

Well it seems to start now most of the time.

I added the -v command to the boot.plist (keeping the -f command).

Don't think it's a motherboard issue. The newest JaS-Release seems to work quite well. Need to look deeper into it now.

How can i test, wether i suffer the stuttering issue?

@thestevo: I tried your Installer a few days ago (Version 4). The Sound-Driver didn't work for me. Said something like it couldn't find the layout ID... Thank you for your effort :P

EDIT: I have installed on SATA. My Xbench is 86.84. Running it again on PATA the score is down to 70...

Edited by marcian

Well it seems to start now most of the time.

I added the -v command to the boot.plist (keeping the -f command).

Great news!

How can i test, wether i suffer the stuttering issue?

Well, for me everythings lags, dock, exposé, opening a shell and typing take 2s between each keypress and char displayed on screen.

I've read from amd stutering thread that decreasing fsb remove the problem but i do not find this settings on our mobo.

I've downclock pro but it do not help.

my memory is ddr 2 533 what about yours ?

For sound i've installed a pkg that allow mic in with 888 chipset. HERE

See you

Edited by m.muller

I just saw that the System Profiler only shows me 1 CPU. That would explain why i have no stuttering.

Very weird. I didn't put CPUS=1 anywhere...

I have found the 888package myself too. Just wanted to give the information that it doesn't work for me...

I'm using DDR1-Memory at 400MHz. I had that before the motherboard... Won't upgrade to ddr2 before prices drop in march or so

Edited by marcian

Anybody feel free to correct me if I'm not aware of something, but as far as I know there is no way to get the installer to recognize the SATA controller. To run off an SATA drive you must install to a PATA and then copy. Millage does vary.

Stephen

A very interesting new point to add relating the S-ATA installation.

I have some Athlon64 S754 Board lying around. Got it from a workmate. It features some VIA-Chipset and the famous 8237Southbridge with S-ATA ports.

I built a system with it, threw in the newest JaS 10.4.8 DVD (INTEL.AMD.SSE2.SSE3) and voila it recognizes the S-ATA HD that is sitting in the system...

Is AppleVIAATA actually a part of the OS-X Distribution by Apple? Non of the current system needs that kext... So the kext is on the install DVD. So installing to S-SATA should definately be piece of cake, if someone is able to build modified install-DVDs... Just 4 digits to change for the different device ID.

Hi All Back once again.

Ok I got 10.4.7 to install and 10.4.8 Semthex to install but the only problem I am having is

SATA!!!

I go through the guide written by the wonderful M. Mueller(Thank you for all your work and patience with this board!!)

Everytime I put in the ID that is provided in the DualVSTA guide when I reboot it wont boot into OSX again.

This is the guide just wondering if its valid and works?

Thanks for the help again!!!

Ashley

------------------------------

SATA

Credit: m.muller et al

Sudo nano cd /system/library/extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext/contents/info.plist

Look for:

<string>AppleVIAATARoot</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

and add 0x05911106 to the string below.

Then perform usual house cleaning:

sudo chmod -R 755 AppleVIAATA.kext

sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleVIAATA.kext

cd /System/Library

sudo diskutil repairpermissions /

sudo rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache

SATA

Credit: m.muller et al

Sudo nano cd /system/library/extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext/contents/info.plist

Look for:

<string>AppleVIAATARoot</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

and add 0x05911106 to the string below.

Hi,

i don't know wether i'm right, but i think you add the 0x05911106 to the wrong line.

The AppleVIAATAroot/IOPCIPrimaryMatch can be found in two categories of that same plist. You need to add it in the IOPCIPrimaryMatch-line AFTER the " key>VIA SATA Controller</key>" line.

There is an easy help. Don't change the line with 0x05711106 because that is the line for the pata/ide-Controller. If you change 0571 to 0591 you will make your IDE-Controller unaccessible to MacOS (for that install).

Change the line where you can already find several numbers like "<string>0x05911106 0x522910B9 0x528810B9 0x528910B9 0x528710B9 0x31491106 0x00e310de 0x005410de 0x005510de</string>".

If you find the right line it should work...

Is AppleVIAATA actually a part of the OS-X Distribution by Apple? Non of the current system needs that kext... So the kext is on the install DVD. So installing to S-SATA should definately be piece of cake, if someone is able to build modified install-DVDs... Just 4 digits to change for the different device ID.

It has been done and it's a piece of cake. If i had known that earlier :whistle:

I found yesterday via the search-function in the italian section the following post:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=39148

I don't speak italian, so babelfish had to help. In the link you will find a link to a file. Inside that file you will find three modified files for the JaS 10.4.8 AMD.INTEL.SSE2.SSE3-DVD. (i used it on my PPF1ed version of the DVD).

After download the files you need to mount your ISO-File in MacOS with write access.

Go to the terminal an do this: (sudo) hdiutil attach filname.iso –readwrite

The Iso will now be mounted as a volume and you can write the three files to the ISO. Replace the files that are on the dvd-image. Extensions.mkext will go to System\Library, the two other files go to System/Library/Packages.

Now you can record the image file with the diskutil. After that it worked for me right away.

Props to MartaMarco.

Greets

Marcian

P.S.: Just found out why i had problems with my system booting only with "-v -f". The problem was in connection to my graphic-card not working with Titan/Natig/Badenov/modbin/Neo... I have to fix my screenmode in com.apple.Boot.plist. I fixed it with "1280x1024x32@60". Now i changed it to read "1280x1024x32". Boots alright now...

Edited by marcian

Marcian,

Thank you for pointing out the error in the Wiki. I changed it and added more lines so there can be no confusion as to where the proper entry point for the value is located. I was not aware that there was more than one place that would meet that criteria, haha my bad.

Thanks again!

Stephen

Hi,

i'am happy to tell that i've work around sttutering problem with my pentiulm D805.

It's easy, without any osx mod.

Simply overclock the CPU. The D805 is really easy to overclock even with the origianl fan.

In the bios change the cpu clock setting to 140 or 150 and strutering disapear.

Hope it help

Mathias

Edited by m.muller

Hi,

i'am happy to tell that i've work around sttutering problem with my pentiulm D805.

It's easy, without any osx mod.

Simply overclock the CPU. The D805 is really easy to overclock even with the origianl fan.

In the bios change the cpu clock setting to 140 or 150 and strutering disapear.

Hope it help

Mathias

Great to hear that your system now works perfectly.

Which kernel version are you using?

How do you know, that you have both cores of your CPU working?

Since i installed via the latest JaS-DVD my System profiler only shows 1 core. Is that an error in the system profiler, or is really only one core used? Where can i check?

Great to hear that your system now works perfectly.

Which kernel version are you using?

How do you know, that you have both cores of your CPU working?

Since i installed via the latest JaS-DVD my System profiler only shows 1 core. Is that an error in the system profiler, or is really only one core used? Where can i check?

@marcian

Thanks,

But it only works with 2.40 mobo bios. But with this bios cpu fan quiet mode stop working and fan is as noisy as a plane take off.

So it go back to 1.7 and now fan speed is nicely controlled but stuttering is back. :-(

I have to buy a quiet fan to use 2.4.

Well as i've installed developper tools i've got CHUD tool installed and.

Chud tool add an itme in preferences where you can see cpu working and eventually disabled some.

Without CHUD you can use activity monitor in Application->Utilities in cpu section you will have one or two graph.

@MartaMarco

I think i had some time ago the same problem of slepp mode that never awake. Since that i've disable this functionnality via preference and then never tried again.

Hi people.

Hi m.muller: i installed the 2.40 bios. System profiler still only sees one core, but in the activity monitor there are two graphs, so i think this should be okay.

Another topic: I have problems with my graphic card. It's an MSI X1650Pro-256MB-PCIe-Card. I wanted to use ATIinject/Natit/Titan/modbin-installer. It never worked. No matter how often i tried. I thougt it was because my graphic card is 1650 not 1600. Just in the last few days (and today) i found out, that i was wrong.

On my mothers pc i had installed 10.4.7 already, and made a spare partition for 10.4.8. This pc is i915p-based and works quite well. So i installed 10.4.8 straight from my latest DVD. After the installation i restarted and everything went fine. I then put my X1650Pro-Card into that PC and installed modbins1650agp installer. It worked straight away. Then i thought it might be the monitor, but my TFT-Screen works flawless over there (even though VGA-only; no DVI).

Then i redid everything on my pc, but it didn't help. I can never get to work my Card. I tried something like 150 times and really spent hours with the whole stuff, but i can't get it to work.

I only get vertical stripes after booting with any solution, thats supposed to work.

It must be something in relation to the mainboard. So it's either the VIA-Chipset or it's the existence of the AGP-slot. Perhaps the ATINDRV or the IOPCI. can't autodetect which one of the both is the right one. Or might it be the 4lane-only-PCIe-Slot?

Does anybody have ANY clue what to do? Does anybody use PCIe-Graphics-Card with Natit/Titan/.... and 775Dual-VSTA?

EDIT: I see that thestevo has his NVidia-card working with one Natit.kext. But i guess this version does not include ATI-strings for injection.

Greets

marcian

EDIT2: I just tinkered around with a lot of stuff. The main thing i did was editing the IOPCIFamily.kext. There is one key that says "IOPCIClassMatch" and the value is 0x06040000,fff... Means that it scans for all devices matching the class 0604. This affects two devices on our motherboard. The PCIe-Bridge and the AGP-Port. I changed that to read "IOPCIMatch" and "0xa2081106" which should theoretically limit the scan to the PCIe-Bridge. But that didn't help me at all.

I guess i will be out of luck until i switch away from this mainboard... (Which will only be when the DDR2-prices will start to drop to the level they have been in 3rd quarter 06)...

Edited by marcian