Patching DSDT for HP Elitebook 8540w

Lem

48 posts in this topic

What a pitty with the firewire. I want to mention that with the new dsdt, voodoobattery WORKS PERFECTLY. Thanks!

OK, next thing, VoodooPS2controller and trackpad, and the problems with sleep.

First of all, I told you that is working with the mouse.kext instead trackpad.kext. When I tried to use the trackpad kext, I have the problem that my synaptics trackpad is recognized as ALPS. Exactly that problem you can read here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1682691

and here:

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,1803.0.html (has more info)

I don't know how to fix it. Pretty sure to change a check of ID's or whatever. No one replied.

Cheers.

What a pitty with the firewire. I want to mention that with the new dsdt, voodoobattery WORKS PERFECTLY. Thanks!

OK, next thing, VoodooPS2controller and trackpad, and the problems with sleep.

First of all, I told you that is working with the mouse.kext instead trackpad.kext. When I tried to use the trackpad kext, I have the problem that my synaptics trackpad is recognized as ALPS. Exactly that problem you can read here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1682691

and here:

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,1803.0.html (has more info)

I don't know how to fix it. Pretty sure to change a check of ID's or whatever. No one replied.

Cheers.

There are a lot of people in my situation. Hope some one could have a look.

what happens to sleep?

I have a synaptics touchpad, which is recognized as an alps, the result is that the correct drivers are not loaded and the I can't use it.

Someone found that in the id sequence it returns 0x02 instead of the expected 0x47 and that results in the touchpad not to be recognized as a synaptics.

CODE

void ApplePS2Mouse::interruptOccurred(UInt8 data)	  // PS2InterruptAction
{
 //
 // This will be invoked automatically from our device when asynchronous mouse
 // needs to be delivered.  Process the mouse data.   Do NOT send any BLOCKING
 // commands to our device in this context.
 //
 // We ignore all bytes until we see the start of a packet, otherwise the mouse
 // packets may get out of sequence and things will get very confusing.
 //
 if (_packetByteCount == 0 && ((data == kSC_Acknowledge) || !(data & 0x08)))
 {
IOLog("%s: Unexpected data from PS/2 controller.\n", getName());
return;
 }

I mean, it is using voodooPS2mouse.kext instead (I remove the voodooPS2trackpad.kext), because the driver is not loaded properly, due to the synaptic trackpad is recognized as ALPS. The behaviour is pretty good (having into account that is working with voodooPS2mouse instead voodooPS2trackpad), but when it wakes from sleep, there is an erratic movement from trackpad and I have the following in the kernel.log:

- ApplePS2mouse: unexpected data received from PS2 controller.

- ApplePS2controller: timed out on mouse input stream.

Thanks.

IDT 92HD75B3X5 is also used, to my knowledge, by DV series. Look at this topic.

For you card reader, assuming it is usb based, look.

For trackpad and keyboard, I use the files from this topic. If you boot into 64 Bit, it will give you multitouch gestures. (two fingers only). This also has multimedia shortcut, play, pause etc. If you use 32Bit, it will only give you basic functions but it still works really well.

For battery, try ACPIBatteryManager. It works better than VoodooBattery.

same "problem"

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=254184

but

work like a charm 100%

do you use power button for wake?

PS2 does not work to wake

at least it never worked for me

You mean with the files inside S_L_E.zip, voodooPS2Controller and AppleACPIPS2Nub, of your post? I tried and same problem. I have exactly the same situation with yours. No change at all.

Yes I use power button for wake. This is not the problem. The problem is I have that message after wake, and doesn't wake properly because I have erratic behaviour of the trackpad, and the messages in the kernel.log:

kernel[0]: ApplePS2Mouse: Unexpected data from PS/2 controller.

kernel[0]: ApplePS2Controller: Timed out on mouse input stream.

This messages are repeated each time that I tried to move the trackpad after wake.

P.S.: I keep thinking that the voodooPS2controller should be corrected in order to get trackpad.kext working... I don't understand that why a synaptics trackpad is recognized as ALPS. Is really a huge BUG.

P.S.2: USB3 drivers are giving me some KP. It works, but when I play with a USB mouse in the USB3 port, plugging and unplugging several times, finally I get KP, in the middle of the desktop... weird. Looks not stable at all... You should try.

IDT 92HD75B3X5 is also used, to my knowledge, by DV series. Look at this topic.

For you card reader, assuming it is usb based, look.

For trackpad and keyboard, I use the files from this topic. If you boot into 64 Bit, it will give you multitouch gestures. (two fingers only). This also has multimedia shortcut, play, pause etc. If you use 32Bit, it will only give you basic functions but it still works really well.

For battery, try ACPIBatteryManager. It works better than VoodooBattery.

Sound: I tried this one before and didn't work. I solve the problem with a kext I tweaked but still having some asserts. But look stable. I don't like the crappy sound when you want to restart/shutdown. I would like to solve it.

Card reader: Is not USB based. Doesn't work. Tried a lot of things. Nothing works. VoodooSDHC didn't work and got KP.

Trackpad and keyboard: It just doesn't work, NO voodooPS2trackpad.kext will work, because there is a BUG in the code, and recognize my synaptics trackpad into an ALPS. I tried with this files before too.

Battery: I will try.

Thanks.

Sound: I tried this one before and didn't work. I solve the problem with a kext I tweaked but still having some asserts. But look stable. I don't like the crappy sound when you want to restart/shutdown. I would like to solve it.

Card reader: Is not USB based. Doesn't work. Tried a lot of things. Nothing works. VoodooSDHC didn't work and got KP.

Trackpad and keyboard: It just doesn't work, NO voodooPS2trackpad.kext will work, because there is a BUG in the code, and recognize my synaptics trackpad into an ALPS. I tried with this files before too.

Battery: I will try.

Thanks.

Make sure you have the followings in your HDEF device. The first one will prevent OS X from detecting your HDMI codec, which causes errors. So if you don't have a working HDMI audio, use it.

"CodecAddressMask", 
						Buffer (One)
						{
							0x01
						}, 
"platformFamily", 
						Buffer (One)
						{
							0x00
						}

That crackling sound should only occur if you boot into verbose mode with '-v' or if you lose audio after sleep. At least in my case it is so. Posting your errors might be a good idea.

Good luck,

Hello there,

I'm following your discussion, as I also have an elitebook 8540w (i5/fx880) with OSX on it.

I made OSX work with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and various kext replacements, and I think I ended up more or less where you are, with super sensitive touchpad, audio that makes spikes on restart, etc...

I have replaced the wifi card, with a broadcomm (same as apple airport) but I cant get the airport-window to work, eventhough the hardware is recognized and the driver is loaded :-(

I am thinking starting from scratch, (cause I dont even remember what kext replacements I did) and the DSDT sounds like a clean approach. Unfortunately I am not very OSX competent so I have not played yet with DSDT before.

So to start with, can you please attach the "latest" DSDT for elitebooks so I'll give it a try ?

Due to the different cpu/gpu I understand that I might encounter problems, so if you could point me to a relevant tutorial/instructions, or write just a few bullets of what steps I need to do to overcome the problems, and make my own DSDT, it would be great.

By the way, my currently working partition of OSX is it of any use ? can I extract a DSDT from it ? or should I drop it, and start clean?

I am a software engineer, so writing code is not a problem. I was not that impressed with OSX so I had it lying about a year now on my elitebook without using it, but recently I started iphone app development on XCODE at my work, so I need to improve my elitebook-osx to not need a macbook all the time :-)

Bottomline I would be glad to help you, if you help me with the first steps :-)

Thanks

Manolis from Greece

Make sure you have the followings in your HDEF device. The first one will prevent OS X from detecting your HDMI codec, which causes errors. So if you don't have a working HDMI audio, use it.

"CodecAddressMask", 
						Buffer (One)
						{
							0x01
						}, 
"platformFamily", 
						Buffer (One)
						{
							0x00
						}

That crackling sound should only occur if you boot into verbose mode with '-v' or if you lose audio after sleep. At least in my case it is so. Posting your errors might be a good idea.

Good luck,

Hi I couldn't try that, because I don't know anything of DSDT edition.

But much better than that, should be great to have HDMI working, could you please help me with that?

The last DSDT I am using is http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=93013

Thanks and greetings.

Hi I couldn't try that, because I don't know anything of DSDT edition.

But much better than that, should be great to have HDMI working, could you please help me with that?

May I ask you how exactly you did try the sound solution I suggested. If you didn't apply HDEF device, then it wouldn't work. Am I missing something?

May I ask you how exactly you did try the sound solution I suggested. If you didn't apply HDEF device, then it wouldn't work. Am I missing something?

Hello JBraddock,

I am using VoodooHDA, and in order to use it, I need to disable HDMI. So the only way I found was:

- Change the field: <key>IOPCIClassMatch</key> to <key>IOPCIMatch</key>

- Put the value I found with lspci: that is [8086:3b56] for the Intel device and don't use the nvidia one ([10de:0be4])

So the value I put was: <string>0x3b568086</string>

And that's it. And works.

So, could you please take a look my DSDT file, and see if I have any problem on it:

- In order to have the keyboard working without issues after wake. It was explained on this thread

- Firewire issue after wake.

- I have another problem with USB3 and the driver, that I have kernel panics. When I plug and unplug devices. It was explained on this thread too.

- Native brightness.

- Battery: (Working - Brightness Dimming - AppleACPIBatteryManager).

I can provide you whatever you need, ioreg (The previously that I've posted before update to 10.6.7, but you could need one more recent, let me know) or whatever...

You are giving me hope to have a good and clean installation.

Thanks man.

Greetings.

Hello JBraddock,

I am using VoodooHDA, and in order to use it, I need to disable HDMI. So the only way I found was:

- Change the field: <key>IOPCIClassMatch</key> to <key>IOPCIMatch</key>

- Put the value I found with lspci: that is [8086:3b56] for the Intel device and don't use the nvidia one ([10de:0be4])

So the value I put was: <string>0x3b568086</string>

And that's it. And works.

So, could you please take a look my DSDT file, and see if I have any problem on it:

- In order to have the keyboard working without issues after wake. It was explained on this thread

- Firewire issue after wake.

- I have another problem with USB3 and the driver, that I have kernel panics. When I plug and unplug devices. It was explained on this thread too.

- Native brightness.

- Battery: (Working - Brightness Dimming - AppleACPIBatteryManager).

I can provide you whatever you need, ioreg (The previously that I've posted before update to 10.6.7, but you could need one more recent, let me know) or whatever...

You are giving me hope to have a good and clean installation.

Thanks man.

Greetings.

Mald0n is the guy who can help you but I'll have a look.

Can you send me another IOREG dump.

Please use IORegisteryExplorer.app then File>Save As. It is easier to navigate this way.

Mald0n is the guy who can help you but I'll have a look.

Can you send me another IOREG dump.

Please use IORegisteryExplorer.app then File>Save As. It is easier to navigate this way.

Hi JBraddock,

I know about Mald0n but, if you read the thread, he didn't reply to some things, and he said he didn't know about some other things too...

Thanks for the try.

Find attached my ioreg (I prefer this way too).

Cheers.

ioreg4JBraddock.zip

Hi JBraddock,

I know about Mald0n but, if you read the thread, he didn't reply to some things, and he said he didn't know about some other things too...

Thanks for the try.

Find attached my ioreg (I prefer this way too).

I see but what I meant is that Mald0n knows a lot more than I do. If he couldn't solve your problems, I am not sure if I could do that.

Did you take a look at this thread? I suggest you try those files and see if it is better for you. I'll have a look at your ioreg when I get home and see if there is anything I can do.

BTW, there is also a topic on TonyMac. Look at the second page, someone is suggesting a solution for USB3.

I see but what I meant is that Mald0n knows a lot more than I do. If he couldn't solve your problems, I am not sure if I could do that.

Did you take a look at this thread? I suggest you try those files and see if it is better for you. I'll have a look at your ioreg when I get home and see if there is anything I can do.

BTW, there is also a topic on TonyMac. Look at the second page, someone is suggesting a solution for USB3.

Hi JBraddock,

Thanks for take a look. Hope you can solve some things.

Thanks for the first thread, I'll take a look.

I knew previously the tonymac thread, and is not useful.

Thanks.

• 5 weeks later...

@Maldon

Could you have a look at my dsdt I have the same laptop but it is a core i5 with the quadro 880

I was able to get most thing working using a dsdt from another post on this forumhttp://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=255899&st=40

I tried to do some patching myself but I am unable to solve the compile issues 143 of them :-)

I tink most of my problems are related to a bad dsdt file so I solved a lot of issues using a bunch of kext files.

But it would be cleaner to have most of it in my dsdt file

thanks

dsdt_orig.dsl.zip

• 4 months later...

Hey Guys,

Nice to hear that some folks are working on a DSDT for the Elitebook 8540w too.

I would like to know wich display you guys have?

I have a Dreamcolor Display and a quadro FX1800m build in wich causes a black screen on my hackintosh system, on my external screen everything runs great, just the internal display isnt recognized.

Under Linux there was the same problem, which could be fixed via a custom DSDT which had the (PEG3) - Device before the (PEGP) - Device, read here:

Black Screen problem

This edits are not needed since the last BIOS (F20) and NVidia driver updates. There is now are more PEG? Devices in the new firmware, so the old fix is not easily transferable.

But could there still be a similar solution for MacOS?

Lem, you mentioned the strange errors during your first attempts to compile your DSDT - i have the same errors, but your fixed versions all look that different that i could imagine, that this fixes also fixed away the capability to detect the dreamcolor screen...

I attached my DSDT.dsl extracted from the last firmware version.

MaLd0n maybe you could tell us what you did when fixing those compiling errors arround the VGDD methods stuff. Or even better somebody could write a Dreamcolor compatible DSDT!

Or is there anyone out there with dreamcolor + 1800m working already?

regards,

Can

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

just to let you guys know I'm following this topic daily and would like to know if there's any news from the more experienced here.

I have a HP 8540p (different from 8540w only in GPU, this one has a Nvidia NVS 5100M), my status is as follows:

Running latest Lion on:

- Latest 8540p BIOS (F.20)

- Chimera 1.7 boot loader;

- USB 2 works via DSDT (no extra kexts)

- Audio works via voodooHDA (but I get occasional KP's if using this, must check different versions or try AppleHDA patch);

- Keyboard and Touchpad work via VoodooPS2

- Graphics work via GraphicsEnabler (bootloader) or NVEnabler.kext.

Everything else is working although I'm trying with a bare list of kexts (no sound, no voodoobattery) just to try and solve my main problems:

- Sleep fails: I think this is related to the GPU, because if I disable graphics acceleration the system successfully enters sleep mode (according to the kernel), but the display stays on. If the GPU accel is on, the display turns off but the computer hangs.

- External monitor is not working with GraphicsEnabler. Haven't tried yet with NVEnabler, but I doubt it will work because I still don't have all the data from my GPU on the plist (NVCAP). This might be extra hard because I also have the laptop's docking station which has additional monitor outputs (DVI, DisplayPort and analog).

DSDT editing is driving me mad, also. If someone has good pointers to help me inject all I need for GPU acceleration on the DSDT, please help (maybe another laptop with a similar card...)

Mald0n, can you link directly to the patches you applied (not the names but the actual patch files). I also need help trying to understand the DSDT file syntax (simple store instructions, function calls) is there any post about it? How about methods / devices that can be deleted, to simplify editing and debugging?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

Hi all,

just to let you guys know I'm following this topic daily and would like to know if there's any news from the more experienced here.

I have a HP 8540p (different from 8540w only in GPU, this one has a Nvidia NVS 5100M), my status is as follows:

Running latest Lion on:

- Latest 8540p BIOS (F.20)

- Chimera 1.7 boot loader;

- USB 2 works via DSDT (no extra kexts)

- Audio works via voodooHDA (but I get occasional KP's if using this, must check different versions or try AppleHDA patch);

- Keyboard and Touchpad work via VoodooPS2

- Graphics work via GraphicsEnabler (bootloader) or NVEnabler.kext.

Everything else is working although I'm trying with a bare list of kexts (no sound, no voodoobattery) just to try and solve my main problems:

- Sleep fails: I think this is related to the GPU, because if I disable graphics acceleration the system successfully enters sleep mode (according to the kernel), but the display stays on. If the GPU accel is on, the display turns off but the computer hangs.

- External monitor is not working with GraphicsEnabler. Haven't tried yet with NVEnabler, but I doubt it will work because I still don't have all the data from my GPU on the plist (NVCAP). This might be extra hard because I also have the laptop's docking station which has additional monitor outputs (DVI, DisplayPort and analog).

DSDT editing is driving me mad, also. If someone has good pointers to help me inject all I need for GPU acceleration on the DSDT, please help (maybe another laptop with a similar card...)

Mald0n, can you link directly to the patches you applied (not the names but the actual patch files). I also need help trying to understand the DSDT file syntax (simple store instructions, function calls) is there any post about it? How about methods / devices that can be deleted, to simplify editing and debugging?

I know this thread is at least 5 years old, but I have the same configuration as kossak: 8540p, i7 620m dual-core, 4GB RAM, and NVidia NVS 5100M, and the latest BIOS which I think is F.60 at this point. I'm running El Capitan pretty successfully (had several growing pains, but got it to install finally). Here's what works:

Audio (using VoodooHDA 2.8.4 with a couple tweaks to its plist file to enable volume and mute controls)

Clover bootloader (v3438), injecting several kexts and NVidia driver (I've tried the web driver several times, boots to a KP and immediately reboots)

VoodooPS2Controller.kext: keyboard and trackpad work great, with 2-finger scroll and taps. I can even use the Trackpad prefpane to adjust most things. The capacitive mute and volume controls even work, as does the WiFi switch.

USB2.0: Needed a minor tweak to replace the DSDT reference to the internal USB2 channel. DSDT presents it as ECHI, it needs to change to ECH1. I think GenericUSBXHCI.kext can handle that.

USB3.0 seems to be detected, and I think I can use the ports on my docking station, but the internal ports on the right are dead (but they were dead in Windows, too; I think a picofuse blew in the internal USB3 hub)

WiFi: Replaced the default WiFi card with an eBay HP Broadcom unit. I also had to inject ProBookARPT.kext via clover

Webcam!! Yes, the internal USB webcam works!

External displays (I think): had to tweak Clover config to add an NVCAP value and some other config strings. At the least I can now use AirPlay and AirParrot (for my Chromecast)

What doesn't work:

Sleep: goes to sleep and immediately reawakens, with some audio crackle just before sleep. Kbd and trackpad work perfectly fine, audio and everything else works perfectly fine after wake.

Backlight brightness: Injected ACPIBrightness.kext. That makes the brightness fn keys trigger a response in the OS (brightness bezel/meter pops up on screen), but no actual brightness change

Battery/charging status: I've tried injecting ACPIBattery, VoodooBattery, modified AppleBattery, and one other, and none of them work. They all cause the OS to recognize that a battery can be installed on the system, but none of them recognize the battery that is present nor indicate charging/AC or battery level.

Installation was really odd. I built an El Capitan USB installer, modified it with Clover, and it would boot to the point where the kernel started looking for the main installer partition. Due to the DSDT presenting the internal USB2 hub as ECHI, install boot would die at that point. It might have worked with the internal USB3 ports, but mine are dead. I ended up using the USB3 ports on my dock station, no further boot issues and install worked fine. If I had known at that point about GenericUSBXHCI.kext, that might have allowed me to use the internal 2.0 ports for install, but it worked out OK.

This laptop is sort of odd. It has 2 variations: mine is the dual-core model, with 2 RAM slots, and they have a quad-core variation with 4 RAM slots, 2 different motherboards. Both support i5/i7 and maybe i3, but the dual mobo won't support quad, and the quad mobo probably won't support the dual core CPU. The quad-core model does support at least 16GB RAM (possibly 32 with the right modules); the dual version might do 16GB with the right modules, but will definitely support 8GB.

I would be interested in getting the list of "not working" items fixed, particularly sleep and battery. I've seen various things for the 8540w, including this very thread (and apparently p and w models only differ in the installed NVidia card), so maybe something here will work for me, too.