Testers Wanted - Zotac GTX 460 black screen issue

derda

85 posts in this topic

Happy to see some results, but is it thanks to the ROM or is it the drivers ?

Definitely the ROM. Without the modified NVenabler kext and with graphics enabler set to "y", I boot straight into black screen. I can only boot without the kext into safe mode.

Have had a couple of kernel panics in last few days, even with Wallsaver "flurry" running, and/or VLC with a 5 second h264 of black frames. I'm now looping a 10 second real video clip in VLC and all has been fine for last 18 hours or so.

Yes I had those. Now I've tried all kind of things and currently:

If I've NVEnabler 64 (all from wisemangroup) in /Extra/Extensions nothing happens, but if I put them into System/Libr*/Extensions my system boot hangs at:

Nvenabler probe shadow rom enable

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi Derda. Just curious - have you ever had your system running with another graphics card? Like I suggested to you via email, I think you should get an older, known working graphics card and start from scratch using one of the many available install guides on this or other forums. Try searching for someone with system specs (eg mobo/cpu) close to yours and use their settings as a guide. That's how I got mine running 3 years ago from a thread on this forum where someone had posted a step by step guide for my board (GA-P35 DS4). I followed that thread over the last 3 years and have been able to move up to 10.6.7 with very little issues. Luckily, my system runs on a vanilla kernel, and only needs a legacy audio and fakesmc kext (at least until I upgraded to the Zotac :wacko: ). In any case, your system may require a bit more tweaking to boot even with an older card, let alone the 460.

Hope you find success soon!

weismangroup no I have no old card and as Linux is my main OS I won't bother about ATI...

Ok, now I've booted with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and it seems to recognize my card and boots but is frozen.

Probably I need to reinstall chamaleon? I simply clicked install the rc5 prerelease from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. How to cleanly reinstall chamaleon or from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]?

Thanks again

Definitely the ROM. Without the modified NVenabler kext and with graphics enabler set to "y", I boot straight into black screen. I can only boot without the kext into safe mode.

Ok, it's a nice step for the work in progress on nVidia, if I generalize the mods I tested here, we might get rid of some more output issues.

That's great news, I'm glad to hear that your findings might help with other nvidia cards too.

--

derda: provide more information, otherwise nobody can help you.

Maybe you have another nvidia graphics injector active, causing a conflict with NVEnabler.

Please confirm that you're running 10.6.7 and that you have the March 2011 Nvidia Quadro drivers installed.

Run Terminal, type kextstat -k > ~/desktop/kextstat.txt then zip and attach the file here. Use the full editor to attach files.

Post the contents of your /extra/com.apple.Boot.plist and smbios.plist.

Post your motherboard and CPU make/model.

Also

Error - kext net.osrom.kext.Disabler declares com.apple.kernel dependencies. Only com.apple.kpi.* dependencies are supported for 64-bit kexts.

Can't load kext net.osrom.kext.Disabler - failed to resolve library dependencies.

Kext net.osrom.kext.Disabler failed to load (0xdc00800e).

Failed to load kext net.osrom.kext.Disabler (error 0xdc00800e).

Couldn't alloc class "Disabler"

If you can boot without it, then you probably don't need it.

Hi Gringo

yes on 10.6.7, Nvidia drivers of March, no other NV loader/injector. Attached the files.

Intel core 2 duo E8500 and Asus P5K Pro

Yes the card seems ok with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] only the mouse frozen. it loads VoodooPS2synaptictsTrackpad and ApplePS2Trackpad!

Updated to chimera 1.3 but still nvidia only fully loads from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], stucks at shadow rom enable otherwise.

untitled_folder.zip

Works finally. :thumbsup_anim:

with the newest [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

Thanks to everybody!

Do I need to always loop a *.mov to avoid freeze? My 3D apps works but crashes

after a while...need to investigate, if it's osx86 related let me know.

Have a nice day.

-----------

Unknown nVidia card:

Chipset Model: Unknown nVidia card

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 0 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0e22

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: 70.04.1B.00.B0

Displays:

L225W:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Display Connector:

Hey Zotac GTX users... I've found a somewhat more elegant solution. No need for NVEnabler! Using a build of Chameleon with display-cfg support patched in (Chimera; recent builds of Chameleon in general) I have a working config!

Place the patched rom in /Extra/, and name it "10de_0e22.rom"

Make sure these lines are present in com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>NVCAP</key>
<string>04000000000003000c0000000000000a00000000</string>
<key>UseNvidiaROM</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>VBIOS</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>display_0</key>
<string>03030100</string>
<key>display_1</key>
<string>FFFF0801</string>

It also produces a proper System Profiler Output!

Hi everyone, I have a Zotac GTX 460 1GB too, but I have it working since November when the Quadro Drivers came out, I use HDMI to connect it to my monitor, and gives me full resolution (1920 x 1080) and QE/CI aceleration. In order to get it working I use DSDT to insert my card.

I have only two issues

1.- The first boot every day gives me Blue Screen, I push the power to suspend the machine, and push it again to wake and that gives me the login screen back, if I restart after that I don´t have that issue again, only at the next day at the first boot.

2.- Kernel Panic (fermi Freeze), some times I got this like many others with 460, I use the VLC to play a loop video in other space and no KP any more.

In my Boot.plist I dont have the PCIRoot=1

I have a i5 750, GA-P55A UD3P motherboard with DSDT.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @ all

I have the zotac gt460 on my asus rampage II and trie ro get it work.

I tried Method 1 from Gringo ( self edit info.plist and use weismangroup info.plist)

both give me a kernel panix at boot.

I trie Method 2 but have an problem du edit the nvidia.c

I tried this Method but nothing change:

Hey Zotac GTX users... I've found a somewhat more elegant solution. No need for NVEnabler! Using a build of Chameleon with display-cfg support patched in (Chimera; recent builds of Chameleon in general) I have a working config!

Place the patched rom in /Extra/, and name it "10de_0e22.rom"

Make sure these lines are present in com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>NVCAP</key>
<string>04000000000003000c0000000000000a00000000</string>
<key>UseNvidiaROM</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>VBIOS</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>display_0</key>
<string>03030100</string>
<key>display_1</key>
<string>FFFF0801</string>

It also produces a proper System Profiler Output!

Can someone from them wo get it working please help me ?

Sorry for my bad English

I tried Method 1 from Gringo ( self edit info.plist and use weismangroup info.plist)

Don't mix injection methods unless you know what you're doing. If you use NVEnabler with weismangroup's info.plist, don't use GraphicsEnabler=y, don't use Chameleon to load your VBIOS and don't inject anything video related via DSDT.

It is hard to help you or suggest anything, you need to provide more information.

1.- The first boot every day gives me Blue Screen, I push the power to suspend the machine, and push it again to wake and that gives me the login screen back, if I restart after that I don´t have that issue again, only at the next day at the first boot.

This happens when the drivers get confused about the order of your display outputs. There are two ways to fix this - one is by injecting a custom NVCAP that sets the display port you are using as the primary display output - the other way is simpler - try the monitor outputs until you find the one that OS X sees as the primary output. Of course, depending on available cables/adapters/display types, this is not always possible. You can try a DVI-HDMI adaptor on a DVI port.

2.- Kernel Panic (fermi Freeze), some times I got this like many others with 460, I use the VLC to play a loop video in other space and no KP any more.

There is no fix for this.

In my Boot.plist I dont have the PCIRoot=1

You don't need it, don't worry about it.

Don't mix injection methods unless you know what you're doing. If you use NVEnabler with weismangroup's info.plist, don't use GraphicsEnabler=y, don't use Chameleon to load your VBIOS and don't inject anything video related via DSDT.

It is hard to help you or suggest anything, you need to provide more information.

Hi Gringo

I do it like you tell it. intsall Nvenabler via [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] replace the info.plist with weismangrups´s

and use the com.apple.Boot.plist attached.

after restart i get a kernel panic and only can boot with -f flag

Can the Problem be an difference between the Zotac GeForce GTX 460 AMP! Edition

and Zotac GeForce GTX 460

com.apple.Boot.plist.zip

I am not familiar with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. I guess it's possible that it doesn't use the latest version of NVEnabler? Or that you aren't re-installing NVEnabler properly after replacing the info.plist.

Attach a photo of the kernel panic.

Hi Gringo

I am not familiar with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. I guess it's possible that it doesn't use the latest version of NVEnabler? Or that you aren't re-installing NVEnabler properly after replacing the info.plist.

I install the newest NVEnabler munally go to /content/info.plist and replace it.

Then i have to reinstall Nvenabler ???

Attach a photo of the kernel panic.

http://img402.images.../img0115nyj.jpg

http://img508.images...4/img0116fr.jpg

http://img861.images...5/img0117ky.jpg

http://img33.imagesh.../img0118gwf.jpg

I also Try this Method but at boot i get :

Unable to read vbis /Extra/10de_0e22.rom

Im not shure I am done to right so i explain it short.

I downloaded the GF104_patched.bin.zip unpack it

rename the GF104_patched.bin to 10de_0e22.rom

copy it to /extra

edit the com.apple.Boot.plist

restart

I install the newest NVEnabler munally go to /content/info.plist and replace it.

Then i have to reinstall Nvenabler ???

You have to modify it before you install it.

If you modify it after installing it you will break permissions and ownership on it and then it will not load.

Your kernel panic is related to Firewire, not graphics:

img0117ky.jpg

Until you get that sorted you can try disabling Firewire in the BIOS.

Slowly going off topic here.. your current issues have nothing to do with your video card, working or not.

Your photo is terrible but it looks like IOAHCISerialATAPI and IOAHCIFamily, unplug your DVD drive and see if it goes away.

I think your OS X installation or your hardware has more serious issues than just graphics not working.

Hi everybody,

As I said on the other forum (http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=370&view=findpost&p=14470) this patched ROM was only a test solution.

In this one I roughly trashed everything that was not DVI, now we know that it helps, I could probably improve things and bring back other outputs to life.

If people with the required hardware are interested to test (DP/HDMI display), make me know, if you have a special variation of the card/ROM I'd need it too.

Hi everybody, I have the Zotac GTX 460 throught HDM only with my modified DSDT, but recently I bought a viewsonic monitor with DVI and VGA, and I face the black screen issue if I use the DVI port :( so i read all the 4 pages and I i make a little modification to my DSDT with the NVCAP and Displaycfg from Krazubu and I get all Working with full resolution (1080p) and with Acceleration this is GFX section from my DSDT

Device (GFX0)
               {
                   Name (_ADR, Zero)
                   Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                   {
                       Store (Package (0x1A)
                           {
                               "@0,compatible", 
                               Buffer (0x0B)
                               {
                                   "NVDA,NVMac"
                               }, 

"@0,device_type", 
                               Buffer (0x08)
                               {
                                   "display"
                               }, 

"@0,display_cfg", 
                               Buffer (0x08)
                               {
                                   0x03, 0x03, 0x01, 0x00
                               }, 

"@0,name", 
                               Buffer (0x0F)
                               {
                                   "NVDA,Display-A"
                               }, 

"@1,compatible", 
                               Buffer (0x0B)
                               {
                                   "NVDA,NVMac"
                               }, 

"@1,device_type", 
                               Buffer (0x08)
                               {
                                   "display"
                               }, 

"@1,display_cfg", 
                               Buffer (0x08)
                               {
                                   0xFF, 0xFF, 0x08, 0x01
                               }, 

"@1,name", 
                               Buffer (0x0F)
                               {
                                   "NVDA,Display-B"
                               }, 

"NVCAP", 
                               Buffer (0x14)
                               {
                                   /* 0000 */    0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x03, 0x00, 
                                   /* 0008 */    0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x0A, 
                                   /* 0010 */    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                               }, 

"VRAM,totalsize", 
                               Buffer (0x04)
                               {
                                   0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x40
                               }, 

"device_type", 
                               Buffer (0x0D)
                               {
                                   "NVDA,GeForce"
                               }, 

"model", 
                               Buffer (0x17)
                               {
                                   "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460"
                               }, 

"rom-revision", 
                               Buffer (0x0F)
                               {
                                   "70.04.13.00.A0"
                               }
                           }, Local0)
                       DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                       Return (Local0)
                   }
               }

I hope it can help someone :(

Cool, thanks for sharing.

The problem with using DSDT injection for fermi cards is that you will then not be able to boot a retail Snow Leopard DVD (Lion should work). If any kind of video injection is active it will just show a black screen - remember, the nvidia drivers that ship with Snow Leopard have no fermi support.

This is not a Hackintosh issue - the same thing will happen on a real Mac Pro running Snow Leopard - nvidia mentions this on the Quadro 4000 driver download page: If you just pop in your new Quadro 4000 without having installed the drivers for it first, you will see a black screen. Yes, a 1200 dollar video card that you can't use while installing your OS!! lol

Example scenario:

I keep a hard drive partition with the 10.6.3 DVD restored to it that I can boot into if I need to run Disk Utility on my main installation or if I {censored}ed up some experiment and need to run Terminal in order to fix it. However, because I have a GTX 460 I cannot boot this partition if I don't type GraphicsEnabler=n first.

If you Zotac dudes who can't use GraphicsEnabler need to do this, you can leave a DSDT in /Extra with no gfx0 device in it and name it DSDT_nogfx or something. Then when you want to boot your retail DVD partition, just type DSDT=DSDT_nogfx at the Chameleon boot prompt. If you don't type anything, Chameleon loads your regular DSDT.aml as usual.