[HowTo] Fix Network Problem with Intel PRO/100 VE

wtcnbrwndo4u

164 posts in this topic

Hi! I followed all the methods posted on this forum but i have a problem, i can't find the codes of my card because i have no windows partition on my notebook Vaio VGN Fe21h

If i go to System profile under the Networks i just can find Integrated Ethernet butere there are no codes just:

Ethernet integrata:

Tipo: Ethernet

Hardware: Ethernet

Nome dispositivo BSD: en0

IPv4:

Metodo di configurazione: DHCP

IPv6:

Metodo di configurazione: Automatico

Proxy:

Proxy FTP abilitato: No

Modalità passiva FTP: Sì

Proxy Gopher abilitato: No

Proxy HTTP abilitato: No

Proxy HTTPS abilitato: No

Proxy RTSP abilitato: No

Proxy SOCKS abilitato: No

How can i do to know the device edit of my card? please help me

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hi, is there a way to make IT working under snow Leopard? I can't find 8255x plugin ... Just 8254x one.

Thanks!

Mal

I used AppleIntel8255x.kext on my GA-8IG1000MK mobo with Intel® 82562EZ Ethernet (1050:8086 dev id) and Snow leo 10.6.2

Deleted all AppleIntelxx and Intel8xx kexts, and installed this kext with kext utility. No .plist editing needed since dev id 1050 is already there.

Everything is working now!

Using iDeneb 10.5.5 installed on an Intel 915GUX - 3.06 Celeron - 1 gb ram, 32 MB onboard Graphics*

http://sites.google.com/site/osx86guides/H...work-connection

I did and using your plan kinda worked with a few mods.

Somehow I 'lost' Show Package Contents and I couldn't find it anywhere as I inadvertantly assigned TextEdit to open up plist files. If someone could tell me where/how I can reconnect the default, I'll be happy.

So I had to use TextEdit.

• I deleted AppleIntel8255x.kext from System/Library/Extensions
  • I copied IONetworkingFamily.kext from S/L/E onto the desktop
  • I already had downloaded AppleIntel8255x.kext.zip from this site somewhere and copied the unzipped folder to the Desktop.
  • I opened the fresh AppleIntel8255x.kext folder and found another, exactly the same folder within it. This was probably why none of the other methods worked! After burrowing into the Contents in both folders, I opened the info.plist and replaced all vendor ids with the one below:
  • My Vendor ID looked like a dec and not hex - but with that sorted (0x10848086), I saved it.
  • You weren't clear on the next step: I had to drag and drop the AppleIntel8255x.kext folder onto the Contents/Plugins folder in IONetworkingFamily.kext. I double checked to see if the info.plist still had the correct vendor id (it did). I got trapped by that with other methods.
  • Then, using Kext Helper B7 (from OSx86tools - installed with iDeneb 10.5.5), I dragged and dropped the altered IONetworkingFamily.kext folder into it, clicked the easy install button and Presto Changeo the system immediately found my onboard Intel NIC! - NO CHMODS, permissions or anything!
  • I set it up as DHCP + router IP and within seconds I had connection!
  • I rebooted anyway and everything is working fine!

So thanks very much! :D

* This is a new board I bought a few years ago. Customised BIOS by IPC - but basically an Intel. I had it lying around for all that time and was surprised to find that it had some overclocking abilities.

If you have one of these boards, then after a while the mouse cursor dissappears. It looks like if everything is frozen, but I soon worked out it had something to do with power management. There must be a hack for that as when I set sleep/screen saver etc to NEVER - I avoided the problem.

MAN!!

That just worked for me!

Thanks a lot :D

Wow, just rebooted and it doesn't work anymore...

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks to various people for the Intel 100/PRO Ethernet fix. After several hours' of fettling my Hackindell is finally online. -_-

Just in case it helps someone I'll outline the steps I took:

Dell 5150c with P4 3.4GHz SSE3; 2Gb DDR2 RAM; Maxtor 250Gb SATA with 3 primary partitions (created using Diskpart from within XP)

Installed Iatkos 4i (10.5.4) with Darwin Boot and Apple ACPI (i.e first two boxes ticked) also SATA (first of the two SATA options) and Intel Pro 100 optional drivers. Nothing else.

Speedstep switched off in BIOS, Hyperthreading left on.

This installed fine but Ethernet registered as Cable Unplugged.

Attempted the first fix on this thread, i.e adding 0x27dc8086 to the .plist.

However sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache resulted in file not found.

So instead I tried sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext which worked.

Then sudo kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

Then Open Disk Utility and Repair Disk Permissions and reboot. Still not working.

Followed up with c0ldgirl's fix:

sudo -s

nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

then I added -f under the kernel flags section

then ctrl+x

then y

then enter

(Also changed the timeout to 20 so I have more time to switch between Leopard and XP).

Still not working. So I booted in verbose mode using -v flag then checked the log using

sudo dmesg

and found

"skipping duplicate extension com.apple.driver.AppleIntel8255x"

Hmm that didn't sound good. So I went hunting and sure enough in /System/Library/Extensions

there was another AppleIntel8255x.kext

So I edited the Info.plist in this as well, adding 27dc8086 as detailed in post 1 of this thread.

On rebooting my Ethernet finally worked.

For fun I tried removing the -f kernel flag added previously but it seems to need that. I should probably remove one of the AppleIntel8255x.kext but don't want to risk it for the moment. I bet if I hadn't ticked the option to add this driver in Iatkos there would not be a duplicate problem.

Frugi, you are the man. I'd been trying everything on these forums too, but it seems the second instance of AppleIntel8255.kext was the final straw. You're probably right. With the limited experience I've had with various installers, it does seem as though less is more, and that there would be no duplicate without installing these extra drivers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27DC&SUBSYS_30868086&REV_01\4&1C11C&0&40F0

if you are using leopard

install this asus p 4800vm.pkg

intelpro_100_ve_driver_copy.zip

then using kext helper http://www.cheetha.net/Kext_Helper/Softwar...20b7.zipinstall this kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

reboot

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if it says cable is unplugged

sudo -s

nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

then I added -f under the kernal flags section

then ctrl+x

then y

then enter

PICTURE

post-156243-1201153223_thumb.png

you should have a working internet.

;):P:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
ok i figured out what the problem is. technically the guide is perfect, except you have to put in your actual device id and vendor id.

--boot into XP (idk if you can do this in osx if its not working to begin with, or if you even can in osx at all)

--Right-click on My Computer and go to Manage

--On the left, click Device Manager

--expand Network stuff

--right-click on the Pro 100/VE device, click properties

--click the details tab

--the first two parts of the long string in the window are what you need.

----it will say PCI\VEN_XXXX&DEV_XXXX....... etc

----note those two XXXX values. for my Pro 100/VE the vendor id was the same 8086 but the device id was 1092

--write those down and reboot to osx

--go back to the Info.plist file from the guide above and use the new 0x[device id][vendor id] instead of the one in the guide.

for me this just meant using 0x10928086 instead of 0x27dc8086. i did the rest of the guide the same, sudo rm etc.... and then restarted and it worked. i just used the network assistant and it connected to the network and now my osx is much more useful!

Hi.I have exactly same device id as yours,but when I write in Terminal "sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache" the system said that there is no such directory or file.What should i do?

• 3 weeks later...
I don't see this posted, so I'm making a HowTo.

Anyways, this for when you have Intel PRO/100 VE. When you go into System Preferences/Network and your Built-In Ethernet is not show/grayed out, this is the fix for you.

You are required to add a product ID AppleIntel8255x.kext, which is located here:

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntel8255x.kext/Contents/Info.plist

If you don't know how to get into the kext, right click it and choose "Show Package Contents."

Anyways, you will find the following line.

You will have to add the following bit to the end of that line.

In the end, it will look like this:

Save the .plist file (save it to the desktop with the name "Info.plist" and then drag it into the Contents folder for AppleIntel8255x.kext. It will ask for authentication, which you say yes to (must type password if you have one).

Open up Terminal and type in the following

Open Disk Utility and Repair Disk Permissions.

Reboot.

Completed! Open up System Preferences/Network and you should see your Built-In Ethernet

I would love to post a thanks on this post , but I have no AppleIntel8255x.kext in the place that you mentioned. I have used iDeneb v1.6, was I supposed to in stall something during the main install? I have a working leopard 10.5.8( except audio and Ethernet).

I am a complete noob and would like to at least get the internet working on my PC thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I don't see this posted, so I'm making a HowTo.

Anyways, this for when you have Intel PRO/100 VE. When you go into System Preferences/Network and your Built-In Ethernet is not show/grayed out, this is the fix for you.

You are required to add a product ID AppleIntel8255x.kext, which is located here:

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntel8255x.kext/Contents/Info.plist

If you don't know how to get into the kext, right click it and choose "Show Package Contents."

Anyways, you will find the following line.

You will have to add the following bit to the end of that line.

In the end, it will look like this:

Save the .plist file (save it to the desktop with the name "Info.plist" and then drag it into the Contents folder for AppleIntel8255x.kext. It will ask for authentication, which you say yes to (must type password if you have one).

Open up Terminal and type in the following

Open Disk Utility and Repair Disk Permissions.

Reboot.

Completed! Open up System Preferences/Network and you should see your Built-In Ethernet

If still doesn't work, delete AppleHPET.kext and it should work for you...

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi everyone

I have a Toshiba Satellite A100-750 (PSAARE) with an Intel PRO/100VE NIC.

the problem is that I tried all the solutions posted here BUT the NIC dosn't want to show up :(

if someone has a fix please let me know that :)

I use iDeneb 10.5.8; Intel Core2 Duo T5200 @1.60 GHz, 2 GB 533 Mhz DDR2 SODIMM.

thanks for your cooperation!!

ps: I don't know the PCI/VEN id. Someone has a method for knowing that directly inside Leo? because I don't have a linux/Win XP cd.

EDIT: it's 1092 and 8086. found using DSL image (only 44 Mb)