[HowTo] Fix Network Problem with Intel PRO/100 VE

wtcnbrwndo4u

164 posts in this topic

here is what i do to make it work in leopard:

right click /System/Library/Extensions folder and click "Get Info", click the padlock button below and enter your root password when prompted then click the "+" icon and add your user account giving it read+write permission then click ok..

open the Extensions folder and find IONetworkingFamily.kext then drag and drop it on the desktop or some place(backup is a good idea). now, unzip the file that i attached below and drag it in /System/Library/Extensions.

delete /System/Library/Extensions.mkext (you can delete it on the finder or by typing this on the terminal "sudo rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.mkext"

repair permission and reboot your system

if all goes well, you should be able to see your network card listed.

if it happens that you see your network card but says that there is no ethernet cable plugged in, just delete/System/Library/Extension.mkext and reboot your system. it may or may not resolve the issue but in my case it works so just give it a try..

It's just work fine on my Dell Dimension 5150!

Briliant Dude! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'am trying to install Intel Pro/100 VE on Kalyway leopard 10.5.2... can anyone give me a solutions as replacing ID do not work and the remplacement .kext don't work to...

well... at least i know i'm not the ONLY one in this exact location with the exact problems. i've tried ALL the solutions on this thread, none of which, have worked for me. My devide is 104b8086 (82566DC Gigabit Network Connection), and everything else is working (that i know of... not really that worried about the sound as of now). PLEASE... i'd love to not have to go out and drop $2k just to have a working Leopard machine at the house.

maybe Kaly can weigh in on this??? ANYBODY with another idea or a theory would be greatly appreciated... thanks in advance!

Hey People I'm online ;) and using ToH Leopard 10.5 and Intel pro/100 VE which is full functional and working like charm and I repeat I'M ONLINE WRITING THIS POST NOW

All I did is the instructions ...copied my vendor and device ID and the Terminal "sudo ..... bla bla bla

and made the repair permissions and Voila !

I have tried everything on this guide to get my Intel pro 100 to work on my Leopard Kalyway installation with no sucess. Is there anything else I can do? Im using a HP laptop from the dv2000 series, model number is dv2222la.

thanks in advance

i need help i have an intel pro ve / 100 ethernet card and i am running 10.5.2 leopard. my pc is sony pcv-rs710g. i have tried so many things and i don't know what to do anymore. also i need one that works with time machine. in the network window it says cable unplugged. its not unplugged.

vendor id - 8086

device id- 1050

^those are my ven and dev ids

Dell Inspiron 530 with the on-board Intel 82562V-2.

Problem is, I no longer have windows installed, and the Ethernet isn't showing up in the Network panel to let me find my Device ID... is there any other way i can obtain that?

i've tried several of the suggestions here, but to no avail. I suspect i've done more harm than good by moshing up all the different suggestions, so i'm going to do a clean install in hopes i can get it sorted. any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

tasillo, thanks for reposting the helper...

however, unless i'm doing something wrong (which seems almost impossible under Vakakush's method), it's still not working for me, Card isn't even detected in the profiler.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Toshiba A105 S4094 it has an Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connection-10/100 Base-TX Ethernet, it also has Integrated Intel Pro/Wireless Network connection 3945ABG. Then installation went of with out a hitch. It found both cores of my processor, but not the network card. Which I found is normal. Now this might sound like a noobish questions, but what is the product ID so that I can add it to the info.plist to support the network card. Any help would be great. I have tried all the work arounds on this page an not a one works. I think the issue is that I can not find the right Product key to add. But really I am new to the hackintosh community. Again any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have a Toshiba A105 S4094 it has an Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connection-10/100 Base-TX Ethernet, it also has Integrated Intel Pro/Wireless Network connection 3945ABG. Then installation went of with out a hitch. It found both cores of my processor, but not the network card. Which I found is normal. Now this might sound like a noobish questions, but what is the product ID so that I can add it to the info.plist to support the network card. Any help would be great. I have tried all the work arounds on this page an not a one works. I think the issue is that I can not find the right Product key to add. But really I am new to the hackintosh community. Again any help would be greatly appreciated!

hxxp://osx86.wikidot.com/how-to-s#toc7

Read this windows and OS X ways to find Hardware ids

hope it helps :-)

It seems to work part-way. I have an 82557 and while it shows up in SysPrefs, it always says cable unplugged. Ifconfig as root doesn't even recognise the en0 interface which I suspect is a good deal of the problem.

Any ideas on where to go--everything hasn't worked thus far...

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...
ok i figured out what the problem is. technically the guide is perfect, except you have to put in your actual device id and vendor id.

--boot into XP (idk if you can do this in osx if its not working to begin with, or if you even can in osx at all)

--Right-click on My Computer and go to Manage

--On the left, click Device Manager

--expand Network stuff

--right-click on the Pro 100/VE device, click properties

--click the details tab

--the first two parts of the long string in the window are what you need.

----it will say PCI\VEN_XXXX&DEV_XXXX....... etc

----note those two XXXX values. for my Pro 100/VE the vendor id was the same 8086 but the device id was 1092

--write those down and reboot to osx

--go back to the Info.plist file from the guide above and use the new 0x[device id][vendor id] instead of the one in the guide.

for me this just meant using 0x10928086 instead of 0x27dc8086. i did the rest of the guide the same, sudo rm etc.... and then restarted and it worked. i just used the network assistant and it connected to the network and now my osx is much more useful!

Really thanks, this worked for me! Now I get Time Machine too! Thanks again!! :):D

hey.

entering the command "sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache"

into the terminal results in a 'no such file or directory' output.

after navigation into these files, i conclude that the proper extention is

/System/Library/Extensions.mkext

this results in a command not found. :D

help?

Hello friends

I was finally able to install intel pro lan on my intel mac.

i simply followed instruction of changing the vendor and manufacturers Ids and it worked.

I tried it in freshly installed copy of leopard.

I made a small change......

instead of typing the old line....

"sudo rm /System/Library/extensions.kextcache" which many times give error of "file not found"

i wrote

"sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext"

"sudo kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions"

rebuid the disc permissions

and reboot

yooooooooooooooo

happy surfing friends

In this case my vendor ID was 1092 and manufacturers ID was 8086......

I appear to have a different issue. My network card comes and goes. If I reboot, there's a good chance that I'll get the network cable unplugged message. If I reboot several times, eventually it will show back up again. I'm using Kalyway 10.5.2 on a Dell Dimentia E310 with the Intel Pro/100 VE ID 0x10648086. The ID wasn't in the .plist file and it didn't make any difference after I added it. Still the same situation, regardless... :lol:

WR nextgenfx

i had the similar problem before this install.

I used to reboot everytime i plugged in the network cable otherwise it wound have not been listed in the network adapter list.

couple of times i booted with "-x" (safeboot) and at times with "-f" (bypass the boot loader file)

Both times it used to work....but in normal boot it used to be faded up / disabled.

i simply reinstalled and kalyway 10.5.2 and during customization .....i manually removed many drivers which i know are no present in my system.......thereafter i did the magic trick which i have recently described and my network is back again and now for last fortnight it is working.......

still i am facing one problem......at my home is use DSL and at my workplace i used LAN....while switching to any of these i need to reboot............but at least it is working.......

• 1 month later...

Thanks to various people for the Intel 100/PRO Ethernet fix. After several hours' of fettling my Hackindell is finally online. :D

Just in case it helps someone I'll outline the steps I took:

Dell 5150c with P4 3.4GHz SSE3; 2Gb DDR2 RAM; Maxtor 250Gb SATA with 3 primary partitions (created using Diskpart from within XP)

Installed Iatkos 4i (10.5.4) with Darwin Boot and Apple ACPI (i.e first two boxes ticked) also SATA (first of the two SATA options) and Intel Pro 100 optional drivers. Nothing else.

Speedstep switched off in BIOS, Hyperthreading left on.

This installed fine but Ethernet registered as Cable Unplugged.

Attempted the first fix on this thread, i.e adding 0x27dc8086 to the .plist.

However sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache resulted in file not found.

So instead I tried sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext which worked.

Then sudo kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

Then Open Disk Utility and Repair Disk Permissions and reboot. Still not working.

Followed up with c0ldgirl's fix:

sudo -s

nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

then I added -f under the kernel flags section

then ctrl+x

then y

then enter

(Also changed the timeout to 20 so I have more time to switch between Leopard and XP).

Still not working. So I booted in verbose mode using -v flag then checked the log using

sudo dmesg

and found

"skipping duplicate extension com.apple.driver.AppleIntel8255x"

Hmm that didn't sound good. So I went hunting and sure enough in /System/Library/Extensions

there was another AppleIntel8255x.kext

So I edited the Info.plist in this as well, adding 27dc8086 as detailed in post 1 of this thread.

On rebooting my Ethernet finally worked.

For fun I tried removing the -f kernel flag added previously but it seems to need that. I should probably remove one of the AppleIntel8255x.kext but don't want to risk it for the moment. I bet if I hadn't ticked the option to add this driver in Iatkos there would not be a duplicate problem.