[HowTo] Fix Network Problem with Intel PRO/100 VE

wtcnbrwndo4u

164 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
I don't see this posted, so I'm making a HowTo.

Anyways, this for when you have Intel PRO/100 VE. When you go into System Preferences/Network and your Built-In Ethernet is not show/grayed out, this is the fix for you.

You are required to add a product ID AppleIntel8255x.kext, which is located here:

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntel8255x.kext/Contents/Info.plist

If you don't know how to get into the kext, right click it and choose "Show Package Contents."

Anyways, you will find the following line.

You will have to add the following bit to the end of that line.

In the end, it will look like this:

Save the .plist file (save it to the desktop with the name "Info.plist" and then drag it into the Contents folder for AppleIntel8255x.kext. It will ask for authentication, which you say yes to (must type password if you have one).

Open up Terminal and type in the following

Open Disk Utility and Repair Disk Permissions.

Reboot.

Completed! Open up System Preferences/Network and you should see your Built-In Ethernet

I have been trying solutuons for days withno luck but I have a question, where and how do I find the product ID AppleIntel8255x.kext I fond the line where to eter the 0x.... bit how do I find my ID... since I tried the one provided and dint work??

Thank you

I have a Intel 82566M ethernet on my ThinkPad, and did try the suggested solution by adding 0x10498086 to the .kext file; did not work. Since this guide is for 8255x cards and mine is 8256x do you think I should persist and add -f to appleboot? Anyone had success with a 82566M card?

I wanted to add what I did to get the network to work under Leopard 10.5.0 on my Dell 4700 with the Intel Pro/100 VE onboard nic. The network was saying the cable was unplugged so I opened terminal and typed this:

sudo -s

nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

then I added -f under the kernal flags section

then ctrl+x

then y

then enter

go here for screen shots to get a clearer picture of what you might see :

http://www.neonkoala.co.uk/content/view/33/34

This worked great for me as well. Using Kalyway 10.5.1 in Intel D915GAG board. Thanks!

here is what i do to make it work in leopard:

right click /System/Library/Extensions folder and click "Get Info", click the padlock button below and enter your root password when prompted then click the "+" icon and add your user account giving it read+write permission then click ok..

open the Extensions folder and find IONetworkingFamily.kext then drag and drop it on the desktop or some place(backup is a good idea). now, unzip the file that i attached below and drag it in /System/Library/Extensions.

delete /System/Library/Extensions.mkext (you can delete it on the finder or by typing this on the terminal "sudo rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.mkext"

repair permission and reboot your system

if all goes well, you should be able to see your network card listed.

if it happens that you see your network card but says that there is no ethernet cable plugged in, just delete/System/Library/Extension.mkext and reboot your system. it may or may not resolve the issue but in my case it works so just give it a try..

i was apply this method,but after repair permission,leopard not boot and appear text:"kernel panic"please guide me fix it.thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd add that I'm running a Thinkpad T40 (2374-KU1). I followed the method exactly but realized the number that you append in the plist file should be your OWN Intel PRO/100 vendor and device id. In my case, my Intel PRO/100 Ethernet has a device id of 103d and a vendor id of 8086, so the line inserted in my case was 0x103d8086. Vendor and device ids can be found in Windows' device manager for your Intel PRO/100 Chipset.

Dang, no joy.

If Windows stated that the ethernet was Intel Pro/100 VE--then any or all of the following these should work, right?

I've tried all of these but the torrent (right now there are no seeds and only about one-fourth of the file) and still nada. Every single time, Network pane still reads "Cable Unplugged."

Anyone have any other ideas?

It's frustrating--this is the only thing that doesn't work on my OSX86 install (and interestingly, the most important thing I need). :)

PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27DC&SUBSYS_30868086&REV_01\4&1C11C&0&40F0

if you are using tiger

after installing this asus p 4800vm.pkg

intelpro_100_ve_driver_copy.zip

follow the instructions given below

this package is working driver for intel pro/100ve lan

and you will be able to connect to internet

this for when you have Intel PRO/100 VE. When you go into System Preferences/Network and your Built-In Ethernet is not show/grayed out, this is the fix for you.

You are required to add a product ID to AppleIntel8255x.kext, which is located here:

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntel8255x.kext/Contents/Info.plist

If you don't know how to get into the kext, right click it and choose "Show Package Contents."

or you can also use

nano /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntel8225x.kext/Contents/Info.plist

PICTURE

post-156243-1201154114_thumb.png

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x10518086 0x10508086 0x10298086 0x10308086&0xfff0ffff 0x12098086 0x12278086 0x12288086 0x12298086 0x24498086 0x24598086 0x245d8086 0x10918086 0x10608086&0xfff0ffff </string>

0x27dc8086

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x10518086 0x10508086 0x10298086 0x10308086&0xfff0ffff 0x12098086 0x12278086 0x12288086 0x12298086 0x24498086 0x24598086 0x245d8086 0x10918086 0x10608086&0xfff0ffff 0x27dc8086</string>

Save the .plist file (save it to the desktop with the name "Info.plist" and then drag it into the Contents folder for AppleIntel8255x.kext. It will ask for authentication, which you say yes to (must type password if you have one).

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

sudo kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

Reboot.

Completed! Open up System Preferences/Network and you should see your Built-In Ethernet

from anand

thanks to wtcnbrwndo4u

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if you are using leopard

install this asus p 4800vm.pkg

then using kext helper http://www.cheetha.net/Kext_Helper/Softwar...20b7.zipinstall this kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

reboot

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if it says cable is unplugged

sudo -s

then ctrl+x

then y

then enter

PICTURE

post-156243-1201153223_thumb.png

you should have a working internet.

:):D:P:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

if you are using tiger

after installing this asus p 4800vm.pkg

follow the instructions given below

this package contains driver for intel pro/100ve lan

and you will be able to connect to internet

this for when you have Intel PRO/100 VE. When you go into System Preferences/Network and your Built-In Ethernet is not show/grayed out, this is the fix for you.

You are required to add a product ID AppleIntel8255x.kext, which is located here:

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x10518086 0x10508086 0x10298086 0x10308086&0xfff0ffff 0x12098086 0x12278086 0x12288086 0x12298086 0x24498086 0x24598086 0x245d8086 0x10918086 0x10608086&0xfff0ffff </string>

0x27dc8086

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x10518086 0x10508086 0x10298086 0x10308086&0xfff0ffff 0x12098086 0x12278086 0x12288086 0x12298086 0x24498086 0x24598086 0x245d8086 0x10918086 0x10608086&0xfff0ffff 0x27dc8086</string>

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

sudo kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

Reboot.

from anand

thanks to wtcnbrwndo4u

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if you are using leopard

install this asus p 4800vm.pkg

then using kext helper

install this kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

reboot

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if it says cable is unplugged

sudo -s

then ctrl+x

then y

then enter

PICTURE

post-156243-1201153223_thumb.png

you should have a working internet.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

OK, I'm using iATKOSv 1.0i (Leopard 10.5.1/9B18)

I'll do a fresh install first--but then I apply the Asus Pkg using the included tool, correct?

Do I need to repair disk permissions before I reboot?

I'll do a fresh install first--but then I apply the Asus Pkg using the included tool, correct?

USE KALYWAY DVD COZ iATKOS IS ****(no audio no network)believe me

USE KALYWAY DVD COZ iATKOS IS ****(no audio no network)believe me

I can't even get kalyway to run after install. It cycles and constantly reboots. Tried about 15 times--same result. I'm using iATKOS simply because I know it will boot.

I'll give kalyway one more go--hang on.

do not install vanilla kernel + acpi fix

after doing this you will be able to boot

OK, I selected the default stuff, and vanilla stuff isn't selected. Install finished and yielded a b0 error. Even with the repairs, I get the b0 error.

I've found how to fix it--so let me go back into the terminal:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/B0_error

Of course--I have an Asus P5LP-LE (HP/Compaq name Leonite) mobo and intel 945 chipset. Pentium D 820 2.8GHz processor. So I know I have the guts for it (unlike my old pc).

Thanks a million!!!!!!!! I have a Gateway GT5026E with the original post's NIC specs.

The purple post worked. Auto DHCP didn't work until I tried using the DHCP with assigned address. XD XD XD

I'm so happy.

I'm using Leopard.

Anyways, this for when you have Intel PRO/100 VE. When you go into System Preferences/Network and your Built-In Ethernet is not show/grayed out, this is the fix for you.

Reboot.

Hey man.... thanks a lot for the instructions.... I did exactly like you said... but now when i click on network icon in the system prefrences it stops responding... i dont know what i did wroge but i definately could use some help... thanks

ok, im new to this. i know i shouldnt even be fooling with this but oh well. im having the problem w/ the built in ethernet will not show up. im using the jas 10.4.8. ive tried everything in this thread and it still will not work (all the steps go smoothly without any errors but in the end it still will not show up). i have tried multiple reinstalls and no go. is there something wrong w/ this version?

next step will be to reinstall windhoes and throw this peice of {censored} in the back yard

Reboot.

Hi everybody,

this is one of my first posts, so I apologize for any mistake I might be doing... :(

I installed Kalyway 10.5.1 on a old HP dc7600 small form factor and with the help of all your great instructions/patches I managed to have everything working, everything but the Ethernet that is an Intel PRO/100 and is not showing in System Preferences/network and following your instructions, it doesn't show still.

The Ethernet controller I have is an INTEL 82566DM, so is maybe the kext (AppleIntel8255x.kext) is not the right one?

Does anybody have any suggestions? I'm desperate... :)

I got the card to show but it says cable not connected...

if it says cable is unpluggedsudo -snano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plistthen I added -f under the kernal flags sectionthen ctrl+xthen ythen enteryou should have a working internet.
The plist is blank on my system!!! (ToH Leopard)

Edit: Is it because I installed Tiger first then Leopard over it??? I did that to fix the blinking cursor...

Edited by DivisionByZero

The plist is blank on my system!!! (ToH Leopard)

I figured out why it was blank-I installed Tiger first then I installed leopard.

But still no luck with internet!! (for me it's cable not plugged in, the card is detected)

:censored2: :thumbsdown_anim: :angry2: :help::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::stretcher:

:blowup::blowup::blowup::blowup::blowup::blowup::blowup:

• 2 weeks later...

I use leopard method from vakakush post nr. 37, but I have problem with Intel 100VE. Card randomly work, or Cable unpluged and sometimes I will get consolidation :-(

I'm hopeless at this, but this status make after install VMWare Fusion ... by that time card working without problem.