Legacy kernel 10.7.0 with custom dyld

51 posts in this topic

I updated the sources so that dyld builds with Xcode 4.

This fixed the issue of Finder / SystemUIServer crashing with the custom dyld.

/System/Library/CoreServices/pbs still needs to be packed with upx though.

Also some apps that use Auto::zone::zone (for some ObjC apps) still need packing with upx.

The dyld became faster and more stable with the latest patches though.

On the fly patching works fine (tested it) on any app I've tested it on.

I've also added a new patched kernel with cpu model 15 patch (Atom / new Celeron specific, separate kernel).

Download including sources:

http://rapidshare.com/files/457022173/vood...d-AnV-0.4.1.zip

Download Atom / new Celeron kernel:

http://rapidshare.com/files/457021711/legacy_kernel_atom.zip

Hey Andy! Great to see you getting your hands busy!

So that means that I can safely update my Dell nebtook (Atom) to 10.6.7 and then replace the original kernel with your kernel? That's good news indeed!

Any reason to use your patched kernel (first link) on a working 10.6.7 hackintosh with Core i7, in terms of compatibility or KPs? I mean, were there improvements for general hackintosh-ing?

Thanks again, mate.

Hey Andy! Great to see you getting your hands busy!

So that means that I can safely update my Dell nebtook (Atom) to 10.6.7 and then replace the original kernel with your kernel? That's good news indeed!

Any reason to use your patched kernel (first link) on a working 10.6.7 hackintosh with Core i7, in terms of compatibility or KPs? I mean, were there improvements for general hackintosh-ing?

Thanks again, mate.

It should work fine on i7 too (without atom patch).

It should be fast and stable...

The atom kernel is hacked specifically for setting CPU model to 15 (0x0F).

Hi Andy

I'm wondering if you can do something for the MSI sandy bridge owners. Actually we are not able to boot with vanilla kernel 10.7.3 who normally bring support for sandy bridge CPUs. Personally I did everything and I can't understand why is not working. The system get in constant boot looping each time.

Thanks

booted ok here...date and time and stuff still funky tho :) and for now using version 10.6(from 10.6.6) system.kext

as the new one breaks dependencies for my audio and ethernet...i guess 32 bit sse3 emu not yet ready...

Asrock P67 Extreme4, i5 2400 (31x100), 2x4GB RAM

Thank you Andy, this is the first kernel I can use without maxmem=4096.

I can't use 10.7.3 kernel (instant reboot) because of a locked processor multiplier and Asrock motherboard combination (same problem as with MSI boards.)

This one boots fine both 32bit and 64bit modes, but in 64bit the system clock is too fast. Don't know why this happens only in 64bit as I boot with the same "busratio=29" switch.

Anyways, I don't need the 64bit mode. Just wanted to report my finding - hopefully it helps.

megasnip*2

robertx, please consider providing your logs as file attachments.

this kind of posting makes it hard to read the topic.

EDIT: thanks mate

excuse my forgetfulness...i'll fix it up....and just sayin'...i'm back to getting double kp machine check won't attempt to handle trap as the desktop loads....worked for about 10 hrs with a few test reboots...then blam!...back to the double kp....sse3 emulation failure i assume...here on 10.5.8 now ;)

tre' bizarre....if i reinstall my bootloader...boots fine again....and now have system.kext matching kernel version...ethernet and audio working..... :(

/System/Library/CoreServices/pbs still needs to be packed with upx though.

Also some apps that use Auto::zone::zone (for some ObjC apps) still need packing with upx.

hi, I packed pbs with the command upx --ultra-brute /System/Library/CoreServices/pbs

I'm on an AMD and running 64 bit userland jus fine, will report on other thread as well.

I'm going to test this kernel... just to see what's cooking...

is there a list of apps needing upx packaging? we should start building one if not... :(

thanks, big thanks bro.

Is there a way to have 64 bit kernel? Does it bring any advantage over '64bit userland' ?

On AMD it's guesswork.

Even if it works, it won't run 32 bit apps.

hi, I packed pbs with the command upx --ultra-brute /System/Library/CoreServices/pbs

I'm on an AMD and running 64 bit userland jus fine, will report on other thread as well.

I'm going to test this kernel... just to see what's cooking...

is there a list of apps needing upx packaging? we should start building one if not... :D

thanks, big thanks bro.

Apart from pbs any app that crasnes with the new dyld (like Xcode).

Just pack them with my upx and if it doesn't want to:

upx --force <app>

On AMD it's guesswork.

Even if it works, it won't run 32 bit apps.

Thank you for the clarification. I have been using nawcoms 10.7.0 legacy kernel in my PhenomII and I'm quite happy with '64bit userland'.

What's the difference between your kernel with custom dyld and the one I'm using, if I may ask?

Thank you for the clarification. I have been using nawcoms 10.7.0 legacy kernel in my PhenomII and I'm quite happy with '64bit userland'.

What's the difference between your kernel with custom dyld and the one I'm using, if I may ask?

The difference is that all has been built with Xcode 4 and the custom dyld.

The custom dyld can be disabled with:

std_dyld=Yes

sse3 emu? fixed yet? :stretcher:

Unfortunetely no, I haven't been able to pinpoint the faulting instructions yet.

The custom dyld provides auto-patching cpuids but some apps need to be packed with upx (those that crash).

post-157409-1303601253_thumb.png

a friend owns the machine on that pic, I tried this kernel but went back to nawcoms 'coz Premiere didn't want to open, neither CS4 nor CS5, then CS4 worked after I switched back, would you agree on packing w/upx CS4 binary (at least that one, don't know about CS5 thouh) to see if it opens on this kernel?

btw xcode 3 runs fine ... dunno yet if it doesn't w/o upx & urs up.

hello, I tried this kernel again, Premiere CS4 crashed with this diagnostic:

Premiere.txt

EDIT:

well.. sorry...

premiere works only if I boot with std_dyld=yes

premiere crashes if I upx it with this diagnostic: (no, I won't turn the following to .txt, hehe...)

Process: Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 [222]

Path: /Applications/Adobe Premiere Pro CS4/Adobe Premiere Pro CS4.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Premiere Pro CS4

Identifier: com.adobe.AdobePremierePro

Version: ??? (???)

Code Type: X86 (Native)

Parent Process: launchd [101]

Date/Time: 2011-04-24 01:06:06.270 -0430

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.7 (10J869)

Report Version: 6

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000

Crashed Thread: Unknown

Backtrace not available

Unknown thread crashed with X86 Thread State (32-bit):

eax: 0x000000c5 ebx: 0xbfffc5f8 ecx: 0xbfffc508 edx: 0x0000c554

edi: 0x00000000 esi: 0x00000000 ebp: 0xbfffc564 esp: 0xbfffc508

ss: 0x0000001f efl: 0x00010206 eip: 0x0000c52a cs: 0x00000017

ds: 0x0000001f es: 0x0000001f fs: 0x00000000 gs: 0x00000000

cr2: 0xbfffe016

Binary images description not available

hope it can be helpful, and thanks for the efforts!

EDIT: I fixed the long a55 post, sorry...

hi, Marvin's AMD Utility v.25 works really nice on systems with this kernel and also using -force64, I actually fixed Finder from crashing everytime I wanted to view mp4 video files on it, wheter it was a thumbnail or using quicklook it always ended up crashing, no more, here is what I did:

I went into /System/Library/Frameworks/QuickLook.framework/Resources/quicklookd.app/Contents/MacOS and copied quicklookd to quicklookd_ then trimmed x86_64 code of the binary with lipo quicklookd -thin i386 -output quicklookd.i386 and then copied quicklookd.i386 over quicklookd keeping quicklookd_ in case this would just mess things further... that really took care of quicklookd crashing whenever I tried it on mp4 video content, huge thanks andy, can't thank you enough for the idea, thanks...

I was going to point this out at the end of the post, but I'll do it before I forget, there is a quicklookd32.app alongside with quicklookd.app inside /System/Library/Frameworks/QuickLook.framework/Resources/ ... so ... could we just replace one over the other? I guess not since we might just boot without -force64...

anyhow, to continue; but then, Finder took over the crash, it was not quicklookd now, it was Finder, and andy had a package with a Finder binary on it but I knew it was for 10.6.6, and I was testing 10.6.7, so I encouraged myself to create my own, so here is what I did:

I noticed Marvin's AMD Utility v.25 would crash everytime I ran it on a system running arch=i386 -force64, it would run fine if I took the -force64 away, then noticed andy posting about the binary that had to be patched inside Marvin's AMD Utility v.25.app (thanks for pointing it out) so I went ahead and tried to upx it, also noticing upx would complain stating it already was... so I uncompressed it and BAM! it ran! so I went into /System/Library/CoreServices and made a copy of Finder.app to a folder I created on my home and made Marvin's AMD Utility v.25 create a patcher package reading off that folder with only Finder.app in it, after I hit the Run button a new crash report got into the Logs folder, it pointed to /Applications/Marvin's AMD Utility v.25.app/Contents/Resources/Marvin's AMD Utility.app/Contents/Resources/peter so I tried to successfuly unpack it with upx and did the whole thing again, so another crash report prompted, this time was /Applications/Marvin's AMD Utility v.25.app/Contents/Resources/Marvin's AMD Utility.app/Contents/Resources/big_dick ... yes ... I unpacked it also ... and another ... this time outside Marvin's AMD Utility.app, it was /bin/bash so I did the same as with quicklookd trimming away x86_64 code with lipo... then the last one before Marvin's AMD Utility.app worked correctly: /usr/bin/arch so I did again the same as with quicklookd & bash: trimmed away x86_64! and it worked! I was able to get a Finder binary in the decrypts folder, I replaced the one at CoreServices with it and then repaired perms just in case, no more Finder crashing on mp4 video content.

post-157409-1303634672_thumb.png

Finder.7z.zip