carlitosx

carlitosx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
SNOW LEOPARD 10.6.6 INSTALLATION GUIDE BY CARLITOX

Last edit 12/10/11

First of all, please accept my apologizes cause my english level is very very poor. I hope you can understand every step clearly, if you have any doubt please feel free to reply me on this same post.
Any suggestion or file is welcome and will be added if it is useful!
I don't have any DSDT programming idea so, if someone can help us with this it will be welcome!

So, what do we need?
Lenovo s12 netbook Nvidia Ion version 2 GB RAM
1 working mac or hackintosh
1 2GB pendrive
1 8GB pendrive
1 USB mouse (you´ll understand this later)

DO YOURSELF A FAVOR… PRINT THIS GUIDE BEFORE DO ANYTHING
or save this page somewhere you can read it easily

Download all this stuff:
Snow Leopard 10.6.0 retail iso image
Chameleon RC5
Extra folder attached to this post
MacOsComboupdate10.6.6
mach_kernel_atom 10.6.6
Kexts and other packages zip file attached to this post

STEP 1
INSTALL PROCESS

On a working mac restore a snow leopard 10.6.0 iso image into the 8GB pen drive
Format the 2GB pen drive with GUI partition (Macos plus with registry)
Install Chameleon bootloader RC5 to the 2GB pendrive and copy the previously downloaded Extra folder into the root of the pen.
Turn on your netbook with both pendrives plugged and choose boot with the 2GB usb device by pressing Fn + F11 during the Lenovo screen.
Chameleon bootloader loads. Choose the Snow Leopard DVD from 8GB pen in the menu.
Apple logo appears, wait and start a standard installation… you know… using Diskutil in the menu bar for formatting your hard disk…(GUI partition (Macos plus with registry) choosing installation extra options, like printer drivers etc.
Once the installation finish copying files a Install failed screen appears. Don't worry about it and restart. REALLY don't worry about it!
Once again reboot with both pen drives plugged, press Fn + F11 during the lenovo screen and boot from your 2GB Pen drive and this time select the Hard disk on the Chameleon bootloader.
Plug an usb mouse until the trackpad install step.
Apple logo appears and after a few minutes finish the installation by filling (or not) apple´s register form.
Finally we have reach the desktop
Now you can unplug (eject) the 8GB pen drive

Note: At this point a lot of things are not working Trackpad included, don't worry about it, trackpad and other stuff like wifi and other devices, will be enabled later

STEP 2
PREPARE FOR 10.6.6 UPDATE
Copy mach_kernel_atom in the root of your hard disk
Install Chameleon bootloader RC5 to the hard disk

Copy the 2GB pendrive extra folder into root hard disk
Enter the extra folder and edit the file com.apple.Boot.plist
Change this line
<string>mach_kernel</string>
for this one
<string>mach_kernel_atom</string>
Save and exit Textedit
If you have problems with permissions trying to save, move the file to the desktop, edit it and re-insert it to the Extra folder
Install the MacOsComboupdate10.6.6
Wait patiently and
Restart

STEP 3
ALMOST DONE

INSTALLING DEVICES

Now its time to install all those kexts and packages from the zip file

I recommend to install one per time so you can test if it working before continuing with the next one

zip files includes:

Battery and bluetooth enabler (pkg)
Note: After installing this package, next restart wil take about 3 or 5 minutes... be patient! and leave it work!

Wired network kext, use kexthelper for install it (experimental but seems to work just fine)

If you already have your wifi card taped on pin 20 this step is not necessary. If not do this...
Wifi (bcm43xx_enabler this is not a kext, its a script, so you must run it from terminal)
Copy the script to the desktop
Open a terminal window
cd Desktop
sudo ./bcm43xx_enabler.sh
follow the script instructions and restart

Sound (kexts) Install the Sound kexts from Sound folder from the zip by using kexthelper
Note: Sound folder includes a DSDT fix DONT INSERT IT! he is there only for study. My DSDT already has this fix attached!

Trackpad (pkg installer plus kexts)
This one is very tricky, use the pkg file (now included in the repository zip attached! thank you HNO3!) and restart. Now the trackpad works but is not very precise.
Install the kexts and prefpane and now you should have a much more sensible trackpad.
The file com.meklort.ps2.helper.plist should be placed in HDROOT / Library / LaunchAgents folder. Do tihs cause if you don´t trackpad preferences on trackpad prefpane will never save your changes.
I have tried to install only the kexts but it doesn't seem to work. Don't know why.

DSDT file (gives you 4 hours or more battery life)
Copy this file to the Extra folder in your hard disk
IMPORTANT! FIND AND DELETE THE FILE AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext FROM SYSTEM/LIBRARY/EXTENSIONS

smbios.plist file (Only cosmetics for more macbook look like)
Copy this file to the Extra folder in your hard disk

Houdini (Very useful utility for showing hidden folders and files)

Kext helper (Utility for installing kexts properly)

COSMETICS:
As the Chameleon bootloader RC5 is a debug version every time you turn on the netbook must hit enter twice to startup the system.
The easiest to correct this is download the latest version of Chameleon bootloader, extract it somewhere and replace the "boot" file from your hard disk root for the new one.

Hibernate image is too old... text before apple logo during startup?
add this to your com.apple.Boot.plist in your Extra folder
<key>WakeImage</key>
<string>/var/vm/sleepimage</string>

I have recently upgrade my Lenovo´s ram memory to 3GB in total by replacing the 1GB sodimm for a new one, a Kingston 2GB. Result: Better performance... but i loose the battery meter. So i had to edit my dsdt again. The "3GB dsdt" is attached now to this post as a separate file. Now i have my battery meter again working and a big smile on the face.

RESULTS:
A working snow leopard 10.6.6 OS with almost everything working.
Whats wrong?
Ok, let me tell you that the webcam is not working out of the box.
I have read a lot about this camera and it really seems to be the cheapest peace of {censored} they (Lenovo) could find out to install on this netbook.
But it works "with a little help of my friends"
Camtwist is a software who enables the camera for using it with Skype or others but the image quality is really poor.
It is very weird but the camera seems to work fine on older versions of Skype!

Many MANY thanks to HNO3, he is helping me a lot by testing the guide from scratch THANK YOU!
Enjoy your "Macbook"
Carlitox

DSDT (SVN) for research and test proposes.
How to use it?
Download and copy svn.aml to your HD root, then restart and during bootloader, press any key and type DSDT=svn.aml and hit enter.
If you wanna try the nvidia fix, dont forget to remove GraphicsEnabler=yes in your com.apple.Boot.plist

NOW BLUETOOTH CAN BE DISABLED
DOWNLOAD THE NEW BLUETOOTH KEXT AND MOVE IT INTO THE EXTRAS FOLDER
REPAIR PERMISSIONS AND THATS IT on the next restart you will be able to disable the bluetooth from the menu bar!
NOW BRIGHT CONTROLS WORKS WITH HELP OF "Brightness Menulet"
Replace Extra folder for this new.zip for a full test. This file contains the last dsdt svn file!

EDIT: SLEEP WORKS, AND LID SLEEP TOO! download last svn dsdt (3gbsvndsdt.zip) and move it into extras folder replacing the old dsdt.aml file.

IMPORTANT EDIT: Finally... after months of study and disappointing kernel panics.... i have successfully cloned my hackintosh using Carbon copy clone, and successfully installed ilife11. USING ONLY BATTERY POWER!
How?
Download and copy the attached kext AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext to your Extra folder.... AND install it using Kext Utility. More stability and no more KPS for me using this.

Now re-working on HDMI audio output
New svn3gb dsdt (7/09/11)
For those who uses skype everyday... just like me. Theres a solution for using webcam without CamTwist
Follow this post instructions and enjoy!

TODO LIST: oh yeah....
CLEAN UP!! RE-WRITE THIS GUIDE WITH ALL THE NEW COOL STUFF INCLUDED

THIS IS THE README FILE INCLUDED ON 10.6.8 UPGRADE PACKAGE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LENOVO S12 SNOW LEOPARD 10.6.8 UPGRADE GUIDE FROM 10.6.6

Hi guys…
First of all
As you already know, my native language is spanish, so my english is very poor.
I must apologize first cause this step should be easy to apply but it was really difficult to get the working kexts and procedure to explain it on a step by step guide. So it takes me a lot of time to test it before upload this file.
So sorry again, and i´ll try to build an enabler for this, so everyone can install snow 10.6.8 from scratch soon with less pain than now.

ONLY FOLLOW THIS GUIDE IF YOU REALLY KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING ANY MISTAKE COULD BREAK YOUR OS.

Ok, lets go for it.

First step.
DOWNLOAD THIS
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RZZD5HLV
alternative server...
http://www.mediafire...a5r4ki4rw4nsfxf

Download form apple site the 10.6.8 Snow leopard combo update form here.
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399

Install it, it will take several minutes.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AND DONT RESTART AT THE END OF THE COMBOUPDATE!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If you receive any kernel panics during the installation, its because you don't have the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer kext properly installed on your Extra folder. You can get this file by downloading it from the post.
Install it with Kext wizard or copy the file manually and then repair permissions.

Replace your kernel (mach_kernel_atom) from this package to your hard drive.
Simply drag and drop the file to the root of your hard disk. System will prompt you to replace the file. Proceed.

Then open the kext wizard app. and use it to install the provided kexts on this package on System/Library/Extensions and into Extra folder.

Once install finish, then restart your netbook and you shoould have now 10.6.8 working.

Good luck!
Carlitosx

Attached Files

minimaci

minimaci

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

IMPORTANT UPDATE:
Finally! Very exciting news!! I have made a method for installing Snow Leopard 10.6.6 without problems, and with the whole hardware fully working... I´ll try to write it tomorrow.
Stay tunned!

Thanks for your amazing Work!!! And, did you get Snow Leopard 10.6.6 working correctly?
with the Lenovo S12 a white one its nearly like an old ibook :-)

carlitosx

carlitosx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Thanks for your amazing Work!!! And, did you get Snow Leopard 10.6.6 working correctly?
with the Lenovo S12 a white one its nearly like an old ibook :-)

Thank you so much!
Yes i got 10.6.6 correctly working, and i am writing a new tutorial from scratch.
Hope finish it in a couple of days.
Thanks again wait for my updated post.
Charly

PS? Mine is black, but white looks preety cool

HNO3

HNO3

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
hello,
great work ! to clear the situation with an updated tutorial ;-) is a very good idea.
especially for an installation from scratch.
i have one question:
what is your battery life time ? (mine is approx 2.5h)
Thanks

carlitosx

carlitosx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

hello,
great work ! to clear the situation with an updated tutorial ;-) is a very good idea.
especially for an installation from scratch.
i have one question:
what is your battery life time ? (mine is approx 2.5h)
Thanks

Hi HNO3!
New tutorial ready for testing.

Alas_Ka

Alas_Ka

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi carlitosx!
Installed on your INSTALLATION GUIDE snow leopard 10.6.7. Everything works. Thanks!

There are two questions:

1. What parameter in DSDT is responsible for the amount of RAM? I have 2G of RAM. What value should be put in the DSDT?

2. I have to show the console more messages:

13.06.11 20:14:26 kernel Sound assertion "kTypePinComplex != fType" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-187.4.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 2018 goto Exit

13.06.11 20:14:29 configd[13] FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "/]/@_i/—ЦI-/]/@_i/—ЦI-/]".

These messages do not interfere with work. But we want to remove this message.
If you install in your DSDT hdef alc 269 dsdt fix, then there is no sound. I do not understand.

Thank you for your work.
Sorry for my English (Google helps:).

Alas_Ka.

carlitosx

carlitosx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Hi carlitosx!
Installed on your INSTALLATION GUIDE snow leopard 10.6.7. Everything works. Thanks!

There are two questions:

1. What parameter in DSDT is responsible for the amount of RAM? I have 2G of RAM. What value should be put in the DSDT?

2. I have to show the console more messages:

13.06.11 20:14:26 kernel Sound assertion "kTypePinComplex != fType" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-187.4.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 2018 goto Exit

13.06.11 20:14:29 configd[13] FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "/]/@_i/—ЦI-/]/@_i/—ЦI-/]".

These messages do not interfere with work. But we want to remove this message.
If you install in your DSDT hdef alc 269 dsdt fix, then there is no sound. I do not understand.

Thank you for your work.
Sorry for my English (Google helps:).

Alas_Ka.

Hi Alas_ka!!
Thank you for writing, my native language is spanish so i have to translate using google sometimes jeje. Dont worry...
The first DSDT attached to the zip file should work fine with 2GB ram...
But if you want to put insert your own value, do this.
Boot your netbook with a Windows portable edition from a usb drive.
Download DSDTse for windows and generate your own DSDT file.
Compare both DSDT files, mine and yours and search for a value called
OperationRegion (ASLD, SystemMemory, 0x6FED85FA, 0x0100)
and replace the hexadecimal value (0x6FED85FA) by yours
Search again for the old value and replace it as many times it appears for your owns.
Compile the new DSDT and thats it.

About the sound... my dsdt already have the sound fix, so you dont have to edit anything.
The only thing has to be installed manually are the sound kexts... for doing that, use kexthelper to install AppleHDA.kext and IOAudioFamily.kext (Sound folder on my zip file). Restart, and you should be hearing your laptop.
This fix is very cool cause uses mac native sound drivers and the sound is clear without any crackling sound and mic works perfectly.

Good luck and ask me for any doubt
Carlitox

Alas_Ka

Alas_Ka

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Carlitox, thank you for your work. You have helped me a lot.
I will continue my experiments.

Good luck.

Alas_Ka

carlitosx

carlitosx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Carlitox, thank you for your work. You have helped me a lot.
I will continue my experiments.

Good luck.

Alas_Ka

You are welcome
If you have any important progress please post it here!

HNO3

HNO3

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
hello everybody !
yesterday i erased the harddrive by installing ubuntu ... so now i can test your tutorial from scratch because i must reinstall the osx partition ... ;-) i'll come back to give my feedback asap LOL

carlitosx

carlitosx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

hello everybody !
yesterday i erased the harddrive by installing ubuntu ... so now i can test your tutorial from scratch because i must reinstall the osx partition ... ;-) i'll come back to give my feedback asap LOL

Ok HNO3
Let us know your experience!

AliBaba2011

AliBaba2011

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Hi everyone!

First of all THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!

This guide was really helpfull. I now got 10.6.7 up and running. My Lenovo now is my second Hackintosh. There are just one or two things left I wanted to ask.

First you are writing "The easiest to correct this is download the latest version of Chameleon bootloader, extract it somewhere and replace the "boot" file from your hard disk root for the new one.". I already downloaded a version of RC 5 unpacked it with Pacifist but I just couldn't find the boot file. What am I doing wrong. Also something I am still wondering. There are so many versions of RC5 out there. Which ones can/should I use or doesn't it matter if I just install any RC5 pkg file?????

And second: I also installed your battery/bluetooth fix. In the S12 development thread I read that some people run about 5h on battery. Mine is empty after 2,5 h. What are your experiences?

By the way I tried at least 5 different sleepenalber.kext by now but none is working. Like you described going to sleep and waking up again right away Did one of you make any progress???

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks again!!!

carlitosx

carlitosx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Hi everyone!

First of all THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!

This guide was really helpfull. I now got 10.6.7 up and running. My Lenovo now is my second Hackintosh. There are just one or two things left I wanted to ask.

First you are writing "The easiest to correct this is download the latest version of Chameleon bootloader, extract it somewhere and replace the "boot" file from your hard disk root for the new one.". I already downloaded a version of RC 5 unpacked it with Pacifist but I just couldn't find the boot file. What am I doing wrong. Also something I am still wondering. There are so many versions of RC5 out there. Which ones can/should I use or doesn't it matter if I just install any RC5 pkg file?????

And second: I also installed your battery/bluetooth fix. In the S12 development thread I read that some people run about 5h on battery. Mine is empty after 2,5 h. What are your experiences?

By the way I tried at least 5 different sleepenalber.kext by now but none is working. Like you described going to sleep and waking up again right away Did one of you make any progress???

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks again!!!

Hi AliBaba2011
Thanks to you for following this guide and for your post
Now i can see that my instructions about the chamelelon bootloader are not so clear...
What i really mean is, download lastest official (rc4 now) release of chameleon bootloader, extract it somewhere and then replace the boot file from your root hard disk with the new one. So pacifist ins not necessary.
Puff battery life is turning me crazy... my battery meter shows 3:30 with full charge... but it seems to increase during work till 4hs... and sometimes it goes down showing 3:00.
My real battery life, timing it with a clock is 4 hours aprox. I know that in the development thread someone talks about five hours, but he doesn't explain a thing about how to get them.
About sleep... and lid sleep... i have recently test a dsdt who enables both, but wifi and bluetooth wont work with it.
So i am trying to merge my dsdt with the other one. As soon i get everything working ill post the new dsdt inmediatly replacing the lastest svn.
My last test with sleepenabler kext brick my os, so i had to erase it using terminal booting with the leopard install disc. So... don't even think on this kext!! jajaja.
Once again, thank you for posting and one more thing... this goes for everyone... if someone knows something about dsdt patching please write me a PM, i really need help for doing this and no one seems to be very interested in give us a hand.

AliBaba2011

AliBaba2011

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
I would love to help but I really have no idea of dsdt patching ;) Sorry... and again thx.
By the way are you recommending to use your experimental DSDT (SVN)?
Untill now I'm still using the old one.

carlitosx

carlitosx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

I would love to help but I really have no idea of dsdt patching :P Sorry... and again thx.
By the way are you recommending to use your experimental DSDT (SVN)?
Untill now I'm still using the old one.

Yes, absolutely, remember to follow the instructions of the svn version. And dont worry about patching... ill keep working on it

AliBaba2011

AliBaba2011

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Yes, absolutely, remember to follow the instructions of the svn version. And dont worry about patching... ill keep working on it

And me again with 2 more questions. ;)

Number 1: If I rename the svn version and replace the original one will that work? That way one would save typing the command in chameleon.

Number 2: I downloaded as you recommended the original RC4 and extracted it. In it under /i386 I found a file called boot. But in finder the RC5 version is an exectutable unix-file but the RC4 version is a document?!? Is this the right file?

By the way I found a very strange error. On my other hackintosh I'm using CCC Carbon Copy Cloner to create backups. It helped a lot when I somehow crashed my systemwhith wrong kexts broken bootloader etc. So I tried it on my Lenovo too.

But my Lenovo always crashes when using it. You know grey screen saying you have to restart your computer. So I switched to superdumper, but that doesn't work either. I'm getting the same gry screen. Do you have any ideas why?

THX.

HNO3

HNO3

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

And me again with 2 more questions. B)

Number 1: If I rename the svn version and replace the original one will that work? That way one would save typing the command in chameleon.

Number 2: I downloaded as you recommended the original RC4 and extracted it. In it under /i386 I found a file called boot. But in finder the RC5 version is an exectutable unix-file but the RC4 version is a document?!? Is this the right file?

By the way I found a very strange error. On my other hackintosh I'm using CCC Carbon Copy Cloner to create backups. It helped a lot when I somehow crashed my systemwhith wrong kexts broken bootloader etc. So I tried it on my Lenovo too.

But my Lenovo always crashes when using it. You know grey screen saying you have to restart your computer. So I switched to superdumper, but that doesn't work either. I'm getting the same gry screen. Do you have any ideas why?

THX.

Hello Alibaba2011
let me answer your questions:

1) yes you can rename the dsdt from carlitosx to "DSDT.aml" it will work. but remember to backup all your dsdt files somewhere with different names to easily identify them

2) Just use the RC5pre release it works like a charm (but you have to hit 'enter' to boot)

3) CCC works , no question about that :-) we all use it LOL
is there enough space on your backup drive ?
sometimes CCC bugs and you get a kernel panic (grey screen saying you have to restart) during backup ... but not very often ... in that case just try again

hope that helped a little bit ;-)

AliBaba2011

AliBaba2011

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Hi HNO3, thanks for your help.

I'm wondering by now whether it really is a kernel panic. During backup my S12 gets really hot.So it might also be a temperature shutdown. Is there any tool that can read the temprature of my atom under osx?!? I already tried a couple of them. Some didn't show any results other only showed my hdd temperature. But none could read my processor.

Do you know one?

carlitosx

carlitosx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Hello Alibaba2011
let me answer your questions:

1) yes you can rename the dsdt from carlitosx to "DSDT.aml" it will work. but remember to backup all your dsdt files somewhere with different names to easily identify them

2) Just use the RC5pre release it works like a charm (but you have to hit 'enter' to boot)

3) CCC works , no question about that :-) we all use it LOL
is there enough space on your backup drive ?
sometimes CCC bugs and you get a kernel panic (grey screen saying you have to restart) during backup ... but not very often ... in that case just try again

hope that helped a little bit ;-)

Totally agree with HNO3
Anyway you should think seriously in replace the preinstalled 1GB extra ram dimm for a new one preferentially a 2GB dimm. ¿Why? cause seems that the manufacturer of the ram preinstalled is not particulary compatible with snow leopard. Thats why i got 3GB of ram in total now. 1GB built in and 2GB extra dimm installed instead of the original.

HNO3

HNO3

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
to alibaba 2011
i must apology because you were right about carbon copy cloner
yesterday i downloaded the official release of CCC (3.3.7 actually)
and each time i have tried to make a clone it failled ... i don't know why (freezing screen, KP etc)
i will investigate and hope to come back with a solution because this software is really important
see you soon

EDIT: i have tried many things:
CCC 3.3.7 and CCC 3.3.6
deactivate bluetooth and/or Wifi
deactivate screen energy saver
format the usb key in GUID or MBR

NOTHING WORKS ! i am unable to use Carbon Copy Cloner anymore :-(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy