Should I buy a macbook?

27 posts in this topic

• 3 months later...

I'm going by my experiences in Apple stores in Portland and San Francisco using the older model, circa September 06, but I would suggest you go to an Apple store and try typing. The keys look like a toy but, as compared to a Toshiba or Compaq, say, they have a good tactile feel, if not in the same league as an IBM. I was quite impressed and felt myself being won over. However, I had three problems with the Apple MacBook. One, the leading edge of the case on all of the models that I tried was sharp, it felt unpleasant against my palms to the extent that I couldn't believe it. I just stood and gawped at it. A design mistake? A friend suggested using sandpaper. Uh... no! The screen is way too small for my liking but looks clear and sharp. I am not quite convinced about the build quality; I like to buy something with a track record. IBM is a name that I trust; the keyboard tends to be the most important thing for me, along of course with battery life. The third thing that annoyed me about the MacBook is that the trackpads go shiny after continued use. I know any number of laptops do the same but it really stands up on the MacBooks that I saw in the Apple stores in the US (San Francisco, specifically), which of course would come under heavy use if they don't change out the display models semi regularly. Perhaps you could haggle for a discount!

Being a huge Apple fan and a Mac Mini owner, I say all of that with a lump in my throat. You've got one hundred percent compatability there. Just... don't buy one of these blind; go along to an Apple store and see if it's for you. Some people see pictures of the keyboard and shake their head. I say they're not just being snobs, they're plain wrong; I can touch type at speed on that keyboard and that was a big suprise to me. I just hated that the edge of the case was sharp against my palms.

So, the hackintosh route remains of interest to me. I know Apple would be in no way enthusiastic about that but I would make the gesture of buying the Mac OS X operating system, which I have already done for my Asorck based main computer.

I just found the link below, making the vanilla Dell 6400 at least of interest, though the audio limitations are a bug bear. Might have to get a USB Soundblaster Live to pimp up the sound, which... would bump up the cost toward the cost of a... Now, if I can just try out its keyboard...

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=33052