Should I buy a macbook?

27 posts in this topic

Okay, I am in a toss up between buying a Macbook from eBay (new) and a Dell 6400 from eBay (also new)

The Dell has 1gb memory, 120gb hard drive, dvd burner, 15.4" widescreen 128mb video card and 2gz core duo. And the macbook is the 1.83ghz model. So I'm kinda going towards the Dell.

Any thoughts, ideas, recommendations.

a guy at my work here just bought a dell, with bigger screen than my macbook. he is now seething with jealousy every time i show off my macbook.

seriously, the macbook just totally and utterly outclasses the dell machine. buy the macbook - you seriously wont regret it.

also, 2ghz core duo vs 1.83 ghz isnt a huge difference, i doubt you'd even notice it. plus you can easily upgrade the ram and hard disk of the macbook.

hmm... i spose the only thing is the video card might swing it. depends on what you want to do with your notebook. do you seriously want to run 3d games on it? i mean, my macbook runs Half Life 2 just fine, despite its 'puny' GMA950.

up to you man, but i wouldnt choose a Dell over an Apple if my life depended on it.

a 15.4 will be pain to carry round, while a 13 inch will be light and small. I mean all my friends are so jealous of my 12inch Dell. It is so small and easy to carry round. But a 15.4 is huge and heavy.

Plus Apple looks way cooler. Man my friends MacBook looks so awesome.

Okay, I have decided to go with the apple. :) Although the dell has better features, I saw one today and they are really, really thick.

I love the design of the macbook and the iBook for that matter, which I use at school. But the iBooks are really, really slow. it takes about 20 minutes to open neooffice.

if you really want OSX then the apple is the way to go. I have been useing a Dell hackintosh and just bought a macmini and i cant believe what a nicer experience it is.. plus if i need i run the aplha of crossover office to run most windows apps without a copy of windows.. it rocks.

of course if you are more interested in just a windows system then it maybe another story but the macbook is just the perfect size to carry about and such a nice setup

I will probably buy another 1gb stick to give it a total of 1.25gb.

And I'm not sure how our school network operates. But i know for a fact that it takes around 20 minutes to open neooffice, not to mention how slow it is on the eMacs. I waited for 45 minutes, they take about 15 minutes to open firefox.

I think it's something about our accounts being stored on a server, and our admin is stupid.

Anyway, thanks for your input guys. I should be ordering the macbook pretty soon :blink:

I have a stock black MacBook. I haven't found an unrgent need for more RAM. Don't buy it from Apple if you get more. But yeah, you won't be upset with the MacBook. The 13.3 inch screen is perhaps the best size for a screen. It's small enough to carry around, but wide enough to have multiple windows open, and watch movies of course.