My Install Plans

alb1no

1 post in this topic

Hi everyone. I'm pretty new to this OSX on x86 hardware thing. I'm planning to try an installation in the not too distant future. I've decided to have a go at this because I try to stay clear of windows wherever possible. I've been running linux for the past 5 years, but there are a few pieces of software I would really like to run. I would much rather run OSX than I would windows in order to do so. Also I've been using a mac book and a mac book pro for the past two months and I really like it. Mainly though I like tinkering with stuff and this seems like a bit of fun.

I have an ASUS P5QL-EPU motherboard, with an Intel E7400 Core 2 Duo and XFX 9400GT.

I am planning a retail install. So far my plans are:

1) Change the BIOS settings to those I have found in a thread for my motherboard.

2) Pop in a boot-loader cd. I'm going to get a few to try out, mainly a modified boot-132, Empire EFI and Rebel EFI which I have heard works.

3) Use a retail disc to install OSX. I have a copy of 10.6. Will this work or do I need something a bit newer 10.6.3?

4) Once the install has finished (hopefully it works) use the latest chameleon boot-loader to get the system booting without a disc.

5) Add any kexts needed. Probably voodooHDA and NVEnabler.

6) Finally test, test and test again everything in my system to make sure it all works and boots up nice and quickly.

Have I got pretty much all my bases covered? Any suggestions? I like to research how I'm going to go about things as much as possible, so that I'm not stumped when something crops up.

Thanks in advance for any info.