Dell Studio Laptop 1747

almuras

29 posts in this topic

I propose to start a new thread how to make a perfect hackintosh from Dell Studio 1747; :)

Computer specification:

1. Video- ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 (0x94801002)

2. Sound- Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi MB (0xAA011002)

IDT codec (0x7675111D)

3. Intel PM55 Express Chipset Family

compiling DSDT generates over 200 errors

However, with the help of kizwan (thanks a lot!!!) I now have two versions of DSDT one from EvoDSDT and on directly from Dell Bios ;) . I slightly modified them to reduce kernel panic.

4. Bios A13

5. CD/DVD Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-7640S (works out of the box)

6. Processor i7 720QM (supported by recent updates and Chameleon)

7. Dell Wireless WLAN 1520 Half MiniCard

AppleAirPortBrcm43224.kext loaded but not network (0x435314E4)

8. Dell Wireless 365 Bluetooth Module (works with bluetooth kext)

Please post if you have any solutions to the hardware problems.

1. DSDT.aml from Evo http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24426032/dsdt.aml

2. DSDT.aml from Dell Bios http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24426032/dsdt%20from%20bios.aml

3. Boot file for ATI Radeon mobility 4650 framebuffer Shrike (Dime333 helped me, thanks for tutorial!!) http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24426032/boot-Shrike

4. EDID display override file for your internal LCD. Install it in:-

/System/Library/Displays/Overrides/

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24426032/DisplayVendorID_4ca3.zip

5. Uploaded 1002_9480.rom http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24426032/1002_9480.rom

Put this file in Extra. Add to boot.plist

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1600x900x32</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>UseAtiROM</key>

<string>Yes</string>

i signed up to the forum today looking for exactly this.

would love to have osx on my studio 1747

I used [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] + [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] to install retail version of snow leopard. It is pretty easy.

I used [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] + [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] to install retail version of snow leopard. It is pretty easy.

from your posts on other threads i assume you haven't yet got the internal screen to work?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am having the same problem. I've just started my Hackintosh Project about a week ago, but all I have now is a SL 10.6.3 using safe mode (-x) so I only have 1024*768 resolution. When I try to boot it without -x command I get a corrupted screen. Can anyone help me how to get further? Thanks! :(

p.s. I got my ethernet working, so I'm writing this post from my Dell Studio 1747 Hackintosh, but it sucks with this resolution..

Has anybody tried new RADEON HD kexts from dong ? http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190586

I have my card and display correctly detected but LVDS is black, I can only access laptop via VNC.

Anybody has the same problem or any success?

I have the same condition as you almuras. My screen is black with the backlight. My ATi Mobility Radeon HD 4650 is displayed correctly under System Profiler and QE/CI is working. Been remoting into my Studio 1747 via my Imac using Remote Desktop. Gonna give muchas guide another once over to see if I can fix ATIframebuffer.kext to get my LCD showing the image without having to remote in. Will post an update when I can.

I have the same condition as you almuras. My screen is black with the backlight. My ATi Mobility Radeon HD 4650 is displayed correctly under System Profiler and QE/CI is working. Been remoting into my Studio 1747 via my Imac using Remote Desktop. Gonna give muchas guide another once over to see if I can fix ATIframebuffer.kext to get my LCD showing the image without having to remote in. Will post an update when I can.

Hi CALYPSODON,

Any luck with ATIframebuffer?

Thanks,

almuras

Hi CALYPSODON,

Any luck with ATIframebuffer?

Thanks,

almuras

Nothing yet... I've come to the realization that its not the ATIFramebuffer that is the issue but perhaps something else. I tried with previous versions of the kext and they all work pretty much the same in giving me only VGA/HDMI output. I've been altering the binary for ATI4600Controller that comes with 10.6.8 and still nothing. I'm going to continue trying and will post what I come up with upon success.

By the way, what are you using to get sound? So far I've been using VoodooHDA and the sound comes out crappy.

Nothing yet... I've come to the realization that its not the ATIFramebuffer that is the issue but perhaps something else. I tried with previous versions of the kext and they all work pretty much the same in giving me only VGA/HDMI output. I've been altering the binary for ATI4600Controller that comes with 10.6.8 and still nothing. I'm going to continue trying and will post what I come up with upon success.

By the way, what are you using to get sound? So far I've been using VoodooHDA and the sound comes out crappy.

I think you are right, it is something else, probably specific to Sudio1747 hardware.

As far as sound is corncerned, download AppleHDA.kext and IDT.kext from this thread http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...muras&st=60

I think you are right, it is something else, probably specific to Sudio1747 hardware.

As far as sound is corncerned, download AppleHDA.kext and IDT.kext from this thread http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...muras&st=60

I tried adding the HDEF lines to DSDT.dsl but when I made an attempt to compile it to a .aml file I get an error. Would you be able to post your current DSDT.aml with the HDEF lines incorporated into it? It would be much appreciated.

Here it is

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24426032/dsdt%20from%20bios.aml

let me know if it works for you

Thanks for the file but it didn't work for me. I found out why my DSDT.dsl wasn't compiling and fixed it. Now I have native sound with my updated DSDT.aml. Will also study it further to see if I can alter the ATI framebuffer info because by default its set to Peregrine and I have Shrike injected via my boot file.

Thanks for the file but it didn't work for me. I found out why my DSDT.dsl wasn't compiling and fixed it. Now I have native sound with my updated DSDT.aml. Will also study it further to see if I can alter the ATI framebuffer info because by default its set to Peregrine and I have Shrike injected via my boot file.

Can you post your DSDT.aml? I am curious how you make native sound to work. Thank you.

I am having the same problem. I've just started my Hackintosh Project about a week ago, but all I have now is a SL 10.6.3 using safe mode (-x) so I only have 1024*768 resolution. When I try to boot it without -x command I get a corrupted screen. Can anyone help me how to get further? Thanks! ;)

p.s. I got my ethernet working, so I'm writing this post from my Dell Studio 1747 Hackintosh, but it sucks with this resolution..

Delete all ATI video kexts. At first reboot use -x flag. Use dsdt.aml, and boot file and EDID override from the first post. You will get 1152x864 screen resolution without using -x flag. You will have to delete ATI kexts after each combo update, before rebooting or computer will freeze.

I also advise to have a separate small partition and install Kalyway, that will give you an easy access to snow leopard partition to manipulate with boot files and kexts.

Can you post your DSDT.aml? I am curious how you make native sound to work. Thank you.

Delete all ATI video kexts. At first reboot use -x flag. Use dsdt.aml, and boot file and EDID override from the first post. You will get 1152x864 screen resolution without using -x flag. You will have to delete ATI kexts after each combo update, before rebooting or computer will freeze.

I also advise to have a separate small partition and install Kalyway, that will give you an easy access to snow leopard partition to manipulate with boot files and kexts.

Almuras, I attached my DSDT.aml and the necessary files to get native sound.

Put "DSDT.aml" in Extra folder

Put "IDT92HD73C1X5_R3.kext" in Extra\Extensions

Put "AppleHDA" in System\Library\Extensions (remove original and use Kext Helper)

If you have VoodooHDA installed, delete it and run Kext Utility to repair permissions & cache.

Let me know if it works... actually used Kizman's guide from the link you suggested above.

Sound.zip

Almuras, I attached my DSDT.aml and the necessary files to get native sound.

Put "DSDT.aml" in Extra folder

Put "IDT92HD73C1X5_R3.kext" in Extra\Extensions

Put "AppleHDA" in System\Library\Extensions (remove original and use Kext Helper)

If you have VoodooHDA installed, delete it and run Kext Utility to repair permissions & cache.

Let me know if it works... actually used Kizman's guide from the link you suggested above.

Sound.zip

CALYPSODON, it worked like a charm! :) Thank you very much! Is your laptop exactly like mine? I am asking because I spent some time playing with DSDT to enable wifi. It is now posted as PCI card, but no drivers installed.

CALYPSODON, it worked like a charm! :( Thank you very much! Is your laptop exactly like mine? I am asking because I spent some time playing with DSDT to enable wifi. It is now posted as PCI card, but no drivers installed.

The only difference between your 1747 and mine based upon your signature is that mine has 8GB of RAM and (2) 320GB HDDs. Got it at a good price and the 1st thing I wanted to do was turn it into a Macbook Pro. My 1747 has the Dell Wireless 1520 wifi-n card. I gave up on trying to get it to work and instead use a usb wifi adapter.

Been trying to get Lion on it... I guess since SL is giving me so much problems esp with the LCD. If it works out then I'll upload my files etc.

The only difference between your 1747 and mine based upon your signature is that mine has 8GB of RAM and (2) 320GB HDDs. Got it at a good price and the 1st thing I wanted to do was turn it into a Macbook Pro. My 1747 has the Dell Wireless 1520 wifi-n card. I gave up on trying to get it to work and instead use a usb wifi adapter.

Been trying to get Lion on it... I guess since SL is giving me so much problems esp with the LCD. If it works out then I'll upload my files etc.

I use usb wifi adapter too. I am also trying to install Lion from a separate partition, but it does not go through the boot.

I use usb wifi adapter too. I am also trying to install Lion from a separate partition, but it does not go through the boot.

I managed to get Lion to boot and now have it set up just like how I have SL. Took me some time and playing around with different kexts but its working. I patched the ATI4600Controller.kext under Lion and I get QE/CI via VGA and HDMI. I'm going to continue testing to see if i can get the LCD active. Wish me luck...

• 4 weeks later...
I managed to get Lion to boot and now have it set up just like how I have SL. Took me some time and playing around with different kexts but its working. I patched the ATI4600Controller.kext under Lion and I get QE/CI via VGA and HDMI. I'm going to continue testing to see if i can get the LCD active. Wish me luck...

Wow, this is great news!! :) Do you have proper resolution on internal LCD?

• 3 months later...