How can you make boot OS X from a logical partition using grub?

2 posts in this topic

Hello guys!

I already installed Mac OS X 10.6 (SL) and updated it to version 10.6.7

I'm using a MBR partition scheme and have Windows 7 and Fedora 14 installed on the same disk, although I can boot both operating systems using grub as bootloader, OS X outputs strange characters instead of boot.

I've also installed [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and Chameleon RC5 but I'm not able to run it from hard disk (neither with grub chainloder mechanism or by making it the active partition), only through [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] CD.

My partition table is as follow:

=========================

Device Boot Id System Type OS

/dev/sda1 de Dell Utility Primary

/dev/sda2 7 HPFS/NTFS Primary

/dev/sda3 7 HPFS/NTFS Primary Windows 7

/dev/sda4 5 Extended

/dev/sda5 af HFS / HFS+ Logical Mac OS X

/dev/sda6 * 83 Linux Logical Fedora 14

/dev/sda7 82 Linux swap/Solaris Logical

=======================

As you can see Mac OS X is currently installed on /dev/sda5 which is a logical partition.

So my question is: Is possible to boot an OS X installation stored in a logical partition and using grub as bootloader? If this is the case, how can I do it?

Hello guys!

I already installed Mac OS X 10.6 (SL) and updated it to version 10.6.7

I'm using a MBR partition scheme and have Windows 7 and Fedora 14 installed on the same disk, although I can boot both operating systems using grub as bootloader, OS X outputs strange characters instead of boot.

I've also installed [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and Chameleon RC5 but I'm not able to run it from hard disk (neither with grub chainloder mechanism or by making it the active partition), only through [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] CD.

My partition table is as follow:

=========================

Device Boot Id System Type OS

/dev/sda1 de Dell Utility Primary

/dev/sda2 7 HPFS/NTFS Primary

/dev/sda3 7 HPFS/NTFS Primary Windows 7

/dev/sda4 5 Extended

/dev/sda5 af HFS / HFS+ Logical Mac OS X

/dev/sda6 * 83 Linux Logical Fedora 14

/dev/sda7 82 Linux swap/Solaris Logical

=======================

As you can see Mac OS X is currently installed on /dev/sda5 which is a logical partition.

So my question is: Is possible to boot an OS X installation stored in a logical partition and using grub as bootloader? If this is the case, how can I do it?

Is sda2 the System Reserved partition of about 100MB which means you have Win7 Ultimate?

What I don't see is the "hidden" 200MB EFI partition that SL uses.

Chameleon is installed to the MBR. So if you were just booting Linux and OS X, then you would install Grub to the first sector of the boot partition, not the MBR. That is fairly standard when using 3rd Party bootloaders, Chameleon reads the Linux root partition and won't install to the first sector.

I usually do this (install grub to first sector of the partition) during the initial install. I think it can be changed later by the following method but I haven't checked it.

http://members.iinet.net/~herman54/p20/GRU..._to_a_Partition

4) "Run the grub-setup command, inserting the -d option and specifying the path to the /boot/grub directory of the operating system you're trying to fix,

sudo grub-setup -d /media/disk/boot/grub /dev/sdaThe -d option tells GRUB to use files from the specified directory.

Please substitute the word 'disk' with the name of your own mount point as found in step 3)

The '/dev/sda' part tells grub-setup to install GRUB to MBR in the first hard disk, which is called '/dev/sda'.

You may use the same command to install GRUB in any other disks in your computer by replacing the /dev/sda part of the command with /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc and so on."

But I think you would use not /dev/sda but /dev/sda6 your Fedora partition and also perhaps use sudo grub update.

As you may know there is a limit of four primary partitions per drive (unless hidden) but I think both linux and OS X can boot from a logical partition.

So then I would try reinstalling Chameleon to the hard drive which writes Cham to the MBR also.

You can find guides for a manual install of Chameleon if the GUI doesn't work.

I think you would need to make the SL partition active since grub isn't written to the MBR.

You should at this point be able to boot from Chameleon and select Linux. Now if Grub the Linux bootloader is selected and then it shows you a choice between Linux and Windows, and then Windows works, you could quit while you are ahead. Otherwise Cham will boot as the default.

Lastly, I would do a repair install of Windows so that Windows is in the MBR I think the Windows

partition will be active in this step. If Windows is not first I think there is a hibernation issue.

Download free Easybcd. Add Mac OS X to the bootloader menu. Then you can boot Windows,

or select and boot to SL/Cham which should offer you either to continue with SL or choose Linux.

I will show you a picture of what my second drive looks like, from Win/Admin Tools/Disk Management

There is the 200mb efi partition, then SL, then 128mb true unallocated then Linux, then 2nd SL and a 9+GB swap partition.

post-689921-1301455736_thumb.png