My iMac Intel 20"

32 posts in this topic

I've been using Windows for a long time and when I first bought my Intel iMac; I was afraid I was too attached to Windows already and I would never get accustomed to OS X. Boy, was I ever wrong! Feels so good to never defragment (unless you operate multi-gigabyte files which most of us don't), search for spyware, or having to load up antivirus and firewall software like I did on Windows. I found myself using all of the features at least once, the built in microphone, web cam, remote for front row, USB ports on the keyboard, airport...etc Most of all, because they were implemented in a way they always should of been. I finally use keyboard shortcuts more than ever, use expose, dashboard with buttons in my logitech mouse. OS X makes computing fun again. I also ran bootcamp a while back and it ran XP faster than my 1 GB athlon 64 3500 hundred, and the LCD monitor is way better than the old CRT 19 incher I have from viewsonic (A90f+).

Whenever people ask me to fix their old computer, I can't help but chuckle and say, get a Mac. They have no idea what they are missing out on. I only use my Windows computer for a few software programs, gaming, and other stuff that I haven't yet been willing to get to work in OS X.. :gathering:

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought a:

Dell

Intel Core 2 Duo (2.4 ghz)

2 gigs DDR2 ram (600 or something mhz)

ATI Radeon X1300 Pro 256 mb

19 inch ultrasharp LCD monitor

320 gig hard drive

And all the other good stuff including 10 USB ports, PLENTY of room for upgrading with PCI slots, and etc.

For $1709 CAD (probably $1500 or so American.)

And are you telling me the 24 inch iMac with LOWER specs and HIGHER price is better?

I just don't get why that could be. I also have trouble believeing Mac said they beat Dell's prices... for what I can see, Dell beat them in prices AND specs.

jappo

but dude you'd be getting a dell!!

your dell is more like the 20" iMac

iMac 20" has faster graphics card but a smaller hard drive than yours.

Dell will charge you only $200 less but if you're a student buying the iMac it'll be about the same price as your Dell.

People who are here appreciate macs and I think for the same price or $100 or $200 more such as this specific comparison, people will choose Apple hands down.

heh.. just gonna put it out there.. I'm on those who are constantly moving multigigabyte files as you put it... while this means I do have to optimize the drive from time to time.. it's still not as bad as Windows in the fragmentation department, but there are good and bad reasons for both.

jappo

but dude you'd be getting a dell!!

your dell is more like the 20" iMac

iMac 20" has faster graphics card but a smaller hard drive than yours.

Dell will charge you only $200 less but if you're a student buying the iMac it'll be about the same price as your Dell.

People who are here appreciate macs and I think for the same price or $100 or $200 more such as this specific comparison, people will choose Apple hands down.

Your forgetting the faster processor... which is the most important part of the computer.

Your also forgetting the 1 gig of more ram. Which from what I see, is quite expensive if you buy with Apple.

But you're buying an Apple to get the OS pretty much,and it's tailored to that machine so it doesn't crash. And optimized. It's like buying Nike Shoxs for $100 but you find a cheap ol' pair at Wally World. They look pretty much the same and feel the same but guess what THEY AIN'T SHOXS. Basically if you get an Apple you're buying the OS and the Name.

Hrgasr: enjoy your new Mac!

JAPPO, if you really want to compare, go to apple.com and pick the closest spec:

20" iMac:

# 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

# 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB

# 500GB Serial ATA Drive

# ATI Radeon X1600/128MB VRAM

# SuperDrive 8X (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

# Apple Keyboard & Mighty Mouse + Mac OS X (US English)

# 20-inch widescreen LCD

# AirPort Extreme

# Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

$2599, or $2370 cdn with student discount. I don't know about you, but it seems to me the $600 difference is well worth the bigger hard drive, better graphics, bigger LCD, and more importantly, a form factor Dell just can't beat. Not to mention guaranteed compatibility with OS X.

And, eh, you cannot really say CPU is the most important part of the computer, the performance bottleneck will just as likely to be some other components too. I'm not really sure if it's worth to spent $274 cdn to upgrade from 2.13Ghz to 2.33Ghz C2D, which will bring the difference to about $300...

But in the end, it's what fits you, e.g. if you know you definitely need PCI slots for upgrade in the future, of course Dell is a better choice.

Hrgasr: enjoy your new Mac!

JAPPO, if you really want to compare, go to apple.com and pick the closest spec:

20" iMac:

# 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

# 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB

# 500GB Serial ATA Drive

# ATI Radeon X1600/128MB VRAM

# SuperDrive 8X (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

# Apple Keyboard & Mighty Mouse + Mac OS X (US English)

# 20-inch widescreen LCD

# AirPort Extreme

# Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

$2599, or $2370 cdn with student discount. I don't know about you, but it seems to me the $600 difference is well worth the bigger hard drive, better graphics, bigger LCD, and more importantly, a form factor Dell just can't beat. Not to mention guaranteed compatibility with OS X.

And, eh, you cannot really say CPU is the most important part of the computer, the performance bottleneck will just as likely to be some other components too. I'm not really sure if it's worth to spent $274 cdn to upgrade from 2.13Ghz to 2.33Ghz C2D, which will bring the difference to about $300...

But in the end, it's what fits you, e.g. if you know you definitely need PCI slots for upgrade in the future, of course Dell is a better choice.

For 600 dollars more, I could get a better graphics card and a better hard drive & still have all the room for upgrading + the better cpu.

And I don't think OS X has all the stuff I need (games)

You definitely have a point there. But I assume you at least have the intention of running OS X on it right? (so compatibility/stability matters)

And I don't think OS X has all the stuff I need (games)

I assume you know about Bootcamp? And Windows came with what, minesweeper? j/k ;)

JAPPO : does your dell include wifi, bluetooth and a webcam ? I know everybody doesn't need this, but that kind of small things makes a price rise quite quickly.

Another thought : any mac comes with iLife. I know a Dell can be shipped with some media oriented software too, but how much do you add for this ?

Ok guys, don't miss the point that Jappo is caring about the games, so it is normal that he'll choose the Dell and Windows combo so don't try to convince him. We all know what he is missing...

yes thats true, i know waht im missing, thats why im saving up money for January ;)

... btw.. did somebody tried an iMac with x1600pro-->run bootcamp-->play games in windows? how was it ? because im hoping to do that in the future (im not a hardcore gamer, only played PES5, the Godfather, MOH recently)

and Commlock, i love your sig!! :pope:

yes thats true, i know waht im missing, thats why im saving up money for January :angel:

... btw.. did somebody tried an iMac with x1600pro-->run bootcamp-->play games in windows? how was it ? because im hoping to do that in the future (im not a hardcore gamer, only played PES5, the Godfather, MOH recently)

and Commlock, i love your sig!! :2cents:

Well, I don't know how an iMac will react for the games but, as a several-year-windows-users-and-a-gamer, I can tell you that you can play most of the games in your bootcamped iMac with average or high details. However, you may have problems with some latest games that require high memory and GPU power.

Btw, thanks for the sig compliment :D

I'm only a casual gamer, so most of the games I have are at least a year old or so, and they run fine in bootcamp on the 20" iMac with mostly highest settings. The most recent ones I tried are probably WH4K Dawn of War, which runs fine on highest settings. I can imagine for newer releases you probably want to turn down a the settings a bit to get smoother frame rates. Definitely get the VRAM upgrade if you are thinking about the current lineup of iMac, since some of the newer games already states 256 VRAM as a recommendation.

Well, I don't know how an iMac will react for the games but, as a several-year-windows-users-and-a-gamer, I can tell you that you can play most of the games in your bootcamped iMac with average or high details. However, you may have problems with some latest games that require high memory and GPU power.

Btw, thanks for the sig compliment :)

ok nice to hear theres no driver or other issue with bootcamp. Now i know my saving will be worthed in couple of months, for that i thank you !!. And i dont worry about latest game, for me number 1 is gameplay,and then acceptable resolution at decent fps (30 fps is enough hehe), and then maybe i'll look for image quality.

fyi, im still playing prince persia 2 (DOS version) and digger in my spare time.. haha

@Timyang : 20" highest setting ? that's nice !! ah... this is perfect..

• 3 weeks later...

I'm saving for the 17" iMac Core 2 Duo with Ati graphics :)

I've saved $500 out of $1500 ($1199 base price + import fees + taxes)

I don't know if running Mac OS X on a PC is worth the trouble? Is it reliable?

GNU/Linux or *BSD may be more reliable than Mac "OSx86" but you just burned $1500 in a Dell (missing the opportunity to get a Mac)... do you even care about OS X?

When Steve Jobs said Macs are cheap than Dells, it's not true. I got a

Dell Dimension 1100

2.6Ghz Intel Celeron D

512MB RAM

Intel 82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller (Onboard Video)

17" Free Upgrade CRT Monitor along with a keyboard and two button scroll mouse.

All that was only $400 but I got it free as part of my internet package. The cheapest computer Apple sells is $600 (CAD) and doesn't have a monitor or keyboard/mouse.

Although I guess the price difference is only by $600, it's not that much but it still does mean Dells are cheaper though.

Your forgetting the faster processor... which is the most important part of the computer.

Your also forgetting the 1 gig of more ram. Which from what I see, is quite expensive if you buy with Apple.

He also forgot the 24" screen. Quite a big thing to miss.