Iphone Not detected by osx86 10.5.8

lauzonaj

3 posts in this topic

My iphone is not detected when connected by usb to osx86 10.5.8 desktop.

I have tried everything in both of the following support pages:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1747

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3540

but i have found a work around. The following solves the problem, until the next reboot.

in terminal..

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/

touch /System/Library/Extensions

... then the desktop/itunes etc. detects the iphone. Once i reboot, however, i have to repair the extension permissions again.

notable point: i can also get the iphone to detect if i remove/reinstall AppleMobileDevice.kext... and repair the permissions.

I've tried repairing the entire disk's permissions... reboot ok, but not detecting iphone... repair permissions on AppleMobileDevice.kext=>detecting, reboot... NOT DETECTING! Also noteworthy... if i do the 'workaround' i can logout and login and the iphone is still detected... only on reboot does it become undetectable again. I have done all the basics... swap cables=>no difference... try other pc/mac=>detectable... completed the troubleshooting on the above support pages.

SO... it's obvious that the permissions on AppleMobileDevice.kext get changed/corrupted upon logout/reboot.

please help!

Config:

OSX 10.5.8

Itunes 10.2.1

Iphone3gs iOS 4.2.1

UPDATE:

This is not only related to my iphone... it occurs with any usb device. If system boots with usb device plugged in, then it's detected... but after boot, the extensions folder must be 'touched' before any usb device is detected.

UPDATE:

This is not only related to my iphone... it occurs with any usb device. If system boots with usb device plugged in, then it's detected... but after boot, the extensions folder must be 'touched' before any usb device is detected.

Something wrong with your system, upgrade? Mine works flawlessly.