Kext Wizard - Easy to use Kext Installer and more

janek202

269 posts in this topic

The source isn't provided because It was my first application made in Obj-C for mac. Some parts of it are truly terrible.

I'm thinking about new, fully open-source version made for OS X Lion (so I could use ARC) with support for both Chameleon and Clover. But I doubt I will have enough time and motivation to write it before release of Mavericks.

The application is safe, I use it myself.

• Like 1

The source isn't provided because It was my first application made in Obj-C for mac. Some parts of it are truly terrible.

I'm thinking about new, fully open-source version made for OS X Lion (so I could use ARC) with support for both Chameleon and Clover. But I doubt I will have enough time and motivation to write it before release of Mavericks.

The application is safe, I use it myself.

Quite frankly, I don't think anyone cares how ugly the code is.  We see lots of that...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello

I'm trying to use a ATI 5450 on a MacPro. It works booting with snow leopard (10.6.8) partition, none booting with a Mountain Lion partition.

I'm looking to install the ATI5000Injector.kext and AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext files but there are not the Extra folder on my drive.

What can I do?

Works just fine for me under any DP ranging from 1 to 4.

Yep, it works - but NOT using it direkt after i updated / installed the dp. 

With ML same procedure is no problem - start kext wizard,  install update, reinstall patched kext (like AppleHDA) with kext wizard   before the restart.

With DP/GM kext wizard stalls after install kext.

Not having any of that.

What I do notice on Mavericks however is the version of the installed chameleon on the bottom of the window.

Like Darwin/x86 boot blablabla r2258.... that's unavailable for me on mavericks.

Else everything works like a charm just like it always did.

Not having any of that.

What I do notice on Mavericks however is the version of the installed chameleon on the bottom of the window.

Like Darwin/x86 boot blablabla r2258.... that's unavailable for me on mavericks.

Else everything works like a charm just like it always did.

Do you have the ShowInfo=YES entry in your org.chameleon.Boot.plist?

Do you have the ShowInfo=YES entry in your org.chameleon.Boot.plist?

Nope, till today I never even heard of that flag.

But even after adding it plus rebuilding caches I still don't see a difference.

It's not that important as I know exactly what version I installed, but still....

Not sure if more people experience this on Mavericks?

• 3 weeks later...

@janek,

As of Mavericks, Apple requests that developers no longer use the kextcache command.

The recommended procedure is repair permissions and touch. Thats all.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Why are permissions for installed kexts set to allow execution? This seems like the introduction of a huge security hole. For example, I just installed System.kext, and then ran Disk Utility immediately afterwards. Kext Wizard says it repairs permissions during installation, but every file and folder within the installed kext is set to allow execution:

Permissions differ on “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/Info.plist”; should be -rw-r--r-- ; they are -rwxr-xr-x .Repaired “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/Info.plist”Permissions differ on “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/AppleNMI.kext/Info.plist”; should be -rw-r--r-- ; they are -rwxr-xr-x .Repaired “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/AppleNMI.kext/Info.plist”Permissions differ on “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/ApplePlatformFamily.kext/Info.plist”; should be -rw-r--r-- ; they are -rwxr-xr-x .Repaired “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/ApplePlatformFamily.kext/Info.plist”Permissions differ on “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/BSDKernel.kext/Info.plist”; should be -rw-r--r-- ; they are -rwxr-xr-x .Repaired “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/BSDKernel.kext/Info.plist”Permissions differ on “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/IOKit.kext/Info.plist”; should be -rw-r--r-- ; they are -rwxr-xr-x .Repaired “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/IOKit.kext/Info.plist”Permissions differ on “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/IONVRAMFamily.kext/Info.plist”; should be -rw-r--r-- ; they are -rwxr-xr-x .Repaired “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/IONVRAMFamily.kext/Info.plist”Permissions differ on “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/IOSystemManagement.kext/Info.plist”; should be -rw-r--r-- ; they are -rwxr-xr-x .Repaired “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/IOSystemManagement.kext/Info.plist”Permissions differ on “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Libkern.kext/Info.plist”; should be -rw-r--r-- ; they are -rwxr-xr-x .Repaired “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Libkern.kext/Info.plist”Permissions differ on “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/MACFramework.kext/Info.plist”; should be -rw-r--r-- ; they are -rwxr-xr-x .Repaired “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/MACFramework.kext/Info.plist”Permissions differ on “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Mach.kext/Info.plist”; should be -rw-r--r-- ; they are -rwxr-xr-x .Repaired “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Mach.kext/Info.plist”Permissions differ on “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Private.kext/Info.plist”; should be -rw-r--r-- ; they are -rwxr-xr-x .Repaired “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Private.kext/Info.plist”Permissions differ on “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Unsupported.kext/Info.plist”; should be -rw-r--r-- ; they are -rwxr-xr-x .Repaired “System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Unsupported.kext/Info.plist”

• 2 months later...

hi Janek,

Thanks for all the hard work. Are you still developing a new kextwizard? I would like to add request for option to install kexts to /L/E/ instead of S/L/E as 10.9 onwards prefers 3rd party signed kext be placed here.

Thanks

g\

I am, but most likely It won't be ready before release of 10.10.

BTW. Patching of AppleKextExcludeList won't be possible. Editing Info.plist to add new entries will result in signing errors:

$codesign -v AppleKextExcludeList.kext 

AppleKextExcludeList.kext: invalid Info.plist (plist or signature have been modified)

• 1 month later...

I have a strange issue with KextWizard:

All of the following occurred on a clean install of Mavericks 10.9.4 (AppStore version) and again after a repeated clean install.

The first time I ran KextWizard (unfortunately I did not get a screen grab), under the "Target Disk" dropdown menu I had the option to select disks labelled "Mavericks" and "Windows7" (my labels).  I ran the wizard having selected the Mavericks disk but unfortunately I do not know whether this worked as I believe there was an issue with the Kext I was working on.

When I rebooted and came back to KextWizard I found that the disks listed under "Target Disk" had changed to "Item 2" & "Item 3" as shown in the image below:

post-1380994-0-29520900-1407204972_thumb.jpg

I tried a few reboots and downloading the application again but I was not offered the option/label "Mavericks" again.

I persevered and attempted to select "item 2" in case the issue was only the label and not the actual disk selection but all options were greyed out, as shown in the picture below:

post-1380994-0-07856300-1407204985_thumb.jpg

The same thing happened when I selected "item 3", all options greyed out, as shown below:

post-1380994-0-81883300-1407204987_thumb.jpg

Next I tried not selecting either "Target Disk" and instead leaving the dropdown selection on "choose".  This allowed me to select the options under Extra and S/L/E.

When I selected options under Extra and clicked Execute I was prompted to enter my username and password, as shown in the picture below:

post-1380994-0-09728200-1407204975_thumb.jpg

After this had processed I got the following error message:

post-1380994-0-90704500-1407204977_thumb.jpg

I followed the same procedure, leaving the "Target Disk" selection as "Choose" but this time selected options under S/L/E. I was again prompted for my username and password, as shown below:

post-1380994-0-24088900-1407204980_thumb.jpg

this time, I received as acknowledgement that the tasks were finished, as below.

post-1380994-0-48636100-1407204982_thumb.jpg

Other than the, rather unreliable, "Done" screen I have no way of determining whether or not KextWizard is seeing my Mavericks partitions, let alone whether it is making any changes.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? Is this a problem others have encountered?

I have a strange issue with KextWizard:

All of the following occurred on a clean install of Mavericks 10.9.4 (AppStore version) and again after a repeated clean install.

The first time I ran KextWizard (unfortunately I did not get a screen grab), under the "Target Disk" dropdown menu I had the option to select disks labelled "Mavericks" and "Windows7" (my labels).  I ran the wizard having selected the Mavericks disk but unfortunately I do not know whether this worked as I believe there was an issue with the Kext I was working on.

When I rebooted and came back to KextWizard I found that the disks listed under "Target Disk" had changed to "Item 2" & "Item 3" as shown in the image below:

attachicon.gif20140805_005642.jpg

I tried a few reboots and downloading the application again but I was not offered the option/label "Mavericks" again.

I persevered and attempted to select "item 2" in case the issue was only the label and not the actual disk selection but all options were greyed out, as shown in the picture below:

attachicon.gif20140805_020133.jpg

The same thing happened when I selected "item 3", all options greyed out, as shown below:

attachicon.gif20140805_020202.jpg

Next I tried not selecting either "Target Disk" and instead leaving the dropdown selection on "choose".  This allowed me to select the options under Extra and S/L/E.

When I selected options under Extra and clicked Execute I was prompted to enter my username and password, as shown in the picture below:

attachicon.gif20140805_015714.jpg

After this had processed I got the following error message:

attachicon.gif20140805_015731.jpg

I followed the same procedure, leaving the "Target Disk" selection as "Choose" but this time selected options under S/L/E. I was again prompted for my username and password, as shown below:

attachicon.gif20140805_015851.jpg

this time, I received as acknowledgement that the tasks were finished, as below.

attachicon.gif20140805_015904.jpg

Other than the, rather unreliable, "Done" screen I have no way of determining whether or not KextWizard is seeing my Mavericks partitions, let alone whether it is making any changes.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? Is this a problem others have encountered?

Same issue here

I heard about this bug, but I don't know what is causing this.

What items do you have in /Volumes directory?

Can you send me an output of ls /Volumes terminal command?

I will try to fix it when I have some time.

• 1 month later...

I have KW 3.7.10 that came with Niresh distro. However, trying to update with "Check for updates.." always fails with "Update Error!". Any ideas?

PS. I'm on 10.9.4.

Your version of the Kext Wizard.app is outdated. The latest updatable app version 3.7.11 is available at the head of this forum thread.

Here is the direct download link: http://wizards.osxla...t/download.html

Also, do yourself a favor and stop using distros as they serve no purpose.