HP PAVILLION M8120N GUIDE: GET SNOW LEOPARD ON (HACKINTOSH) -- iAtkos s3 v2 10.6.3

3 posts in this topic

I was able to successfully get OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.3 installed on my HP PAVILLION M8120N computer. Everything worked perfectly after the install except my internet, which was a quick kext update/install and I was good to go! Everything works great now! This install is as simple as booting from the disc, installing it with the right customized settings and then adding a kext file in a folder to get your internet working. It's very simple and worth it!!

However I didn't figure this all out right away, it took a lot of trial and error, spent days working on it....so I thought I'd help out those who are struggling with it with an extensive guide. My goal is to write this for people who don't know much about MACs.

***PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS INSTALL, IS ON A 2ND HARD DRIVE. WINDOWS ON HARD DRIVE 1, MAC ON HARD DRIVE 2. I'VE FOUND THAT THIS IS THE EASIEST WAY TO GO ABOUT THE INSTALL AND TO AVOID BOOT UP PROBLEMS.****

First off, before you start doing this, there are two things you have to do, they are required.

PRE-INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS

1. Go Into Windows On Your PC and Run An Everest Report

Everest is a free software program that will allow you to run a test on your PC to get all of its specs. You'll need this to troubleshoot any problems you might have because your specs might be slightly different than mine or others. For example, if your audio or internet doesn't work after MAC OSX is installed, this will tell you what your audio is or what network card you have and you can google it to find the MAC/Hackintosh equivalent kext files. On MAC computers, kext files are the driver files that help your MAC OS recognize your hardware properly. Having the wrong kext files will crash everything, so it's important that they match your specs. So first you need to know what your exact specs are...

http://www.lavalys.com/support/downloads

MY SPECS FOR COMPARISON:

HP PAVILLION M8120N

CPU Type: QuadCore Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2.40GHz

Motherboard Name: Asus P5BW-LA (Basswood3G)

Motherboard Chipset: Intel Broadwater P965

Graphics Card: nVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT

Audio: Realtek ALC888/1200 @ Intel 82801HB ICH8 - High Definition Audio

Network Adapter: Intel® 82566DC Gigabit Platform LAN Connect

2. You must go into your BIOS and make a few simple changes

A --- Under boot devices, set your CD Rom Group To Primary (1), Set Hard Drive Group to Secondary (2).

B --- Change IDE/SATA settings to: AHCI

3. Make sure your graphics card is compatible

I started off trying to install Kalyway 10.5.2 with a PNY Nvidia 210 graphics card and kept getting errors. I then switched to a NVIDIA 8500 GT that I had in another PC and my install went great. If you find yourself having to use bypass safe mode type commands to get the thing to boot up, chances are you're having graphics card kext file issues and it's a real pain to sort out when you can just start with a graphics card that is proven to work. Just note that many major issues will occur from your graphics card. Try to start with one that is known to work on a Hackintosh, doesn't matter which one/type of PC, if the graphics card works on one hackintosh PC, should work on yours!

WHICH VERSION TO INSTALL?

Finding the right version

Installing is actually fairly simple (once you know what to do). Most problems you'll have come from the DISTRO (software version you are using) not being proven compatible. For example, Kalyway v.10.5.2 is known to work on the HP M8120N, and is documented as working in the OSX wiki. If you have your doubts about what version to try out (maybe you have a slightly different HP PC model) check out the OSX wiki to see which ones have been shown to definitely work on your specific PC....

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...10.5.2/Desktops

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...0.5.2/Portables

Why the version matters

I installed the Kalyway 10.5.2 version successfully on my HP M8120N and can confirm it definitely works. I updated my kext to get my USB working and my audio/network kexts and got my audio and internet working. However it should be noted that certain programs like Final Cut Studio 3 require an OS version of 10.5.6 or higher or you won't be able to install it. You can't install FCS 3 on Kalyway 10.5.2. So keep this in mind before you start installing anything, check your potential software requirements. If you don't care about those software programs, then feel free to just install the Kalyway or whatever works for you. Since I wanted to install Final Cut Studio 3 after learning this the hard way, I set out to get Snow Leopard 10.6.3 to work, which is what this guide is about.

I also recommend using a DISTRO/Version that is newer because they clear up a lot of past problems with each new release, meaning a much easier and smoother install. Kalyway had a known issue with the USB drives not working after install, iAtkos s3 v2 10.6.3. fixed that problem with no additional work needed done. Which is what this guide is all about...

INSTALLING SNOW LEOPARD 10.6.3

The disc version I used was: iAtkos s3 v2 10.6.3.

1. Insert disc, restart PC

2. It will auto boot from the disc since we set CD Group to primary in boot sequences.

3. It takes around 5-10 minutes or so to boot and get to the install menu screen. Keep hitting next/continue until you get to a hard drive selection.

4. When at the hard drive menu screen, select disc utility on the menu bar, then find your hard drive you want to install MAC OSX on. Select erase, choose MAC OS Extended, name it something like "MAC" for easier identification. Exit the disk utility screen.

5. You should be back at the install screen and should now see the new hard drive listed, click on "MAC". You might have to scroll right to see it. **Do not click install yet!

6. Click customize to the left of install and customize your settings.

CUSTOMIZE SETTINGS

This is by far the most important aspect of any MAC OSX install. It's the difference between it working or giving you all sorts of error messages and problems. I've tried all sorts of combinations and it's the major issue on why some people are able to get it to work and some aren't. This is pre-loaded with all sorts of kext files (drivers) and settings for a wide range of computers. You cannot go through and select just anything. This isn't a select everything and it will cover all your bases sort of thing to assure it works. In fact if you select nothing at all and leave the defaults, you have a better chance of it working on your computer than going through and selecting the wrong things. However I'm going to share the settings that worked best for me on my HP M8120N.

We are starting with the defaults, leave everything the way they are unless I say otherwise.

1. Under Bootloader, uncheck aserebln and check Chameleon RC5.

Note: I tried RC4 with graphics enabler and it works under RC4, but I kept having problems with quartz extreme not being recognized for my graphics card and you need quartz extreme to install certain programs like Final Cut Studio 3. RC5 with graphics enabler fixed this issue.

2. Under Bootloader options, check Graphics Enabler

Note: This assures quartz extreme works on your graphics card, it's needed to install certain programs, you want this working.

3. Expand VGA, select your graphics card, I checked Nvidia

A -- Under EFI, I checked DVI/VGA

NOTE: This is your output settings on your graphics card. If you're not sure, look yours up. I use a DVI to VGA converter on mine to connect to my HDTV, so I checked DVI/VGA to assure it worked and maybe cover my bases. It worked!

B -- Under Enabler, I checked NVenabler

NOTE: I had graphics card problems before and later read that you are suppose to only select/use one enabler. Multiple enablers can cause conflicts, so don't check both! If you select VGA it checks both, you have to manually go through and make sure only 1 is selected. I selected NVenabler because it's preferred by many, it helped fix my graphics card problems.

NOTE: If you don't know, you're better off leaving it unchecked, try to get OSX Leopard installed on your PC and then try to track down the exact match later and update it. This is incredibly inconvenient, however it's better than not having it work at all because you select the wrong thing. Remember, first goal is to get OSX on your PC maybe with a bare minimum test install. You can always reinstall it and try other settings later after you know it definitely works. The settings above are the best for my PC.

TO SUM IT UP:

LEAVE ALL DEFAULTS

Uncheck aserebln/ Check Chamelon RC5

Check Graphic Enabler

Check NVIDIA -- EFI - DVI/VGA and NVenabler

7. CLICK INSTALL

NOTE: Takes around 20 minutes to install the OS.

8. After the install is complete, your PC will restart, you must remove the install disc or it will boot the install disc again. Upon restart, hit ESC to choose boot device, select the hard drive you have installed "MAC" on.

NOTE: This is why it's nice to install it on a 2nd hard drive like I said at the start of this guide. If you partition/split 1 hard drive and select the 1st one, it just boots up windows. Sometimes it even gives errors if your boot loader isn't functioning properly.

However in this install we did, You know hard drive 1 is Windows, Hard drive 2 is then all MAC! Select hard drive 2 and go right into your MAC computer! This is also nice, because you can go into the BIOS later and set HARD DRIVE 2, to be your primary boot sequence, so every time you turn on your PC, it auto boots right into the MAC! To get into the other one, hit ESC, and select to boot your other hard drive for windows, very simple.

9. It will go through the animated welcome screen. It will ask you to register/etc. Just keep hitting continue and you'll be able to skip past typing anything in. Keep hitting continue and you'll get to the username/password part. Enter them, hit continue/then continue again if you get that "are you sure message". It will start right up.

10. You've successfully installed it!

QUICK UPDATE ON USING A MAC:

In the bottom left corner (the face icon) is called the "Finder". Click that and you can access all your folders. You'll often read people say S/L/E. This is where all the kext (system/driver) files get installed/edited/deleted from. From finder, you click the folders System, Library, Extensions (S/L/E) and you'll see all your kext files. The main tool used to update things is the Terminal, which is like the Mac Command Prompt. Whenever you read people saying type "sudo rm" or some weird text, they are talking about things you type in the Terminal box. If you ever need to find something, launch finder and in the top right you can search for it. Some common things you'd search in finder... System Preferences or Terminal or Disk Utility. In the top left is the mac icon, if you click that, you can click "about this Mac" and check to make sure your specs are right. Click get more info and you'll have a list of all your hardware. Click network/graphics card and you'll see your graphics card and can get your device ID there. If you ever have to input your device idea into a kext, you have to take that number and add "de" afterwards. 0x0421de for example. This is good to know if you ever change graphics cards and need to update something. You cannot drag and drop kext files or you shouldn't unless you want potential errors, you need to use a program like Kext Helper to install them. So don't just drag and drop them into your extensions folder thinking you installed them! Use a kext installer!

11. Make sure your audio works.

Go into system preferences, click sound, output, select the proper connection you have. I plug my sound into the front, so I had to change it to front/headphones to hear my sound. Make sure you're on the right one. You can also move your sound to max and will hear it beep to confirm it is working.

12. Activate your ethernet/internet.

You'll need to install the proper KEXT for your network adapter. Since I have the Intel® 82566DC according to Everest, I used the INTEL 82566 kext.

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: There are multiple 82566 kexts out there, I've tried other ones that worked on Kalyway but they didn't work on Snow Leopard 10.6.3. You need one that is Snow Leopard compatible! This is very important and will save you some frustration. I used the one dvil posted up and it worked perfectly...

http://osx86.co/f57/intel-ethernet-82566-k...ow-anyone-t3829

12B: Once you get the Kext, it has to be modified.

I recommend modifying it before you install it. Basically you open the INTEL82566.kext file and you go to contents and click on the info.plist file. Scroll to the very bottom and you'll see version numbers listed. Those version numbers need to match your systems version numbers.

To get your version numbers, launch terminal, type:

kextstat

hit enter

A long list of info will come up. You need to get the versions, for example.. 10.3.0 or 1.6.9 from kextstat and update your info.plist. At the bottom of the info.plist are around 6 versions that need to be updated/match. Save the info.plist file and close it. You're now ready to install the kext.

12C: HOW TO INSTALL A KEXT

You can use a free program like KEXT HELPER. download link...

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/System-Utilit...xt-Helper.shtml

Basically it's as simple as extracting the zipped kext helper file to your desktop, launching the program, then dragging and dropping the kext file on it, clicking install, enter your password to authorize install, clicking fix permissions, then close it out and restart your PC. Sometimes Kext Helper will delay restart, you can go to your menu bar at the top and select force quit to force it to shut down if you see your restart is taking too long.

13. Turning your internet on.

Unfortunately your internet doesn't just come on, you have to turn it on. Go to terminal, search system preferences, launch it, click network. It may then start to recognize it, if not, in the bottom left corner click the plus sign to add a network. You should have an option for ethernet, select it. Then wait as it detects it and it should auto configure everything. Close it out and it auto saves it, you're done!

NOTE: If you go in there and click the plus sign and no ethernet option comes up (it will literally say "ETHERNET") then you installed the wrong kext or didn't update your versions properly in the info.plist file. Double check that you have the right kext for your network card and that your info.plist is updated with the right versions.

COMMON HACKINTOSH PROBLEMS/THINGS TO CHECK FOR:

1. Make sure your audio is working (try to play a song)

2. Make sure your video is working (play a video)

3. Make sure all your cores are being recognized (click apple logo in top left/about this mac)

4. Make sure your internet is working

5. Make sure quartz extreme is working (you'll know when you try to install something that requires it)

That's all, hope this helps someone!!

• 2 years later...

All I get when I load iAtkos s3 v2 is the Chameleon bootloader screen, what do I need to do? I'm confused I set the bios right and all that right, have the same exact pc as you except for a GeForce 8400GS card. Also in the Chameleon screen when I press f8 nothing happens, dunno how to get it to the prompt to type -v "whatever" to get the installation process to kick in.

Or is there a newer version with 10.8.... Known to be working?

Thanks!

Did what I had to do before, which was unhook all my hard drives except for one and it still just sits there as if it's already been installed waiting for me to select a drive with a os on it... If I press the down arrow key that's the only time I get any on screen Chameleon action, f8 does nothing...

Anyone Please??? LoL!