Dell 14R with intel i3 2.5ghz packed for $399!

AndreX86

1 post in this topic

Update 4.18.2011

- I wanted to inform anyone who looked at this page that the graphics ship in this dell 14r n4010 is NOT the intel HD 3000 which is on the new 'sandy bridge' cpus, it is simply 'intel HD GMA', the last model right before the HD 3000. the 'intel GMA HD' IS NOT SUPPORTED under OSX and you will not be able to use qe/ci.

Dell does now have Dell 14R's with the intel HD 3000 starting at $599. I think I may sell this laptop so I can buy that one instead as the graphics card is definitly supported. Or maybe call dell and ask them if I could trade it :-/... hmmm

With this current 14R, almost everything on the mac side works, including multi-touch track pad, sd card, media buttons, battery monitoring (with right driver), usb ports and digital out. What was not working was true sleep, qe/ci, and the wifi card.

Update 04.15.2011

- So I did finaly get the laptop and I have to say its not bad for $399.

- So ive confirmed that the customer OSX dvd's that I have do not work with this laptop. There may be commands I could try but I do not think they will work with such a new chipset.

- I did try the retail copy of snow leopard w/ [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and it did in fact boot buuuut i think the dvd copy I have is damaged because it gets stuck when loading a certain file so I need to get a new copy which may take some time.

- I found out that the model name of the laptop is N4010 and that there is already a post on the site for this laptop so I will continue any furture updates on under that post:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...30602&st=40

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So i just found this computer and will be purchasing in about an hour or so.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-14r-comb...n-14r-combo-mod

Here are the specs for this laptpop (DELL 14R)

Processor Intel® CoreTM i3 380M (2.53GHz/3MB cache)

Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Display 14.0" High Definition (720p) LED Display with TrueLife™

Memory2 2GB2 Single Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz

Hard Drive 250GB3 hard drive (5400RPM)

Optical Drive 8X CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive) - w/ Roxio Burn 1.0

Warranty 1 Year Limited Hardware Warranty (Shipping included 24x7 phone support)

Weight 4.96 lbs.

it also comes with a 1.3 MP web cam.

apple sells there baseline macbook for $999. This computer comes with a faster processor, same amount but faster RAM, same size HD, same DVDRW, webcam, LED display, and the new intel HD 3000 graphics which is what is in the 13" macbook pro which starts at 1,199 on apples site.

This is an inspiron model but it is not listed with the other 'inspirons' on dells site. To find the laptop you have to click on the 'Laptops & notebooks' link on the top of there site then when the page loads, on the left hand side click on 'under $500', the computer will be listed in that area.

Ive looked all over the web and comparatively this is the best laptop for your money , hopefully it isnt a piecer.

^^ copied that from my FB post. I think this will make for an EXCELLENT hackintosh. I will let you guys know for sure one I get it. I have only hackintoshed my AMD box which works pretty well for the most part but I use iAtkos or iDeneb or Zephyroth, never using the retail disc, but i think in this case i might be able to use the retail disc.