H57 Express - Success/Failure report  

4 members have voted

1. 1. How did your install go?

• Perfect - working full speed with Sleep
    • Some issues - but perfectly usable
    • Failed miserably - unusable

59 posts in this topic

Hey MM,

I'm back from vacation! The computer is working well but I wanted to upgrade to 8 gigs of ram. It seems to boot but when it gets to the apple start up screen it shuts down. Is this a maxmem issue? Is it possible to increase my maxmem to 8 gigs (maxmem= 8192) without having to do a whole new install from scratch? Is there a limitation to how much memory I can have with the ihazzard build - is it limited to 4 gigs?

Any help would be appreciated, I tried to figure this out - if I take out 4 gigs it works fine as soon as I add more it shuts down. I was wondering if I could change the maxmem in the appleboot.plist but there was nothing relating to maxmem it the file when I opened it up. If I have to do a whole new install I will, I just want to make sure it will work.

Cheers,

Lex

If you were using 4GB of memory before, this should not be an issue. Most 32bit drivers fail at 3GB, so you would not be able to boot with 4GB RAM either.

I have never had >4GB RAM in my machines, so cannot say for sure what it is. If you can type in -v at the bootloader (hit F8 rapidly on startup), then you may get some info before it restarts.

Hopefully you did not let OSX update via the internet -- that is POISONOUS to hackintosh builds.

If you can break into the bootloader, try pmVersion=0 to see if it is SleepEnabler causing the issue. Also, if you renamed your kernel (which you SHOULD have done already), you can try typing "mach_hack" before the above kernel flag. SleepEnabler is responsible for very early shutdown, as is non-AHCI in BIOS.

If you have run Windows since installing MacOSX86 on the same machine, you may have buggered up bootloader/chameleon. You should be able to reinstall these by booting from Hazzard DVD, using a more recent chameleon from the hard drive which you got off the internet.

PS. You need to edit /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist (NOT S/L/E)!

PPS. Are there any kexts you installed that are not 64bit? I took great care making sure all my kexts were 64bit.

Doing a search on the forum should find you the 64bit ones...

I have since wiped my install (in preparation for retail install), but my Win7 is running so short of space, I may convert it to a new NTFS partition (it is 1.5TB!). PS: latest Linux installs HATE GUID partitions, Mint10 (natty?) ran like a dog (and I also deleted the EFI partition, so no going back from there).

If I find a lot of free time, I will give it another try. I recently purchased a Blu-Ray burner, so will be installing that first... also have another DVI->HDMI cable, so might try that as well.

Cheers.

tmm

Hey MM,

I'm back from vacation! The computer is working well but I wanted to upgrade to 8 gigs of ram. It seems to boot but when it gets to the apple start up screen it shuts down. Is this a maxmem issue? Is it possible to increase my maxmem to 8 gigs (maxmem= 8192) without having to do a whole new install from scratch? Is there a limitation to how much memory I can have with the ihazzard build - is it limited to 4 gigs?

Any help would be appreciated, I tried to figure this out - if I take out 4 gigs it works fine as soon as I add more it shuts down. I was wondering if I could change the maxmem in the appleboot.plist but there was nothing relating to maxmem it the file when I opened it up. If I have to do a whole new install I will, I just want to make sure it will work.

Cheers,

Lex

I am doing the backup/reformat and reinstall tonight. I now have a lot of dual-layer DVDs, so will try it that way, and hopefully avoid the double-install to create a measly USB stick... :-/

If I cannot get this to work as expected, I will go back to the Hazzard method from before. Hopefully I will have enough info from my own howto to do it again (I might even take notes this time!)

Cheers.

I have finished my Retail install, it is virtually identical to Hazzard install, with two massive differences...

1. Cannot boot with -force64, causes kernel panic with AppleACPIPlatform.kext??

2. Pause every 10 seconds or so in any OpenGL program -- very annoying, most noticeable on iTunes visualization.

Any advice would be most welcome!

Macmeister, sorry to hear of the problems you're having with your retail install. I can't say I've ever tried forcing to 64 bit, I don't have any reason to. As far as the graphics go, I'm at a loss. I tried pulling up iTunes and turning on visualization and had no problems.

Now that I've provided absolutely no help whatsoever, I'm going to as for help myself. I have recently noticed a problem with my network adapter. The downstream traffic is fine at 1.5Mbps, but my upstream speed is non-existent (.03kbps). I have verified that it is this computer only, as other machines on this network are just fine. I know, I should verify that it's not a hardware issue first, but since I'm here I figured I'd ask. Are you having any problems with your network adapter? I'm using the stock onboard NIC with the kext you have provided.

Macmeister, sorry to hear of the problems you're having with your retail install. I can't say I've ever tried forcing to 64 bit, I don't have any reason to. As far as the graphics go, I'm at a loss. I tried pulling up iTunes and turning on visualization and had no problems.

Now that I've provided absolutely no help whatsoever, I'm going to as for help myself. I have recently noticed a problem with my network adapter. The downstream traffic is fine at 1.5Mbps, but my upstream speed is non-existent (.03kbps). I have verified that it is this computer only, as other machines on this network are just fine. I know, I should verify that it's not a hardware issue first, but since I'm here I figured I'd ask. Are you having any problems with your network adapter? I'm using the stock onboard NIC with the kext you have provided.

All my problems were solved with a Legacy 10.7 Kernel. I put a link in my Retail guide (new).

I have uploaded tens of gigabytes to my XBOX at full 100BaseT speeds. I have uploaded tens of gigabytes to another PC at full 1000BaseT speeds, so I do not know where the problem lies. Apparently, you can get the same card working with the R1000 kext (possibly with a dev/ven ID inserted in the kext), but I have never had a single issue. The network name needs to be manually set, and can change back unexpectedly (pain!), and my network obviously didn't work without setting up WORKGROUP or MSHOME in advanced settings.

If you are still having problems tomorrow, I'll send you my kext (I have a few, and may have posted the wrong one in the guide). If it still doesn't work then, it is obvious that DELL changed the specs for that machine without warning.

PS. I do not use the USB rollback found in [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]->[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], and my USB is working fine... I have heard of this happening before (slow speed) and the DVD-drive spinups, but neither of these problems have affected me. Try that xnu-kernel 10.7 legacy I posted, see how you go.

sudo chmod 644 /legacy_kernel

sudo chown root:wheel /legacy_kernel

best of luck!

tmm

PS. 64bit is WAYY more responsive on my machine, and media playback is smoother... especially high def content.

All my problems were solved with a Legacy 10.7 Kernel. I put a link in my Retail guide (new).

I installed the legacy kernel pkg from page 1 of this guide. Is that the same one? I then entered the lines in the terminal and got no response, positive or negative. I'm not sure what the terminal commands are supposed to do, but I entered them anyway. I rebooted and ran a speed test and had the same results, pitiful upload speeds. The kext I am using is called AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext, I don't know how to verify version or anything else but that's the file name. Please let me know if there is a different kext I should be using. I will try and put in a different drive and install Windows tomorrow, then if it's still slow I call Dell and gripe.

Thanks for the help!

If you are using a router, check that you have the ports forwarded, also check the Mac firewall setup...

You are not the first to report this, I have an OLDER 580MT, so I may have gotten lucky with the integrated LAN.

What lines in the terminal? They were almost certainly Kernel flags, to be entered at the Chameleon boot screen!

:-/

Cheers, I will research the kexts a bit, and reply.

I installed the legacy kernel pkg from page 1 of this guide. Is that the same one? I then entered the lines in the terminal and got no response, positive or negative. I'm not sure what the terminal commands are supposed to do, but I entered them anyway. I rebooted and ran a speed test and had the same results, pitiful upload speeds. The kext I am using is called AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext, I don't know how to verify version or anything else but that's the file name. Please let me know if there is a different kext I should be using. I will try and put in a different drive and install Windows tomorrow, then if it's still slow I call Dell and gripe.

Thanks for the help!

This one might help you -- booting from a live linux CD can get you the Ven/Dev IDs of your card...

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=37431

best of luck!

This may be very helpful too -- prepatched I believe...

http://osx86.sojugarden.com/files/Extensio...Family.kext.zip

Cheers,

tmm

uh oh, looks like it needs hex patching...

http://osx86.co/archive/index.php/t-3851.html

I will post my kext later today... along with my IONetworking Family.kext

In a few hours time... be patient!

I have moved to a Retail install, so will not be able to update this post anymore, please post relevant questions in my new Retail guide here...

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=258949

many thanks!

• 2 months later...

I have not been able to replicate the DVD spin-up issue. Please check your AHCI injector and check that it has support for Intel Series 5 SATA. This is easy to establish by opening the Info.plist file in a text editor.

Also remember, this is a NON-DSDT solution. Apart from an extra 10 seconds or so during bootup, and strange network issues with PS2 and VNC, this is as near to a 100% solution I have ever got (from MANY attempts).

PS. .I have downloaded the ASUS P7H57-D-V DSDT file, and may give it a try for a laugh. See if anything improves.

PPS. I am updating my smbios.plist file to MacPro3,1 (if it isn't already) to get ready for Lion.