H57 Express - Success/Failure report  

4 members have voted

1. 1. How did your install go?

• Perfect - working full speed with Sleep
    • Some issues - but perfectly usable
    • Failed miserably - unusable

59 posts in this topic

Hey MM.

So the process has begun. I have successfully installed Hazzard 10.6.6i on my computer, I tried to do the update to the 10.6.7 combo but it resulted in a kernel panic and eventually a new install. So I'm working with a 10.6.6i install and the computer is responding great, but that is to say not without some issues. Here is a list of things that I can't quite figure out thus far, I have kids so I can't put all the time I would like to obsess with this but I thought I might pick your brain (if you have the time :(

1. Well, no sound. Not a big deal as I will eventually be buying a Motu PCIe card and I am confident that I will get this working for my recording studio. Regardless, I followed your advice and uploaded the latest [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], followed the directions but alas it didn't work. I do not know how to install the DSDT file for my motherboard (or in fact what motherboard the 580 most closely resembles) and in my research this could be the issue. Any ideas or recommendations (ie how do I install the DSDT file?)

2. Can't quite figure out how to make it a dual boot system. Right now I go into the Bios and change it back to ATA if I want to see window 7. I might have missed something along the way... I confess, I'm a newbee :P

Things that ROCK!

1. Got the ethernet working and have it set up with my Airport Express. Thanks for the info!

2. Wow, it seems very responsive and fast! I know the i5 650 Sandy Bridge doesn't demonstrate an amazing benchmark but thus far it is fast and snappy. I am working with new iMacs and Mac Pro's at work and it seem just as responsive. More real life testing and observations to come but for $600 bucks.... WOW!

Thanks for all the help.

Lex

I tried to do the update to the 10.6.7 combo but it resulted in a kernel panic and eventually a new install

Oops, I neglected a very important piece of information, which I have since put in...

You need to add the boot flag: pmVersion=21

otherwise you get that kernel panic. You are free to update again... I renamed and used the original 10.6 kernel with the 10.6.7 update, but I extracted and installed the updated 10.7 kernel and System.kext from the 10.6.7 combo update, and installed that manually, and it has been running superbly.

PS. I got my first blue screen boot last night, fixed it with a reset, I hope it is not a sign of trouble to come...

This is a NO-DSDT system, don't even ask me how it can work, but it does! A lot of the stuff is in smbios.plist (which I have posted for my system), and the Kernel itself reads most info too... Just remember, a DSDT (and I tried a few) makes NO DIFFERENCE to the running of SL.

Here is the steps to fix dual boot -- you may wish to read the entire webpage first, and you will need to run the installer from the command line, with flags for silent and force.

UPDATE 1: Dual-booting with Windows 7 64-bit working. I needed to install AHCI drivers HERE(forced + silent) and edit the registry values as per HERE. I then needed to set Chameleon to ignore all other disks besides OSX default, and System Reserved - and renamed System Reserved disk to WIN7 in Chameleon PreferencePane.

PS. THIS is the webpage I want you to read thoroughly first, and when in the Command Prompt, typing /? usually brings up the different flags you can use with a program. From memory it was /F /s, but you MUST CHECK THIS YOURSELF!

PPS. This is what fixed my Core i3 Win7 64bit Home Premium dual boot running. I fear that driver link is for 64bit?!

PPPS. This was virtually impossible with WinXP, if you didn't slipstream an AHCI driver into the install CD, then you were stuck with no dual-boot with AHCI OSX86 forever :(

Thanks Again MM!

I won't be able to get to this all until this weekend but I really appreciate your help! I'll keep you updated.

Lex

Excellent -- remember, I am only using two boot flags, -force64 and pmVersion=21

This 'mac' even runs Portal 2 under Wine!

UPDATE: I need some feedback on the DVD access problems reported by some of you... Have you tried removing the AHCI injectors (2) ?

Also, it appears I may have installed a hacked driver that supports the Intel 5 Series chipset (ICH 9 SATA?)

Anyways, I have perfect 4x SATA ports (DVD-RW, 3x HDD).

Let me know your setups, and what ports you are using for DVD-RW.

Cheers.

Hi MM.

I have not had any problems thus far at all with my DVD, no spinning etc. I am away from my Dell right now but I followed your set up right up to the 10.6.6i harzard install. I have not run the combo yet as I am not quite sure how to do the flag command you mentioned earlier (again I am a bit of a PC newbie).

UPDATE: I have dual boot working great right now! Thanks for the info, still no sound - can't quite figure out why, I have tried everything with the new Muliti-Beast in terms of what was recommended. Bit by bit I am starting to fit the puzzle together.

Thanks again!

Hi MM.

I have not had any problems thus far at all with my DVD, no spinning etc. I am away from my Dell right now but I followed your set up right up to the 10.6.6i harzard install. I have not run the combo yet as I am not quite sure how to do the flag command you mentioned earlier (again I am a bit of a PC newbie).

UPDATE: I have dual boot working great right now! Thanks for the info, still no sound - can't quite figure out why, I have tried everything with the new Muliti-Beast in terms of what was recommended. Bit by bit I am starting to fit the puzzle together.

Thanks again!

The sound is not very confusing, but the placement of the kexts is a bit so. If you look at my new first large pic, you will see the placement of the kexts, you need an injector, HDA rollback, and the driver itself... thanks to MacMan for figuring this one out. This will probably only work on the 580MT. It is well worthwhile to boot with a live Linux DVD, or a live WinXP MiniPE -- to check the exact details, vendor and device ID of your sound codec. If you have the 580 Slim, or if your overseas model has a slightly different sound codec, you will need to adjust your drivers accordingly... PS.. Is there a setting for the sound in the BIOS? Choose the simplest option in there...

Thanks MM,

It has been a great learning process thus far. My 580 is not a slim it was shipped from North America and is one of the new ones with the i5-650 chipset. I have been researching a lot online and there was some suggestions as to some other kext that I might try, something about the Appple HDA.kext changing after 10.6.2 (??). No biggie however, I have ordered a Motu PCIe sound card for my studio and reports thus far are that it works right out of the box!

Not really sure I want to update to 10.6.7 as everything is stable so far. I'll keep you posted, thanks a lot for your help. If it weren't for your great tutorial I would not have gotten this far, nor would I have bought the Inspiron 580.

You Rock!

Thanks. Hope you didn't get the model with the SoundBlaster X-Fi XTreme, as NO X-FI CARDS are supported AT ALL, under any OSX.

boo!

Check your BIOS settings, and see if integrated is disabled. You can always crack the case open and look at the rear breakout panel, and see if they go to the correct mobo riser... All a bit beyond the n00b, but if you can enable the integrated Realtek 88x (or whatever it is), you can get perfect digital sound (that even OSX thinks is legit).

I think I may have another issue with my configuration here. My network adapter has almost no upstream throughput. I don't know if I explained that correctly, but using a speed test I get 0.01Mbps upload speeds. That isn't too big of a deal, except if you need to send an email that's any bigger than 1MB. Actually, at that speed even 1Mb is a big deal.

Is anyone else having that problem?

Macmeister: As far as the DVD goes, I haven't had time to try your solution yet.

I think I may have another issue with my configuration here. My network adapter has almost no upstream throughput. I don't know if I explained that correctly, but using a speed test I get 0.01Mbps upload speeds. That isn't too big of a deal, except if you need to send an email that's any bigger than 1MB. Actually, at that speed even 1Mb is a big deal.

Is anyone else having that problem?

Macmeister: As far as the DVD goes, I haven't had time to try your solution yet.

I was sharing from OSX, and copied some very large files via gigabit (direct crossover cable connection) and ran average of approx. 35MB/s. This is the write speed of an older ATA Hard Drive! so I am very happy here. Works after sleeps as well.

BTW, I had to edit my AppleBCEthernet kext with the correct Vendor/Device ID (from memory?).

Also, are you going through a switch/router? Might need configuring for port forwarding etc.

Dell seem to be known for throwing in whatever internal components they have on hand -- and not sticking to a stock set of components. Even the same model can have different sound/video.

Use HWinfo32 -- http://www.hwinfo.com , get all the vendor/device IDs of all your components and then look up the exact hardware name here -- http://www.pcidatabase.com/

Its DONE... for now at least!

I finally got my sound working. The Tonymac Realtek kext [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] thing wouldn't work for me so I used the latest universal VooDoo kext instead!

IMPORTANT: Make sure to delete the AppleHDA.kext from Systems>Library>Extentions first or you will get a kernal panic.

Then

In [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] select (check) System Utilities and then from the audio components selection check only the latest VooDoo driver (not sure what number it is but it was the last one). All the other audio selections should remain unchecked, as it is an either or thing... either you use the Realtek HDA option or the VooDoo Universal options.

Hope this helps anyone else out there going through audio issues.

Cheers.

I have officially marked my Hackintosh %100 successful, that is until something comes up, or I break something censored.gif

Its DONE... for now at least!

I finally got my sound working. The Tonymac Realtek kext [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] thing wouldn't work for me so I used the latest universal VooDoo kext instead!

Did you try all 3 options for the ALC 888b? including driver rollback, it won't work without AppleHDA rollback (10.6.2?)

I was using VoodooHDA before, and it was SO-SO, but the 888b driver (written paricularly for this sound chip) works spectacularly, and shows up as correct, Apple built-in audio in System Profiler.

Anyways, glad to hear you got some sound...

Did you try all 3 options for the ALC 888b? including driver rollback, it won't work without AppleHDA rollback (10.6.2?)

Yeah I tried everything with the driver rollback and the various ALC 887/888b,889 etc... I even located what I think was the proper 10.6.2 AppleHDA kext and loaded that in my systems/library/extentions folder (However I'm not sure it was the right one). Speaking of which would you be able to post a link to the AppleHDA kext you are using, maybe I'll give that a try.

One thing I am not sure of is how I am using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] for installation... Is there a correct sequence or method you are using, I followed the instructions each time I tried to load different Realtek drivers but it never worked (ie. System Utilities, AppleHDA Rollback, the Non-DSDT HDA Enabler and every Realtek ALC8xxxHDA they had (individually each time of course). Then I would reboot and....

No change... no sound... Hence my trying the VooDoo.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks again,

Lex10

Am I doing something wrong?

Not really -- there are instructions elsewhere for the 888b MacMan HDA drivers, which I read first, then discovered it was included in [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

I do know that you need a very specific location of the kexts, ie: I believe the two main kexts are in the S/L/E folder, and the injector is in /Extra.

Have a look at my first pic (the file listings) and you will see where everything is located. You will need to zoom in of course :-)

You must remember to run Kext Utility after doing absolutely anything with kexts. I remember installing this after my original fresh 10.6.6i Hazard install, and it worked fine first boot (and has been working fine, even with new kernel, and 10.6.7 update (I cannot recall if I reinstalled it after the update). I will zip the 3 files, write a quick howto, let you remove any excess audio kexts, and try with mine (+ kext utility before reboot). Reboot with -f, and see what happens. I will post the replacement kexts straight away.

Cheers.

Not really -- there are instructions elsewhere for the 888b MacMan HDA drivers, which I read first, then discovered it was included in [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

I do know that you need a very specific location of the kexts, ie: I believe the two main kexts are in the S/L/E folder, and the injector is in /Extra.

Have a look at my first pic (the file listings) and you will see where everything is located. You will need to zoom in of course :-)

You must remember to run Kext Utility after doing absolutely anything with kexts. I remember installing this after my original fresh 10.6.6i Hazard install, and it worked fine first boot (and has been working fine, even with new kernel, and 10.6.7 update (I cannot recall if I reinstalled it after the update). I will zip the 3 files, write a quick howto, let you remove any excess audio kexts, and try with mine (+ kext utility before reboot). Reboot with -f, and see what happens. I will post the replacement kexts straight away.

Uploaded, should be available here, or first post. Best of luck. The main ALC8xx.kext was in /Extra/Extensions the AppleHDA and HDAEnabler kexts were in /System/Library/Extensions.

Cheers.

ALC8xxHDA.zip

Maestro!

Wow, you are very helpful and generous with your knowledge and time. I will get to this ASAP, unfortunately I have a trip to go on for a couple of weeks so I won't be able to tell you what happens until I get back. I might try this now... but really I want to make a back up of my hard-drive before I crash it all :) .

Again thank you good sir. One last question.... How do I sticky your guide, I was trying to figure it out but I am new to Insanely Mac - indeed a newbie.

I am in the process of recommending the Inspiron 580 to a couple of friends of mine. I most certainly will be helping them out and if it wasn't for you and your guide this ripple effect would not be happening.

For anyone new to this forum thread.... go buy an Inspiron 580! It would have cost me more in money and time to make this from scratch and thus far I am SOLD. This is coming from a long time Mac user who has spent way too much money based on the love of an operating system and the programs (Logic, Final Cut etc...) that I work with.

Again, MacMeister you ROCK

Again, MacMeister you ROCK

Awwww, shucks.

I just hope this gets your sound working. I cannot remember if I needed to edit device IDs, but I am almost certain that I didn't (perhaps I should have taken notes) :-)

After an uncomfortable online chat help session with a Dell (Indian call centre), it became quite obvious that it could have ANY audio chipset inside. Bit of a downer really. My dell is a refurbished model (ie: the graphics card didn't work, no original discs). All the rest was gold, and I had my own graphics card anyway...

I am rapidly approaching the point where I want to attempt a Retail DVD install (10.6.3) and update to 10.6.7. I have been backing up everything I download, so I should be OK. I may even need to print out and follow my own guide :-)

This will be (in very real terms) EXACTLY THE SAME in speed, visuals and functionality to a Core i3 21" iMac (maybe faster). I will triple check I have everything backed up first. I have the Mac on a 500GB partition, with a further 1GB partition on the same drive containing the backups. Once I have retail version installed, I will burn the sizable backup set to DVD, then recover that 1GB for other purposes.

PS. I think only the forum moderators can sticky this thread, but it has not proven too popular. I was honestly hoping there were dozens of Dell users screaming out for a snow leopard guide...?!

I have the same pc could u help with kexts

and be ma friend on fb

i get errors while installing

"The installer could not validate the contents of the '10.5.7 Intel' Package. Click Restart"

i use busratio=22 cpus=1 -x -v

pls help

Your disk sounds like it did not burn correctly. Burn at the slowest speed possible (I use 4x, as that is my slowest burn speed for DVDs), and if that still doesn't work, you can use Empire EFI.

All of the extra kexts I used are in this guide. I can help you with specific kexts when you need them, although there are not many. If you can download Hazard 10.6.6i (and patch it), then your Dell should boot fine with the DVD. Also, I don't tend to use -x on boot (especially for an install). I tried with iAtkos and others, but could not boot off any DVDs other than Hazard 10.6.6i (patched). Someone else on this thread has also installed Retail 10.6.3 Snow Leopard on a 580 using a boot EFI disk.

best of luck!

I have the same pc could u help with kexts

and be ma friend on fb

i get errors while installing

"The installer could not validate the contents of the '10.5.7 Intel' Package. Click Restart"

i use busratio=22 cpus=1 -x -v

pls help

Shouldn't be an issue when burnt onto quality media at the slowest speed supported by that media -- I have uploaded absolutely everything I used (except 10.6.7 Combo Update, because it is 1GB) to HERE.

Added link to SleepEnabler for 10.6.7.

I don't know if I even installed this, but there is a link here now!

Remember - pmVersion=21 as a kernel flag!

Along with AHCI.pkg, which I am pretty sure I installed too!

best of luck everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the process of performing a fresh install via [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and Retail 10.6.3, with the hope of updating to 10.6.7.

I will need to back up about 50GB of stuff, and wipe the entire hard drive, as I have accidentally on purpose deleted the EFI partition...

This will take a while, and I may need to do this off USB stick.

More news as it becomes available.