[Guide] Installing Apple Bluetooth Module in your Hackintosh

Swhay

106 posts in this topic

Please see the attached PDF document which outlines step by step with pictures how to add an Apple Bluetooth module like the ones found in the iMac, Macbook, and Macbook Pro to your Hackintosh PC for fully working Bluetooth just like a real Mac.

How_To_Add_an_Apple_Bluetooth_module_to_your_PC.pdf

I hope there are some members out there that can use this. It sure has helped me a lot and gave me full Bluetooth functionality in my "Mac Pro" (Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5) and the Magic mouse and wireless keyboard both work just as good as they do on my 2009 27" iMac.

• Like 11

• 1 month later...

All I did was buy a Mac-compatible Bluetooth dongle from Fry's for about $10. It plugs into USB and the Hackintosh sees it just fine. I'm using my iPad now, but if you want me to provide details, send me a PM and I'll post everything I can find out about it.

All I did was buy a Mac-compatible Bluetooth dongle from Fry's for about $10. It plugs into USB and the Hackintosh sees it just fine. I'm using my iPad now, but if you want me to provide details, send me a PM and I'll post everything I can find out about it.

This ones a bit different tho, the dongles (apart from the old DLINK one with Mac firmware) can't wake from sleep using a bluetooth device, like if you have a Bluetooth keyboard or mouse and you press a key it wakes up, no USB keyboard/mouse needed :-D

This ones a bit different tho, the dongles (apart from the old DLINK one with Mac firmware) can't wake from sleep using a bluetooth device, like if you have a Bluetooth keyboard or mouse and you press a key it wakes up, no USB keyboard/mouse needed :-D
I don't know. My Hackintosh can't sleep, so I haven't tried that. The dongle I purchased is the IOGear GBU321, which costs about $23 at Fry's. It is a USB dongle which the Mac recognizes automatically; I didn't need to install or add driver software. It works very well, but you're correct, I never tested whether it supports Wake from Sleep.

Go to Frys get this one " SABRENT Mini Bluetooth USB Adapter " Part# 6103319, it costs $9.99. It works OOB with my Trackpad, but cannot wake computer, I have to used keyboard. Hope this help

For anyone that doesn't have a spare USB header on the motherboard:

1. Get a normal USB A to B Cable.

2. Cut the end off and strip to get access to Red, White, Green and Blue cables.

Working fine for me.

I then ran the cable through the computer and behind one of the CD/DVD plastic blanking plates.

• 2 weeks later...

Well my original apple (G5) module arrived installed no problems, running very well... Except wake from sleep.

It is grey'd out and cannot select. Ive tried the apple firmware update for the module.

Checked the kext and its listed in there.

Any ideas?

Well my original apple (G5) module arrived installed no problems, running very well... Except wake from sleep.

It is grey'd out and cannot select. Ive tried the apple firmware update for the module.

Checked the kext and its listed in there.

Any ideas?

I am not sure if the PowerPC architecture makes a difference or not, but I would get another bluetooth module from an Intel based mac (2006 or newer).

Apple Macbook A1181 Bluetooth Module

• 2 weeks later...
Please see the attached PDF document which outlines step by step with pictures how to add an Apple Bluetooth module like the ones found in the iMac, Macbook, and Macbook Pro to your Hackintosh PC for fully working Bluetooth just like a real Mac.

How_To_Add_an_Apple_Bluetooth_module_to_your_PC.pdf

I hope there are some members out there that can use this. It sure has helped me a lot and gave me full Bluetooth functionality in my "Mac Pro" (Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5) and the Magic mouse and wireless keyboard both work just as good as they do on my 2009 27" iMac.

Thanks for the excellent guide!

Everything worked the first time around.

Magic Mouse now wakes up the system from sleep!

anyone use this bluetooth module in windows7 ? It don't seem to see a bluetooth control in control panels for it? my keyboard is paired with the module but i can't add my magic trackpad since i can't access the the bluetooth settings in control panel within windows 7

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent Guide! I can't wait to get this project rolling (mini project).

What model bluetooth module are you using? Do you know what other models work?

Looking on ebay, sellers do not put what year/macbook model the cards come from.

Also, some don't come with the logic board cable; do you know if they are a one size fit all type?

Thanks!

Can any electrical wizards enlighten me?...

I have purchased a bluetooth module on eBay UK. Looks identical to the one in the PDF guide except the four wires are coloured:

Black, Grey, Blue, Green (as seen in this fixit pic)

How do they correspond to the Yellow, Green, Red and Black in the PDF?

Any pointers appreciated. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Can any electrical wizards enlighten me?...

I have purchased a bluetooth module on eBay UK. Looks identical to the one in the PDF guide except the four wires are coloured:

Black, Grey, Blue, Green (as seen in this fixit pic)

How do they correspond to the Yellow, Green, Red and Black in the PDF?

Any pointers appreciated. Thanks

Black is ground, == Black in the guide

Grey is Data+, == Yellow in the guide

Blue is Data-, == Green in the guide

Green is Power, == Red in the guide

Your four wires are inserted in a 4 socket connector. You can easily find the pinout for the USB header on the motherboard, and using the (R,W,G,B) for the USB cable, I was able to decode the wire colors attached to USB cable.

--skip

Just ordered the parts from eBay. Can't wait to get it installed. I used the link provided in the PDF to get the DC converter for $3.95 and found the bluetooth module on eBay with the power cable and antenna for $4.95. Less than 10 bucks!!! Can't beat that.

I've already got a Apple WiFi module connected via a mini PCI-E to PCI-E adapter. Once I get the bluetooth working I'll have a complete Hac Pro!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Swhay, thank you for this nice guide!!!

For all Folks in Germany, for me the Recom R-783.3-0.5 DC/DC Converter works fine. If you'll use it, you have to connect the red power line from the USB Cable to the pin in the leftmost position if you're looking at the printed site of the converter. The red power line from the module has to be attached to the rightmost pin. Both black cables from USB & from the Bluetooth-Module must get connected to the middle pin.

Good luck and a calm hand :)

Cheers, Phil

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Success!!

Day one, I am pleased to report all is well in hack land. Just need to have this impossible thing called patience.

I ordered a bt module from an intel mac book for 7 bucks. I was astonished how tiny they are hehe. found a 5 to 3.3 v converter other than what is specified in the guide that works as well and it's only a dollar plus shipping. I pulled a usb front panel cable from an old case, tested it the clunker machine first to make sure I was getting 3.3v, wired it into the usb header of my board, and snaked the wire out back. Tapped it up some with electrical tape to hide exposed solder contacts and secured to the case with zipties.

Thanks for the guide, I wouldn't have ever done it with out it!

Getting about 50 to 56 -dBm on Connection RSSI

Converter

LM3940IS-3.3 Voltage Convertor 5V to 3.3V 1A

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250549492987?ssPag...9#ht_500wt_1180

post-642937-1317096315_thumb.jpg

Bluetooth

Apple MacBook A1181 Bluetooth Board 820-1829-A

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280737141203?ssPag...#ht_5161wt_1180

Update 9/30/2011

apple wireless keyboard and magic mouse both working in os x and windows. I did run into a few issues right away, it's bothersome to have to re-pair the mouse, but the keyboard is much easier to setup for dual boot. The bluetooth module is doing great, I have a good signal in windows and os x. I'm not sure what exactly I did to the drivers in windows but it doesn't think I have a bluetooth device installed, I think it's treating it like a regular usb hid thing for wireless keyboard/mice. Device manager doesn't show a bluetooth. But on the bright side, my wireless keyboard works following power on self tests, either from mac or windows. Problem is, since the keyboard and mouse don't have any entries in device manager in windows, I can't update drivers, so I'm stuck using the generic windows drivers and I lose the ability to "magic scroll"... but all in all, satisfied I have a working bluetooth adapter.

Update 10/3/2011

i had mouse and keyboard working in windows for a while. i thought i would install boot camp drivers to add scrolling to the mouse, and now while that didn't work, it sprung up a whole mess of problems. if i have the usb keyboard plugged in, the keyboard seems to work fine in bios and even in windows. if the keyboard is unplugged, keyboard/mouse doesn't work. also the device isn't being recognized correctly, it's giving me error code 10 or 43 in windows. i made a 700mb boot camp windows setup files folder from setting up bootcamp on a modern macbook. that folder contains, bluetooth installer, enabler, and broadcom installer. Ive tried installing all of these files and I can't get it to work right. Works fine in os x...

FIXED, what it was, Apple boot camp or I must have installed this WICOM driver and when I removed it from control panel, rebooted, all is well, keyboard mouse is working, magic scroll works too! :blink:

post-642937-1317096213_thumb.png

I did this a few weeks ago and it works really well.

My only problem is that other devices like my iphone can't see my 'mac' pro via bluetooth even though it's set to visible.

Are there certain modules that only allow use with mice and keyboards and don't support the receiving of files?