Asus P8P67 Pro install guide

Guest ^Andy^

663 posts in this topic

How do you get your onboard audio to work, have jmicron sata support and avoid the kernel panics that usueally ensue from not having NullCPUPowerManagement installed if that's the only kext in your extras folder? I'm curious!

Are you sure you have rebuilt the extra/extensions.mkext file since deleting the kexts?

Andy,

First of all, I'd like to say a big thank you for your efforts, your boot CD made it mega easy. I did post earlier in thread and give my build details (probably a couple of pages back)

I'm kinnda new to the Hackintosh scene (though I've been using Macs/NeXT computers for about 20 years). So far it's been fun.

I'm not using on board audio, instead I'm using BOSE Companion 5 USB audio system (though I get a buzz from them sometimes which goes if I put the volume up or down a notch in SL). Also using an Hercules Rmx USB DJ console which works fine.

I've not had any KP's from the machine which has run more or less 24/7 since I built it a week ago, I went to DSDT about 3 days ago and have been playing since then as of today (18 hours ago I've only run with FakeSMC). I am not sure on the purpose of the JMircon kexts from what I read (On MacMans blog or maybe TonyMac) they only make the system profiler say the SATA ports name instead of unknown. Seeing as the chipset is Intel why are the called JMicron kexts - apologies if that's a dumb question? EDIT - from what I can tell the uATX P67 board P8P67-M-Pro does not have any JMicron controller.

The machine will not boot if the DSDT is removed along with NullCPUPowerManagment. With DSDT it boots fine.

Extensions Mkext cache has been rebuilt after every change using pfix 3.1 & Kext Wizard.

On side note (I know you crossfire ATI) I had a problem with a KP on the initial boot after trying to get QE/CI working, I installed the Cuda drivers from TonyMac and GraphicsEnabler=Yes, PCIroot=1, this gave me the KP, when I removed the 9800GT I had in for PhysX (under Win 7) the KP went, any idea how to fix this?

Still using the AnVaL 5.1.4 bootloader from your CD.

Again thanks for your hardwork.

brams

Could you detail the process, and post the dsdt/ssdt which I assume is from RevoGirl? I couldn't get audio working using DSDT/SSDT without patched AppleHDA. Did add the three kext's from MPB SB update? AppleLPC, etc?

I used RevoGirls DSDT and SSDT files dropped them on iaslMe as she instructed and just, I added the 3 kexts from 2011 MBP 8,2. I had to rename the SSDT to ssdt-1.aml and ssdt-2.aml. Wasn't sure about the com.apple.Boot.plist so played with that and found that both SSDT's seem to load if have Dropssdt=No (not 100% sure about this yet) if I dumped ACPI with it set to Yes I only dumped back 1 ssdt, set to No they both dump back? in /Extra I have 1 DSDT and 2 SSDT's

In the same thread she mentioned a .plist which you put inside FakeSMC.kext but it does not enable the audio (or change the system profiler SATA ports from unknown).

Audio is not a big deal as I am using BOSE Companion 5 USB speakers.

Thanks

brams

GTX 460 is noted as "Freezing" I was going to go the route of building my rig with a 460 but the freezing issue put me off. I too used Andys boot CD on a P8P67-M-Pro B3 and used the TonyMac Cuda package but went instead for a GTX 480 and my rig is 100% stable no matter what I throw at it.

I just tried replacing the 460 with an old 8800GT card, this didn't help. But it I began to notice that I had the same problems in win7 aswell.

I read some posts about increasing DRAM voltage, when using all 4 memory slots. I did this, and it actually got me going a bit further. Even when switching back to the 460 card.

I will try to do some more testing with this, before investing in a 480card (here its 3times the price of the 460)

In the same thread she mentioned a .plist which you put inside FakeSMC.kext but it does not enable the audio...

We inject layout-id 0x037c (892) for this with help of EFI device-properties, but you could add a _DSM method in your DSDT to do the same, be it a lot slower. We also clean up the Info.plists to speed up the boot process, thanks to dgsga, like so (a neat little script):

#! /bin/bash
cd /usr/libexec
sudo ./plistbuddy -c "delete :IOKitPersonalities:HDA\ Platform\ Resource:Layouts" /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAPlatformDriver.kext/Contents/Info.plist
sudo ./plistbuddy -c "delete :IOKitPersonalities:HDA\ Platform\ Resource:PathMaps" /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAPlatformDriver.kext/Contents/Info.plist 
sudo ./plistbuddy -c "delete :IOKitPersonalities:HDA\ Hardware\ Config\ Resource:HDAConfigDefault" /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext/Contents/Info.plist

And we bin-patch AppleHDA with:

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x62\x02\xec\x10|\x92\x08\xec\x10|g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

...or change the system profiler SATA ports from unknown).

You need AppleAHCIPort.kext version 2.1.6 for this

I hope this helps to solve the last few issues you have with your setup.

Andy,

Anyway to change the amount of time that the boot loader takes to scan before loading the OS? Also anyway to customize the background to make it look like a real mac with grey background?

Also I was able to solve my resolution issues by following this guide:

Aquamac guide to making GFX Strings

Not sure if hardware acceleration is loaded or not or even if the kexts are loaded properly. But I now have 1920x1080 awesome resolution!

Thanks.

Ok I decided that was all far too complicated so now it's even simpler.

5 - Install 10.6.7 update combo (if you forgot to download it first no problem, just run the install package from the cd and reboot to get a working internet connection then go ahead and download it).

6 - Once the update is complete reboot again using the bootcd

7 - Open the bootcd, copy the installer package to your desktop and then run it (it's important to copy the installer to disk and not run it from the cd otherwise your sound will not work - this a bug in the postinstall script that I haven't been able to track down yet.

8 - Reboot without the bootcd.

Hi Andy. First thanks for providing this guide and helping me take the leap in to OSx.

The install for me went smoothly up until step 5. At this point I had successfully booted in to OSx, I'd not checked what was or wasn't working at this stage (network etc) but I had a working desktop screen showing in all its glory :D Didn't have the 10.6.7 file handy so I followed the instructions in step 5 to enable an internet connection in order to continue.

1- I ran the install package on the CD, no issues.

2- I then rebooted, the Andyboot cd kicked in and I selected my OSx install (windows 7 on another disk)

OSx started as normal, Apple logo, spinning wait graphic, then a brief blue screen followed by the mouse appearing top right but then instead of completing the OS load as per before the installer package, the mouse appeared on a white/grey screen. If I click the screen I get a few black random blocks. Clicking on the screen again results in the black blocks moving position..

Not sure now how to get back to working graphics in order to install the 10.6.7 update.

Anyone else experiencing this? I guess it was something installed in the package from the cd in order to get the internet connection up.

Board - Asus P8P67 Pro

4GB (for now) of G.Skill RipJawsX RAM

Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5770

This is my first time with OS X so it's all new to me.... treat me gently!

#! /bin/bash
cd /usr/libexec
sudo ./plistbuddy -c "delete :IOKitPersonalities:HDA\ Platform\ Resource:Layouts" /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAPlatformDriver.kext/Contents/Info.plist
sudo ./plistbuddy -c "delete :IOKitPersonalities:HDA\ Platform\ Resource:PathMaps" /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAPlatformDriver.kext/Contents/Info.plist 
sudo ./plistbuddy -c "delete :IOKitPersonalities:HDA\ Hardware\ Config\ Resource:HDAConfigDefault" /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext/Contents/Info.plist

DHP, the AppleHDA kext I have from the update doesn't have the AppleHDAPlatformDriver.kext plugin, maybe that's why it's not working? I'll have to take it from a real MBP I suspect

My resolution is stuck at 1024x768 because my video card isn't being read right. Im using Andyboot on my P8P67 PRO and i7 2600k with an evga 9500 GT. Does anyone know if just replacing this nVidia card with an ATI Radeon one such as http://www.bestbuy.com/site/XFX+-+ATI+Rade...p;cp=1&lp=1 fix my resolution problem?

Will this work right out of the box?

I wouldn't bother wasting money with that card especially when you can get a better card for less money. http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Vapor-X-Dis...mp;sr=8-1-spell This is what i'm using and my hackintosh is running great and after the $20 rebate it comes out $10 cheaper than the 5570 you were looking at.

You may have to do a fresh install unless you know how to get rid of the remaining traces of nvidia kexts (i believe). However, unless you already have tons of programs and data installed on your hackintosh, that shouldn't be much of a problem.

My set up involves the P8P67 PRO, i7 2600k and Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X and mine is running silky smooth (with the exception of sleep and bluetooth of course)

I wouldn't bother wasting money with that card especially when you can get a better card for less money. http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Vapor-X-Dis...mp;sr=8-1-spell This is what i'm using and my hackintosh is running great and after the $20 rebate it comes out $10 cheaper than the 5570 you were looking at.

You may have to do a fresh install unless you know how to get rid of the remaining traces of nvidia kexts (i believe). However, unless you already have tons of programs and data installed on your hackintosh, that shouldn't be much of a problem.

My set up involves the P8P67 PRO, i7 2600k and Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X and mine is running silky smooth (with the exception of sleep and bluetooth of course)

Oh awesome, thx! Did you use andyboot? Did it work right out of the box or did you have to do anything extra? Is your display preferences giving you the option to change resolutions?

My resolution is stuck at 1024x768 because my video card isn't being read right. Im using Andyboot on my P8P67 PRO and i7 2600k with an evga 9500 GT. Does anyone know if just replacing this nVidia card with an ATI Radeon one such as http://www.bestbuy.com/site/XFX+-+ATI+Rade...p;cp=1&lp=1 fix my resolution problem?

Did you try creating a gfx string in the apple.com.boot.plist file? Worked for me. Check my previous post.

Oh awesome, thx! Did you use andyboot? Did it work right out of the box or did you have to do anything extra? Is your display preferences giving you the option to change resolutions?

I did use andy's boot cd and it worked right out of the box, i didn't do anything special, just followed the guide (though i wish i would've run the install package right after the combo update as it likely would've prevented a couple hiccups). The preferences do allow me to adjust the resolution and right now i'm staring at a clear 1920 x 1080 picture with QE/CI (Quartz Extreme and Core Image) graphics acceleration. You can test to see if graphics acceleration is enabled/working by opening up the dashboard and adding a widget. if you see a cool ripple effect, graphics acceleration is enabled and working. if there is no ripple, it's not and you will have to first figure out if your card is supported and if so how to enable it. From the looks of it, your EVGA 9500GT should work you will likely need to try the first method (on this page) using chameleon and "GraphicsEnabler=Yes". Try it and let us know how it goes.

Unfortunately that's about as far as i can go in an attempt to help as i'm just a noob and don't own that card. Hope it works out.

- Brant

P.S. WTF is up with these IPS Driver Errors!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I have that exact card and I had to flash a new rom onto the graphics card in order for it to work. here's how you get it to work: (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1136504)

DHP, the AppleHDA kext I have from the update doesn't have the AppleHDAPlatformDriver.kext plugin, maybe that's why it's not working? I'll have to take it from a real MBP I suspect

The early MBP 2011 update is indeed incomplete. It's a so called incremental update and only includes the files that will be replaced (or added) by the installation process. We however used AppleHDA.kext from the OS X 10.6.7 combo update because that one works (in combination with the Info.plist for FakeSMC.kext).

P.S. WTF is up with these IPS Driver Errors!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

It's called backups. Seriously. I have seen so many of them that I don't bother to visit this forum between 5-7AM which is when I was trying to make my posts here.

We inject layout-id 0x037c (892) for this with help of EFI device-properties, but you could add a _DSM method in your DSDT to do the same, be it a lot slower. We also clean up the Info.plists to speed up the boot process, thanks to dgsga, like so (a neat little script):

#! /bin/bash
cd /usr/libexec

And we bin-patch AppleHDA with:

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x62\x02\xec\x10|\x92\x08\xec\x10|g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

You need AppleAHCIPort.kext version 2.1.6 for this

I hope this helps to solve the last few issues you have with your setup.

Hi DutchHockeyPro,

Thanks for replying, using your other post on this forum and your lastest DSDT and SSDT-1 & 2 I have got my machine working without anything except FakeSMC. I have added the huron.plist to FakeSMC and have DropSSDT=No in boot.plist (should it be Yes?).

All this on a Machine running 10.6.3, updated to 10.6.7 with AnVal 5.1.4 bootloader originally installed from Andy's boot CD. I have the 3 kexts from a MacBook Pro 8,2 but my SATA ports still shows Unknown AHCI etc (AppleAHCIPort.kext version 2.1.6 is loaded according to system profiler).

Have I missed something?, what you said above I am struggling understanding as I am new to the Hackintosh scene.

From what I understand now I don't need NullCPUPowermanagement anymore, if I have it removed and your DSDT removed at the same time the machine hangs at boot time so I know your DSDT is loaded.

On a side note because your other post was technically impressive (though baffling I have to admint) I wanted to use RevoBoot so I used RevoBuilder to build RevoBoot but then could not figure out what I am supposed to do with it (no idea how to install it), I read something by Master Cheif about Revolution and it seems it's intended to be flashed into the BIOS, does this still count for RevoBoot, is that how you boot your own P8P67-M-Pro?. If my understanding is correct having a Mac EFI bootloader flashed into the PC's BIOS is technically very slick and a very impressive piece of work.

Thanks for your guideance.

Hi Andy,

I have installed my system using your boot CD and your instructions with no problems. Apart from my graphics card, which is a msi ATI 6850. I have reinstalled 3 times now I have used your ATI fix following all the instructions 3 times. I have edited the boot.plist to include GraphicsEnabler=Yes and AtiConfig=Duckweed. But I still ATI Radeon HD NI40 in the graphics properties, I do get the right ID 0x6379 for my card but I'am now totally stumped and would appreciate any ideas, no matter how remote a possibility it may be, as I would like to load steam games.

My System is

P8P67 Pro

16 Gig Ram

MSI ATI 6850 Graphics

Yours Hoping Terry.

Hi Andy,

I have installed my system using your boot CD and your instructions with no problems. Apart from my graphics card, which is a msi ATI 6850. I have reinstalled 3 times now I have used your ATI fix following all the instructions 3 times. I have edited the boot.plist to include GraphicsEnabler=Yes and AtiConfig=Duckweed. But I still ATI Radeon HD NI40 in the graphics properties, I do get the right ID 0x6379 for my card but I'am now totally stumped and would appreciate any ideas, no matter how remote a possibility it may be, as I would like to load steam games.

My System is

P8P67 Pro

16 Gig Ram

MSI ATI 6850 Graphics

Yours Hoping Terry.

If System Profiler is showing anything other than AMD HD6850 as the graphics card name then it's not using the graphics enabler or has a problem with it. Can you boot using the boot cd and specify graphicsenabler=y and check what system profiler shows or perhaps boot with GraphicsEnabler=y AtiConfig=Duckweed Wait=Yes -v and make a note of the onscreen messages regading graphics card, id's and framebuffer?

I'm having a kernel panic when copying a 6gb .dmg to a HFS formatted USB key, copying from a 1tb Firewire HDD formatted in compressed NTFS, Tuxera NTFS V2010.10. Each time the KP happened I was using Firefox as well, in total the KP happened about 5 times and happened about 30% of copying the file. I have stopped the machine from panicking by removing the DSDT, SSDT-1 and SSDT-1. I've successfully copied the .dmg 6 times with no problem.

I tried to put NullCPUPowerManagement back in and rebuilt Mkext cache but it did not stop the panic.

No idea why the DSDT is maybe causing this. Can somebody else using the DSDT please check they can copy large files.

Andy,

Why do you say that?

Maybe the retail nvidia drivers for my gtx285 can be fooled into running somehow. I tried to run the installer and it err'd out saying incompatible hardware. Maybe changing the hardware profile would help because the release notes are very specific on which macs they work on..

Thanks.

It's got to be worth a try - you can edit your smbios.plist or maybe just try manually extracting the files from the nvidia package and installing them old school sytlee.

Most people suffer enough stress getting one card to work so 3 is going to be pretty impressive! Let us know how you get on please!

Andy,

I'm not using on board audio, instead I'm using BOSE Companion 5 USB audio system (though I get a buzz from them sometimes which goes if I put the volume up or down a notch in SL). Also using an Hercules Rmx USB DJ console which works fine.

I've not had any KP's from the machine which has run more or less 24/7 since I built it a week ago, I went to DSDT about 3 days ago and have been playing since then as of today (18 hours ago I've only run with FakeSMC). I am not sure on the purpose of the JMircon kexts from what I read (On MacMans blog or maybe TonyMac) they only make the system profiler say the SATA ports name instead of unknown. Seeing as the chipset is Intel why are the called JMicron kexts - apologies if that's a dumb question? EDIT - from what I can tell the uATX P67 board P8P67-M-Pro does not have any JMicron controller.

The machine will not boot if the DSDT is removed along with NullCPUPowerManagment. With DSDT it boots fine.

Extensions Mkext cache has been rebuilt after every change using pfix 3.1 & Kext Wizard.

On side note (I know you crossfire ATI) I had a problem with a KP on the initial boot after trying to get QE/CI working, I installed the Cuda drivers from TonyMac and GraphicsEnabler=Yes, PCIroot=1, this gave me the KP, when I removed the 9800GT I had in for PhysX (under Win 7) the KP went, any idea how to fix this?

Ahh gotcha - my apologies for some reason I assumed you were using the p8p67 pro - assumption once again turns out to be the mother of all f'ups lol.

Sounds like you have a pretty nice clean setup now.

I can't help regarding the 9800GT (I don't have one to test with) but it sounds almost certainly like a fubar with the graphicsenabler - it's probably trying to do something incredibly dumb like inject the ati framebuffer for both cards even though one is an Nvidia card.

Hi Andy. First thanks for providing this guide and helping me take the leap in to OSx.

The install for me went smoothly up until step 5. At this point I had successfully booted in to OSx, I'd not checked what was or wasn't working at this stage (network etc) but I had a working desktop screen showing in all its glory :) Didn't have the 10.6.7 file handy so I followed the instructions in step 5 to enable an internet connection in order to continue.

1- I ran the install package on the CD, no issues.

2- I then rebooted, the Andyboot cd kicked in and I selected my OSx install (windows 7 on another disk)

OSx started as normal, Apple logo, spinning wait graphic, then a brief blue screen followed by the mouse appearing top right but then instead of completing the OS load as per before the installer package, the mouse appeared on a white/grey screen. If I click the screen I get a few black random blocks. Clicking on the screen again results in the black blocks moving position..

Not sure now how to get back to working graphics in order to install the 10.6.7 update.

Anyone else experiencing this? I guess it was something installed in the package from the cd in order to get the internet connection up.

Board - Asus P8P67 Pro

4GB (for now) of G.Skill RipJawsX RAM

Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5770

This is my first time with OS X so it's all new to me.... treat me gently!

Try booting from the cd again but select GraphicsEnabler=n and if that doesn't work try again with GraphicsEnabler=Y AtiConfig=Hoolock

If neither work try GraphicsEnabler=n -x and assuming that works try to reinstall the package

It's called backups. Seriously. I have seen so many of them that I don't bother to visit this forum between 5-7AM which is when I was trying to make my posts here.

Ditto - IPS errors are annoying, even a friendly 'please try later maintenance in progress' message would be better.

Thats an ATI 5770. I have an EVGA 9500 GT. Will the method you linked still work with mine?

Woooooaaaaah!!! Do NOT try flashing an ATi rom onto an Nvidia card - even if by some miracle you suceed you will have just turned your graphics card into a nice piece of totally useless modern art lol

Hi DutchHockeyPro,

Thanks for replying, using your other post on this forum and your lastest DSDT and SSDT-1 & 2 I have got my machine working without anything except FakeSMC. I have added the huron.plist to FakeSMC and have DropSSDT=No in boot.plist (should it be Yes?).

Hi brams,

Yup. That should be a yes.

All this on a Machine running 10.6.3, updated to 10.6.7 with AnVal 5.1.4 bootloader originally installed from Andy's boot CD. I have the 3 kexts from a MacBook Pro 8,2 but my SATA ports still shows Unknown AHCI etc (AppleAHCIPort.kext version 2.1.6 is loaded according to system profiler).

Have I missed something?, what you said above I am struggling understanding as I am new to the Hackintosh scene.

Replace your: /System/Library/SystemProfiler/SPSerialATAReporter.spreporter

with version 2.0.2 from Lion. That should do it.

From what I understand now I don't need NullCPUPowermanagement anymore, if I have it removed and your DSDT removed at the same time the machine hangs at boot time so I know your DSDT is loaded.

No. You still need NullCPUPowerManagement.kext At least until someone solved it. Wait for OS X 10.6.8

On a side note because your other post was technically impressive (though baffling I have to admint) I wanted to use RevoBoot so I used RevoBuilder to build RevoBoot but then could not figure out what I am supposed to do with it (no idea how to install it), I read something by Master Chief about Revolution and it seems it's intended to be flashed into the BIOS, does this still count for RevoBoot, is that how you boot your own P8P67-M-Pro?. If my understanding is correct having a Mac EFI bootloader flashed into the PC's BIOS is technically very slick and a very impressive piece of work.

And no. RevoBoot can't be flashed into a BIOS. Way too complicated. We also want to focus on other areas these days, like real EFI support. Which is much more interesting. And please, stick to RevoBuilder when you don't know what to do. Hob over to github and fire away anything that you want to know about it. I'm sure that the guys will happily assist you... after the easter break :)

Hey Andy! aka, AndyStubbs@TonyMac! I'm baaaaaack! Thanks again for the CD Package I finally have my system working with a different (and frankly...a way better video card). It turns out that the culprit causing all my problems was my GTX 460 and I just sold it, then bought a new GTX 470 (cause of its full adobe support and lack of known "fermi freeze"), similar to Macman's customac pro build.... and everything worked just fine. :)

I had to run Tony Macs Nvidia package and his NV enabler from [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], then ran your package again to make everything boot properly. Then I added <key>GraphicsEnabler</key> <string>yes</string> to my Boot.plist and it's all good now. I gave you the credit in my original TonyMac posting.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=...4431eeb82d32b20

I just have to work on bluetooth and sleep to work properly.

Other that that, THANKS AGAIN! :thumbsup_anim:

Here are my specs...

ASUS P8P67 Pro

Sandy Bridge i5 2500K OC'd to 4.5

Zalman NPS Max 9900

2-1 TB Samsung Spinpoints @ RAID 0 for WIndows 7

1-500 GB Seagate Barracuda for OSX

1-500 GB Seagate Barracuda as a shared drive

16GB 4x4 Gskill @1600

Antec Quattro 850

Antec 900 Case

Pioneer DVD Drive

LG Bluray Drive

Hey Andy! aka, AndyStubbs@TonyMac! I'm baaaaaack! Thanks again for the CD Package I finally have my system working with a different (and frankly...a way better video card). It turns out that the culprit causing all my problems was my GTX 460 and I just sold it, then bought a new GTX 470 (cause of its full adobe support and lack of known "fermi freeze"), similar to Macman's customac pro build.... and everything worked just fine. :D

I had to run Tony Macs Nvidia package and his NV enabler from [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], then ran your package again to make everything boot properly. Then I added <key>GraphicsEnabler</key> <string>yes</string> to my Boot.plist and it's all good now. I gave you the credit in my original TonyMac posting.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=...4431eeb82d32b20

I just have to work on bluetooth and sleep to work properly.

Other that that, THANKS AGAIN! :D

Here are my specs...

ASUS P8P67 Pro

Sandy Bridge i5 2500K OC'd to 4.5

Zalman NPS Max 9900

2-1 TB Samsung Spinpoints @ RAID 0 for WIndows 7

1-500 GB Seagate Barracuda for OSX

1-500 GB Seagate Barracuda as a shared drive

16GB 4x4 Gskill @1600

Antec Quattro 850

Antec 900 Case

Pioneer DVD Drive

LG Bluray Drive

Congrats on getting it all working (the 470 is a better card than the 460 anyway but it's always nice to be able to justify an upgrade <g>).

I have some bad news on the bluetooth front. From what I can tell the windows drivers actually install the firmware to the Atheros bluetooth chipset which is why bluetooth will work in snow leopard if you boot windows first and then reboot into snow leopard. From a cold boot it doesn't work because the bluetooth dongle has no firmware loaded ;)

It's got to be worth a try - you can edit your smbios.plist or maybe just try manually extracting the files from the nvidia package and installing them old school sytlee.

Most people suffer enough stress getting one card to work so 3 is going to be pretty impressive! Let us know how you get on please!

Andy,

I got all three video cards recognized and operational with dual screen setup. I followed aquamac's guide and created a gfx hex string for all three cards. The only problem is changing resolution will cause the screen to go all blue until the next reboot. But it was fairly easy. What you have to do is unplug each card one by one to find out what pciroot each one is on and then edit the in.plist property list file accordingly. Its all on Aquamac's guide. http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi?boa...&thread=569 . Then you make a hex string and copy that into the com.apple.boot.plist file. Piece of cake..

Side note: Bluetooth takes a reboot into a Windows environment to turn it on. Hopefully a new kext will be found. Also if sleep is to work correctly C-States need to be disabled along with SpeedStep. Theres a sandybridge sleepenabler.kext floating around the forums. Now to try to figure out how to get the Sata ich ports properly recognized. If anyone knows how please comment. Read you need a kext from Lion to make it work. If anyone has this file please share...

Thank you.

If System Profiler is showing anything other than AMD HD6850 as the graphics card name then it's not using the graphics enabler or has a problem with it. Can you boot using the boot cd and specify graphicsenabler=y and check what system profiler shows or perhaps boot with GraphicsEnabler=y AtiConfig=Duckweed Wait=Yes -v and make a note of the onscreen messages regading graphics card, id's and framebuffer?

Hi Andy,

Sorry for the slow reply but work stops fun. Anyway tried from the boot CD and when you use GraphicsEnabler=Yes the system just crashes (black screen no video). Thought this might be caused by the fact that the boot CD does not have the ATI fix you posted. So I booted with the commands you listed from the boot drive and this is what it shows regarding the graphics card.

Framebuffer @0xd0000000 MM10 @0xfe62000 I/O Port @0x0000e0000 Rom Adr @0xfe60000

AtiCard POSTed, Reading Vbios from LegacySpace

ATI Barts Amd Radeon HD 6850 series 1024mb (Elodea) [1002:6739] (subsys[1462:2441]::pciroot(0x0)/pci(0x1,0x0)/pci(0x0,0x0)

I assumed that Elodea was the framebuffer and changed my com.apple.boot.plist accordingly in my Extra folder and rebuilt permissions. But I was obviously wrong as the graphics info still shows HD N140.

Am I doing something wrong?. Any suggestions at all will be grately appreciated as Iam pulling my hair out (and I do not have that much to play with).

Yours hoping Terry.

Hi Andy,

Sorry for the slow reply but work stops fun. Anyway tried from the boot CD and when you use GraphicsEnabler=Yes the system just crashes (black screen no video). Thought this might be caused by the fact that the boot CD does not have the ATI fix you posted. So I booted with the commands you listed from the boot drive and this is what it shows regarding the graphics card.

Framebuffer @0xd0000000 MM10 @0xfe62000 I/O Port @0x0000e0000 Rom Adr @0xfe60000

AtiCard POSTed, Reading Vbios from LegacySpace

ATI Barts Amd Radeon HD 6850 series 1024mb (Elodea) [1002:6739] (subsys[1462:2441]::pciroot(0x0)/pci(0x1,0x0)/pci(0x0,0x0)

I assumed that Elodea was the framebuffer and changed my com.apple.boot.plist accordingly in my Extra folder and rebuilt permissions. But I was obviously wrong as the graphics info still shows HD N140.

Am I doing something wrong?. Any suggestions at all will be grately appreciated as Iam pulling my hair out (and I do not have that much to play with).

Yours hoping Terry.

Hi - sorry got another question for you..

Are you using a dvi->vga connector by any chance?