Asus P8P67 Pro install guide

Guest ^Andy^

663 posts in this topic

Hey Andy,

I downloaded your new boot cd, mounted it, and copied the ATI package to my drive.

After running and restarting it, I've lost my sound. Can't figure out how to get it back. Any ideas? I should mention I had originally installed OSX using your first iteration of the boot cd.

This is on a Pro Board yes? What sound kexts did you have installed previously?

None. I had only run your previous package before and that seemed to have done its magic with sound.

Forgot to mention this is indeed on a Pro board.

Ok have a look in Extra\Extensions and make sure ALC892HDA51B.kext is present

and then check that System\Library\Extensions contains AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler892.kext

If any of the above are missing then it won't work.

It was pretty odd thats for sure! I had started out with 10.6, combo update, your p8p67 pro package, bridgehelper, [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 3.4 (system utils, ElliotForceRTC ?, EvOreboot ?, FakeSMC, NullCPUPowerManage, USB 3.0, SB bootloader and theme), VoodooHDA 2.72 standalone installer, Sleepenabler Kext, Tonymac nVidia update, and a bluetooth kext. The '?' means not sure if I installed it or not but a good bet I did. I was playing around with DSDTs and installed them to the root and /Extra folder but made sure they were deleted. Anyhow I just ran the SB [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] bootloader 3.5 and had no problems booting. Could it be a compatibility issue with Tonymac's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] bootloader?

Anyhow all good now and was able to update to [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] SB bootloader ver 3.5 this time. Wish your update would allow to pick and choose what to install like [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] but thanks anyhow...

Dave.

You installed a ton of stuff that you didn't need to because pretty much all of that is already installed by the package! but as long as you have it working it doesn't matter.

Ok have a look in Extra\Extensions and make sure ALC892HDA51B.kext is present

and then check that System\Library\Extensions contains AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler892.kext

If any of the above are missing then it won't work.

You installed a ton of stuff that you didn't need to because pretty much all of that is already installed by the package! but as long as you have it working it doesn't matter.

OK I found a bug in the post install script of the packages so have just uploaded a corrected version of the boot disk.

Hey i was wondering if you could tell me if the ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 B3 Revision also works with this guide?

I read another forum about the ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 B3 Revision which sent me to this guide.

Would be much appreciated if you could take a look at it

Link here.

Ok I decided that was all far too complicated so now it's even simpler.

5 - Install 10.6.7 update combo (if you forgot to download it first no problem, just run the install package from the cd and reboot to get a working internet connection then go ahead and download it).

6 - Once the update is complete reboot again using the bootcd

7 - Open the bootcd, copy the installer package to your desktop and then run it (it's important to copy the installer to disk and not run it from the cd otherwise your sound will not work - this a bug in the postinstall script that I haven't been able to track down yet.

8 - Reboot without the bootcd.

Hi Andy. Second try, this time using the latest Andy Disk, thanks for updating the iso.

The install for me went smoothly up until step 6.

Mac OS X 10.6.3 installs and loads no problem, I mount the update combo 10.6.7. It runs through to completion and says I need to restart the machine, I click and it shutsdown ready to restart.

I remove the combo update dvd and put in the AndyBoot ready for restart. On the boot selector screen I choose the Mac Instance to boot in to my updated OS X.

Within about 2 seconds up comes the dark grey screen of doom with "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button until it turns off, then press the Power button again."

Board - Asus P8P67 Pro - ACHI mode

2 hard disks

- SATA6G_1 (Gray) = C300 (windows)

- SATA3G_3 (Blue) = WDC WD10EADS (Mac OS X)

4GB (for now) of G.Skill RipJawsX RAM

Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5770

Monitor - Samsung Syncmaster 226BW 1680x1050

This is my first time with OS X so it's all new to me.... treat me gently! Any ideas on where I can start to get to the bottom of this?

I have an additional network card in there so I'm going to pull that out.

I also have the windows disk in place so I'll remove that too and pray one of them does the trick.

Anything glaringly obvious that I'm doing wrong.... :)

Hi Andy. Second try, this time using the latest Andy Disk, thanks for updating the iso.

The install for me went smoothly up until step 6.

Mac OS X 10.6.3 installs and loads no problem, I mount the update combo 10.6.7. It runs through to completion and says I need to restart the machine, I click and it shutsdown ready to restart.

I remove the combo update dvd and put in the AndyBoot ready for restart. On the boot selector screen I choose the Mac Instance to boot in to my updated OS X.

Within about 2 seconds up comes the dark grey screen of doom with "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button until it turns off, then press the Power button again."

Board - Asus P8P67 Pro - ACHI mode

2 hard disks

- SATA6G_1 (Gray) = C300 (windows)

- SATA3G_3 (Blue) = WDC WD10EADS (Mac OS X)

4GB (for now) of G.Skill RipJawsX RAM

Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5770

Monitor - Samsung Syncmaster 226BW 1680x1050

This is my first time with OS X so it's all new to me.... treat me gently! Any ideas on where I can start to get to the bottom of this?

I have an additional network card in there so I'm going to pull that out.

I also have the windows disk in place so I'll remove that too and pray one of them does the trick.

Anything glaringly obvious that I'm doing wrong.... :)

I had the same problem. The way I got around this is to boot from "[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Legacy"( you can easily find a download for it ). It's like andy boot. After you boot from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], put andy boot back in and continue with the build.

Best of luck!

I had the same problem. The way I got around this is to boot from "[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Legacy"( you can easily find a download for it ). It's like andy boot. After you boot from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], put andy boot back in and continue with the build.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the response :)

I took the approach of ripping out hardware and disabling things until the OS booted correctly....

Turns out it's the Intel Gigabit Ethernet that seems to be preventing the OS X load.

With the onboard Ethernet disabled I booted/restarted OS X 10 times one after the other with no problem.

Renabled onboard Intel Gigabit ethernet and it consistently stops the load with the previous generic error (no specific errors shown behind the gray overlaid screen).

So I can now get it to boot but with no LAN enabled, everthing else is plugged back in and running with no issues....

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Cheers, Phil

Hey Andy,

I installed a working OSX using your boot cd method, which installed the ATI kexts for my Sapphire 5870 card. Everything seems to work great, except Geekbench seems to crash as does steam and a few other games.

GraphicsEnabler is set to no, and QE seems to be enabled (I get ripples when adding a widget to the dashboard and Cinebench and some games work) so its not like hardware acceleration is off. Interestingly enough Cinebench shows 1/2 the score it shows when I run it in windows with the same card.

How do I get steam/Geekbench to stop crashing? I see a lot of people here who seem to run it ok.

Any ideas? I'm stumped.

Thanks!

Hi,

I've been playing around with my rig and trying to get it to load the install dvd for kicks. Had problems getting the OSX install DVD to load no matter what I did (I could have unplugged my vid cards one by one but I was lazy). Got it working by installing the os from a mac onto an external hard drive but wanted a more direct clean approach. What I found out is that the install fails to load because it gets confused about the video. Meaning that it doesn't have the appropriate video driver or kext to initialize properly on my nVidia based 285GTX. Thats why the screen was constantly going black or reseting/rebooting the system soon after DrMos has arrived. Also if there was more than one monitor plugged in at best it will only work with one monitor and one video card or else it won't load up the installer... not sure if it would have worked even with one video card ...

but I found another way to prepare the install dvd...

You'll need another mac and your going to have to copy/Restore the OSX Install DVD onto a GUID prepared USB partition. Then your going to have to run Andy's latest v2 P8P67 Installer upon that USB key and ignore the error at the end. Then your going to have to follow Aquamac's gfx string guide and create a gfx hex string iand implant that into your com.apple.Boot.plist according the aquamac. Then reboot and go into your bios and select the usb key as the primary boot drive and reboot to that drive. After this you should have no problems running the installer in your monitors native resolution ...

The only thing is that Andy's bootloader was the only one that allowed this technique. All the others from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 3.5 including Chimera and Sandybridge loader wouldn't work. So I'm just wondering Andy is nvidia support weak with these boot loaders?

Thanks..

Bottom line question: What are the best BIOS settings (CPU/Memory) for the P8P67 B3 board and a i7 2600K processor?

Details: I'm having major stability issues. I have no problems installing 10.6.7 on the above hardware along with 16 GB memory and a ATI 5870 video card. System comes up, let's me install all my apps, and normally, this is where I'd turn the computer over into my daily-use machine. However, for some reason, this system just crashes and reboots any time something CPU intensive occurs. For example, running HandBrake to convert HD video to Apple TV. If I reboot and immediately run HandBrake, it will crash soon after starting. If I reboot and just let it sit in finder or have iTunes syncing up with the Apple TV and iPad, no issues. Forget about WoW--not going to happen!

I've reset the BIOS to the "optimized" settings (plus the usual turning on AHCI and support for virtualization). I've tried with SpeedStep both on and off. I've even turned the multiplied down from 46 to 35 with no improvement. System does run fine in Windows 7x64, however, which makes me think its not a faulty board/processor.

Only thing I can think of is that I'm missing a BIOS setting somewhere that either isn't supported or needs to be tweaked and my best guess is that its CPU-related. Just wondering if someone has run into this and where I should look next.

Hey Andy,

I installed a working OSX using your boot cd method, which installed the ATI kexts for my Sapphire 5870 card. Everything seems to work great, except Geekbench seems to crash as does steam and a few other games.

GraphicsEnabler is set to no, and QE seems to be enabled (I get ripples when adding a widget to the dashboard and Cinebench and some games work) so its not like hardware acceleration is off. Interestingly enough Cinebench shows 1/2 the score it shows when I run it in windows with the same card.

How do I get steam/Geekbench to stop crashing? I see a lot of people here who seem to run it ok.

Any ideas? I'm stumped.

Thanks!

You need to specify a framebuffer if you want to avoid the geekbench and dvd player crashes. You can do this by setting GraphicsEnabler to yes.

Hi ^Andy^ :)

Your Boot CD works like a charm with my P8P67-M PRO system (see signature).

Thanks man

You are more than welcome!

If anybody is interested by the way I have a new build of chameleon available here http://www.mediafire.com/?y3roclftu494xwb that also works with lion with the same ATi and sandybridge support as contained on the boot disk.

Tested on my systems and happily boots either Snow Leopard or latest Lion build.

The zip file contains all of the source code along with the compiled binaries in the sym/i386 folder (just in case you don't want to compile it yourself).

If you don't know what to do with the download then please don't even attempt it - I can't / won't help you (sorry guys but I have to a draw a line somewhere).

Hi Andy,

I still cannot get my ATI 6850 graphics card to run fully have tried reinstalling with your latest boot cd and the latest [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 3.5.2 with Chimera 1.1 have tried all framebuffers, tried with and without graphics enabler, even tried the beta ati kexts on kexts.com, but cannot get my card to work with geekbench, always shows ATI Radeon HD NI4.

So I give up, can you tell me the exact make and model of your graphics card, as if I buy the exact same one it should solve my problem once and for all.

Yours with thanks Terry.

You are more than welcome!

If anybody is interested by the way I have a new build of chameleon available here http://www.mediafire.com/?y3roclftu494xwb that also works with lion with the same ATi and sandybridge support as contained on the boot disk.

Tested on my systems and happily boots either Snow Leopard or latest Lion build.

The zip file contains all of the source code along with the compiled binaries in the sym/i386 folder (just in case you don't want to compile it yourself).

If you don't know what to do with the download then please don't even attempt it - I can't / won't help you (sorry guys but I have to a draw a line somewhere).

Test it.

Works on my Snow Leopard installation (don't have Lion to test) but boot time is slower than using Anval or RevoBoot.

Hi Andy,

I still cannot get my ATI 6850 graphics card to run fully have tried reinstalling with your latest boot cd and the latest [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 3.5.2 with Chimera 1.1 have tried all framebuffers, tried with and without graphics enabler, even tried the beta ati kexts on kexts.com, but cannot get my card to work with geekbench, always shows ATI Radeon HD NI4.

So I give up, can you tell me the exact make and model of your graphics card, as if I buy the exact same one it should solve my problem once and for all.

Yours with thanks Terry.

Terry, I have 2 different 6870's one is a Sapphire branded card and the other is an OEM card. Both cards have been flashed using a slightly overclocked XFX bios but basically any reference 6870 card should work. I'm not sure that I would go out and buy one though if I were you because your 6850 should work too so something else may be wrong which replacing the card with a 6870 may not even fix.

I'm pretty much out of ideas, anybody with a 6850 got any ideas to help Terry out?

GUYS i am stuck with kernal Panic as soon as i load OSX DVD and run the OSX installer. i immediately get the ACPI KP. i know must be simple and it probably has something to do with my bios settings. please please help...

PS: my motherboard is P8H67. its 2500K processor and using built in graphics (No dedicated graphics card)

nice!! the new boot loader works here too.

my machine wouldn't be nearly as awesome without the binaries you keep posting.. so thanks for sharing them.

if you are stuck on how to install the bootloader off andy's zip, check out the first post in the AnVAL (ACPI Loader) thread.

update: so far I everything I'm aware of works on lion :D. had to install the realtek Kext for the P8P67