This is my first "guide" on how to get the following working on your Acer Aspire 5740G:
- ATI Mobility Radeon 5650 (QE/CI and res on laptop screen)
- Keyboard and trackpad (incl tapping)
- Trackpad 2-finger (or more) scrolling
- Laptop battery icon
64 bit mode(working)
- VGA output
- HDMI output
- SPDIF output
- Mic input
Please bear with me, since I don't know if all the steps I'm about to describe are necessary, but it's what worked for me. If anyone knows of an easier way to get things to work on this laptop, please share.
Also: why I mentioned "guide" (using quotation marks), is because this isn't as much a guide as it is a collection of referrals to other guides, so credit goes out to the people who made those.
Another sidenote: I extracted my EDID beforehand in Windows using the guide mentioned in step 4.2.
First off: for those who have the 8GB version of this laptop like I do, I removed 1 of the RAM modules (which is 4GB) to get this to install.
I didn't have to make changes in my BIOS, just had to make sure AHCI was enabled instead of IDE.
4. INSTALLING OSX
- I followed 'Phase One: Partitioning & Formatting' and 'Phase Two: Installing Snow Leopard', from step 1 through 12 of this guide
- after this I was able to boot into the partition I created for OSX using the ##### Supported CD and then, I followed this guide to inject my EDID (which I obtained beforehand, in Windows)
- right after that (without rebooting) I installed ##### 3.3 (selecting #####, Voodoo PS/2 Controller and Chameleon RC5 ATI experimental bootloader)
- the next step for me was following this guide from step 4 through 6 (!), I don't remember if I had to use the ##### CD again to boot into my OSX partition before that though
- after step 6 I followed atlee's directions (from the same topic), which are:
'First time you boot, boot using GraphicsEnabler=No, Install a program called SwitchresX which you can set screen res 1366x768 for your laptop screen, save it. Reboot using GraphicsEnabler=Yes and AtiConfig=Eulemur, Now you will have QE/CI, Full resolution!'
- finally I used this guide (post #24) using Kexthelper to get sound working correctly