Mobility Radeon HD 4650:Full Resolution with QE & CI working on Internal LVDS screen

mucha

696 posts in this topic

Well actually I will restore that partition with CCC then repair the disk and reinstall 10.6.8 update.

Just Io80211Family.kext for wifi I think and voodooHDA, and voodoops2. Then I was using RadeonHD for native resolution but I took that one off when I was trying for QE/CI.

Oh and voodooBattery.kext

No on the DSDT

I have the Phoenix A14 bios theirs not much to change in their. But I have been able to install OSX a couple of different times with no problems. Well with the retail disk anyway. I never could get it installed any other way.

Better stay on 10.6.7 & try get your GPU to work. If you upgrade to 10.6.8 or Lion, new problem appeared & you need to solved it too. If you able to get GPU to work in 10.6.7 then it is likely you can get GPU to work in 10.6.8 & Lion.

If kexts failed to load, you need to correct the file permission, like this:-

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ATIFramebuffer.kext
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ATIFramebuffer.kext

Anyway, with 10.6.8 or Lion, try boot with flags arrange like this:-

GraphicsEnabler=Yes -v npci=0x2000

If you get no video output, boot with this:-

GraphicsEnabler=No -v npci=0x2000

I agree with kizwan, stay on 10.6.7!

I did upgrade from there to lion, was a little bit tricky but worked. So I suggest to manage to get GPU working on 10.6.7 just to feel a little bit sure both you and your machine could properly do it.

the system is booting without 4600controller and atiframebuffer: I agree should be a permission issue. Try repairing as suggested by me and kizwan and reboot. Better repair everything and then refresh kext cache.

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions 

Be sure you modded in the right way the framebuffer: replacing (not adding) only the right values.

I repaired permissions with disk utility, I also fixed them your way cOke. I used the find and replace feature in HexEditor to replace the correct binary. After I saved it I went back into the file to make sure the changes were made and it appears so. I did replace the entire lines. Not just the areas that needed it, that should be ok though right.

No luck rearrangeing boot loaders or with GraphicsEnabler=NO. I feel like I was getting close to QE/CI but couldn't figure out why those kexts wouldn't load. I repaired the permissions just like you guys told me to.

I'm pretty sure this doesn't matter but my dell didn't come with this graphics card. I bought the correct motherboard and heatsink and swapped them out. I originaly had intel graphics.

Now when I do the commans above after the first one it asks for password, I enter it and it runs the command. Then I run the second one just fine. When I run the last one it tells me permission denied so I then have to sudo -s first is this normal? I have also done sudo -s first then the commands.

(...) I used the find and replace feature in HexEditor to replace the correct binary.(...)

(...) I did replace the entire lines. Not just the areas that needed it, that should be ok though right. (...)

I didn't clearly understand what you did search for and what you did replace...

How do you know the right content to search?

With the editor, once you find the right 64bit offset, you should highlight the personalities and just paste the new ones(just 32 numbers without spaces e.g. 02000000400000000901000002010001) over them. (32 numbers or 16 couples or 4 x 4 couples since in 0xED you see a column mark every 4 couple...)

And again for the very next 32.

Same thing for 32bit offset.

Nothing else.

Try to understand if also ati4600controller loads.

And to be sure the kext cache is refreshed boot with -f

I think everything else is ok.

@cOke : I used HexEdit and searched for the personality I needed to replace (the one from pereine, i may have misspelled that)and then replaced it with the one you provided. Did this on both instances. Maybe I did it wrong. As I said before when I search for the offset on OxED it doesn't find it. Please see my posts from yesterday. Sorry, I'm doing this on my phone so I can quote myself . Thank you

Let me ask it like this. If I search for the offsets that you provided in 0xED it should find that exact offset correct.

I didn't clearly understand what you did search for and what you did replace...

How do you know the right content to search?

With the editor, once you find the right 64bit offset, you should highlight the personalities and just paste the new ones(just 32 numbers without spaces e.g. 02000000400000000901000002010001) over them. (32 numbers or 16 couples or 4 x 4 couples since in 0xED you see a column mark every 4 couple...)

And again for the very next 32.

Same thing for 32bit offset.

Nothing else.

Try to understand if also ati4600controller loads.

And to be sure the kext cache is refreshed boot with -f

I think everything else is ok.

Yes the ATI4600controller.kext is loading. But it still,won't load the Framebuffer kext. I checked my work from yesterday against what you and Lordadmiral Drake said to do and I did it correctly. I will post pics of the edited personalities in OxED.

Here is what is does when it hangs.

post-936400-0-33970800-1329789671_thumb.jpg

Here they are in OxED.

post-936400-0-01226900-1329789735_thumb.jpg

post-936400-0-62864200-1329789752_thumb.jpg

They look right to me, but as everyone can tell i'm a total noob. I did repair everything like you guys told me to and tried booting with -f. Now it just wants to hang at the apple logo. oh i am booting GraphicsEnabler=YES and -f.

Ok anyway it seems that we're close to the solution.

from the verbose pic I understand either that the framebuffer is corrupt or that the system didn't find it... Too many error messages.

But I guess that when the display hangs at the apple logo, osx is loaded anyway. Try to change the sound volume or to open the cd tray or to shut down to verify.

Are your modified ati kext all inside System/library/extensions and only there? Check if you have some of them in extra/extensions, in this case you should remove them...

Ok, then remove atiframebuffer from S/L/E and start again from a clean 10.6.7's one.

You should use the original ATIFramebuffer.kext. Just need to patched the original ATIFramebuffer.kext.

Well i used the one in crazybirdys original post but i will get the one from mucha and try again.

Ok anyway it seems that we're close to the solution.

from the verbose pic I understand either that the framebuffer is corrupt or that the system didn't find it... Too many error messages.

But I guess that when the display hangs at the apple logo, osx is loaded anyway. Try to change the sound volume or to open the cd tray or to shut down to verify.

Are your modified ati kext all inside System/library/extensions and only there? Check if you have some of them in extra/extensions, in this case you should remove them...

Ok, then remove atiframebuffer from S/L/E and start again from a clean 10.6.7's one.

As far as i can tell everything else is loaded. There are no ATI kext in Extra folder, i will start with a clean kext. as far as the ATI kexts i can see that ATIRadeonx2000.kext, ATI4600controller and the ATISupport are all loaded.

Same thing, still hangs.

The only kext in Extra/Extensions is AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext. I'm not sure why that is there because I already have one in S/L/E. I have two kexts in my System/Extra folder they are Extensions.bak.mkext and Extensions.mkext. I'm not sure what to try next. Is there a way for me to test the ATIFramebuffer.kext without actually trying to load it at boot?

Did you try to understand if the system is loaded when display hangs? You can also easily try in verbose mode -v and see if it returns something when you press volume keys or power button....

Once you are sure there's not a KP, you should try to understand why specific kext isn't loaded.

Maybe also that the extension cache extensions.mkext is not up-to-date, try also moving it elsewhere and see what happens...

Should it return something right away in verbose? When I press volume or power button while it is booting it doesn't seem to bring up the kexts. What should I be looking for? I tried moving Extensions.mkext to root folder and results are the same

The volume buttons still make a noise when it hangs during -v. But the power button doesn't do anything unless I hold it down then it reboots like its supposed to.

Is there a place where these -v boot records are being stored?

Ok, if you ear the volume "pop" when display hangs, it means the system is correctly up and running.

Then if you press the power button and then return, it should be able to shut down without forcing.

Ok, now boot with graphicsenabler = no, you should be able to get desktop in vesa 1024x768 stretched.

download & unzip the file attached here, place it wherever you want and set the system to open up it at startup (system preferences > accounts > login items > drop the file in the list).

Set back graphicsenabler yes and reboot -f.

Now when the system is up a new kextstat.txt is created on your home directory, it contains the trace of all the kext loaded with gE=yes.

Shut down and reboot in safe mode (-x GraphicsEnabler=No) to avoid the file kexstat.txt to be overwritten.

Copy and place the txt in a safe place to be able to analyze what's inside and eventually post it here..

Anyway I have another question: are you sure about the bootloader? which one were you using before replacing the peregrine boot file I provided?

ks.zip

No it does not pop when it hangs nor can I hit power then return and it shut down. I have to force it. Oh and since I was having trouble I did try a different boot loader yesterday it was chameleon 2 RC4 then replaced the boot file with the one you provided. Of course still the same.

@cOke: I find it odd that for some reason with that boot file I have to have it in the root not extra. Seems like every other boot file I've used I was able to put it in either and it worked fine. Probably doesn't mean anything just thought I'd add that.