Disk Insertion Error

Matej

58 posts in this topic

Interesting research job.

I've been using the orange port for my main HDD for some time now and I didn't notice any problems with it so I think it's just as safa as any other.

Xbench seems fine too:

Results 72.79

System Info

Xbench Version 1.3

System Version 10.4.7 (8J2135)

Physical RAM 2048 MB

Model ADP2,1

Drive Type External Disk 0

Disk Test 72.79

Sequential 96.46

Uncached Write 116.73 71.67 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 111.67 63.18 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 63.27 18.52 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 122.83 61.73 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 58.45

Uncached Write 22.40 2.37 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 174.38 55.83 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 94.71 0.67 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 133.34 24.74 MB/sec [256K blocks]

I haven't tested the other ports though.

I wonder what would happen with those numbers if I would got another drive of the same size and put it in the second orange port.

Has anyone perhaps tested the external e-sata port? I'm thinking of getting an external drive and it would be a nice alternative to USB/firewire.

Has anyone perhaps tested the external e-sata port? I'm thinking of getting an external drive and it would be a nice alternative to USB/firewire.

I have not tried it. On page 2-34 of my p5w-dh manual, it indicates that the external device is controlled by the JMicron controller, so I guess it probably won't work with macosx since it has been said that the JMicron controller does not work with macosx. It would be good to hear from someone who has actually tried it though.

i think the error is just that you have NTFS partition somewhere

just some idea

I have an ntfs partition and macosx mounts it automatically as read only (as far as I know macosx does not have write support to ntfs filesystem). So this is not related.

is your NTFS drive automount?

how do u do that?

I have 2 drives

1 for osx and 1 for xp

but when i boot up my osx

i always get this error "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer."

i can just click eject, but u know :P

i want my osx box to be "perfect"

can someone please help me fix this too please!!

thank you

is your NTFS drive automount?

how do u do that?

I have 2 drives

1 for osx and 1 for xp

but when i boot up my osx

i always get this error "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer."

i can just click eject, but u know :)

i want my osx box to be "perfect"

can someone please help me fix this too please!!

thank you

The ntfs drive does automount. It mounts it as a volume (disk) just like my hfs+ disks except that I can only read files on it and not change anything. The volume is called "Untitled". I don't know how I did that. Macosx just does it for me. It mounts it automatically (with no errors). If I get info on the windows disk, it says the Format is: Windows NT Filesystem (I formated it as ntfs) and in the "Ownership and Permissions:" section it says "You can only read" and I can not change this.

Which interface do you have your XP disk plugged into? Maybe it is on an interface controlled by the jmicron controller. The jmicron controller is not usable by macosx yet so if you are using this them macosx will not be able to see it. Can you try to open "Disk Utility" in macosx and see what partitions and disks you can see?

As for " i always get this error "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer."" if you read the whole of this thread, it is mentioned that that error is caused by the ez_backup function of the motherboard. I assume this is the same in your case, but I could be wrong. If it is called something like "Config Disk" then it is the same issue. We don't really know why it does that, but in any case, Matej has posted a fix in post #17 on how to get rid of the error:

"Matej: I got rid of it!

Simply connect your sata disk to the orange EZ-Backup Serial ATA connectors instead of the red Intel CH7R Serial ATA connector (see your user guide how do do this). Boot into bios and check that your boot disk is the right one (look for something like External Disk 0).

I also did a clean install sice I messed up my system before while trying to fix this with a software method but I think you shoud be ok without any further modifications."

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=173693

Regards,

Fabcat

I got rid of it!

Simply connect your sata disk to the orange EZ-Backup Serial ATA connectors instead of the red Intel CH7R Serial ATA connector (see your user guide how do do this). Boot into bios and check that your boot disk is the right one (look for something like External Disk 0).

I also did a clean install sice I messed up my system before while trying to fix this with a software method but I think you shoud be ok without any further modifications.

Mm is that a nice solution ?

I think the ICH7R is much faster than the EZ-Backup SATA ports which are connected to the J-Micron controller...

• 3 weeks later...

Matej,

Just realised I've have exactly the same spec machine as you! (except graphics) - I'd be interested in learning what motherboard devices you've got up and running successfully...

There's a thread somewhere about getting the audio on the asus dh deluxe to work, have you tried it?

No, it's not a nice solution but sadly I don't know a better one. I don't know if there are any real speed issues with the EZ-Backup ports.

I have managed to get rid of the annoying Disk Insertion error on my P5W DH Deluxe without using EZ-Backup port. I have a single Sata II 320 gb drive still hooked to the Red Primary Master Sata port and it boots fine now, no error message, no Config Disk. I can even go to Disk Utility and the Config Disk no longer shows up! I changed some settings in BIOS to do this. I can't remember off hand what they were, but I can check if there is interest. I XBenched before and after BIOS changes and no difference, it still screams !

More detail on my hookup, I have single SATA II 320 gb Maxtor drive with two MacOS Extended partitions hooked to the Red Sata port, no other Sata drives in system. I also have one 320 gb Maxtor PATA EIDE drive on the jMicron EIDE port, it has one single NTFS partition used to boot WinXP (XP Device Manager says it runs at ATA100 speed). Finally, I have one DVD burner (IDE) on the main IDE connector (next to red SATA port). All drive partitions mount under MacOS X (including the WinXP NTFS partition on the EIDE jMicron port. The DVD burner also works fine with iDVD and iMovie, etc. I get no error messages when MacOS 10.4.8 (JaS) boots anymore after the BIOS changes.

I have noticed others have not gotten the jMicron port to work. Mine works after a kext change although I have only tested the EIDE port, I have not tried a Sata drive on the jMicro, but I suspect it will work too with the kext change. I can research that further if there is interest. I found something somewhere and downloaded a fixed kext and presto, the WinXP partition suddenly showed up on the jMicro EIDE connector.

My new setup: P5W DH Deluxe, 320 gb SATA II, 320 GB PATA, 16x Liteon DVD burner, 2 GB PC6400, E6600 Core 2 Duo (not overclocked yet, but that's next on the plate), Sapphire x18000XT with CI, QE, Rotation, Mirrowing, etc., all powered with Antec Trio PS. Everything works including sound in and out except for Wifi, Tiger sees it as USB WiFi device but still unable to find a driver, need help here please.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Paulsat,

would you please share your BIOS set up, if you dont mind and have time?

It would be nice to have that way worked too.

Thanks

I have changed hard drives attached since then and the darn error message came back, however, I wrote a tiny script application that now runs on startup that kills the pesky error message. The script executes the following code:

#!/bin/sh

kill `ps axww | grep -i "ser[n]otification[c]enter" | awk '{print $1}'`

exit

The script application is attached to this post, I put it in my dock then moved it to the Utilities folder. I then right clicked it in the dock and chose "Open at Login". I still see the pesky error message, but only briefly, when my Login script executes, it goes away immediately!

Thanks Paulsat. Have not tried your script yet but looks like a nice solution.

By the way, have you guys noticed that the error message actually disappears all by itself after a minute or two? It has a timeout. I have not timed it, but if you just log in and leave it alone, or start using something other than the finder, the error goes away by itself after about a minute. If you need to use the finder straight away though you can't until you acknowledge the error.

I have the same message upon start up and I was wondering if it has something to do with partitioning as well. I cannot format the volume "disc0S4" (see pict) using either disc utility or gParted.

Disc utility does not give a choice of Volume Format and if I continue I then receive the message "Volume Erase failed with the error: Insufficient privileges". When I use gParted it tries to search for drives but is continually searching without ever finding any drives.

I have also used mac's and gParted's terminal using "fdisc /dev/sda" command but "command not found" is returned. Is there anyway to format this partition? What is "Insufficient privileges"?

disc_utility.tiff

I have the same message upon start up and I was wondering if it has something to do with partitioning as well. I cannot format the volume "disc0S4" (see pict) using either disc utility or gParted.

Disc utility does not give a choice of Volume Format and if I continue I then receive the message "Volume Erase failed with the error: Insufficient privileges". When I use gParted it tries to search for drives but is continually searching without ever finding any drives.

I have also used mac's and gParted's terminal using "fdisc /dev/sda" command but "command not found" is returned. Is there anyway to format this partition? What is "Insufficient privileges"?

The error we are seeing at startup is related to the 320.0 KB Config Disk, so your problem of having trouble erasing/formatting disk0s4 (note that it is disk and not disc as per your picture) is a different problem. You might want to start this up as a new thread so that more people will see it and be able to help you.

In any case, a couple of things to look at:

"Insufficient privileges" can mean that you are don't have enough permissions to make changes of this sort, kind of like file permissions. Are you logged in to macosx as an administrative user? I think you need to be logged in as an administrative user or root in order to make these changes. I expect you probably are logged in as an admin so this will probably not help.

I don't know what gParted is - is that in linux?, but in regards to the other command, in macosx you probably want something like:

sudo fdisk /dev/rdisk0

rather than "fdisc /dev/sda" - note the spelling of fdisk. also note that when you use "sudo" it will ask for your password

For me this outputs the following and is not interactive. You probably need to add additional options to this command for it to make changes:

sudo fdisk /dev/rdisk0

Disk: /dev/rdisk0 geometry: 38913/255/63 [625142448 sectors]

Signature: 0xAA55

Starting Ending

#: id cyl hd sec - cyl hd sec [ start - size]

------------------------------------------------------------------------

1: 07 0 1 1 - 1023 254 63 [ 63 - 63231777] HPFS/QNX/AUX

*2: AF 1023 254 63 - 1023 254 63 [ 63244062 - 51081680] HFS+

3: AF 1023 254 63 - 1023 254 63 [ 114325785 - 51081680] HFS+

4: 05 1023 254 63 - 1023 254 63 [ 165407465 - 459734983] Extended DOS

Starting Ending

1: 83 1023 254 63 - 1023 254 63 [ 165421368 - 56934297] Linux files*

2: 05 1023 254 63 - 1023 254 63 [ 222355665 - 402786783] Extended DOS

3: 00 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 [ 0 - 0] unused

4: 00 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 [ 0 - 0] unused

Starting Ending

1: 82 0 1 1 - 1023 254 63 [ 222355728 - 1429722] Linux swap

2: 05 1023 254 63 - 1023 254 63 [ 223785450 - 401356998] Extended DOS

Starting Ending

1: AF 1023 254 63 - 1023 254 63 [ 223786584 - 401355864] HFS+

2: 00 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 [ 0 - 0] unused

I wouldn't go messing with this command until you have a fairly good understanding of it though as it can mess up your install and then you might need to reinstall from scratch.

Some other tools to research:

diskutil

By the way, for me, I can select my linux partition(volume) in Disk Utility, and it does not let me select the volume format either, however I can hit the erase button and it pops up a warning with something like "erasing the volume will destroy all information on the volume etc. Are you sure you wish to erase volume disk0s5?" I don't want to erase my linux partition so I can't tell you what happens after that.

Do you get something like that?

Good luck

Fabcat

Edited by fabcat

Thanks Paulsat. Have not tried your script yet but looks like a nice solution.

By the way, have you guys noticed that the error message actually disappears all by itself after a minute or two? It has a timeout. I have not timed it, but if you just log in and leave it alone, or start using something other than the finder, the error goes away by itself after about a minute. If you need to use the finder straight away though you can't until you acknowledge the error.

Don't bother with my script, it is crude at best. The best and simpliest solutions is from gecko a few posts up:

gecko wrote: "setting sata to AHCI resolves the issue"

Thanks gecko!

This is a simple bios setting (on the first subpage of the BIOS). If you let the BIOS identify the Sata drive(s) using AHCI instead of having the drives act like standard EIDE drives, then the "Config Disk" thing never happens. That must be what I did in the BIOS when I first got rid of the problem. Then I had added a couple Sata drives with MacOS on them and made some BIOS changes to get things kind of working again, when I did, the Config Disk thing came back (I had changed the Satas to EIDE instead of AHCI). So I tried gecko's suggestion yesterday and the notification error under MacOS X went away. At that point, however, when I booted WinXP from a jMicron IDE drive, my MacDrive software no longer saw the Mac drives on the Sata ports. When I first installed WinXP, I did not have Sata drives hooked up, so apparently the driver needed to see the AHCI Sata drives was not pre-installed. So, re-installed Asus device drivers to fix that. Now everything works fine under both operating systems.

Everything on my P5W DH Deluxe board works perfectly now (except wifi, which I understand a universal binary driver for it is soon to be released too).

This forum rocks!

anyone get generi achi too?

Generic AHCI (null):

Vendor: Generic AHCI

Speed: 3.0 Gigabit

Description: AHCI Version 1.10 Supported

ST3250620AS:

Capacity: 232.88 GB

Model: ST3250620AS

Revision: 3.AAD

Serial Number: 3QE08534

Native Command Queuing: Yes

Queue Depth: 32

Removable Media: No

Detachable Drive: No

BSD Name: disk0

OS9 Drivers: No

S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified

Volumes:

Untitled:

Capacity: 66.86 GB

Available: 64.4 GB

Writable: No

File System: NTFS

BSD Name: disk0s1

Mount Point: /Volumes/Untitled

MacHD:

Capacity: 166.02 GB

Available: 26.94 GB

Writable: Yes

File System: Journaled HFS+

BSD Name: disk0s2

Mount Point: /

my disk are crawling really...

my old gigabyte 945 was way faster than this mobo...

for like 130 dollars less..

please any help from the Asus p5w community