[HowTo] Working Audio fix for Sigmatel 9220, Sigmatel 9752/53, SiS 7012

wtcnbrwndo4u

120 posts in this topic

Hey all... I've got success with the audio issue. I have a Sigmatel 9220.

BTW, my VendorID is 8384 and my DevID is 7680, which is 9220. This was done on 10.4.7. It should work all the way back to 10.4.3 though.

Continuing. Here's the process. I made it easy and complete step-by-step for people new at it.

1. Download AppleHDA.kext from 10.4.3 (attached in zip format).

2. Copy to /System/Library/Extensions/ and replace original (backup would be a good idea).

3. Open Terminal

4. Type "sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache"

5. Type "sudo kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

6. Open up Disk Utility

7. Choose the "Repair Disk Permissions" button. It should start up. It may or may not fix things... Mine didn't repair anything, but I did is as a precaution.

8. Reboot.

9. Open up System Preferences/Sound to confirm audio. I have both output and input, but I have to check inputs.

10. My audio is coming out of the subwoofer port (black). I would try all of them if it doesn't work with black.

Output is stereo only. I'm getting 5.1 audio only because I have a specific adapter that converts a 5.1 analog connection (green, yellow, black) to a stereo analog connection (green). I recieved this adapter with my speakers (Dell 5650 5.1 speakers). You should be able to find this adapter elsewhere though.

On top of that, the audio card will NOT show up in System Profiler, but works still.

That's it.

wtcnbrwndo4u

CONFIRMED INSTANCES:

Sigmatel 9220: VendorID - 8384/DevID - 7680

SiS 7012: VendorID - 1039/DevID - 7012

Sigmatel 9752/53: VendorID - 8384/DevID - 7652h

SYSTEMS THAT HAVE THESE CHIPSETS:

Sigmatel 9220: Dell Dimension 5100/9100/5150/9150/XPS 400/E510 (5150 & E510 are the same, XPS 400 & 9150 are the same)

SiS 7012: Sony Vaio GRT996ZP

Sigmatel 9752/53: Dell Inspiron 6000

Another working system is the XPS M1210, however I haven't recieved a VendorID/DevID for it yet.

EDIT: Included confirmations and systems that carry the chipsets.

AppleHDA.kext.zip

Hey all... I've got success with the audio issue. I have a Sigmatel 9220... I think... Either way, this should work for all 9220/21/23 chips.

So, is this a fix for people that have to connect their speakers to the mic input per se?

sorry... mine is not.

SigmaTel STAC9225 @ Intel 82801GBM ICH7-M - High Definition Audio Controller

Audio Controller Type Intel ICH7

Codec Name SigmaTel STAC9225

Codec ID 83847661h / 00000000h

Codec Revision 00104201h

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7661&SUBSYS_104D0700&REV_1042

reporting success on Intel D945GNT (Audio coming out of wrong port though), mic seems to be working too :censored2:

Yes, my audio comes out of the sub port. I've also heard a confirmed version in the line-in port.

Yay, it's a sticky now! :censored2:

BTW, this is posted in the 10.4.7 HCL in the Wiki.

well, Nice find,,, but, as I use a 5.1 sound output is tottaly useless. At least if someone can find a solution for tha sound to come from the corect out-put connector.... If I go to win, I have to go all the time under my desk for changing the cables.....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bikedude880

I take it the only downside to this is that the volume control is either on or off, no in-between? If there is anyway to fix it, I would be glad to know.

Funny thing ... I checked my Sigmatel flavour and it is indeed the 9220, VendorID 8384 and DeviceID 7680. I followed the instructions above (using the attached zip file) and no luck. This is what i did:

1. Downloaded the AppleHDA.kext from above post to my Desktop

2. Opened up terminal and did unzip ~/Desktop/AppleHDA.kext.zip

3. sudo -s

4. rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

5. cp -R ~/Desktop/AppleHDA.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

6. rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

6. kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

7. Opened up Disk Utility

8. Did a "Repair Disk Permissions". It repaired a few things but unrelated.

9. Reboot.

10. Opened up System Preferences/Sound

11. No joy!

Did I do anything wrong or did i miss anything? Both of these are highly likely as I'm a total OSX noob!

Any help here would be great ... lack of sound is the only thing stopping me from using OSX on a more "regular" basis.

Funny thing ... I checked my Sigmatel flavour and it is indeed the 9220, VendorID 8384 and DeviceID 7680. I followed the instructions above (using the attached zip file) and no luck. This is what i did:

1. Downloaded the AppleHDA.kext from above post to my Desktop

2. Opened up terminal and did unzip ~/Desktop/AppleHDA.kext.zip

3. sudo -s

6. rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

6. kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

7. Opened up Disk Utility

8. Did a "Repair Disk Permissions". It repaired a few things but unrelated.

9. Reboot.

10. Opened up System Preferences/Sound

11. No joy!

Did I do anything wrong or did i miss anything? Both of these are highly likely as I'm a total OSX noob!

Any help here would be great ... lack of sound is the only thing stopping me from using OSX on a more "regular" basis.

I believe you missed step 2... That's definately your problem. You must copy the AppleHDA.kext to "System/Library/Extensions/" and replace the original. Authenticate the replace.

I believe you missed step 2... That's definately your problem. You must copy the AppleHDA.kext to "System/Library/Extensions/" and replace the original. Authenticate the replace.

What I did was delete the original files then copied the kext from your zip file to the /Extensions directory. I will try copying over the original like you've suggested! Lucky I "didn't" save the original! :)

He did.

His step 4. deleted the "old" AppleHDA.kext from the Extensions folder.

His step 5. copied the "new" AppleHDA.kext from his Desktop to the Extensions folder.

He didn't have to authenticate because he used "sudo" to perform the operations.

So that is definitely not his problem.