Finally QE/CI on Mobility 5650!

checcco

90 posts in this topic

After some successes on this card I've been struggling for 3 days to try and get QE/CI on 5650m.

But my laptop didn't like the easy way so I've been reading dozens of topic and following dozens of guide.

In the end I succeeded!

I think this solution is nearly perfect. There's still something that can be fixed, but we have to work together.

Here's how i got it (If you find an easier way or if you think I've done something not useful, just share it)

BE SURE TO BE ABLE TO VNC IN YOUR LAPTOP!!!

1. Start from a clean 10.6.3

2. Get your card bios as shown here http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1029 (you must be in 32 bit mode to use this tool)

3. Rename the dumped bios 1002_68c1.rom annd put it in your Extra folder

4. Comboupdate to 10.6.6 in safe mode (-x)

5. Before reboot install Lion's ATI5000, ATISupport and ATIFramebuffer (they are here on the forum) using KextHelper

6. Overwrite your boot file with the one attached here that I compiled from Kabyl's source to make it work with 5650s

7. Reboot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=READ BELOW

At this point we reboot setting the right Framebuffer to work with our card. I've found two working framebuffers that behaves differently:

A. Hoolock

If you get corrupted screen VNC into your laptop and try to change resolution. I couldn't find 1366x768 so installed Switchresx to get it.

STRANGE THING:If you attach an external monitor you get only a mirrored screen and System Profiler will report only a monitor attached.

So if you choose this way reboot with: GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=Hoolock

B. Vervet

Again if you get corrupted screen VNC into your laptop and try to change resolution. I couldn't find 1366x768 so installed Switchresx to get it.

STRANGE THING:System profiler will report always 2 monitor attached even if you got no external monitor attached (and you can see it by looking at your laptop from VNC). OSX will behave like if you have an external monitor (you can drag windows etc..)

So if you choose this way reboot with: GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=Vervet

I hope it's all clear.... And let's try altogether to solve the STRANGE THINGS :)

EDIT: I wanna thank hjs89 for suggesting Lion's kexts and for instructing me about recompiling Kabyl's boot. :)

boot.zip

Any recommendations on what VNC software to use (perhaps UltraVNC)?

On windows you can use TightVNC

On OSX you simply choose "connect to server" from menu in Finder

Added credits to hjs89 in the first post ;) Thank you friend!

I use Android VNC with my mobile phone

this was my next plan, edit the boot file, wonderful job, i start my laptop with external and change res higher then it can handle and it switches the scrambled screen to fully display on LVDS so my thoery is when it boot the LCD screen it does it at a unsupported res, thus the scramble.

so my screen then switch, LCD external goes out of sync and my LVDS display turns on.

Hoolock

Flicker

Baboob

Vervet and Uakari go as extended for me.

Getting switchresx now to try as the OS only let's me choose 1344 lol

Added credits to hjs89 in the first post :D Thank you friend!

Still no QE/CI, DVD and Frontrow still black screen...will muck around more.

Added credits to hjs89 in the first post :) Thank you friend!

Megalodon - External monitor

Hoolock - Both monitors full res but no QE/CI

Baboon - Full res both monitors no QE/CI

Flicker - full res both monitors no QE/CI

Vervet/Uakari - LVDS full res, External extended desktop. no QE/CI

Zonalis - Extneral LCD no QE/CI

HI i have on 5730 full res come here and do it should work for you

@EVERYONE Follow these directions.

ATI 5650m - Working FB is Eulemur, DVD Player and Frontrow work 100% DASHBOARD WATER RIPPLE EFFECTS!

Boot using the above files, also get your rom using these instructions.

First time you boot, boot using GraphicsEnabler=No, Install a program called ScreenresX which you can set screen res 1366x768 for your laptop screen, save it.

Reboot using GraphicsEnabler=Yes, Now you will have QE/CI, Full resolution!

FB for ATI 5650 Mobility is EULEMUR!

ATI 5650m - Working FB is Eulemur, DVD Player and Frontrow work 100% DASHBOARD WATER RIPPLE EFFECTS!

First time you boot, boot using GraphicsEnabler=No, Install a program called ScreenresX which you can set screen res 1366x768 for your laptop screen, save it.

Congratulation for successfully enabled the internal LCD.

One question though. You & checcco mention to get the ROM file but I don't see the ROM file is being used. I thought the ROM file will only be use when booting with "UseAtiROM=Yes". Does the "UseAtiROM=Yes" flag is set as default in the modified boot file (first post)?

Congratulation for successfully enabled the internal LCD.

One question though. You & checcco mention to get the ROM file but I don't see the ROM file is being used. I thought the ROM file will only be use when booting with "UseAtiROM=Yes". Does the "UseAtiROM=Yes" flag is set as default in the modified boot file (first post)?

I just checked... You're right, my method works without vga rom too

Thanks for your previous replies about VNC software, I'm using an app from RealVNC on my iPhone.

[edit] Guess I have to install [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] before upgrading... [/edit]

Thanks everyone!! I am now on SL 10.6.6 with QE/CI using Eulemur (semi-transparent taskbar, ripple effects and resolution change ;)

The only problems I have now is that my laptop trackpad and keyboard and my sound isn't working :( (where they were working fine before)

[edit] AtiConfig=Hoolock works for me too, still no internal keyboard/trackpad though [/edit]

Thanks everyone!! I am now on SL 10.6.6 with QE/CI using Eulemur (semi-transparent taskbar, ripple effects and resolution change ;)

The only problems I have now is that my laptop trackpad and keyboard and my sound isn't working :( (where they were working fine before)

[edit] AtiConfig=Hoolock works for me too, still no internal keyboard/trackpad though [/edit]

AppleACPIPS2Nub and ApplePS2Controller kexts inside Extra should fix you right up :)

@Checcco we are going to have a lot of trouble getting our cards to work in Lion, Tried quite a few things evo, ATY, our cards dont auto detect so we need injectors but our FB's dont work in Lion, Strange I know. Now I'm wondering what is the difference of using Lion kexts inside SL compared to lion kexts in lion.

@Checcco we are going to have a lot of trouble getting our cards to work in Lion, Tried quite a few things evo, ATY, our cards dont auto detect so we need injectors but our FB's dont work in Lion, Strange I know. Now I'm wondering what is the difference of using Lion kexts inside SL compared to lion kexts in lion.

I'm trying DSDT injection right now... I have strange results...please read here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1654325

Hi,

I have tried it with Eulemur, but the display stays black and I can only access it over VNC. I use the PC EFI 10.6 bootloader, 10.6.6, 10.3 qoopz kernel and it's a dv7-4173cl, with i7-720QM. When I try to change the resolution it kinda whitens up

Alexander

EDIT: I forgot to mention, that in my opinion the monitor isn't detected for some reason.

Hey,

So I've gotten my card to boot with the driver using the boot file (rom extracted and everything), but I'm having an issue where it just doesn't seem to pick up the AtiConfig string.

If I input GraphicsEnabler=No, then it will boot on the internal screen at maxres (1366x768).

If I input GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=(Anything), it boots on the external screen at whatever the resolution was last set to with SwitchRes.

I've been running it with 1366x768 in the hope of getting the 'Hoolock' FB to output this to both screens, which will work, so I'm not sure if that has an effect with GraphicsEnabler.

I've also used the tool to extract the EDID when running on either one of these modes, I get the same EDID value - nonetheless I've edited the -717 file to add this information - doesn't seem to help.

Attempted using stock Cham RC5 with ATI support, it just hangs at 'card POSTed, reading VBIOS from legacy space' (regardless of UseAtiRom setting or AtiConfig).

If I don't give an AtiConfig at all, it spits out a bad error about unallocated space.

I'm not sure if I've got QE/CI running but I've got translucency, rotation, and the dock is translucent also along with the minimize looking pretty speccy too. One thing I've noticed is I can't view picture with Preview - I have taken some screen shots that show up in thumbnail but appear blank in Preview.

Also my Safari kept crashing whining about Flash - I've had to uninstall Flash to get a working browser. Chrome fails bad too but you can't uninstall flash from that. I somehow suspect this is to do with the video driver - but QuickTime does work for playing videos.

In System Profiler, under PCI Cards, it lists two PCI cards.

ATI Radeon HD 5000:

Name:	ATY,ATY,RadeonFramebuffer
 Type:	display
 Driver Installed:	Yes
 Bus:	PCI
 Slot:	Slot-1
 Vendor ID:	0x1002
 Device ID:	0x68c1
 Subsystem Vendor ID:	0x103c
 Subsystem ID:	0x1448
 Revision ID:	0x0000
 Link Width:	x16
 Link Speed:	2.5 GT/s

Unknown:

Name:	ATY,MegalodonParent
 Type:	ATY,MegalodonParent
 Driver Installed:	Yes
 Bus:	PCI
 Vendor ID:	0x1002
 Device ID:	0xaa60
 Subsystem Vendor ID:	0x103c
 Subsystem ID:	0x1448
 Link Width:	x16
 Link Speed:	2.5 GT/s

And under Graphics/Display it lists:

ATI Radeon HD 5000:

Chipset Model:	ATI Radeon HD 5000
 Type:	GPU
 Bus:	PCIe
 PCIe Lane Width:	x16
 VRAM (Total):	1024 MB
 Vendor:	ATI (0x1002)
 Device ID:	0x68c1
 ROM Revision:	113-B7710C-176
 EFI Driver Version:	01.00.318
 Displays:
Display Connector:
SwitchResX4 - Unknown Monitor:
 Resolution:	1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz
 Pixel Depth:	32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
 Main Display:	Yes
 Mirror:	Off
 Online:	Yes
 Rotation:	Supported
Display Connector:

None of this changes when I change kernel parameters - so I am not sure what's going on.

It seems like I just need to initialize the correct framebuffer - from what I'm reading, Megalodon is just for external output - which is exactly what I'm getting.

However the fact flash is crashy and I can't see pictures in Preview has me wondering also.

Does anyone have any ideas?

AppleACPIPS2Nub and ApplePS2Controller kexts inside Extra should fix you right up ;)

Thanks, my laptop keyboard works now! Still no trackpad and no sound though, guess I'll try some other kexts.

[edit]Ok, I've got my keyboard and my trackpad/touchpad/mousepad (whatever u want to call it) working by reinstalling [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] with Voodoo PS 2 Controller and System Utilities (and of course copying the modified boot file before rebooting). Last thing up is sound ;):):) [/edit]

[edit 2]Got sound working as well by installing VoodooHDA, only my mic volume is too high and it doesn't respond to the mic volume slider in System Preferences. This results in my laptop speakers hissing really loud or my headphones hissing as well (less loud though, probably because my laptop mic is reeeaaally close to my laptop speaker)..[/edit]

[edit 3]Deleted AppleHDA.kext and reinstalled this VoodooHDA.kext: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...1499&st=20# as per those instructions. So yeah, that means what's necessary is working :)[/edit 3]

I've also used the tool to extract the EDID when running on either one of these modes, I get the same EDID value - nonetheless I've edited the -717 file to add this information - doesn't seem to help.

The "DisplayVendorID-756e6b6e / DisplayProductID-717" are generic vendor & product ID (respectively). It happen when monitor is not fully recognized. You should change it to your monitor actual vendor & product ID. You can get it by obtaining from EDID. The best way to obtain EDID is in windows because your monitor does work there (correct resolution & other properties). Please refer to Vesa Enhanced Extended Display Identification Data Standard - EEDIDrAr2.pdf documentation if you want to learn more about EDID. You can get EDID in windows using tool like MonInfo. Then change the format to like this (example):-

EDID BYTES:
0x   00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 0A 0B 0C 0D 0E 0F
------------------------------------------------
00 | 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 4C 2D 4B 06 59 42 56 43
10 | 0D 14 01 03 80 10 09 78 0A EE 91 A3 54 4C 99 26
20 | 0F 50 54 BF EF 80 71 4F 81 00 81 40 81 80 95 00
30 | 95 0F A9 40 B3 00 02 3A 80 18 71 38 2D 40 58 2C
40 | 45 00 A0 5A 00 00 00 1E 01 1D 00 72 51 D0 1E 20
50 | 6E 28 55 00 A0 5A 00 00 00 1E 00 00 00 FD 00 32
60 | 4B 1F 51 11 00 0A 20 20 20 20 20 20 00 00 00 FC
70 | 00 53 4D 42 32 33 33 30 48 0A 20 20 20 20 01 93

Referring to EDID documentation, address/offset 0x08 to 0x09 is vendor ID while address/offset 0x0A to 0x0B is product ID. Based on the example above, vendor ID is 4C2D (in ISA 3-character ID Code format) & product ID is 0x064B. Based on this information, the display override filename should be "DisplayVendorID-4C2D / DisplayProductID-64B". For the rest you can follow CharredPC excellent guide.

Attempted using stock Cham RC5 with ATI support, it just hangs at 'card POSTed, reading VBIOS from legacy space' (regardless of UseAtiRom setting or AtiConfig).

I'm assuming you're referring to the stock Kabyl's boot file.This is expected since the stock Kabyl's boot file doesn't contain device ID for your card.

If I don't give an AtiConfig at all, it spits out a bad error about unallocated space.

I don't know about this error but make sure the "AtiConfig" is placed at the end, for example: GraphicsEnabler=Yes -v AtiConfig=Hoolock

I'm not sure if I've got QE/CI running but I've got translucency, rotation, and the dock is translucent also along with the minimize looking pretty speccy too. One thing I've noticed is I can't view picture with Preview - I have taken some screen shots that show up in thumbnail but appear blank in Preview.

Also my Safari kept crashing whining about Flash - I've had to uninstall Flash to get a working browser. Chrome fails bad too but you can't uninstall flash from that. I somehow suspect this is to do with the video driver - but QuickTime does work for playing videos.

You're right to suspect the video driver since our graphic card still not working properly. On my notebook I can't use DVD Player. It's keep crashing. While hjs89 who have the same graphic card as mine but different notebook, can use DVD Player. Based on what you got there show QE/CI does enabled. It just not perfect.

I don't know about this error but make sure the "AtiConfig" is placed at the end, for example: GraphicsEnabler=Yes -v AtiConfig=Hoolock

Thanks for the tip.

It doesn't seem to matter what flags I give it at boot, it still only shows on the external monitor. I'm still uncertain as to why this doesn't work - everyone else seems to just say 'Just boot with this FB' or whatever - I haven't seen anyone get this same issue as me (ie. it boots Megalodon every time)

I'm using the ROM that Atlee compiled which should take the AtiConfig string and work with it. I'm stumped.. :)