[Guide] Mammoth Method v2.00 - HP DVx 10.6.x: Fast, Easy, Comprehensive Installation. /// NEW MAMMOTH BOOT CD for i5 & i3 \\\

Mammoth

1,567 posts in this topic

I have tested HDMI now

Got picture on my TV when I enabled "Mirror" without I did see some windows, but not the mouse curser.

Started a movie with VLC, no sound and with full screen no picture.

But this is not a big deal , when I not going to use HDMI.

But another thing that has happened some time is that when I restart or shut down my PC, it's can hung with just my background visible. Any one else have seen this?

//Peter

Anyone has got a guide to replace a wifi card on dv6t?

it is right underneath the hard drive on mine, it appears we have a similar model.

Just lift up the hard drive, its loose in mine bracketed in no screw, unscrew the existing wifi card, pop in new one screw in and you're done.

can anyone please confirm if this is working on the core2 based dv7's yet?

my windows installation is a mess, and i keep putting it off as i'd like to get mac os on here.

however a lot of backup is needed etc and i cant be without my machine for longer than a day.

if anyone has any incline if it will be ok with core2duo please let me know.

I'm not simply asking "will this work?" I'm asking if anyone has had any success with a machine like mine as of yet.

best wishes,

Brad

Hey Mammoth,

Still haven't found the time to try out the installation with the new Nawcom kernel.

Also, noticed last night that, from my understanding, people without a working Mac will require your 1.15a boot DVD in order to use v2.00? So would we need an edited 1.15a boot DVD for i5/i3 users?

Pablo mentions an Atheros AR9285 that he got off eBay. Seems to work for him

Well yes, to expand on that situation. I currently use a Dell DW1390 that I bought off ebay, however it is a full length PCI-E card, as such it's currently in the lower PCI slot and works perfect. But I want to use that slot to put a DVB-T PCI-E card. So i researched half mini PCI-E cards. From my research the only half mini PCI-E card that appears to work according to insanelymac is the AR9285, which l bought today. I have patched my BIOS with the whitelist to allow any PCI-E card in the "proper wifi" slot. I shall let you all know in due course how I get on.

Then l shall be happy to have the AR9285 instead of the stock intel 5100, with a DVB-T pci-e in the lower PCI slot and a expresscard with usb 3.0 ..........sounds good eh? :D

least i not mention i am buying a TRIM SSD to put my primary OS X partition onto and also installing an AWUS050NH usb wifi card where the "expansion port 3" is on the left, i shall just rip that port off the motherboard, shove my usb card in, connect via usb cable and then attach the antenna as and when is needed. Oh and replace the keyboard with backlit version of dvx and perhaps finish off with an increased 12cell battery. My poor machine is going to be like a frankentosh instead of a hackintosh at this rate! Have already unplugged the bluetooth card to conserve battery life as is totally useless to me :P

Well yes, to expand on that situation. I currently use a Dell DW1390 that I bought off ebay, however it is a full length PCI-E card, as such it's currently in the lower PCI slot and works perfect. But I want to use that slot to put a DVB-T PCI-E card. So i researched half mini PCI-E cards. From my research the only half mini PCI-E card that appears to work according to insanelymac is the AR9285, which l bought today. I have patched my BIOS with the whitelist to allow any PCI-E card in the "proper wifi" slot. I shall let you all know in due course how I get on.

Then l shall be happy to have the AR9285 instead of the stock intel 5100, with a DVB-T pci-e in the lower PCI slot and a expresscard with usb 3.0 ..........sounds good eh? :D

least i not mention i am buying a TRIM SSD to put my primary OS X partition onto and also installing an AWUS050NH usb wifi card where the "expansion port 3" is on the left, i shall just rip that port off the motherboard, shove my usb card in, connect via usb cable and then attach the antenna as and when is needed. Oh and replace the keyboard with backlit version of dvx and perhaps finish off with an increased 12cell battery. My poor machine is going to be like a frankentosh instead of a hackintosh at this rate! Have already unplugged the bluetooth card to conserve battery life as is totally useless to me :P

Lol, do show us a photo of this "Frankentosh" when it's done. Also, do these Atheros AR9285 come in certain DVx laptops? I do know that my DV6 has an Atheros card, not sure if it's the exact same one. I could check, but I'm not home right now

i know this should probably go in another forum, but i am selling my dv7. (3180US). quad core, 6gig ram etc etc.

let me know if you know someone who might be interested.

it currently has 10.6.6 on it.

x130844 at something like gmail

sp.tiffAlso to let everyone know i am using a atheros 9280 in my dv7 and its working perfectly as well, mac identified it upon first boot and everything worked like a dream.. I got this card out of a gateway computer and it has bluetooth built in as well. Also a mini card too!! Figured i would share with everyone

if you do not want to mount your windows partitions in OSX

You can do this

Created a /etc/fstab

and put this line in

LABEL=SYSTEM none ntfs ro,noauto

LABEL=OS none ntfs ro,noauto

LABEL=RECOVERY none ntfs ro,noauto

LABEL=HP_TOOLS none msdos ro,noauto

So now is my windows partition not mounted in OSX ;)

Replace your partition name after LABEL=

Hi Peter_sm,

This would be great, but I couldn't get it to work, not under 10.6.7 anyway. Have you got it to work?

How can I update OS X to 10.6.6 if it does not boot?

By following the directions I posted in the General File Library.

;)

hi mammoth is the a costum dsdt for my laptop hp dv6-2190us (i7)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product...loc:0&cc=us

and is there any way to make bcm 43225 b/g/n to work in mac osx

Someone may have posted one, but I don't know. I am next going to create some i5 and i3 MIIFs, and also start adding DSDTs to the DSDT Library. I will have a CLEAN section and a CUSTOMIZED section for them.

Almost ANY Wi-Fi card used in a real MacBook/Pro will for sure work, and usually they will also easily work with Windows7. I also list one specifically in the guides that many have used and works well.

Hi Mammoth ,

Just want to thank you for the great work you done to help us get the most out of our DV8's , just to give you some feed back on my new set up , everything went well , some little confusion at the Bios set up with the BIN file , had to changed the name , but it worked out great ! Also , some confusion with the " Cham" and " CIIF" partition naming , but also figured out and worked out ok . When updated to 10.6.6 , lost my audio and USB's , but not a problem , then after 10.6.7 update , lost audio, but fixed it with your " Enable Audio" fix on your Extra/Maintenance folder .

So , now computer is so stable , run a Geekbench test and got a number in the high 6k.

Graphics are so much better, I need to test my HDMI out to see if I can get it with audio

Where can we find a list of the best wireless cards we can use for our system ? or your best recommendation ? I think that is all i need now to make it a perfect set up ! Thanks to you and your hard work and research ! So grateful to have people like you and all other people involved on making this great set up ! , who are willing to share the knowledge and time to help others .

One more thing .. just tested the little card reader , and it did not work , how can we make it work ? I know on our last set up we used the voodoo kext .

Update: Just tested the HDMI , and it did not work for me .. only as a graphics out , but no video or audio out ! :P

Again , thank you !!

oskr

Thank you Oskr66 for taking the time to express your thanks. That always helps me and encourages me, hearing that my efforts are helping others.

Thanks for also listing what things were troublesome and needs work. I do plan on addressing these ASAP.

I have never got the card reader to work. The only way I knew using the Voodoo kept also required you to run in 32-bit mode, which would be a pretty bad trade.

The HDMI audio has been spotty. I have no need for it so haven't tested much, but for those who do, we will have to figure out how to get it working. I think the GenericBrightness.kext has something to do with it, believe it or not, and also of course, a customized DSDT.

Thanks So Much Mammoth for your huge efforts for helping us and the community

1) I applied your guide and i got most of the drivers working except HDMI Sound not working till now although it works before.

2) AppleACPIBatteryManger.kext: not working properly (wrong calculations & no warning when battery is low) although it works before.

Update: there is a very simple DSDT edit, which must be made manually to make

AppleACPIBatteryManger.kext work fine here

3)Sound don't work with "LegacyHDA.kext" so i replaced it with my old "IDT92HD75B3_106.kext" made by kizwan

That's it Till Now if i got any other problem i will report it as soon as possible

Also i want to say that i installed Mac OSX 10.7 on "OSXRepair" partition just to test & see and it seems very good

most of the major drivers work very well like Graphics, Network, Keyboard and trackpad :D :D

but sound, GenericBrightness and AppleACPIBatteryManger don't work till now

and the kernel error is still there so we have to use edited kernel :P:(

Thanks Yehia Amer! And thank YOU too, as you have done quite a lot yourself! :)

It's odd because the sound should have worked UNLESS when you did your install you used the v.01 instead of the v.02 MIIF. For those who use the v.02 MIIFs AND have the same sound chip as my DV8, sound will work. I want to work with Taptun to see if we can apply the same method for audio he introduced to us to get other chips working too.

Very interesting about the battery! I'm going to try that. Thanks!

I'm using 10.6.7 also now and haven't found any other issues yet.

I am having a problem with the MammothDVxt boot cd. I load it up and get to the chameleon boot menu, then I switch disks, wait, and then press f5. when I do this, my hard drive (which showed when chameleon first popped up) is still there and a new "hard drive" pops up named "i=" but i cant boot it or anything and it doesnt show my mac os retail disk. is there a way to fix or else get around this using a different way? I feel stupid that I cant get past the "easiest step" but I have done everything in my knowledge to get it working. :(

This sounds like classic "optical media related issues" like I talk about in the guides.

You probably just have a bad burn / CD. Try burning again, and burn at a low/slow rate, or try with a different program or on a different CD burning drive.

I have tested HDMI now

Got picture on my TV when I enabled "Mirror" without I did see some windows, but not the mouse curser.

Started a movie with VLC, no sound and with full screen no picture.

But this is not a big deal , when I not going to use HDMI.

But another thing that has happened some time is that when I restart or shut down my PC, it's can hung with just my background visible. Any one else have seen this?

//Peter

I haven't seen these issues (but haven't tested with HDMI at all yet).

I will be doing a clean install on my own system, then I will be able to test and see if I have some of the same issues.

Mammoth

Great Job, man

amazing

post-557433-1301509061.gif

THANKS MaLd0n!

Your RUN_ME script and patch packs have really been a big help to everyone! Many are very appreciative of you helping them out.

:)

Let's keep it going and making things better and better!

;)

can anyone please confirm if this is working on the core2 based dv7's yet?

my windows installation is a mess, and i keep putting it off as i'd like to get mac os on here.

however a lot of backup is needed etc and i cant be without my machine for longer than a day.

if anyone has any incline if it will be ok with core2duo please let me know.

I'm not simply asking "will this work?" I'm asking if anyone has had any success with a machine like mine as of yet.

best wishes,

Brad

The best thing for you to do is to generate a clean DSDT using Ubuntu and then post it. Once this is done, we have a base to work from, you should be able to install, then it's just a matter of fine tuning by creating a customized DSDT. Instructions of doing this is in the DSDT guide.

Hey Mammoth,

Still haven't found the time to try out the installation with the new Nawcom kernel.

Also, noticed last night that, from my understanding, people without a working Mac will require your 1.15a boot DVD in order to use v2.00? So would we need an edited 1.15a boot DVD for i5/i3 users?

Hmmmm. That is a very good question and I think the answer is probably yes. If this is the case, I will create one for this. So once someone is able to test, please let me know.

This would explain why some in the past have said the CD wasn't working for them. Maybe they had i5 or i3 CPUs.

Thanks, and any suggested wi-fi card that I should get?

I list one in the guides, but any card that works in a real Mac will work in our Hacs.

least i not mention i am buying a TRIM SSD to put my primary OS X partition onto and also installing an AWUS050NH usb wifi card where the "expansion port 3" is on the left, i shall just rip that port off the motherboard, shove my usb card in, connect via usb cable and then attach the antenna as and when is needed. Oh and replace the keyboard with backlit version of dvx and perhaps finish off with an increased 12cell battery. My poor machine is going to be like a frankentosh instead of a hackintosh at this rate! Have already unplugged the bluetooth card to conserve battery life as is totally useless to me ;)

Very interesting things you will be doing! Very curious to see how these end up working for you. Please keep us up to date!

;)

My i5 is working strong after working with Mammoth last night...

Please be advised that almost all my features started to work only after I updated to 10.6.6 and used taptun's kernel.

Awesome Himura84! I'm going to create a MIIF for your machine next!

;)

sp.tiffAlso to let everyone know i am using a atheros 9280 in my dv7 and its working perfectly as well, mac identified it upon first boot and everything worked like a dream.. I got this card out of a gateway computer and it has bluetooth built in as well. Also a mini card too!! Figured i would share with everyone

Nice info; a lot of people asking about Wi-Fi cards.

Hi Peter_sm,

This would be great, but I couldn't get it to work, not under 10.6.7 anyway. Have you got it to work?

I'm on 10.6.7 and I only created the file fstab (need to do sudo -s first :unsure: ) in /etc and add these line in,after reboot these partition is not mounted :D see picture attached and my fstab. but do not use existing fstab.hd !!!

So that is great if for example OSX crashes, the these partition is not then affected if the PC is not shut down in a proper way ;)

According to my problem that the PC hung after I chose restart/shut down, it might be related to the new kernel or sleepenabler from 10.6.7? or just the 10.6.7 upgrade

Any way I have disabled Energy Saver right now, So I can see if that is the problem or not.

EDIT

Is these kernel errors just false .... ?

Mar 31 09:09:08 Peters-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Acpi brightness levels:11, lowest brightness:0, highest brightness:100 
Mar 31 09:09:36 Peters-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "kTypePinComplex != fType" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 2013 goto Exit
Mar 31 09:09:36: --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Mar 31 09:09:36 Peters-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "kTypePinComplex != fType" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 2933 goto Exit
Mar 31 09:09:36 Peters-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "kTypePinComplex != fType" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 2013 goto Exit
Mar 31 09:09:36: --- last message repeated 4 times ---
Mar 31 09:09:36 Peters-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "kTypePinComplex != fType" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 2933 goto Exit
Mar 31 09:10:27 Peters-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "kTypePinComplex != fType" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 2013 goto Exit
Mar 31 09:10:27: --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Mar 31 09:10:27 Peters-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "kTypePinComplex != fType" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 2933 goto Exit
Mar 31 09:10:27 Peters-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "kTypePinComplex != fType" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 2013 goto Exit
Mar 31 09:10:27: --- last message repeated 4 times ---
Mar 31 09:10:27 Peters-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "kTypePinComplex != fType" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 2933 goto Exit
Mar 31 09:11:19 Peters-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "kTypePinComplex != fType" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 2013 goto Exit
Mar 31 09:11:19 Peters-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "kTypePinComplex != fType" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 2933 goto Exit
Mar 31 09:11:19 Peters-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "kTypePinComplex != fType" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 2013 goto Exit
Mar 31 09:11:19 Peters-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "kTypePinComplex != fType" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 2933 goto Exit
Mar 31 09:11:19: --- last message repeated 4 times ---

post-683117-1301553658_thumb.png

fstab.txt

Hi franky_402, Did you do the bios mod for this to work. I found some info stating these work natively on some Pavilion's and Compaq's. Found some for sale: WLAN PCI-Express Mini-Card 802.11n/a/b/g 300 Mbps / Atheros AR9280 / 2Tx2R MIMO with Model #: Atheros AR5BXB92. Wondering if this is the same model you have, as I would also like the bluetooth option

.HP Compatible AR5BXB92

New Apple Original wireless wifi card Atheros AR5BXB92

Your machine should be easily supported. You could try with the DV8 MIIF/MIID, we would have to modify for your ATI card. Make a clean DSDT for your machine, then put the DSDT.aml file on the DVx MIID (or just replace the one on the DV8 MIID.

So could you elaborate on this and detail some instructions to what i should do, I tried using the dvx miid and inserted my dsdt, and all i get is boot loop i tried using different kernels, the 10.7.3 legacy kernel, the nawcom kernel you supplied that allowed your i5 and i3 installation, and the default taptun kernel

i also remembered to change the boot.plist accordingly for each trial

i would also like to note that my hp has sandy bridge and an intel chipset hm65

Hi Mammoth and all the contributors

I've managed to get some time to attempt the installation so I'll share my progress (not completed at the moment am stuck)

I've managed to get everything working, the new Nawcom legacy kernel worked great. Only problem I had was the trackpad didn't work so I had to use an external USB mouse. Tried to do the whole process using just the keyboard but had issues performing the "Restore" part of the installation. Trackpad could work using Nawcom's disc so there may be something that can be done here.

Installation was all fine and well, followed the full instructions up to where it said to remove all devices, I managed to remove my USB mouse but obviously the MIID/XIID USB had to stay connected since OSX is being installed off it.

The problem arose after rebooting, I would get the following error

boot0 : GPT

boot0 : test

boot0 : done

boot1 : error

My OSX installation was unable to boot by itself. I was able to log into OSX via MIID.

I attempted to install 10.6.7 just to see if it was possible as this was where I had issues in the past with the Nawcom boot CD. Still couldn't boot without MIID so I had to use it to get into OSX.

OSX managed to boot fine however, my keyboard, trackpad and USB ports were not working and therefore I could not do anything even though it's booted. I do know that it was frozen as pressing the power button would prompt me with the shut down options.

So yeah, that's the progress I've had so far. If anyone could lend a hand, that'd be great.

Thanks for reading =]

I've managed to get some time to attempt the installation so I'll share my progress (not completed at the moment am stuck)

I've managed to get everything working, the new Nawcom legacy kernel worked great. Only problem I had was the trackpad didn't work so I had to use an external USB mouse. Tried to do the whole process using just the keyboard but had issues performing the "Restore" part of the installation. Trackpad could work using Nawcom's disc so there may be something that can be done here.

Installation was all fine and well, followed the full instructions up to where it said to remove all devices, I managed to remove my USB mouse but obviously the MIID/XIID USB had to stay connected since OSX is being installed off it.

The problem arose after rebooting, I would get the following error

boot0 : GPT

boot0 : done

boot1 : error

My OSX installation was unable to boot by itself. I was able to log into OSX via MIID.

I attempted to install 10.6.7 just to see if it was possible as this was where I had issues in the past with the Nawcom boot CD. Still couldn't boot without MIID so I had to use it to get into OSX.

OSX managed to boot fine however, my keyboard, trackpad and USB ports were not working and therefore I could not do anything even though it's booted. I do know that it was frozen as pressing the power button would prompt me with the shut down options.

So yeah, that's the progress I've had so far. If anyone could lend a hand, that'd be great.

Thanks for reading =]

Might have to explain that to me in more laymen's terms. But I had that same error sequence. I had messed up my Cham boot partition. So l rebooted off the OS X install, then restored the "CIIF" to the "cham" partition again and re-ran the /volumes/ciif/finish program. Worked fine after that. Also make sure your OS X install partition is called "Macintosh HD". Shouldn't have any problems after that?? Be careful you're restoring the correct CIIF to the cham partition, it's not the actual MIIF it's inside the MIIF at /installation/

EDIT

Is these kernel errors just false .... ?

Mar 31 09:09:08 Peters-Mac-Pro kernel[0]: Acpi brightness levels:11, lowest brightness:0, highest brightness:100 
Mar 31 09:09:36: --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Mar 31 09:09:36: --- last message repeated 4 times ---
Mar 31 09:10:27: --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Mar 31 09:10:27: --- last message repeated 4 times ---
Mar 31 09:11:19: --- last message repeated 4 times ---

Don't worry about those AppleHDA errors, everybody gets them, seem harmless.........just annoying!

Thanks for reading =]

It happened the same to me. I couldn´t boot from the HD, only from the MIID and the USB ports were not working either. As I had no internet and no access to USB, I am also stuck.

I got the MIID and OSX installation disk restored onto a flashdrive but now when i try to start up the installation it starts to load and then grey screens with the thing saying to restart. What should I do to fix this? redo the installation disk restore? because i tried putting the disk in and that did the same thing as it loaded. it only works in the mammoth cd boot.

Thanks Yehia Amer! And thank YOU too, as you have done quite a lot yourself! :)

It's odd because the sound should have worked UNLESS when you did your install you used the v.01 instead of the v.02 MIIF. For those who use the v.02 MIIFs AND have the same sound chip as my DV8, sound will work. I want to work with Taptun to see if we can apply the same method for audio he introduced to us to get other chips working too.

Very interesting about the battery! I'm going to try that. Thanks!

I'm using 10.6.7 also now and haven't found any other issues yet.

Hi Mammoth

I will try this v.02 MIIF sound Kext and see, hope to get HDMI sound working!!

I don't mean "10.6.7", i mean "Mac OSX Lion 10.7.0 developer Release"

According to my problem that the PC hung after I chose restart/shut down, it might be related to the new kernel or sleepenabler from 10.6.7? or just the 10.6.7 upgrade

Any way I have disabled Energy Saver right now, So I can see if that is the problem or not.

EDIT

Still problem that my PC hung with reboot/shut down..

BUT according to WIFI card, I looked at my sons laptop, and he has a ALTHEROS AR928X card , if that works i going to shift card with him :P Some one knows if this is a working card for osx

EDIT

Some searching and it looks like this card are supported :( Mammuth or other DV8 user , is there any way to get a updated BIOS from somewhere ??

Still problem that my PC hung with reboot/shut down..

BUT according to WIFI card, I looked at my sons laptop, and he has a ALTHEROS AR928X card , if that works i going to shift card with him :angel: Some one knows if this is a working card for osx

EDIT

Some searching and it looks like this card are supported :D Mammuth or other DV8 user , is there any way to get a updated BIOS from somewhere ??

I had a similar question but for my system on the official hp support forum

It was solved with this

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...54&sw_lang=

And this driver was also found on your product's driver page

it basically says that the atheros AR9285 is already on the whitelist of the bios and all you need to do is unplug the power, remove the battery (necessary to upgrade any component in a computer) and simply, replace the half mini pcie card

best thing to do is just try it. Only thing that would happen if the card is unsupported, is that the bios will refuse to boot the OS, but the OS will not be damaged. just revert to the original or keep it disconnected, to get the system up and running