[Guide] Mammoth Method v2.00 - HP DVx 10.6.x: Fast, Easy, Comprehensive Installation. /// NEW MAMMOTH BOOT CD for i5 & i3 \\\

Mammoth

1,567 posts in this topic

Hi Elixz,

A couple of things, I want everyone to test with the legacy_kernel FIRST... however if that doesn't work, then maybe trying the modbin_kernel could be a useful test.

Don't change anything else in com.apple.Boot.plist! Leave bt(x,x) AS-IS. Only change the name of the kernel.

Hi Franky_402,

When you say "You got it installed", what did you do that allowed this? Did you try the legacy_kernel test?

No it's weird how Apple does it; 10.6.6 showed as "10.6", so that is normal and correct.

Yes, those are all comments can questions better suited for Gsly to address. I don't know much about the battery particulars. He did say there was more work needed though.

i changed the boot.plist and added taptuns 10.7 kernel to the root of my mac hd, installed the update. where is the legacy kernel??

Hi Elixz,

A couple of things, I want everyone to test with the legacy_kernel FIRST... however if that doesn't work, then maybe trying the modbin_kernel could be a useful test.

Don't change anything else in com.apple.Boot.plist! Leave bt(x,x) AS-IS. Only change the name of the kernel.

Ok. Trying again with the legacyKernel and the proper partitions this time. Seems to be installing OK (20 minutes to go).

I could install but I must have done something wrong because my Cham Volume is wrongly named CIIF, it failed to boot (No bootable device error).

I have to boot from the MIIF, but I can then go into the Macintosh HD and the system loaded Ok. No Ethernet.

Tomorrow I will try again, but it is bed time for me in Spain.

Chao

will i get support?

some files I compiled with kext list and dsdt

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=89967

I created the zip using "run_me" from MaLd0n's DSDT Auto-Patcher thread

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=235523

Laptop Specs are in my sig

BIOS: InsydeH2O version F. 0A | Rev.3.5

To install Mac OS X, I used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Legacy from tonymacx86 and my retail 10.6.3 disc

and to retain boot, I used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 3.4 and installing these packages:

*[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]

*Chameleon 2 RC5 with Sandy Bridge by valv

*System definition macbook pro 8,1

Note: my motherboard chipset is intel hm65

running 10.6.3 snow leopard

Your machine should be easily supported. You could try with the DV8 MIIF/MIID, we would have to modify for your ATI card. Make a clean DSDT for your machine, then put the DSDT.aml file on the DVx MIID (or just replace the one on the DV8 MIID.

ALSO

I know many of you have recently posted for help on current issues. I will respond to at least some of you soon, right now I am focusing on priority #1 in hopes I can figure this out quick and get more people going.

Can you (and others with i5 machines) try this?:

- Copy the legacy_kernel from the NOWCOM, Preboot.dmg to the root of your MIID

- Change com.apple.Boot.plist on you MIID in /Extra from the taptun kernel to the legacy_kernel

Then try booting (and installing if you get that far), and let me know the results.

Thanks.

Will try this when I get time, am currently at work and the GF's parents are in town. Hope I'll get some time tonight to test this out. In the meantime, Elixz seems to be doing a good job with the testing. Kudos to you both =]

Ok. Trying again with the legacyKernel and the proper partitions this time. Seems to be installing OK (20 minutes to go).

I could install but I must have done something wrong because my Cham Volume is wrongly named CIIF, it failed to boot (No bootable device error).

I have to boot from the MIIF, but I can then go into the Macintosh HD and the system loaded Ok. No Ethernet.

Tomorrow I will try again, but it is bed time for me in Spain.

Chao

Then you are using the old v.01 MIIF. Get the new v.02 and all should be good!

;)

I can shed some light, but not fixable light. Does that make sense?

But either way, I have 2 x 320gb HD's. One has OS X, the other W7. Cham can see both. The onyl thing I can say is that I pulled 1 drive out, then installed W7 to the drive remaining. Put the other drive back in (making sure it's the primary ie number 1 drive position/cable) and then installed OS X + Cham partitions to that drive. Rebooted and tadah, cham just sees W7. Not sure why this is any different to your guys setup apart from the install sequence but it works...

In my case, I only have one slot available (haven't bought the kit from HP yet to use the second slot).

I was just saying I had another 320gb (from a portable external hdd) to swap with my original for trying this out (and later for imaging back to the original, once I got w7 playing nicely as a dual boot with OS X).

Anyway, still looking for possible solutions. Started dredging through the cham forums, but have only found (so far) the origin of fdisk440, and how it was made to actually cure this (or a similar) problem here.

Still looking... ;)

In my case, I only have one slot available (haven't bought the kit from HP yet to use the second slot).

I was just saying I had another 320gb (from a portable external hdd) to swap with my original for trying this out (and later for imaging back to the original, once I got w7 playing nicely as a dual boot with OS X).

Anyway, still looking for possible solutions. Started dredging through the cham forums, but have only found (so far) the origin of fdisk440, and how it was made to actually cure this (or a similar) problem here.

Still looking... ;)

Yes, USUALLY the fix for this was just to reinstall Chameleon. I don't know why that's not working now.

I will look into this very soon.

Yes, USUALLY the fix for this was just to reinstall Chameleon. I don't know why that's not working now.

I will look into this very soon.

Ah, hey, no worries dude. As said before, TAKE A BREAK! lol

Seriously though, don't feel like you have to solve every last problem. I know you've put a lot of work into this already, and you want to see it 100%, but you also need to give yourself a rest too, or you'll go nuts and start clucking like a chicken while rolling on the floor in perfect time with the barbie girl theme music... :(

Ok, perhaps not that bad, but still, you get the picture.

Ah, hey, no worries dude. As said before, TAKE A BREAK! lol

Seriously though, don't feel like you have to solve every last problem. I know you've put a lot of work into this already, and you want to see it 100%, but you also need to give yourself a rest too, or you'll go nuts and start clucking like a chicken while rolling on the floor in perfect time with the barbie girl theme music... :(

Ok, perhaps not that bad, but still, you get the picture.

Hmmmm. It's amazing how good that sounds right about now.... and I have room on my floor!

A chicken says....

Hi Mammoth,

Firstly just want to say thank you for the excellent guides!

I have installed OSX on a few laptops, but my HP DV6 seems to be causing the most problems. As with a few other members who have the i5 processor, I cannot get past the chameleon screen. I have tried many boot CDs and installation methods, all with similar results. I have only had partial success with the EmpireEFI 1.085 for ATI (Predecessor to the Nawcom CD which has worked for other members)

I have created a dsdt using Ubuntu, but this does not help when added to the MIID. I've also tried using the legacy_kernal and modbin_kernal as you asked to test them too, however the results are the same.

I'm more than happy to help test anything, clean dsdt from ubuntu is attached if this helps.

dv6_3060sa_clean_ubuntu_dsdt.zip

Hi Mammoth,

Firstly just want to say thank you for the excellent guides!

I have installed OSX on a few laptops, but my HP DV6 seems to be causing the most problems. As with a few other members who have the i5 processor, I cannot get past the chameleon screen. I have tried many boot CDs and installation methods, all with similar results. I have only had partial success with the EmpireEFI 1.085 for ATI (Predecessor to the Nawcom CD which has worked for other members)

I have created a dsdt using Ubuntu, but this does not help when added to the MIID. I've also tried using the legacy_kernal and modbin_kernal as you asked to test them too, however the results are the same.

I'm more than happy to help test anything, clean dsdt from ubuntu is attached if this helps.

Join us on Facebook, I am working with someone on an i5 machine right now. Details are on the first posts of this thread.

Thanks to Ekwj and Himura84, we have a way to install for i5 (and maybe i3) machines now!

I will be posting the procedure soon in the General Files Library

Aye that's awesome. Can't really take credit for anything though. Good work Mammoth. Will test em out later tonight I hope =]

Aye that's awesome. Can't really take credit for anything though. Good work Mammoth. Will test em out later tonight I hope =]

NO! You were a BIG help! The key was that legacy_kernel on the NOWCOM CD. Without that we'd be right where we have been.

Everybody can help. :)

Thanks!

if you do not want to mount your windows partitions in OSX

You can do this

Created a /etc/fstab

and put this line in

LABEL=SYSTEM none ntfs ro,noauto

LABEL=OS none ntfs ro,noauto

LABEL=RECOVERY none ntfs ro,noauto

LABEL=HP_TOOLS none msdos ro,noauto

So now is my windows partition not mounted in OSX :)

Replace your partition name after LABEL=

You will now be able to boot to your MIID and install OS X.

However...

Once the installation is completed OS X will not boot. The issue is apparently that 10.6.3 is NOT compatible with i5 and i3 machines. So update to either 10.6.6 or 10.6.7, and then you will have a booting system.

[/size][/color][/color][/size]

How can I update OS X to 10.6.6 if it does not boot?

hi mammoth is the a costum dsdt for my laptop hp dv6-2190us (i7)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product...loc:0&cc=us

and is there any way to make bcm 43225 b/g/n to work in mac osx

Short answer, no. The ONLY half mini PCI-E card that l'm aware of, that works natively in OS X, is the AR9285 which I have just bought off eBay ;) Others such as the intel 5100, dell 1520, realtek etc don't.

Hi Mammoth ,

Just want to thank you for the great work you done to help us get the most out of our DV8's , just to give you some feed back on my new set up , everything went well , some little confusion at the Bios set up with the BIN file , had to changed the name , but it worked out great ! Also , some confusion with the " Cham" and " CIIF" partition naming , but also figured out and worked out ok . When updated to 10.6.6 , lost my audio and USB's , but not a problem , then after 10.6.7 update , lost audio, but fixed it with your " Enable Audio" fix on your Extra/Maintenance folder .

So , now computer is so stable , run a Geekbench test and got a number in the high 6k.

Graphics are so much better, I need to test my HDMI out to see if I can get it with audio

Where can we find a list of the best wireless cards we can use for our system ? or your best recommendation ? I think that is all i need now to make it a perfect set up ! Thanks to you and your hard work and research ! So grateful to have people like you and all other people involved on making this great set up ! , who are willing to share the knowledge and time to help others .

One more thing .. just tested the little card reader , and it did not work , how can we make it work ? I know on our last set up we used the voodoo kext .

Update: Just tested the HDMI , and it did not work for me .. only as a graphics out , but no video or audio out ! :(

Again , thank you !!

oskr

Thanks So Much Mammoth for your huge efforts for helping us and the community

1) I applied your guide and i got most of the drivers working except HDMI Sound not working till now although it works before.

Update: you will find the fix on here

I added detailed Steps on how to patch dsdt to enable HDMI audio

2) AppleACPIBatteryManger.kext: not working properly (wrong calculations & no warning when battery is low) although it works before.

Update: there is a very simple DSDT edit, which must be made manually to make

AppleACPIBatteryManger.kext work fine here

3)Sound don't work with "LegacyHDA.kext" so i replaced it with my old "IDT92HD75B3_106.kext" made by kizwan

after that apply this terminal command for the audio thanks to Taptun

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x84\x19\xD4\x11|\x03\x76\x1D\x11|g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

That's it Till Now if i got any other problem i will report it as soon as possible

Also i want to say that i installed Mac OSX 10.7 on "OSXRepair" partition just to test & see and it seems very good

most of the major drivers work very well like Graphics, Network, Keyboard and trackpad :D :D

but sound, GenericBrightness and AppleACPIBatteryManger don't work till now

and the kernel error is still there so we have to use edited kernel :P;)

I am having a problem with the MammothDVxt boot cd. I load it up and get to the chameleon boot menu, then I switch disks, wait, and then press f5. when I do this, my hard drive (which showed when chameleon first popped up) is still there and a new "hard drive" pops up named "i=" but i cant boot it or anything and it doesnt show my mac os retail disk. is there a way to fix or else get around this using a different way? I feel stupid that I cant get past the "easiest step" but I have done everything in my knowledge to get it working. :P