[Guide] Mammoth Method v2.00 - HP DVx 10.6.x: Fast, Easy, Comprehensive Installation. /// NEW MAMMOTH BOOT CD for i5 & i3 \\\

Mammoth

1,567 posts in this topic

At startup to prevent the cache reloading extensions every time you need to make cache command to create a cache. There are specific steps for Lion to do this. You then need to enable quiet boot without verbose mode. Mine boots much faster now :)

Just going to upgrade to 10.7.1 after the break!

You are right my friend. I removed that -v kernel flag, and it boots fast as hell !!! Thanks a lot Pablo101.

The only thing left now is the graphics enabler No achievement... Once this will be done too, we will have fully, 100% perfect hacs!!!

Hello!

Thanks for updating this topic about dv8 and lion.. i like to do things manually, so i prefer not to use the mammoth method (expeciall for rebuilding caches) and i have some questions:

1) Do you use EE folder or do you put kexts inside SLE ?

2) Which tool do you use to rebuild caches?

3) May anyone with a fully working dv8 (i7-720qm , gf 230m 1gb) with latest lion installed (and all working patches) share its Extra folder for comparison purpose only(including dsdt,smbios and so on)?

Thanks!

Mal

&

This DSDT for 10.6.8 and Lion

-no trackpad properties

VoodooPS2Controller.kext.zip ( 114.12K ) Number of downloads: 19

-no brightness control

GenericBrightness.kext.zip ( 26.42K ) Number of downloads: 26

-and no sound

AppleHDA.kext.zip ( 1.21MB ) Number of downloads: 38

Remove all previous versions!!!

-no graphics with enabler=no,need enabler=yes

Send me your IOReg

Friends, you read that only the most recent posts

Always with you

@Taptun

Hello Taptun, first of all thanks for your help, it is really appreciated.

I tried the DSDT for Lion on you sent me in an earlier post used it for my 10.7.0 partition, in conjunction with chameleon build 1083, following your advise and using the kexts you posted, placing GenericBrightness.kext and AppleHDA.kext in /S/L/E/, repairing permissions and moving any trace of the old ones in cham/extra Extensions/ to a backup, but that does not seem to do the trick with brightness and audio just as macq experienced, I have these symptoms even after using those kexts, the brightness slider and OSD with the sun appear when triggered but it won't change the brightness, and audio tab in profiler shows audio id 7603 instead of the 888 I had in snow, but there are no ins or outs listed and does not work:

post-349339-1314423335_thumb.png

Also, my battery indicator has an "x" on it an when clicked says that no battery is available:

post-349339-1314423980_thumb.png

And sometimes after the display goes to sleep can't move either the built-in or the apple wireless trackpad until I press a key on the keyboard.

Graphics are working fine with or without the GraphicsEnabler=Yes flag

Could you please help me troubleshoot all this?? perhaps I'm missing something??.

Thanks my friend and have a great day/night/weekend. :wallbash:

@RxNix

Hi,

update your chamaleon to latest build from here:http://builds.voodooprojects.org/builds/Xcode4.1/

Reinstall lion afresh,don't upgrade from 10.6.x .

You'll get sound,trackpad,graphics(without enabler=yes),and the brightness slider.

But still no brightness control (cos I think it requires more manipulation in the dsdt that no ones has been able to do till now(specific for lion) or till ivik releases a newer generic brightness.kext for lion.

Battery does not work for me too in spite of the latest kext from gsly and necessary fixes in dsdt.

Also there is no fix for HDMI working for me currently.

Please share info if you come up with something new.

Hello!

Thanks for updating this topic about dv8 and lion.. i like to do things manually, so i prefer not to use the mammoth method (expeciall for rebuilding caches) and i have some questions:

1) Do you use EE folder or do you put kexts inside SLE ?

2) Which tool do you use to rebuild caches?

3) May anyone with a fully working dv8 (i7-720qm , gf 230m 1gb) with latest lion installed (and all working patches) share its Extra folder for comparison purpose only(including dsdt,smbios and so on)?

Thanks!

Mal

1.I also don't use mammoth method(straight retail install).

generic brightness.kext (though still not working),and patched applehda.kext in s/l/e

Rest in e/e

2.kext wizard

3.mine is a dv6 as you can see

1.I also don't use mammoth method(straight retail install).

generic brightness.kext (though still not working),and patched applehda.kext in s/l/e

Rest in e/e

2.kext wizard

3.mine is a dv6 as you can see

Thanks for your quick reply!

In the meanwhile i was trying to install snow again on another hd ( formatted with 1 partition in gpt mode ) but i have 2 errors :

1) bootloader, i get stuck at boot0: error and i installed chameleon several times both manually! dunno why it happens! i have to boot from external usbstick and chameleon installed there... hope i can fix such strange error

2) installation of snow 10.6.3 goes fine (using cpus=1) but when rebooting, in the gray screen i see the spinning wheel always running and it never stops ... i guess there is something that is not initializing the nice "welcome" video... it hangs before that.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Mal

ATI 5650 & MAMMOTH METHOD:

Hi everyone.

I accidentally installed an update and stuffed my entire install of 10.6.7

A few months ago I got a (sort of) stable install doing the Nawcom bootUSB method and some Lion drivers, as I couldn't get Mammoth Method working with my ATI 5650 graphics card.

I've tried for two days straight and can't get any install working with this gfx card since the accident.

Has anyone here managed to get their DVx working with the Mammoth Method and the ATI 5650???

I have downloaded the 10.6.8 combo update and tried that with Taptun's kernel, with no luck as well as trying with the 10.6.7 kernel and update.

Just want some advice on how to get this machine up and running if anyone can help?

Thank You!

This DSDT for 10.6.8 and Lion :)

-no trackpad properties

VoodooPS2Controller.kext.zip

-no brightness control

GenericBrightness.kext.zip

-and no sound

AppleHDA.kext.zip

Remove all previous versions!!!

-no graphics with enabler=no,need enabler=yes

Send me your IOReg :D

Friends, you read that only the most recent posts ;)

Always with you

@Taptun :)

Thanks Taptun for your professional support to this great machine!!

I have some questions for you... (or for anyone else if can answer):

1) Do you notice any lag in tapping using such VoodooPS2 kext you posted, when click+drag is enabled? Such lag disappears when you remove the +drag feature (but i use it a lot... useful) and if it is possible to emulate more "gestures" on recent PCtouchpads (like 3/4-finger recognition etc) ?

2) is the applehda.kext you provided for 10.7.0, for 10.7.1 or the newest updated one, even after 10.7.1? I know there was an audio update in apple updates recently.

3) I have a dv8 with i7 720qm , geforce 230m 1 gb, 8gb ram, 1tb hd(2x500 7200rpm) and i have the suspect graphics is slow on lion, much slower than snow so i guess i don't have qe&ci enabled. Is there any way to check if i have qe&ci enabled in lion? the good old method of inserting a widget in dashboard does not work any more in lion...

4) Should i see CPUs temperatures with files provided by mammoth's methods (expecially FakeSMC kext? I don't see CPU temperatures any more and i don't know why.

5) I would appreciate if you may share your entire Extra folder to check which kexts i have wrong ... may you share it ?

Thanks Taptun and to everybody keeping this machine up & kewl! :)

Mal

Please I'm getting stuck with this installation method...

I'm in 10.6.3, I can't update, the mouse pad doesn't response, I have no WIFI, no brigthness controll, no graphics driver.

Also I installed Windows 7 on other partition and I did exactly what Mammoth's GUIDE say for restoring the Chameleon and it doesn't work...

Please help me because I have been trying to install it like 1 month...

If it's not a problem for you, may you share your Extra folder too(including subdirs)? Not your personal custom themes, if you don't want to share them...

Thanks!

Mal

Sorry hadn't logged in.

Have removed the Themes folder to make the size smaller

Okey, I'm in 10.6.8 right now.

I open the Install Mac OSX Lion and I get a screen that says: Mac OSX 10.7 Lion requires a Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7 or Xeon processor

If i click in the "about this mac" i get the processor: 2,53ghz intel core i5

Thanks

I guess you first install Lion with the kernel given for Lion, and then you update to 10.7.1 and change the kernel (to this new one) in the MIID partition.

If this is what you have done, then, I guess it could have been your Chameleon version (try to update it). If your lion is not the final version, that could have been a problem too.

I never got Lion to install.. b4 installation, it loads a few pages of hsf+ files and then reboots.. I've tried the 11.1.0 lapic fix from http://www.kexts.com/view/1759-os_x_lion_d..._lapic_fix.html which was suggested earlier (sorry I can't find the post right now to quote) and the 10.7.1 by taptun.. I put the kernel files in MIID during USB prep..

As for the Chameleon version, I've tried all versions listed here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=255866 and none of them even load.. only the one in Mammoth's MIID loads.. May be worth noting that I used single partition to try the other versions because it seemed more in line with Mald0n's method for installing Lion: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...tall+lion+on+pc

Next will be using the Chameleon versions with the dual partitions.. and of coarse their combination with the regular MIID and the one for i3/i5.. so many combinations ;) lol

Okey, I'm in 10.6.8 right now.

I open the Install Mac OSX Lion and I get a screen that says: Mac OSX 10.7 Lion requires a Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7 or Xeon processor

If i click in the "about this mac" i get the processor: 2,53ghz intel core i5

Thanks

Lion has a list that is built into it as to what computers it will install on. I read somewhere that it looks at the motherboard and the cpu. If your SMBios file is not correct.... That may be the problem.

I never got Lion to install.. b4 installation, it loads a few pages of hsf+ files and then reboots.. I've tried the 11.1.0 lapic fix from http://www.kexts.com/view/1759-os_x_lion_d..._lapic_fix.html which was suggested earlier (sorry I can't find the post right now to quote) and the 10.7.1 by taptun.. I put the kernel files in MIID during USB prep..

As for the Chameleon version, I've tried all versions listed here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=255866 and none of them even load.. only the one in Mammoth's MIID loads.. May be worth noting that I used single partition to try the other versions because it seemed more in line with Mald0n's method for installing Lion: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...tall+lion+on+pc

Next will be using the Chameleon versions with the dual partitions.. and of coarse their combination with the regular MIID and the one for i3/i5.. so many combinations :D lol

Did you download the 10.7.0 version or the new 10.7.1 version of Lion? Make sure your using the right kernel. I just redid my test Hack this weekend with the 10.7.1 download and Taptun's kernel using Mald0n's method. Installed no problem. Using Chameleon, the newer versions you must change the "com.apple.Boot.plist" to "org.chameleon.Boot.plist". Take your time and try Mald0n's method again, it does work well.

Also put your computer spec in you sig. so people know what your working with. You may get more specific help for your version ;)

But still no brightness control (cos I think it requires more manipulation in the dsdt that no ones has been able to do till now(specific for lion) or till ivik releases a newer generic brightness.kext for lion.

Battery does not work for me too in spite of the latest kext from gsly and necessary fixes in dsdt.

Also there is no fix for HDMI working for me currently.

Please share info if you come up with something new.

I have brightness control and HDMI w/audio working :( But the catch is they both don't work at the same time. With GenericBrightness.kext installed in S/L/E brightness works with slider in Display options or mapped with BetterTouchTool. If I plug in a HDMI cable.... instant KP. Remove GenericBrightness.kext from S/L/E, HDMI works just fine :(

Have not found a working solution for the battery without replacing the AppleAPIC.kext from Snow. I don't want to go there....

You & RxNix have the same BIOS version as me, so here is my current DSDT to compare with yours. Maybe it will help you.

dgrx_dsdt.zip

My two cents to this great forum, I wanted (and still want :( ) to contribute somehow to the community of HP DVx Users, to share this with all of you (specially for people with Jmicron JMB38x card readers in their hacs). Even though there has been a word from NIXin about new driver for Jmicron card readers I have not tried it yet, but this is the kext I have been using for a while and the card reader works great with or without dsdt injection, in 32/64 Bit, up to 10.6.7. ( SD Only at the moment though, maybe it is possible to modify the Info.Plist to add functionality for XD and other devices, but not totally sure and have not tried). On 10.6.8 it also works but there is something that Apple changed with the update that triggers a message after resuming from sleep saying that the medium was not ejected properly. and that OS X will try to check for errors on it (so my guess is that to prevent damage to the media card it should be manually ejected before sleep. Again, this only happens on 10.6.8.

Anyways, Here is the kext, if you need to, you can change the info.plist to match your device and vendor ids, then place it in Cham/Extra/Extensions remembering to use ChamExtOpen and ChamExtUp in Cham/Extra/Maintenance Folder.

IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext.zip

Hi RxNix,

Thanks for the kext. It works great on SD Cards in Lion 10.7.1 also :(

Hi there!

I successfully installed Lion on my HP Dv6-6030el. I got almost everything working, but I have some problems, so I'm writing here get some help.

I used taptun's kernel and a DSDT edited by Madl0n, which is working fine.

1- I used to have switchable graphics in Windows, but I can't enable my HD 6470M on Hackintosh (I'm using HD3000 which is working fine). Is there a way to make it work?

2- Brightness is working through system slider, but I can't use keyboard Fn keys (I'm using this kext: http://www.kexts.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1448 ). Is there a solution? Is it possible to patch the kext? Any different one which works better?

3- I have a card Reader by Realtek (RTS5208), but my system doesn't recognize it (neither as a USB device).. Any kext available?

4- I tried to use USB3 LaCie kext (patched by modbin) but when I insert a drive in the port the system freeze. I couldn't find any error in kernel log, anyone know where is the problem?

Thanks for your answers!

ATI 5650 & MAMMOTH METHOD:

Hi everyone.

I accidentally installed an update and stuffed my entire install of 10.6.7

A few months ago I got a (sort of) stable install doing the Nawcom bootUSB method and some Lion drivers, as I couldn't get Mammoth Method working with my ATI 5650 graphics card.

I've tried for two days straight and can't get any install working with this gfx card since the accident.

Has anyone here managed to get their DVx working with the Mammoth Method and the ATI 5650???

I have downloaded the 10.6.8 combo update and tried that with Taptun's kernel, with no luck as well as trying with the 10.6.7 kernel and update.

Just want some advice on how to get this machine up and running if anyone can help?

Thank You!

Just putting it out there again....

Is there anyone here that can help me with going from 10.6.3 to 10.6.8 with the dreaded ATI 5650 graphics card? Fellow aussie Atlee maybe? Anyone?

Thank you!

Okey, I have decided to stay in the 10.6.8 version

What I don't have is

- Graphics (ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5650)

- Brightness controll (with the keyboard)

- Sound

- Wifi

And I think this is all

For the graphics i have read this

Special boot file version r875 for the ATI 5650m card thanks to willianhzp that posted on a chinese forum so i could upload in here.

If you get a scrambled screen you can make these steps:

1. Install SwitchResX if you haven't already, set the resolution to your liking.

2. Boot to Windows and retrieve your EDID using the ELDIM - EDIDViewer(Google it). Once you have the EDID saved somewhere you can access (online, text file, USB key, whatever), reboot to OSX. 2. Once you have your EDID, boot OSX (using screen sharing, if the screen is unusable) and open SwitchResX. Drag this file to your Desktop: /System/Library/Displays/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-756e6b6e/DisplayProductID-717*, and rename it to *.plist. Open it with Plist Editor Pro, and add your EDID (You must have to copy your edid in the text file you have saved from Windows and paste in there with the same template code) . Once done, remove the .plist extension, overwrite the /System/Library/Displays/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-756e6b6e/DisplayProductID-717 file, and reboot.

But It is for Lion, anybody with the 5650 working in Snow Leopard 10.6.8??

Which kext i need for the other things?

Thanks

to get sound working you need to follow what the guide said, mammoth does detail it in one of the PDFs, involves using the fix audio script on the cham partition

to get wireless working you need to research your card model, do you have the model + dev pci id?

for trackpad etc are you using the voodoops2controller? try installing it with kext helper b7, see this attachment for it, when updating to 10.6.7 did you use the patched kernel and replaced the old mach_kernel?? do you manage to boot into 10.6.7 by typing cpus=1 arch=i386 busratio=12 maxmem=4096 ??

I'm not sure about the max men of 8gb, it's to do with you using a 32bit kernel which limits at 4gb, to use the 8gb you need to boot with a modified mach_kernel which is 64bit, there is one in this thread for 10.6.7, should then allow 8gb?

Hi

Thanks for your reply. Sorry I was away. Just came back.

Actually I have managed to get inside 10.6.3

first i installed 10.6.3. I had native resolution. No kext detected for GPU. Then I installed [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and got sound, touchpad, ethernet working. Installed ralink RT3090 package for wireless. it worked, recognised as Ethernet. Now I could only get 10.6.3 working with legacy_kernel with arch=i386 maxmem=4096

Now This part is a disaster. following the Mammoth guide i tried to install 10.6.7. after reboot i got the screen like this (attachment). I cant get nowhere. I saw a 10.6.8 patched kernel. I have reinstalled 10.6.3 and installed 10.6.8 combo update result is the same.

I tried to install Lion but cant have a clue what are the files necessary to get my installation running as it always stuck on the boot and reboots.

Any idea how can i get my Pc running. I think i should go for lion than going through 10.6.3.

I am trying to collect the model + dev pci ID from windows.

post-251332-1314887520_thumb.jpg

Okey, I have decided to stay in the 10.6.8 version

What I don't have is

- Graphics (ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5650)

- Brightness controll (with the keyboard)

- Sound

- Wifi

And I think this is all

For the graphics i have read this

But It is for Lion, anybody with the 5650 working in Snow Leopard 10.6.8??

Which kext i need for the other things?

Thanks

Same process for 10.6.8 ;)

Hi

Thanks for your reply. Sorry I was away. Just came back.

Actually I have managed to get inside 10.6.3

first i installed 10.6.3. I had native resolution. No kext detected for GPU. Then I installed [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and got sound, touchpad, ethernet working. Installed ralink RT3090 package for wireless. it worked, recognised as Ethernet. Now I could only get 10.6.3 working with legacy_kernel with arch=i386 maxmem=4096

Now This part is a disaster. following the Mammoth guide i tried to install 10.6.7. after reboot i got the screen like this (attachment). I cant get nowhere. I saw a 10.6.8 patched kernel. I have reinstalled 10.6.3 and installed 10.6.8 combo update result is the same.

I tried to install Lion but cant have a clue what are the files necessary to get my installation running as it always stuck on the boot and reboots.

Any idea how can i get my Pc running. I think i should go for lion than going through 10.6.3.

I am trying to collect the model + dev pci ID from windows.

when you install the 10.6.8 combo update, before you restart do you copy and paste the new modified 10.6.8 kernel on to the hard drive and also boot up with those parameters you've stated?