[Guide] Mammoth Method v2.00 - HP DVx 10.6.x: Fast, Easy, Comprehensive Installation. /// NEW MAMMOTH BOOT CD for i5 & i3 \\\

Mammoth

1,567 posts in this topic

Ow, so you haven't gotten sleep working eh, assumed that you did from the list of fixes in your post above hehe. As with the sound issues are you having the issue where the volume control doesn't work or is it something more complex? Anyway respect to you for being able to work all this out yourself, wish I had the technical know-how =/

When i am done, all the sound will work. working on it now, got my codec verbs, codec id, creating the pathmaps then i should be able to load custom patched AppleHDA using layout id 12. Why I do not use LegacyHDA? Because everytime Apple releases newer versions of AppleHDA it always never used to work for me. Anyway Legacy i dislike ;) So I will inject id 12 with DSDT and provide a custom patched AppleHDA to go inside S/L/E. Back in few hours :D

Sleep well changes depending on board, sometimes kind of a biatch to get working, sleepenabler KP's so does my sleep fix, so i'm sure the problem is much harder then i think. Sleep is really not on my priority list :D

Sound and Video is.

Hey Guys,

So I'm coming back to the OSx86 project scene after being away for many years and trying to get my HP Dv6 setup working. I'm currently stuck in two spots.

First, I am just trying to get a bootable OS X 10.6.7 install working. I was able to boot into 10.6.3 and update to 10.6.7 as per the guides. Problem now is that I get a kernel panic during boot. Seems to be a problem with the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. I have tried using no DSDT and using a clean DSDT I created from Ubuntu and none of them seem to work. I have also tried multiple boot flags and I have not got any of those to work as well. Any ideas? Sorry I'm still a little new to the new processes. They have changed quite a bit since I last tried to create a hack. I have attach a screenshot of the KP in case that helps anyone. Also I have placed my clean DSDT in case someone sees a problem with that.

Secondly I am trying to recover my Windows 7 install with SRD as per the guides and the fix Mammoth gave to it. The recovery seemed to work fine; however, now when I boot to Windows 7 I am getting an error that bootmgr is missing. Anyway to fix this? I tried booting into recovery mode from a Windows 7 adding the bootmgr from the disk, setting the partition active, running the Startup repair and then setting the active partition back to chameleon. This allowed me to boot to my Windows 7 recovery; however, I was then unable to attempt to boot back into OS X. Chameleon seemed to complain about being unable to find the kernel. I have since blown this away and have now installed OS X back to the state it was before. So I'm lost at this too.

Thanks for any help and all the work everyone has put it! Comp specs are in the sig.

post-8071-1302497691_thumb.jpg

DSDT.zip

@Mammoth or anybody is it me or the new AppleHDA i'm trying to binpatch but cannot find the ID's, wondering if Apple have moved them? Can't find {censored}e ;)

@stargex

Looks like you are using a autopatched DSDT? Because Realtek should be 8111D/8168 not 8169.

And if i can remember that autopatch for dv6t does a lot of things that is not your model specific.

Also i cannot use taptun, so install legacy and use it. legacy boot using busratio=20 i think.

If further problems boot with machkernel cpus=1 busratio=20.

First, I am just trying to get a bootable OS X 10.6.7 install working. I was able to boot into 10.6.3 and update to 10.6.7 as per the guides. Problem now is that I get a kernel panic during boot. Seems to be a problem with the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. I have tried using no DSDT and using a clean DSDT I created from Ubuntu and none of them seem to work. I have also tried multiple boot flags and I have not got any of those to work as well. Any ideas? Sorry I'm still a little new to the new processes. They have changed quite a bit since I last tried to create a hack. I have attach a screenshot of the KP in case that helps anyone. Also I have placed my clean DSDT in case someone sees a problem with that.

Same problem here, i didn't remember how i fixed it but now it show me the "dsmos has arrived" message, hdd continues to work for 1-2 minutes and than stops.

EDIT: Tried with my clean dsdt and without it, no changes same message, no autopatch used.

Also tried with legacy and mach kernel, always same message.

Same problem here, i didn't remember how i fixed it but now it show me the "dsmos has arrived" message.

EDIT: Tried with my clean dsdt and without it, no changes same message, no autopatch used.

NULLCPUPowerManagement fixes the kernel panic that you are getting, If your DSDT is not for your system can cause KP's, with a correct DSDT you dont need NULLCPU kext.

2 kext's are needed for a system without a DSDT fakesmc and NULLCPU. then boot using mach_kernel cpus=1 busratio=20 for that core i5 580m or busratio=12 for my core i7 720QM.

NULLCPUPowerManagement fixes the kernel panic that you are getting, If your DSDT is not for your system can cause KP's, with a correct DSDT you dont need NULLCPU kext.

2 kext's are needed for a system without a DSDT fakesmc and NULLCPU. then boot using mach_kernel cpus=1 busratio=20 for that core i5 580m or busratio=12 for my core i7 720QM.

i'm using a clean dsdt generated from my machine.

Now my problem is "dsmos has arrived" message...

Before updating to the 10.6.7 the system worked fine and it's strange because mammoth said that 10.6.3 is incompatible with i5

Update: The dsdt fix works on 10.6.7 and Now i got a working HDMI Sound :D :D :D

for making HDMI sound works you must

1) inject graphics card from DSDT

2) GraphicsEnabler= No

3) add this fix: re-enable HDMI audio on SL 10.6.6

4) clear all caches and pfix

post-307642-1302362614_thumb.png

this is my DSDT:Amer_dsdt.zip

Good luck

Thanks yehia Amer ;)

Because of your DSDT, I was able to figure out how to do mine :(

Screen%20shot%20Sm.png

back from scratch:

Installed 10.6.3 following Mammoth guide (no dsdt, MIIF_DVx_i5i3, Mammoth DVxt Boot CD - v1.15a_i5i3);

Snow leopard started perfectly;

Changed Boot.plist following guide to use taptune1067 kernel;

Installed 10.6.7 combo update;

Restart and get this:

post-739435-1302520362_thumb.jpg

Thanks yehia Amer ;)

Because of your DSDT, I was able to figure out how to do mine :(

I can't seem to get my gfx card to work through the dsdt. I'm still using GraphicsEnabler=yes. Any ideas (steps) on how to do this? To be honest I've not looked through the guide lately, so it could be there.

back from scratch:

Installed 10.6.3 following Mammoth guide (no dsdt, MIIF_DVx_i5i3, Mammoth DVxt Boot CD - v1.15a_i5i3);

Snow leopard started perfectly;

Changed Boot.plist following guide to use taptune1067 kernel;

Installed 10.6.7 combo update;

Restart and get this:

post-739435-1302520362_thumb.jpg

This screenshot shows everything loading, you did not screenshot the KP error?

i'm using a clean dsdt generated from my machine.

Now my problem is "dsmos has arrived" message...

Before updating to the 10.6.7 the system worked fine and it's strange because mammoth said that 10.6.3 is incompatible with i5

What Mammoth says is true, it's either DSDT or kext related or you have a hardware id that isn't liked by the kernel but i doubt the hardware id thing.

@Mammoth will rework my DSDT got sleep to work but i think it's conflicting with LID0 fix, will look into it. Will redo DSDT from scracth again ;) easier from ground up. then you can post it to DSDT library.

I can't seem to get my gfx card to work through the dsdt. I'm still using GraphicsEnabler=yes. Any ideas (steps) on how to do this? To be honest I've not looked through the guide lately, so it could be there.

Just download DSDT already made inside the MIIF's section and then look for the Nvidia fix, a long with nvidia fix the brightness fix is for your card too, a long with OS definition patch also.

@stargex

Looks like you are using a autopatched DSDT? Because Realtek should be 8111D/8168 not 8169.

And if i can remember that autopatch for dv6t does a lot of things that is not your model specific.

Also i cannot use taptun, so install legacy and use it. legacy boot using busratio=20 i think.

If further problems boot with machkernel cpus=1 busratio=20.

@Atlee,

Actually my DSDT was created clean using Ubuntu. Thought this was supposed to create a clean DSDT that should work for my system.... Sorry still new to DSDTs.

@all

I'll try out what everyone suggested and see it it works for me tonight.

Thanks!

Completing the guide...

Creating my OSXRepair partition and then I'm going to try and make Windows7 work!

I still have no sound, and haven't tested VGA or HDMI... But I have all cores working, all USB (including the eSATA/USB port), Graphics, Card Reader, reboot, shutdown, sleep...

I'm not using a DSDT (clean or modified), but I suspect I'd have sound working after using a modded one.

At this moment I'm using 10.6.6!

This is all I can think of at this stage... feel free to ask, this way I'll remember what to test ;)

(PS - Would love to have my DSDT checked)

@atlee

Awesome progress, looking forward to testing once you've got it finished.

On another note, do you have wifi working and if so what card do you have?

On a second note, I was following your previous thread before about getting our ATI HD5650 to work, just wanted to know if the guide that checco made, does it still work?

Well I got a little farther today. I tried using the legacy_kernel; however, I couldn't get that to work using busratio=20 (20 for my CPU). I then tried cpus=1 busratio=20 and that didn't work. I took a picture of the output I got. Little blurry as the screen is only on for a few seconds before a reboot.

I also had the same problem while booting to 10.6.3. Bilieved this was also using the legacy_kernel since I am using the MIIF i5i3. In order to get that to boot I had use the arguments "-v maxmem=4096 arch=i386". Problem is I was unable to use my trackpad (I have only ever been able to use it once and that was via the i5i3 boot cd), any USB, or keyboard. So I couldn't go any farther.

I then tried the mach_kernel; however I couldn't get anything going with that at all. Seemed to be unable to find the right version i think. I can grab a picture of it if it would help.

Anyone have any ideas. I'm completely at a loss. I tried this all with and without the DSDT I made earlier...

post-8071-1302568670_thumb.jpg

Just download DSDT already made inside the MIIF's section and then look for the Nvidia fix, a long with nvidia fix the brightness fix is for your card too, a long with OS definition patch also.

I have the brightness fix in using the slider from the brightness thread. However, my nvcap is different than the one on the dv8t-1100 i7, and the MIIF for the i5 doesn't have a dsdt included. So... other than NVCAP, what else is there to inject into the dsdt to get the graphics working without the GraphicsEnabler=Yes flag?

Anyone have any ideas. I'm completely at a loss. I tried this all with and without the DSDT I made earlier...

This looks like a classic gfx driver not working properly. Can you boot -s?

Detailed Steps on How to re-enable HDMI audio on SL 10.6.6 or above

1) open your DSDT with DSDTSE

2) Search for "@0,device_type",

3) after

"@0,device_type", 
						Buffer (0x08)
						{
							"display"
						},

3) add

"@1,connector-type", 
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x00, 0x04, 0x00, 0x00
						},

4) Repeat this process after "@1,device_type",

"@1,device_type", 
						Buffer (0x08)
						{
							"display"
						},

5) add

"@1,connector-type", 
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x00, 0x04, 0x00, 0x00
						},

6) change the package length to

Store (Package (0x2C)

7) the final code will look like this

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Store (Package (0x2C)
                       {
                           "@0,AAPL,boot-display", 
                           Buffer (Zero) {}, 
                           "@0,backlight-control", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"@0,pwm-info", 
                           Buffer (0x18)
                           {
                               /* 0000 */    0x02, 0x18, 0x00, 0x64, 0x90, 0x59, 0x02, 0x00, 
                               /* 0008 */    0x08, 0x52, 0x00, 0x00, 0xA5, 0x1C, 0x00, 0x00, 
                               /* 0010 */    0x00, 0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"AAPL,backlight-control", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"AAPL,aux-power-connected", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"@0,built-in", 
                           Buffer (Zero) {}, 
                           "@0,compatible", 
                           Buffer (0x0B)
                           {
                               "NVDA,NVMac"
                           }, 

"@0,device_type", 
                           Buffer (0x08)
                           {
                               "display"
                           }, 

"@1,connector-type", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x00, 0x04, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"@0,name", 
                           Buffer (0x0F)
                           {
                               "NVDA,Display-A"
                           }, 

"@0,use-backlight-blanking", 
                           Buffer (Zero) {}, 
                           "@1,can-hot-plug", 
                           Buffer (Zero) {}, 
                           "@1,compatible", 
                           Buffer (0x0B)
                           {
                               "NVDA,NVMac"
                           }, 

"@1,device_type", 
                           Buffer (0x08)
                           {
                               "display"
                           }, 

"@1,connector-type", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x00, 0x04, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"@1,name", 
                           Buffer (0x0F)
                           {
                               "NVDA,Display-B"
                           }, 

"NVCAP", 
                           Buffer (0x18)
                           {
                               /* 0000 */    0x04, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x01, 0x00, 
                               /* 0008 */    0xFE, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x01, 0x0A, 
                               /* 0010 */    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"NVPM", 
                           Buffer (0x20)
                           {
                               /* 0000 */    0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 
                               /* 0008 */    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 
                               /* 0010 */    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 
                               /* 0018 */    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"VRAM,totalsize", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x40
                           }, 

"device_type", 
                           Buffer (0x0C)
                           {
                               "NVDA,Parent"
                           }, 

"model", 
                           Buffer (0x17)
                           {
                               "nVidia GeForce GT 320M"
                           }, 

"hda-gfx", 
                           Buffer (0x0A)
                           {
                               "onboard-1"
                           }
                       }, Local0)
                   DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                   Return (Local0)
               }

Device (HDAU)
               {
                   Name (_ADR, One)
                   Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                   {
                       Store (Package (0x02)
                           {
                               "hda-gfx", 
                               Buffer (0x0A)
                               {
                                   "onboard-1"
                               }
                           }, Local0)
                       DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                       Return (Local0)
                   }
               }

8) open com.apple.Boot.plist at "/Volumes/Cham/Extra/"

9) change GraphicsEnabler to No

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>

10) for the first time boot with "-f" boot flag and connect the HDMI cable before switching on the machine

Thanks dgrx, Good Luck :thumbsup_anim:

HI Amer,

thanks for the tutorial , I was able to patch my DSDT , but ti did not work , I was only able to get the screen with Mirroring only , no sound ! :(

I did exactly as you mentioned it , when saved , it did not returned any errors .

So , what else do I need to patch to make this work ? I tried to attache my DSDT for you to check it , but I get a message saying I " can not upload this type of file "

Can i email it to you and let me know if you can help me ......... thanks again for all your help

oskr

:wacko:

@Atlee,

Actually my DSDT was created clean using Ubuntu. Thought this was supposed to create a clean DSDT that should work for my system.... Sorry still new to DSDTs.

Thanks!

Stargex clean DSDT is clean, but it will not fix anything under OSX as it's a different system, You then need to manually patch device's, methods, clean up warnings and apply optimizations. Manually is a big job but those auto patches are fast but not really safe to be used by all machines, the auto patches are like be careful patches, cautious of using unless it fits your system.

@ANYONE WHO PM's ME, I AM BUSY DOING UNI AND ALSO DON'T HAVE TIME EVERYDAY TO LOOK AT PM's!

The PM system is farked! i will not use it unless i wish too, follow thew thread only and i will teach regarding certain issues, too much time is wasted with PM's, normally when i help people via PM they disappear so there is a reason i dislike it.

Hi Mammoth/All,

I've now installed OSX on my Dv6-2000tx and updated to 10.6.7 with Taptuns Kernel successfully. Not 100% tested, but seems as though sound and LAN work.

1. I'm at the DSDT stage and wondering if it is "worth" me trying a pre-existing DSDT with my hardware? (please see my signature for specs).

Or

2. Should I create my clean DSDT within ubuntu and post for Maldon/Nixon to patch when they get the time?

Still a bit Noobish at all this, but thought I'd seek guidence as to what the experts think I should do next considering my hardware specs etc.

PS - To Mammoth; totally appreciate everything you've put into this thread and your other compadres - really is a fantastic thread as I'm sure everyone would agree! :) Thanks mate!

Thanks yehia Amer ;)

Because of your DSDT, I was able to figure out how to do mine :)

Screen%20shot%20Sm.png

That's great ;) , can you post your DSDT, to make others take a look

HI Amer,

thanks for the tutorial , I was able to patch my DSDT , but ti did not work , I was only able to get the screen with Mirroring only , no sound ! :P

I did exactly as you mentioned it , when saved , it did not returned any errors .

So , what else do I need to patch to make this work ? I tried to attache my DSDT for you to check it , but I get a message saying I " can not upload this type of file "

Can i email it to you and let me know if you can help me ......... thanks again for all your help

oskr

:)

did you removed "GraphicsEnabler" and booted while the HDMI is connected and with -f boot flag

if you did and it still don't work...post your DSDT here

That's great :D , can you post your DSDT, to make others take a look

Sure, you can get it from here. dgrx dsdt.aml

I used oldnapalm's DSDT Editor from Here to load yehia Amer's DSDT. Saved it as a .dsl file. I started my dsdt based on the DV6 (i7 based) autopatch from the first page, based on this:

Hey Mammoth.

I did send you the updated auto patchers, for i3, i5, i7, don't you remember? :)

Also, the patcher for DV6 is the same as for DV7 - so you can use do that.

Once I used the auto patcher, I Loaded my dsdt into the DSDT Editor from above... saved as dsdt.dsl. Then did a text compare between yehia Amer's DSDT and mine. I was able to see what he did, and what I needed to do. Edited my dsdt.dsl in a text editor and saved. Loaded my edited dsdt.dsl into DSDT Editor, compiled, and saved as dsdt.aml. Now that I had my dsdt, I followed the rest of yehia Amer's instructions. :)

Mine is a little different than his. After some experimenting, I found that i did not have to add anything GFX0, all I edited was GFX1 on my dsdt. This seems to work well for me. Mileage my very....

Hope this helps some of you. I really appreciate yehia Amer posting his DSDT, as I used it as kind of a map of what I needed to do ;)

Thanks again yehia Amer :)

Also for info: Tested Quicktime, PandoraOne, VLC all :(

sorryyy but i don't see who the report of my notebook was very long.....

hummmm ....

what is ID ? and where i find it ?

Try looking on HP website.

Alternatively, you could try reading the DSDT guide where it shows a sample list of components that you need for DSDT by mammoth. Use that as a guide.

@MAMMOTH

Add to the DSDT library for my model. Final version. Fixes below:

DSDT Fixes:
- DTGP
- PWRB – Enable Sleep via Power button.
- LID – REMOVED!
- Backlight Patch – Not needed REMOVED!
- Generic Brightness Fix – Not needed REMOVED!
- OS Definition – Not needed REMOVED!
- Dual-link DSDT fix for videocard.
- Vanilla AC (_PRW)
- LPC (Low Pin Count) Intel Device injection (cooler temperatures and Turbo mode)
- IRQ correction, HPET, TIMR, RTC
- HPET return 0x0F
- CMOS reset fix
- Native USB with _DSM, purging _PSM
- EHCI injection
- USB rename to UHC
- HDEF injection
- Realtek injection (cosmetic)
- Processor Insert
- SMBUS ICH10 controller injection
- Shutdown fix (_PTS method)
- HDMI audio fix, Applied to 3 HDMI connections.
- Keyboard Injection
- Support for AppleACPIBatteryManager
- Rename ACAD to ADP1, P0P2 to GFX1

Sleep works via power button tested, just didn't know how to wake my machine up lol. may need more tweaking if it doesn't wake up ;)

Final file:

dsdt.aml.zip