DOOM in a whole new light!

Rhapsody Guru

30 posts in this topic

Hey guys:

Check this sucker out! It's called the Doomsday HQ engine for DOOM. It allows you to run DOOM natively on MacOS X, Linux, and Windoze. All you need is the original DOOM game to play. The graphics are greatly enhanced thanks to a sophisticated OpenGL renderer. Doomsday also works on other titles like Hexen and Heretic. You can go to the Doomsday HQ site by clicking here. If you want, there is this abandonware site called VETUSWARE.COM that has the DOOM 1.6 Beta avalible for download. It might be more buggy than the release version, though. Happy fragging! :P

Look at this and tell me it doesn't impress you!

doom_030.jpg

:)

Guru

P.S. More screenshots coming soon!

I used to play Doom95 quite a bit, and I play doom on my ipod time to time as well as a half-life mod for doom. I'll have to check this out :D P.S. Is there online play for this mod?

I used to play Doom95 quite a bit, and I play doom on my ipod time to time as well as a half-life mod for doom. I'll have to check this out :D P.S. Is there online play for this mod?

Hell yeah! It is quite sophisticated in terms of multiplay ability!

Guru

Man is this wierd or what? When I was going to download an addon for Doomsday, I came across the number of previous downloads. Get this, it was 666! A fitting number for a Doomsday addon! Look at this screenshot here and witness the devil's crazy mind.

hehe.jpg

Guru

P.S. By the way... you are probobly wondering what the heck the www.MisterCow.com site in my bookmark toolbar is. I strongly recommend that you don't visit that site. ;)

We have WolfenDOOM and DoomsDay but what about the people who want to run Catacomb 3d: The Descent?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catacomb_3D

If I'm not wrong that is the first "3D" game from id software.

Uh.. sorry. Unfortunately, anything made before the Original DOOM won't work. By the way... you can just check the site to see ALL the games supported by Doomsday HQ.

;)

Guru

DAMN! I use to Doomsday in Windows 98 and such, but WOW they really upped the graphics. I am downloading now and I got Doom 2 cd at home. I need to find Heretic (anybody know where I can get that?) and try this.

Doomsday let me play Doom 2 again and it was great but this is a big improvement.

DAMN! I use to Doomsday in Windows 98 and such, but WOW they really upped the graphics. I am downloading now and I got Doom 2 cd at home. I need to find Heretic (anybody know where I can get that?) and try this.

Doomsday let me play Doom 2 again and it was great but this is a big improvement.

Ahem... hate to break it to ya, but the package that normally is supplied with Doomsday called doomsday.wad was determined to be outdated. This file contained all the 3d models for Doom, Doom2, e.t.c. They will include a much newer doomsday.pk3 file in their 5th beta for 1.90. Currently it is in its 4th beta so you are gonna have to wait a bit. ;)

Guru

I tired it and I was disappointed in the lack of the 3d models. Hmm. I notice the main app is slow to come up but launching the games are fast. I do notice some hiccups in the games to. I hope they go universal.

Dude... like I said, they will implement 3D models in the 5th beta. It is coming soon.

Guru

does final doom work? i know you said doom 2 would, but im wondering if this would make a difference. and also, is it a unibin?

I am almost positive that it does, but I am not too sure about that one myself. You may want to visit the Doomsday website for more information. Sorry...

Guru

Dude... like I said, they will implement 3D models in the 5th beta. It is coming soon.

:D

Guru

Uh, I know what you said. I downloaded it before you found out "the 3d is not in there" and posted it. Chill. Nobodies fault, just wait for beta 5. The only thing I don't like is having to run the main app that takes bit to come up and then running the games. Would like a shortcut to to the games or universal compile to make it faster.

Uh, I know what you said. I downloaded it before you found out "the 3d is not in there" and posted it. Chill. Nobodies fault, just wait for beta 5. The only thing I don't like is having to run the main app that takes bit to come up and then running the games. Would like a shortcut to to the games or universal compile to make it faster.

Yeah... good point there, man. I like your thinking.

Guru

• 5 weeks later...

UPDATE: You can get the abandonware, Mac OS 8 version of DOOM 2 and import it into Doomsday! This particular version I guess fell out of supported status. You can get it by going to mac.the-underdogs.info. Afterwards, just open the .SIT file in StuffIT Expander and extract the DOOM2.WAD file to your Doomsday folder. Create a new profile for DOOM 2 in Doomsday, point the profile to the WAD you extracted, make any necessary changes to your configuration and enjoy!

Guru

Hey guys:

Check this sucker out! It's called the Doomsday HQ engine for DOOM. It allows you to run DOOM natively on MacOS X, Linux, and Windoze. All you need is the original DOOM game to play. The graphics are greatly enhanced thanks to a sophisticated OpenGL renderer. Doomsday also works on other titles like Hexen and Heretic. You can go to the Doomsday HQ site by clicking here. If you want, there is this abandonware site called VETUSWARE.COM that has the DOOM 1.6 Beta avalible for download. It might be more buggy than the release version, though. Happy fragging! :D

Look at this and tell me it doesn't impress you!

doom_030.jpg

:blink:

Guru

P.S. More screenshots coming soon!

it doesnt.... lol, but seriously, i play hl2 with full graphics an aa x4 etc how could that impress me??? oh and quake 4 too

Well... that's your opinion. I think it is fantastic. Doomsday actually is based on a form of the recently GPL'ed Quake III engine if I'm not mistaken.

Guru

lol i was kiddding, it looks great for doom, and especially for a game that came out so long ago... ;)