ATI Radeon 6xxx, working QE/CI

Nuphor

791 posts in this topic

i used GraphicsEnabler=n -x -v, as you suggested. can't remember if i also tried with just -x -v, but i'll do

edit: no result with -x -v, just a white flash and screens goes black/resolution error

If its just a resolution error try forcing the resolution with "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32"

If its just a resolution error try forcing the resolution with "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32"

tried, no result :)

maybe putting back in E/E the 4800 injector can help? at least to see the desktop, then i could try something more useful.. like reinstalling chamaleon, or [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]...

tried, no result :)

maybe putting back in E/E the 4800 injector can help? at least to see the desktop, then i could try something more useful.. like reinstalling chamaleon, or [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]...

Definitely worth a try!

Definitely worth a try!

great news! :)

i found the guide i used to make work the 4870, so i found the other files i added.. (there were LegacyATI4800Controller.kext and EVOenabler.kext in S/L/E), so i removed them. then once again, i placed the ati kexts from MBP 2011 disc in S/L/E and fixed permission via terminal. after booting with -f -x -v both monitor works and seem to get recognized, i see the mouse pointer and i can move it on both screens, but except for that everything is grey/white. placing the OpenGL framework should fix this? any other suggestions?

EDIT: openGL framework replaced, does the same

EDIT2: even greater news! :D

booted without options, now works! seems that my hack really hated those old kext. only problem is i don't have QE/CD: no fancy water effect when dropping widgets, no traslucent menu bar.

great news! :unsure:

i found the guide i used to make work the 4870, so i found the other files i added.. (there were LegacyATI4800Controller.kext and EVOenabler.kext in S/L/E), so i removed them. then once again, i placed the ati kexts from MBP 2011 disc in S/L/E and fixed permission via terminal. after booting with -f -x -v both monitor works and seem to get recognized, i see the mouse pointer and i can move it on both screens, but except for that everything is grey/white. placing the OpenGL framework should fix this? any other suggestions?

EDIT: openGL framework replaced, does the same

If you have a working backup or feel confident to do this without one (dont cry to me if it breaks cos it very well may) delete all of the ATI* files in system/library/extensions and all of the files in system/library/caches and then replace the ati files in system/library/extensions by using the 10.6.7 ati package from here http://www.mediafire.com/?p70i0f5pqqtwlzt

Before you resort to that can you check if you still get a white screen even if you boot with GraphicsEnabler=No -x and only have one display connected to the top dvi port?

I've only seen one other person with a 6850 have this problem and I didn't take her very seriously due to her history of winding people up with misleading posts and information.

If you have a working backup or feel confident to do this without one (dont cry to me if it breaks cos it very well may) delete all of the ATI* files in system/library/extensions and all of the files in system/library/caches and then replace the ati files in system/library/extensions by using the 10.6.7 ati package from here http://www.mediafire.com/?p70i0f5pqqtwlzt

Before you resort to that can you check if you still get a white screen even if you boot with GraphicsEnabler=No -x and only have one display connected to the top dvi port?

I've only seen one other person with a 6850 have this problem and I didn't take her very seriously due to her history of winding people up with misleading posts and information.

booting with -x gives and 1 monitor in the top dvi port gives me the white screen. graphics enabler is no in com.apple.boot.plist. without -x it works fine, except for graphical acceleration.

in a minute i try those other kexts

i cleaned S/L/Caches and installed the update, but i have no changes.

*scratches head*

EDIT: in chameleon, first line: Darwin/x86 v5.0.132 - chameleon v2.0_RC4_PCEFI-10.5_AsereBLN r

is it too old? maybe and upgate would help?

i cleaned S/L/Caches and installed the update, but i have no changes.

*scratches head*

EDIT: in chameleon, first line: Darwin/x86 v5.0.132 - chameleon v2.0_RC4_PCEFI-10.5_AsereBLN r

is it too old? maybe and upgate would help?

Make sure you have a backup or boot cd that works then try installing chameleon rc5 - I would suggest the ati experimental build from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

Just to double check something obvious - can you check the vendor and product id of your 6850?

EDIT - Hold on, did you say that without -x you can load the desktop but with no acceleration but with -x you get the white screen? You have probably done this 3 million times already so 3 million and 1 one hurt..

boot with -s

mount -uw /

cd System/Library/Extensions

chown -R 0:0 ATI*

chmod -R 755 ATI*

cd ..

cd Caches

rm -R *

reboot

vendor id = ATI (0x1002)

product id = 0x6739

i can write those commands blindfolded i think, let's try one more time :gathering:

EDIT: nothing new.

maybe something related to com.apple.Boot.plist and smbios.plist? just guessing..

does it matter that, in System Profiler, the card gets recognized as ATI Radeon HD NI40, only in Graphics/Monitor? PCI Cards says that no PCI cards are installed, but the 4870 was recognized also in this section

does it matter that, in System Profiler, the card gets recognized as ATI Radeon HD NI40, only in Graphics/Monitor? PCI Cards says that no PCI cards are installed, but the 4870 was recognized also in this section

No that's exactly what I would expect unless you are using my bootloader with GraphicsEnabler=Y

...does it matter that, in System Profiler, the card gets recognized as ATI Radeon HD NI40, only in Graphics/Monitor? PCI Cards says that no PCI cards are installed, but the 4870 was recognized also in this section

A few tips;

1.) "ATI Radeon HD NI40" will be replaced with "ATY,Duckweed" when you inject the framebuffer properties (one for each port)

2.) "ATY,Duckweed" will be replaced with "AMD Radeon 6850" when you inject a model property.

3.) You can inject device-properties in three ways:

- from your DSDT (relatively easy but a lot slower than the next option).

- by specifying device-properties in com.apple.Boot.plist (more complex but faster).

- or let the boot loader inject them for you (neat).

4.) Add Name (_SUN, One) to your GFX0 method (or whatever you called it) in your DSDT to add it to PCI Cards in System Profiler.

5.) AppleSMBIOS.kext will try to match your _SUN object with the SlotId in the SMBIOS structures, or use ATY,Duckweed when there is none, but this can easily be overridden by injecting a name (using "AAPL,slot-name").

But the best tip is to attach your IORegistryExplorer and/or ioreg dump so that Andy can help you solve this problem. But to give you a head start, read this topic because I think that you are going to need it :D

ok...

maybe, any hope with injectx method, with your ATI Fix?

I think i'd probably try updating chameleon first to kabyls ATI build (you can find it in [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]).

Do you have a spare disk laying around that you can try a clean installation on - that may give a clue as to whats going on - i.e. if there is still a troublesome kext or injector laying around somewhere then the clean build should work.

One other thing that may be worth a try is to boot to the desktop and then delete all of the ATI files from system/library/extenions and all of the files in System/Library/Caches. DO NOT REBOOT run disk utility and repair permissions DO NOT REBOOT run the ATI install package DO NOT REBOOT wait a few minutes after the install finishes and then use disk utility to repair permissions again. May be a good time to verify the disk too and check for errors - you never know!

If you get errors installing the package make a note of the message and try installing it again. If all goes ok try rebooting.

6850 and 6870's usually aren't this problematic (except if you want multiple screens working etc) - it's usually a case of install the package, reboot and job done. I guess that's why the ones that do cause a problem do it in style lol.

I think i'd probably try updating chameleon first to kabyls ATI build (you can find it in [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]).

Do you have a spare disk laying around that you can try a clean installation on - that may give a clue as to whats going on - i.e. if there is still a troublesome kext or injector laying around somewhere then the clean build should work.

One other thing that may be worth a try is to boot to the desktop and then delete all of the ATI files from system/library/extenions and all of the files in System/Library/Caches. DO NOT REBOOT run disk utility and repair permissions DO NOT REBOOT run the ATI install package DO NOT REBOOT wait a few minutes after the install finishes and then use disk utility to repair permissions again. May be a good time to verify the disk too and check for errors - you never know!

If you get errors installing the package make a note of the message and try installing it again. If all goes ok try rebooting.

6850 and 6870's usually aren't this problematic (except if you want multiple screens working etc) - it's usually a case of install the package, reboot and job done. I guess that's why the ones that do cause a problem do it in style lol.

of course :lol:

i don't have any free hard drive to try a fresh install... i will look for one but i would keep it as last resource. i tried with the above procedure, the package installed fine but i can't see any change... i also updated chamaleon to the kabyls build with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], without result.

i verified my hard drive with disk utility and it reports some errors... time to create an osx usb boot drive and i try to correct them... since obviously i currently don't have my snow leopard dvd at home :P

@Dutch: thank you for your tips, but i'm not sure i can apply them, since i don't use a custom DSDT...

@Dutch: thank you for your tips, but i'm not sure i can apply them, since i don't use a custom DSDT...

And unless you can at least boot with a single display you couldn't do them even if you decided that they were a good idea!

Regarding the disk errors can you not just select 'repair disk' from disk utility and let it get on with it?

disk utils reported that to repair the errors it was necessary to boot with an installation disc and repair from there, in the end i did that way.

BTW, seems that i'm a complete idiot :wacko: :

deleting the openGL framework and reappling it after repairing the hard drive fixed hardware acceleration!

i score 37,15 fps with Cinebench, so everything seems more than ok to me :(

anyway THANK YOU Andy for your kindness and patience!

disk utils reported that to repair the errors it was necessary to boot with an installation disc and repair from there, in the end i did that way.

BTW, seems that i'm a complete idiot :P :

deleting the openGL framework and reappling it after repairing the hard drive fixed hardware acceleration!

i score 37,15 fps with Cinebench, so everything seems more than ok to me :)

anyway THANK YOU Andy for your kindness and patience!

Excellent you got it working! :D

P.S. Your not a complete idiot by a long shot - as with most people on this thread so far you worked out the solution for yourself.

Thanks for posting back with the solution to your problem btw - that is almost certainly going to help somebody in the future when they run face first into the same wall.

In that case you can inject the properties from a custom ssdt.aml Same effect, different name.

And unless you can at least boot with a single display you couldn't do them even if you decided that they were a good idea!

I was under the impression that he could boot since he wrote: "without -x it works fine, except for graphical acceleration.".

Not to mention that the tips were only added to explain him why his card wasn't showing up in System Profiler. Not to fix the boot -x problem. BTW. I may have missed it, but can't remember him saying that that problem was fixed. Just the acceleration.

In that case you can inject the properties from a custom ssdt.aml Same effect, different name.

I think it's fairly important to stick to small simple steps without overcomplicating matters.

Once the user can boot with a single display then maybe it's time to get more adventurous if that's what they require but just for basic single display configurations this is probably over most users heads (mine included) so it may be best to concentrate on getting as many people as possible up and running on at least one display first.

BTW. I may have missed it, but can't remember him saying that that problem was fixed. Just the acceleration.

post #441

post #441

But there he only said:

And that is why I missed it. He didn't say that his boot -x problem was fixed. For me that's still unsolved. Just in case people are going to read this and think; Aha. That is easy.

@on!x What's the status on the boot -x (white screen) problem? Fixed or is that still a problem?

Bu there he only said:

And that is why I missed it. He didn't say that his boot -x problem was fixed. For me that's still unsolved. Just in case people are going to read this and think; Aha. That is easy.

@on!x What's the status on the boot -x (white screen) problem? Fixed or is that still a problem?

I give up! I really do.

6870's and 6850's really are that easy but you seem to keep going out of your way to bash heads with me :censored2:

I give up! I really do.

6870's and 6850's really are that easy but you seem to keep going out of your way to bash heads with me :unsure:

Nothing personal. All I want is a confirmation because to me it isn't clear. I'm not the one making assumptions here. I want to be able to reproduce things. That's what I do.

He simply did not confirm that the boot -x problem was solved. Not to mention that I don't see how a simple re-installation of a framework can fix this boot -x problem. I'm just curious what is going on here.

And no. I don't have anything against you. Please get that out of your system. I'm not like that. I just don't get it. That is pretty annoying, as you may well understand, and thus I want to know what happened.

Are we clear now?

..girls... always complaining.. :D

just kidding, obv. :)

about the -x flag: I still get white screen booting with that. so, i guess it's working, but not 100%. About that, if i try to launch Portal from Steam it crashes instantly. Also Geekbench shows heavy suicidal tendencies. I found it's a common problem, fixable injecting the correct framebuffer. Can I quickly convince my hack to use Duckweed? :(

Hi Andy, just a quick question for you.

Are you using the AnVal fork of chameleon for your ati.c and other modifications, or another branch? I guess the main reason I ask is, does your boot file work fine with sandy bridge setups with no real set backs?

Thanks for your awesome work mate.

Hi Andy, just a quick question for you.

Are you using the AnVal fork of chameleon for your ati.c and other modifications, or another branch? I guess the main reason I ask is, does your boot file work fine with sandy bridge setups with no real set backs?

Thanks for your awesome work mate.

It's based on AnVal's sandy bridge branch however I have merged in Kabyls ATI code.