ATI Radeon 6xxx, working QE/CI

Nuphor

791 posts in this topic

Hi everybody, i had a 4870 wich used to work perfectly with snow leopard... unfortunatly the card died, so i bought a Sapphire 6850, reading that it was compatible with hackintosh. You can see the rest of the configuration in my signature.

With a little of trouble and replacing some ATI kexts the 6850 kinda works, with some problems.. i have no QE/CL and resolution is stuck at 1400x1050. Also, i use two monitors (a DVI and a VGA), but they don't get recognised.

Quiet curiosly, System Profiler still shows the 4870...

here is my com.apple.boot.plist, hope it helps:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386 PCIRootUID=1</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1680x1050x32</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>AtiConfig</key>

<string>Duckweed</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<key>Legacy Logo</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

</plist>

maybe i should try another framework? which one?

thank you

I want to say, I have need of Kext additional, or the 10.6.7 see this card natively

:) Thank's

You need the kexts from the early 2011 mbp 10.6.7 update - the standard 10.6.7 update doesn't contain the ATI6000Controller.kext as far as I am aware.

Hi everybody, i had a 4870 wich used to work perfectly with snow leopard... unfortunatly the card died, so i bought a Sapphire 6850, reading that it was compatible with hackintosh. You can see the rest of the configuration in my signature.

With a little of trouble and replacing some ATI kexts the 6850 kinda works, with some problems.. i have no QE/CL and resolution is stuck at 1400x1050. Also, i use two monitors (a DVI and a VGA), but they don't get recognised.

Quiet curiosly, System Profiler still shows the 4870...

here is my com.apple.boot.plist, hope it helps:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386 PCIRootUID=1</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1680x1050x32</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>AtiConfig</key>

<string>Duckweed</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<key>Legacy Logo</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

</plist>

maybe i should try another framework? which one?

thank you

Did you edit your dsdt or something for the 4870 (or use ATY_Init or something similar) ?

Something must be hanging around from your old setup if system profiler is showing the card as a 4870 still.

Additionally if you have graphicsenabler set to no then there is no point specifying a framebuffer via AtiConfig because it wont get loaded. If you want to specify the framebuffer you have to enable the graphicsenabler.

:)

But I must replace with those which I find in extension, or not?

Yes you must replace your current ATI kexts in System/Library/Extensions with the new ones from the 2011 mbp 10.6.7 update. You can either use kext utility to install them from the zip file on page 3 of this thread or you can use my graphics update package from the bottom of page 6 from this very same thread!

Make sure you have a system backup before you start because I hate seeing grown men cry!

Yes you must replace your current ATI kexts in System/Library/Extensions with the new ones from the 2011 mbp 10.6.7 update. You can either use kext utility to install them from the zip file on page 3 of this thread or you can use my graphics update package from the bottom of page 6 from this very same thread!

Make sure you have a system backup before you start because I hate seeing grown men cry!

I have istalled this package, but one blocked to the restart on the apple… I must use an other Chamaleon, or I must remove grafic enabler?

Sorry for my bad english... :)

I have istalled this package, but one blocked to the restart on the apple… I must use an other Chamaleon, or I must remove grafic enabler?

Sorry for my bad english... :)

Reinstall the version of chameleon that you had before installing the package. That should fix it but if it doeasn;t then boot with -v and see where it is hanging.

Your english is fine by the way (I don't know a second language so I would never be in a position to criticise!).

Reinstall the version of chameleon that you had before installing the package. That should fix it but if it doeasn;t then boot with -v and see where it is hanging.

Your english is fine by the way (I don't know a second language so I would never be in a position to criticise!).

Which Chamaleon to use ?

r750?

I use 750 yes, but you should install whichever bootloader that you had installed prior to installing my package.

That should at least repair your startup problem.

I use 748...and geekbench don't works and don't works DVD , but use grafic enabler no

reinstall r748 first and make sure that you can at least boot back to the desktop (take it one step at a time).

Ok...i've reinstalled chamaleon r750...and after I must install yours package?

I will make you to know if the geekbench works

Ok...i've reinstalled chamaleon r750...and after I must install yours package?

I will make you to know if the geekbench works

NO NO - Do NOT reinstall the package - just make sure that you can boot first!

Of course...after reboot i reinstall your package...I had already understood

NO DO NOT REINSTALL THE PACKAGE AT ALL!

If you have already installed the package the relevant kext files are already installed however the package also overwrites the boot file. In your case you could no longer boot when using that boot file so the idea behind getting you to reinstall whichever bootloader you had originally is to fix that problem. Once that's fixed we can progress but if you run the package again it will just overwrite your boot file again and we will end up back at the start!

Did you edit your dsdt or something for the 4870 (or use ATY_Init or something similar) ?

Something must be hanging around from your old setup if system profiler is showing the card as a 4870 still.

Additionally if you have graphicsenabler set to no then there is no point specifying a framebuffer via AtiConfig because it wont get loaded. If you want to specify the framebuffer you have to enable the graphicsenabler.

i was thinking the same, so i gave a look in /Extra/Extensions and there was the old ATI4xxx injector, i removed it. onestly, i don't remember the precise steps to make the 4870 work, so i'm not sure if there is somenthing else to change, but i've got no edited dsdt.

i set graphic enabler to yes, let's see what happens..

NO DO NOT REINSTALL THE PACKAGE AT ALL!

If you have already installed the package the relevant kext files are already installed however the package also overwrites the boot file. In your case you could no longer boot when using that boot file so the idea behind getting you to reinstall whichever bootloader you had originally is to fix that problem. Once that's fixed we can progress but if you run the package again it will just overwrite your boot file again and we will end up back at the start!

Now i am confused...for first thing I must install the package or not?

i was thinking the same, so i gave a look in /Extra/Extensions and there was the old ATI4xxx injector, i removed it. onestly, i don't remember the precise steps to make the 4870 work, so i'm not sure if there is somenthing else to change, but i've got no edited dsdt.

i set graphic enabler to yes, let's see what happens..

Dont forget you need to rebuild the extensions.mkext after deleting that kext

Now i am confused...for first thing I must install the package or not?

You have already installed the package.

You then could not boot.

You reinstalled your original bootloader.

You can now boot.

The kexts installed from the package are still installed so do not run package again (it will break your bootloader if all of the above is true).

noob question: how do i do that? is it the ordinary repair-permission-thing?

btw, i disabled graphic enabler, with it i don't ever get to the apple-logo-spinning-thing screen, system just hangs.

now i rebooted, after the loading screen the vga monitor show an error message about unsupported resolution, the DVI one goes to standby, but the system seems to load just fine: the audiocard turns on, the hard drive works a bit.

the only thing i miss from your guide in page 3 is to repair disk permission, 'cause a don't have a SL bootable usb... anyway to fix it via terminal? may it be just that?

thank you

EDIT: on windows i've got MacDrive8, may it be of any help?

noob question: how do i do that? is it the ordinary repair-permission-thing?

btw, i disabled graphic enabler, with it i don't ever get to the apple-logo-spinning-thing screen, system just hangs.

now i rebooted, after the loading screen the vga monitor show an error message about unsupported resolution, the DVI one goes to standby, but the system seems to load just fine: the audiocard turns on, the hard drive works a bit.

the only thing i miss from your guide in page 3 is to repair disk permission, 'cause a don't have a SL bootable usb... anyway to fix it via terminal? may it be just that?

thank you

EDIT: on windows i've got MacDrive8, may it be of any help?

to rebuild the extensions.mkext just double click kext utility if you have it installed and let it do a full service (ooh err).

If you can't get to your desktop try booting with -x

You have already installed the package.

You then could not boot.

You reinstalled your original bootloader.

You can now boot.

The kexts installed from the package are still installed so do not run package again (it will break your bootloader if all of the above is true).

Ok..now work..but does not work a door dvi, has need of the frame buffer?