iMac 7,1 (early 2007) 2600HD

2 posts in this topic

I recently inherited a 2007 iMac 24" with ATI 2600HD Pro GPU. I understand the only way you can use an iMac as a monitor is to have a late 2009 model.

However, I'm wondering if there is an external box I could use to use it as a monitor. I have a PC workstation that is a powerhouse and I'd like to use both. However, I don't want to have two independent large monitors on my desk if I'm only able to use 1 or the other.

Ideally, I'd like to use the iMac as a monitor for the PC but would also like to have the ability to switch it to the iMac display itself (like a KVM).

Is there a hardware solution that would allow this? Perhaps a firewire graphics interface that would allow my iMac to function as a monitor (because the Mini DisplayPort is not an input at least that's my understanding).

Perhaps I have some misinformation or if there is a hardware solution I'd like to hear it.

Thanks,

JOe K.

• 4 months later...
I recently inherited a 2007 iMac 24" with ATI 2600HD Pro GPU. I understand the only way you can use an iMac as a monitor is to have a late 2009 model.

However, I'm wondering if there is an external box I could use to use it as a monitor. I have a PC workstation that is a powerhouse and I'd like to use both. However, I don't want to have two independent large monitors on my desk if I'm only able to use 1 or the other.

Ideally, I'd like to use the iMac as a monitor for the PC but would also like to have the ability to switch it to the iMac display itself (like a KVM).

Is there a hardware solution that would allow this? Perhaps a firewire graphics interface that would allow my iMac to function as a monitor (because the Mini DisplayPort is not an input at least that's my understanding).

Perhaps I have some misinformation or if there is a hardware solution I'd like to hear it.

Thanks,

JOe K.

Hey Joe,

I've seen a usb vga output unit but it, like the displayport, is output not input.

You might want to consider using VNC to login to your PC from the iMac and view it on the iMac screen that way.

Same result, 2 computers - 1 screen, toggle back and forth.

There's a discussion of it here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=50811

SeeYa - George