DirectX 10

4 posts in this topic

I'm thinking about building a new computer in the coming weeks. I don't need the absolute top of the line performance, but I'd like to get the most for my dollar. I was thinking about some kind of Radeon X1800 PCI-E card, but DirectX 10 concerns me. I don't play games as much as I once did, but every once in a while they're still great fun. My question is, if I bought a current generation DX9 card today would it be compatible with the DX10 games of tomorrow? I'm not sure if this is something that a mere driver update could fix. If in fact DX10 cards will be completely different it seems like a good idea to hold for a while before building a new system.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

My DX8 Geforce 4 Ti, handles 90% of the games reasonably well. Pixel Shaders v2 games dont run, but 90% of the games run. So a powerful 7800 with HDR shoulf be enough for all your DX10 needs.

Infact the only games that donot run, that I have are GRAW and Battlefield 2. Everything else works in medium to high quality.

• 2 weeks later...

If you really wan't to wait.. you could build everything and just buy a cheep x1300 and upgrade to the dx10 compatible card once they ship and come down in price.