ACPI Backlight Display driver

hotKoffy

31 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
Now I'm using YOUR dsdt, and even then the display doesn't bind.

Suggestions?

I'm using hotKoffy dsdt and i can change backlight with the hotkeys. brightness bar doesn't work.

I'm getting cmos reset every time I dim up or down the backlight. It doesn't fix this issue right?

thanks

I'm using hotKoffy dsdt and i can change backlight with the hotkeys. brightness bar doesn't work.

I'm getting cmos reset every time I dim up or down the backlight. It doesn't fix this issue right?

thanks

If you don't have the sun bar, it means your have not installed the driver, so backlight is still controlled by bios. When the driver works, it can dim the display before slip and reduce brightness on battery.

To avoid the cmos reset, put the brightness to max before reboot. There is not problem if you shutdown.

Ookay, Hotkoffy. This has gone mostly beyond my stack of knowledge, and I'm relying on you pretty blindly. :unsure:

I've corrected my DSDT, but that doesn't change anything. Now I'm using YOUR DSDT, and the problem still persists.

This is my 'ioreg | grep display' output:

| |   |	 +-o NVDA,Display-A@0  <class IONDRVDevice, id 0x1000002d9, regi$
 | |   |	 |   +-o display0  <class IODisplayConnect, id 0x10000039c, regi$
 | |   |	 |   | +-o AppleBacklightDisplay  <class AppleBacklightDisplay, $
 | |   |	 +-o NVDA,Display-B@1  <class IONDRVDevice, id 0x1000002da, regi$
 | +-o IODisplayWrangler  <class IODisplayWrangler, id 0x100000121, register$

Is the kext loaded? Is "Apple Backlight Display" what we're looking for? Uhh....

Also, I have an AppleBacklight.kext in /S/L/E. If I remove that, the Function keys (for brightness) stop showing anything at all.

Just to recap, my issue is this: The kext WORKS, but partially. It displays the little sun symbol when I press Fn+Brightness, but there are no white bars that increase or decrease. And the brightness slider in SysPrefs is always at max.

I didn't pay attention to your ioreg before. The driver is not loaded. It can happen if it not installed properly. Did you use Kext Utility ? Simpy drop the kext on it.

If you don't have the sun bar, it means your have not installed the driver, so backlight is still controlled by bios. When the driver works, it can dim the display before slip and reduce brightness on battery.

To avoid the cmos reset, put the brightness to max before reboot. There is not problem if you shutdown.

The sun appears and the bar goes up and down correctly, the bar that I'm talking about is on the display config panel, where the resolution can be changed. The bar appears but don't do anything.

btw, i forgot to say a huge thank you for this driver. the 1201n is the best hackintosh i've ever had.

cheers.

• 2 months later...
Last update: 16 july 2011

This driver provides native backlight management for laptops with backlight managed by ACPI : slider in the display pref pane and sun bezel when you press backlight up/down hotkey (with an other driver than can understand your keyboard Fn keys...)

Install it in S/L/E (with Kext Utility or similar !)

Tested in i386 and x86_64.

Minimum system version 10.6.5 - Max 10.6.7

IOGraphicsFamily changed in 10.6.8, the driver could not be loaded. The code has to be updated, certainly making inheritance from IODisplay which seems to be stable.

Now that Mac OS X Lion is out, could you please provide the driver ACPIBacklightDisplay.kext for Lion.

• 3 weeks later...