Intel HD Graphics / i7 2600

diddl14

154 posts in this topic

Is anyone else here trying to get the build-in graphics of an i5/i7 Sandy Bridge CPU working (2xxx, H67 chipset)?

Doesn't look like there is solution yet so I would like to compile what doesn't work.

Not working:

- latest MacPro kext's

Not yet tried:

- latest 10.6.7 combo update

- Lion kext

Has anyone the these yet or can think about what might be worth a try?

Is anyone else here trying to get the build-in graphics of an i5/i7 Sandy Bridge CPU working (2xxx, H67 chipset)?

Doesn't look like there is solution yet so I would like to compile what doesn't work.

Not working:

- latest MacPro kext's

Not yet tried:

- latest 10.6.7 combo update

- Lion kext

Has anyone the these yet or can think about what might be worth a try?

yes it's been tried, it's here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=223754 check 19.

removing AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB,AppleIntelHDGraphicsGA.plugin, from 10.6.7 gives me transparent menu, and screensavers which were not working work but with big distortion, lines, that happens also when i turn on cam on msn and ichat, but not with photobooth. there is distortion/lines also when opening finder. overall a little better screen than the previous no kexts loaded from 10.6.6 in system profiler.

i'm thinking, i mean just a thought, it could be because the snow leopard is not picking the size of the screen thats why we get black screen when booting with all the kexts installed.

my laptop is samsung with optimus intel hd and nvidia m310 i5. i say if ur going to do a work share in the link above, if u modified something. good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm working on this. My current status is I have the 2011 MBP 10.6.7 update installed (on an Asus K53E) and it boots with nawcom's latest Legacy kernel, but the GUI does not appear on screen. The console graphics get corrupted at the top of the screen and then if I press the power button and hit enter to shut down I see the power down messages on the console and that's it.

mehdymehdy, when you leave all kexts in place does it boot or KP?

I'm planning on working on a Chameleon patch, but I have a lot to learn about ACPI.

Apple has just released their unified kernel and kexts for Sandy Bridge graphics in the form of Lion Developer Preview 2, so that could be a significant development.

edit: I posted on my progress in the other thread

I´ve installed Lion DP2, using intel HD3000 but no QE/CI.

With 10.6.7 and macbook update the system hangs with "snb framebuffer did not show up, unload".

I have QE/CI working with 10.6.7.

Did you grab my customized bootloader from here?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1666019

You might want to read my other posts in that thread as well.

Ok still testing, 10.6.7 (with macbook update) with Lion DP2 kexts + iopcifamily and bootloader is ok but without qe/ci and can not change resolution. The Appleintelsnbfb.kext is loaded.

I'm convinced this is because 10.6.7 doesn't have the OpenGL framework files that are assumed to be present by the SNB kexts. And there's such a big difference between SL and Lion that copying over frameworks will probably never work.

I recommend trying with only 10.6.7 MBP update files. I didn't get it working until I gave up on using stuff from Lion.

Clean install with 10.6.7 macbook pro update + boot + iopcifamily.kext + appleintelsnbgraphicsfb.kext with dev id 01128086 I get "buffer pool allocate failed" when I try to load Appleintelsnbgraphics.kext. I also changed gfx0 to igpu in the dsdt.

Clean install with 10.6.7 macbook pro update + boot + iopcifamily.kext + appleintelsnbgraphicsfb.kext with dev id 01128086 I get "buffer pool allocate failed" when I try to load Appleintelsnbgraphics.kext. I also changed gfx0 to igpu in the dsdt.

I believe you are close. I always get this error, but things are working well. After loading the SNBGraphicsFB kext you should load AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext and then exit single user.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you made any new progress with this?

thanks,

g\

appleintelhd.kext and AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kextits loading in ex info. but still no kext loaded.

• 2 weeks later...
No, I´m stuck at this point.... :(

See post 685 on This Thread

I'll copy the important part here:

I can confirm this working on a laptop with generic parts and an i7 2630QM Sandy Bridge CPU (Intel HD 3000). These are the steps that I took:

1) Using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Legacy, install from a retail 10.6.3 OSX disk

2) Upgrade to 10.6.6 using the combo update. Restart

3) Make a copy of /System/Library/IOPCIFamily.kext (put it someplace safe)

4) Upgrade to 10.6.7 using the MacbookPro Early 2011 updater (see http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/03/mac...arly-2011.html)

-- 4.1) I installed Easy Beast (DSDT free) and then updated the bootloader to AnVAL (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=216726) and then did a cp -R /Volume/[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]/Extra /Extra before updating the smbios.plist and editing the System Information - This results in the use of the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] kernel and extensions

-- 4.2) Don't reboot after upgrading to 10.6.7

5) Copy back the 10.6.6 IOPCIFamily.kext, replacing the one that was just updated (you may want to place this in your /Extra/Extensions folder and delete the one in the /System/Library folder). This was necessary for me because of lock-ups in the boot process where the log shows "[ PCI configuration begin ]" messages.

6) Install Kyle_C's bootloader

7) Reboot - FULL QE/CI on HD 3000, 2630QM i7 SandyBridge

-- I have also experienced some occasional short lockups with the cursor, as Kyle_C has - the legacy kernel that came with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 3.0, with no DSDT. Looking for a solution to that, to my wireless (AzureWave AW-NB057H) and about to checkout the sound card. Any solutions for the wireless or occasional freezes of the trackpad are welcome.

I finally got around to experimenting with the different properties included in this Chameleon patch for HD Graphics 2000 and 3000 support. It turned out that the only one actually required (for me, at least) is 'AAPL,os-info'. Here is a new version of the patch that sets that property only, to the same value as the MacbookPro8,1. I have also added the PCI ids of desktop Sandy Bridge processors, and removed a bug that made the previous boot file only work for a single PCI id anyway.

I'm not sure yet, but I think this may have also solved the problem of those occasional brief hangs.

The patch is against the latest valv branch of Chameleon. If you use the compiled 'boot' file, be sure that the boot0 written to your MBR and the boot1h written to your SL partition are this same version of Chameleon. I have no idea what happens when you mix and match different versions of Chameleon boot stages.

valv_snb_hd2000_3000.zip

I finally got around to experimenting with the different properties included in this Chameleon patch for HD Graphics 2000 and 3000 support. It turned out that the only one actually required (for me, at least) is 'AAPL,os-info'. Here is a new version of the patch that sets that property only, to the same value as the MacbookPro8,1. I have also added the PCI ids of desktop Sandy Bridge processors, and removed a bug that made the previous boot file only work for a single PCI id anyway.

My problem is that these boot loaders are not recognizing my mobile i7 processor (2630QM), nor my ram (it sees my ddr3 1333 as ddr2 800). This prevents me from being able to boot into the sandy bridge kernel, and I am not sure exactly where to start to get this issue resolved. Ideas? I am quite comfortable jumping into the code, but I have no idea where to start.

I'm not sure yet, but I think this may have also solved the problem of those occasional brief hangs.

The patch is against the latest valv branch of Chameleon. If you use the compiled 'boot' file, be sure that the boot0 written to your MBR and the boot1h written to your SL partition are this same version of Chameleon. I have no idea what happens when you mix and match different versions of Chameleon boot stages.

Well, I replaced my AnVAL "boot" file with your patched "boot" file, without bothering to modify the bootsectors (boot0hfs, boot1h), and it worked without a problem.

This is my PCI dump:

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller [8086:0104] (rev 09)

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0116] (rev 09)

00:16.0 Communication controller [0780]: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 [8086:1c3a] (rev 04)

00:1a.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 [8086:1c2d] (rev 05)

00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller [8086:1c20] (rev 05)

00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 [8086:1c10] (rev b5)

00:1c.1 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 [8086:1c12] (rev b5)

00:1d.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 [8086:1c26] (rev 05)

00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation HM65 Express Chipset Family LPC Controller [8086:1c49] (rev 05)

00:1f.2 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family 6 port SATA AHCI Controller [8086:1c03] (rev 05)

00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller [8086:1c22] (rev 05)

00:1f.6 Signal processing controller [1180]: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family Thermal Management Controller [8086:1c24] (rev 05)

02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter [10ec:8176] (rev 01)

04:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller [10ec:8168] (rev 06)

I need to get my processor and ram/pci bus recognized so that I can boot into the sandy bridge kernel. Ideas?

New thread Here For Sandy Bridge HM65 Laptops. Your boot loader makes this possible.

My problem is that these boot loaders are not recognizing my mobile i7 processor (2630QM), nor my ram (it sees my ddr3 1333 as ddr2 800). This prevents me from being able to boot into the sandy bridge kernel, and I am not sure exactly where to start to get this issue resolved. Ideas? I am quite comfortable jumping into the code, but I have no idea where to start.

You mean that it works with a legacy kernel but not with a vanilla kernel for Sandy Bridge? I have the same problem. In fact I get an instant reboot without seeing any messages from the kernel at all. How do you know that you're having problems with the ram- that's interesting.

My only idea at the moment is to try the kernel from the new 10.6.7 2011 iMac update. So I'm downloading that now.

update: just tried it and I got no change. The kernel is not the same as the MBP one, but it is the exact same size which does seem to suggest that they are very similar.

You mean that it works with a legacy kernel but not with a vanilla kernel for Sandy Bridge? I have the same problem. In fact I get an instant reboot without seeing any messages from the kernel at all. How do you know that you're having problems with the ram- that's interesting.

Kyle_C,

Would it be possible to apply your patch to the new branch of chameleon called chimera? its one that is supported by tonymacx86 site. That bootloader is doing proper RAM and CPU identification for Sandy Bridge. But as far as i know does not contain any support for hd2000/3000 yet.

Thanks,

g\

Kyle_C,

Would it be possible to apply your patch to the new branch of chameleon called chimera? its one that is supported by tonymacx86 site. That bootloader is doing proper RAM and CPU identification for Sandy Bridge. But as far as i know does not contain any support for hd2000/3000 yet.

It turns out Chimera doesn't work for me, because of the problem described here:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=118&t=18994

But porting this over was no problem. Here is the new boot file (this change doesn't affect the other 2 files). I haven't really been able to test this, but before my system reboots on me I can see that the code added with this patch is being run.

update: my system works with Chimera but only with arch=i386. The compiled boot file attached to this post is tested, working.

chimera_hd2000_3000.zip

update: my system works with Chimera but only with arch=i386. The compiled boot file attached to this post is tested, working.

Awesome, can't wait to play around with this. Also any chance i can get a copy of your DSDT? i have never gotten anywhere as close to you guys getting the IGP to work and i think one of the primary differences is you have a laptop and i am trying to get this working on a desktop. but maybe some of the puzzle can be solved by comparing DSDT.

Thanks!

g\

Keep in mind that until post 16 of this thread I hadn't added the desktop PCI ids. makolet's instructions are still excellent, but if you followed them before I made that change it wouldn't have worked for you.

The DSDT probably wouldn't be the first thing I would suspect to cause issues, but it could be. You're welcome to take a look.

DSDT.aml.zip

many, many thanks,

and to confirm then, the latest bootloader you posted here based on chimera will inject for the desktop PCI ids correct?

According to another post it seems it would be all of these:

card 0x0102 "Desktop HD Graphics 2000"

card 0x0106 "Mobile HD Graphics 2000"

card 0x010A "Server HD Graphics 2000"

card 0x0112 "Desktop HD Graphics 3000"

card 0x0116 "Mobile HD Graphics 3000"

card 0x0122 "Desktop HD Graphics 3000+"

card 0x0126 "Mobile HD Graphics 3000+"

Is that correct? And then i would still just need to patch the kexts with the correct PCI ID as well?

Finally, is it needed to set graphicsenabler=yes?

Thanks,

g\