Hard-Drive Fail after opening norton partition magic

Noam AA

1 post in this topic

so, when i first got into the osx project, i didn't know much about mac.

so i had kind of hard disk crashes over the past few months and i think i found out one of the causes

so, as i said i had 3 crashes of my osx drive (i have 3, one for win, one for stuff, and one for osx)

at first, something like 2-3 month back, i opened norton partition magic on windows, and it showed me the osx partition as BAD.

i didn't do ANYTHING in the program, and after a restart, i wasn't able to boot to osx again.

when trying to load this partition to backup things (with another osx on another drive) i got error message about the drive, and i must initialize it. been frustrated at that time, i wasn't saw any other option, so i started all over again,

last week, i've experienced another crash on this disk, but this was because of a hard reset

it was weird, when i did the hard reset, the osx boot screen came up but with a strange "progress bar" under the loading circle. but the progress bar was stuck on the middle for almost an hour, without booting

so i run to my other osx partition to see if anything lost, guess what, error message.

this time, i went to windows, and installed macdrive.

walla!, i was able to backup almost everything i needed, only 2 errors.

next day, after doing all the installation over again.

i bought a sata to usb connector to make use of a 500 GB HD i have here sitting for backups

so in the beginning osx didn't recognized it so i went to windows to see what's wrong

about the recognizing, it was my fault, something with the connections.

but when was on windows (before i knew about the my fault connections) i opened once again partition magic and guess what, same all problem, it bricked something in the hard disk just by opening the program ("still waiting for root device)

this time, i went to macdrive on windows and it was the only app recognized my drive(and even when chacking the drive ehre is no error, and successfully moved everything from this drive, osx on other hand gives error right away)

i really hate norton, don't know why i still have this app on my pc. just warning, and please, if you have anything to share, if you came across this problem, know how to fix if anything like this happened please share

thanks