Mac Pro or Powermac?

24 posts in this topic

I would go with the Mac Pro. I love the G5, it's a great machine, but now it's practically obselete. PPC processors are phased out, they don't sell a damn one (except for refurbs). ON thte Mac Pro you can dual boot Windows, to run a game (Gaming performance is probably much better).

I don't think that they will only release Intel code for at least another year or two. They would lose a lot that way.

Why the HELL would you think of getting a G5? The Mac Pro is moer powerful (benchmarks show this), cheaper, plus you are on intel and can dual boot XP if you need to game or something and over time the PPC's will be worthless when the move from PPC is complete.

That's not quite true AND you know it. While the Mac Pro is fastre, it isn't as fast as you're trying to imply.

[Mod edited]

I dont see that he's implying anything. All of his statements are 100% true, assuming the purchase of two brand new stock configurations.

"The Mac Pro is moer[sic] powerful (benchmarks show this)" - Even if it gets one more point in xbench or cinebench, that becomes a factual statement.

Of course, if someone's buying a used G5 for like $1500, that's probably a better deal, except where will he be in two years?

[Mod edited]

:)

I'd just like to point out that an Ad Hominim attack is when someone says "You're wrong because you're stupid".

It is not an ad hominim attack when someone says "You're wrong, and that makes you stupid".

By the end of the year we're likely to see quad-core chips for the Power Mac... so if you can it might be worth your wait. Plus, FB-DIMM RAM is likely to be cheaper by that point (due to a greater supply, more competition, etc).

Ok fine mods, I understand No Fighting but Moose starts alot and he needs termperarily banned. He has attacked me in more than one thread. I will keep my comments to myself, but don't just edit post please, disapline(spelling?) him.

On topic, the G5 will never dual boot Windows and since the code is going Intel, G5's are just about worthless.

it would mostly be used for video editing with FCP.

At this point, the only good reason to get a G5 is having performance critical softwarehat has not yet been "ported" to x86. Otherwise, you are certainly better off building a Core 2 Duo hackintosh for about $1k or getting the "standard" Mac Pro for $2.5k (a sweet deal). You could also get a 2 GHz Mac Pro for about $2k, but if your wallet is that tight you should probably just build yourself a hackintosh instead.

Maybe, maybe not. I mean the Universal code is bloated but needed now. In the future, streamlining and thining the code out to Intel only is what is needed. I mean some patches are almost twice as big with Universal code. I think realisiticly, 2 years is pushing PowerPC usuability. I may be wrong.