using darwin x86 and pearpc-components to get tiger x86 work

brotproblem

5 posts in this topic

hi there!

i know im new to this forum, but i am very interested in getting osx onto my intel.

FYI, i've completed my installation of Darwin 8.0.1 (with 8.1.0 upgrade) on my machine, specs:

Celeron 2.66 @ ASUS P4C800-E

1024 MB RAM

NVIDIA Quadro 4

Some issues:

- can't change the keymap to DE

- got framebuffer, but the nvidia kext won't load

- inserting a plain Tiger Install-DVD (for ppc) results in not be able to mount it ("permission" denied as ROOT), nor ejecting the dvd

- copying the DVD-Files to an iPod works, and i'm able to mount it (connected via USB)

As i got some real ppc-machines here i was wondering if the binaries on the ppc-tiger are already universal binaries, so i've checked them using "file". please correct me if this command is unusuable for checking wether the binaries are universal. but for now, all binaries on my iBook (including the iLife '05) are ppc.

so, now for my idea:

the problem ist that we don't have the x86-bins, just the underlying system. how about the idea of using some parts of pearpc to get the ppc-binaries working with x86-Darwin?

as pearpc provides a complete virtual machine it is rather slow, but if someone can rewrite the code we may have something like a kext that would translate the ppc into x86-code. and as darwin is already in native x86, the execution shhould be much faster.

would it be possible?

Brotproblem

PS: sorry for my bad english

• 4 weeks later...

Theoretically, if I were to boot into PearPC with Mac OSX 10.4, then mount the developer DVD and install it onto another .img, is there any way to take that .img file and restore it to an HFS+ formatted hard drive using the Darwin boot CD?

I'm planning to install Tiger-x86 with my PowerBook on an external firewire drive, then attach the drive to my PC, if it fails to boot at least I'll have more files to copy to the Darwin instalation.