CI, QE, and Daily Hackintoshery

PGHammer

2 posts in this topic

It's known that several applications (especially on the high end) won't work at all without support for CoreImage and QuartzExtreme (CI/QE). However, there's been little talk about the benefits to plain old daily Hackintoshery to having these two components working.

1. Web browsing, and especially Flash content. As is the case with the other major desktops (Linux and Windows), Flash (regardless of the client in use) requires hardware-acceleration to work properly - for OS X, that means CI/QE.

2. Casual gaming. More and more casual games require hardware acceleration - in and out of the Web browser. That's just as true in OS X as it is in other graphical desktops.

3. FrontRow and Dashboard. While the signature Dock doesn't require CI/QE, the Dashboard and FrontRow both do.

4. iTunes. It's not the audio side, but the video side, and those free video podcasts in particular. Video in iTunes means QuickTime's MP4 format, which requires hardware acceleration to work properly.

5. iDVD. This utility just plain won't work without CI/QE.

I thought I'd bring this up as someone that went from *not* having CI/QE support to having support for both.

Yes it's a problem don't have QE/CI. The only thing that I can say you is that older versions of Flash doesn't use QE/CI and Leopard (10.5) it's supposed to use less QE/CI in their applications.