*nix O/S that feels polished like OSX?

glassJAw

35 posts in this topic

I would love to try PC-BSD, but there is not NTFS-3G support and I really don't want to abadon my hard drive..

well, you could just use the gparted live cd to repartition it and give pc-bsd a home, and everything else on that ntfs, or you could just reformat, and i think that you might be able to use the 3g in the linux compatability layer, pc-bsd supports native ntfs read, but no write.....

max

What O/S feels most polished to you guys? I want to try it again but I'm unsure.

Anyone get successful ATI drivers with 3d accel. or at least widescreen support?

Thanks.

The ATI driver works great if you follow one these guides (first upgrade your kernel via automatic updates):

Ubuntu: Ubuntu_Dapper_Installation_Guide#Method_2

Suse 10.1: http://angelicpenguins.blogspot.com/2006/0...i-cards-on.html

I would say Ubuntu. I was a huge SuSE fan (they were the best at hw recognision and the first to use ALSA in their kernel tree, and now Xen), but in my experiences SuSE has been too unstable. Even now with XGL, in SuSE it just crashed, while on Ubuntu I can make it work (Radeon 7500 mobility).

I find Ubuntu (+Gnome) to be polished (if you want) and very productive. Even more than Mac OS ...

• 3 weeks later...
Just wondering but would XGL work with say an intel 852/855 graphics chipset?

Yes, it works. Take a look at "AIXGL". It has open-source graphics drivers for the Intel chips built in. Had Ubuntu running with XGL on my Laptop with 855 chip.

• 4 weeks later...
Yes, it works. Take a look at "AIXGL". It has open-source graphics drivers for the Intel chips built in. Had Ubuntu running with XGL on my Laptop with 855 chip.

It's spelled AIGLX.

Try Fedora Core 6. I'm hating myself every second I type this sentence, but it uses recent versions of GNOME, GTK+ and X (with AIGLX, of course), which basically all conspire to make things look... well, not super-polished, but good.

Hi,

dreamlinux uses a window manager that looks almost identical to os x. and i'm sure you'd be able to use the 3g ntfs drivers in it too.

here are some screenies : http://www.dreamlinux.com.br/english/saiba-screen.html

as for the drivers, depending on what card you have, you can just go to the ati website and download the linux drivers and install them. if you install them manually you can even get xgl running.

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default...amp;folderID=27

goodluck,

Dragon

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really surprised nobody has mentioned Freespire. It's the community driven version of Linspire which even CNR is free now. It runs very well, and is so far my favorite. It only takes about 10 minutes to install too!! XGL does run pretty decent on Intel 855 in my gateway M320 laptop. Just go here and check it out. You wont be disappointed.

I had Ubuntu running fine with XGL and my old Rad 9800 pro, not tried it recently though. I've got Slack 11.0 that I need to play with soon, not even tried it out yet - too wrapped up in OSx86!

For some eye-candy goodness, try LookingGlass from Sun. I d/l'ed a live CD a few months ago - it's pretty far out, got some great features, and impresses the hell out of Windoze devotees.

I had Ubuntu running fine with XGL and my old Rad 9800 pro, not tried it recently though. I've got Slack 11.0 that I need to play with soon, not even tried it out yet - too wrapped up in OSx86!

For some eye-candy goodness, try LookingGlass from Sun. I d/l'ed a live CD a few months ago - it's pretty far out, got some great features, and impresses the hell out of Windoze devotees.

lookingglass is great, i had it on one of my oss (i think i had it on windows, because it didnt replace the shell, it ran as a program, but that was when it was very alpha) i wonder how that will stack up against xgl :(

and joe75 i hope the buyout of ati by amd will spur some more... emm... serious linux drivers (and maybe some bsd ones too :D but id settle for some good linux ones too)

max

i hope the buyout of ati by amd will spur some more... emm... serious linux drivers (and maybe some bsd ones too :D but id settle for some good linux ones too)

max

There getting better, and XGL has been updating :(

Theres still hope :D