P5N-E SLI Boot-132

TheFuzzball

9 posts in this topic

I have succeeded in installing getting Snow Leopard running on my P5N-E SLI motherboard with the following specs:

Asus P5N-E SLI => ALC883 audio, nForceLAN for Gigabit LAN, USB supported natively

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz

8GB DDR2 800MHz

IDE ODD

SATA HDD (1x250GB,1x500GB)

nVidia 7300SE GPU

The Kexts included all support 64-bit mode, however, because my GPU is not supported by the 64-bit kernel I can't use it.

If you have another GPU (e.g. Radeon 5770) then you should be good to go.

The attached archive contains:

DSDT (patched: CMOS bug, VMWare Fusion slowness)

Boot.plist

smbios.plist

Extensions (sorted into /E/E and /S/L/E folders)

Chameleon RC5 (compiled from trunk)

Steps:

Download the boot-132 disk, burn it to a CD

Boot from the CD, eject it and insert the retail disk.

Press F5 to refresh the list of devices and boot from the retail disk

Install OS X, boot from it using the Boot-132 disk

Install Chameleon from the archive

Create /Extra

Place DSDT,smbios and boot.plist in /Extra

Place kexts in /E/E in /Extra/Extensions

Place kexts in /S/L/E in /System/Library/Extensions

Reboot

I have been able to use the vanilla kernel and have had no problem updating from 10.6 to 10.6.6 using this configuration, obviously AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext need to be re-installed after every update, which is annoying but they don't load from /E/E.

If I missed anything if there are any improvements that you have please post them.

P5N_E_SLI.zip

P5N_E_SLI_Boot_132.cdr.zip

I have succeeded in installing getting Snow Leopard running on my P5N-E SLI motherboard with the following specs:

Asus P5N-E SLI => ALC883 audio, nForceLAN for Gigabit LAN, USB supported natively

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz

8GB DDR2 800MHz

IDE ODD

SATA HDD (1x250GB,1x500GB)

nVidia 7300SE GPU

The Kexts included all support 64-bit mode, however, because my GPU is not supported by the 64-bit kernel I can't use it.

If you have another GPU (e.g. Radeon 5770) then you should be good to go.

The attached archive contains:

DSDT (patched: CMOS bug, VMWare Fusion slowness)

Boot.plist

smbios.plist

Extensions (sorted into /E/E and /S/L/E folders)

Chameleon RC5 (compiled from trunk)

Steps:

Download the boot-132 disk, burn it to a CD

Boot from the CD, eject it and insert the retail disk.

Press F5 to refresh the list of devices and boot from the retail disk

Install OS X, boot from it using the Boot-132 disk

Install Chameleon from the archive

Create /Extra

Place DSDT,smbios and boot.plist in /Extra

Place kexts in /E/E in /Extra/Extensions

Place kexts in /S/L/E in /System/Library/Extensions

Reboot

I have been able to use the vanilla kernel and have had no problem updating from 10.6 to 10.6.6 using this configuration, obviously AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext need to be re-installed after every update, which is annoying but they don't load from /E/E.

If I missed anything if there are any improvements that you have please post them.

in Linux you should see the SLI bridge id in lspci, you see that in OSX?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, I tried to follow step by step your guide and the installation was successful even with the 64-bit kernel.

The only problem though is that I can not turn off or restart the PC. The only way is to use the physical button.

It's a kext problem?

Thanks, Federico

Hello, I tried to follow step by step your guide and the installation was successful even with the 64-bit kernel.

The only problem though is that I can not turn off or restart the PC. The only way is to use the physical button.

It's a kext problem?

Thanks, Federico

OpenHaltRestart.kext should fix that, make sure it's in /E/E

OpenHaltRestart.kext is already included in the package that you have attached: ( I followed all the instructions

and i insert the kext in /E/E then repair permissions, I try to restart and nothing. black screen and the computer still running

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

For the record, I wouldn't use CDs for boot-132, use a USB stick. Just get a low-capacity drive (128MB would do), format it HFS+ and follow the standard installation procedure for Chameleon, and create an Extra folder with your extensions, DSDT, org.chameleon.Boot.plist, etc. This way you have a read/write test platform and you won't be aggravated by constantly burning disks and eventually running out and giving up.

Further, if you can get hold of an 8GB USB stick you can clone the Lion or Snow Leopard installer to it and then to the aforementioned and avoid the use of optical media entirely.