Mac OS X Lion (Developer Preview) Released

harrydeo

1,521 posts in this topic

c0rk - I've been following your postings both here and at netkas.org and have two questions:

1. Is your cross-compile of Chameleon installable from a partition other than the target (from Snow, for example)?

2. Does it detect (not boot, but merely detect) Snow volumes?

If it doesn't detect them, that's one way to tell which loader screen is staring you in the face - if it does, however, that is one way to tell the two versions apart (as current Chameleon doesn't detect Lion volumes).

I'm asking because my Hack volume has two partitions - one is my main Snow partition (Meow), while the other is intended for Lion (which, naturally, is the name of that partition). I'm running Chameleon 2 RC5-745 AMD Experimental, which naturally doens't pick up Lion. However, if we could install the custom Chameleon to Lion prior to starting the Lion install (which would also be done from Snow, though it would put us in the position of doing things bass-ackwards from the usual), as long as Lion install doesn't screw with it, we can go back and do any needed fiddlework with *some* measure of safety.

Well you need to use the fdisk in the precompile folder.

I added a new comment where you can download the sources and precompile.

It's the original chameleon source with some light modification.

I suggest to install it to your diskXs2, and your extra folder on the lion partition.

I know almost nothing about AMD so I can't help you with that.

I have 9800GT 512MB Dual DVI working with NVEnabler, no luck with DVI->HDMI Cable yet ;)

... and YES, we are talking about the partition you restored the .dmg to. Delete the Packages link via finder, after that copy will work.

Hi Goron.

Thanks for your reply.

I took the steps again and got same error.

Take a look at this.

Here are the exact steps I took from here in the thread.

post-223908-1299263329_thumb.pngpost-223908-1299263342_thumb.pngpost-223908-1299263354_thumb.pngpost-223908-1299263363_thumb.pngpost-223908-1299263382_thumb.png

I don't know why this happens.

Cheers,

bb.

Hi!

I did install Lion without any problem. But when I start the system for the first time, after the initial video, a message pops saying that there's no mouse connected (and the mouse works right). Anyone have any idea?

Thanks for your reply mate.

But still no go.

See this.

Cheers,

bb.

You'll probably have to do what I ended up doing once I got stuck there initially. In Terminal type:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder

Then manually copy over the hidden package files to their destination. Once finished, you can re-hide hidden files by replacing TRUE with FALSE in the code above.

Good luck.

You'll probably have to do what I ended up doing once I got stuck there initially. In Terminal type:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder

Then manually copy over the hidden package files to their destination. Once finished, you can re-hide hidden files by replacing TRUE with FALSE in the code above.

Good luck.

Veeeery nice.

I'll try this a bit later.

Thanks for the tip.

Cheers,

bb.

P.S. - Could you post here the path where I find the hidden files I'll need to copy to the restored Mac OS X Base System partition? 10X in advance.

EDIT - Issue Solved

As user rlf sent me via PM, take a look on what solved my problem.

I can't reply to posts in the forum, some permissions thing.

MrZeroo00 had the right idea but the wrong suggestion. You have two disks called "Mac OS X Base System". That means the second one is linked as "Mac OS X Base System 1". To verify this, go to Terminal and type: mount

So, you need to change your cp command so it is copying to "Mac OS X Base System 1"

sudo cp -R /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/Packages /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System\ 1/System/Installation

Best of luck

Cheers,

bb.

P.S. - User rlf have some issues with permissions to post, so I ask if anyone here has the privileges to do it, allow him to post in the forum. ;)

Thanks guys, it was all my fault.

I though I copied NullCPUPowermanagement.kext to the install disk but I didn't. I must have sent is somewhere ;)

And for learning issues, when I tried to use ACPIPatcher, I got an error and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] halted:

0ed55533.jpg

I managed to install and boot the system, using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

Now I'll try NVinject to fix video on the 9600GT card.

Also I noticed the NIC is not working properly. It had an IP (directly conected to the modem) and it couldn't browse the web. It does "sense" the cable, if I unplug it, but then it won't get a new IP...

The card is mentioned on System Profiler as an RTL8168 and the kext loaded is for RTL8169. As far as I remember It works oob on Snow.

Thanks for your reply mate.

But still no go.

See this.

post-223908-1299265995_thumb.png

post-223908-1299266157_thumb.png

Cheers,

bb.

Maybe you have two mount points for the Base System. One ending with an "'1", have you checked it?

And I said then more low that my problem was resolved with the tuto of DavidDemon which is on this link: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=250104

I saw it but there aren't big changes in the process.

I´ll look again and try in a few moments!

Actually the difference is not in the process, but in the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] version used.

In Asus P5E, for example, version linked in the tutorial (november 2010) works, while latest version from channel topic on IRC causes KP (no HPETs available) unless I use the AcpiPatcher module.

I used the same file.

I may be using it incorrectly then...

You mean the same file that works under SL?

I can not 'get to the desktop that is THE INSTALLATION finish the first phase but on reboot it seems that the more fakesmc loads and then freezes as photos sad.gif

once or THE INSTALLATION concluded and I had come to the desktop worked sad.gif then I rebooted and reformatted did not start all over again but do not want to start anything

post-361000-1299271687_thumb.jpg

I finally got it to boot and finsihed the installation on another partition.

I booted the newly installed Lion, but could not get past keyboard identification (I used a USB wireless KB and mouse.).

It seems like evryone is have trouble with IOUSBFamily.kext, and so I assume my problem would be the same. Does anyone know how to get USB wireless KB working?

Thanks

Well I tried Cartri's BIOS for my motherboard (still had a copy from back when he did his project) and tried patching my DSDT with what information I found online for patching DSDT's. Neither made a difference.

So its off to Snow Leopard for me. Will give it another go if/when Chameleon supports Lion or I may wait until final release.

Thanks for the help you all gave me. :(

guys how do I run the video card on a lion Nvidea Gforce 8600GT 1gb :(

try this workaroung..

do not chnage anything in your system, if you had changed or worked before on Extensions about Nvidia, NVResman, NV50HAL.. etc..

reinstall from Image.

Simply load NVEnabler.kext from www.kext.com,

so you install that in System/Library/Extensions..

repair rights with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and make the mkexts..

works hier in all possible Resolutions..and without any trouble. (Nvidia 9600GT/512MB)

Well I tried Cartri's BIOS for my motherboard (still had a copy from back when he did his project) and tried patching my DSDT with what information I found online for patching DSDT's. Neither made a difference.

So its off to Snow Leopard for me. Will give it another go if/when Chameleon supports Lion or I may wait until final release.

Thanks for the help you all gave me. :(

Apparently, it's something different in how partitions are handled in Lion.

Even the *current* Chameleon can detect them (I dusted off an older BOOT-132, Chameleon's predecessor, and even it picked up both my attempted Lion system partition, and the Lion install DVD/ESD - both the burned DVD and restored HD partition - it was just unable to kickstart either); however, there's a major change here that has things kerfuffled.

Just a tip for anyone planning on cloning their Lion install to another HDD: I couldn't get my Lion GUID installation to clone to any other HDD, whether the destination HDD was GUID or MBR. Both the Disk Utility and Carbon Copy Cloner came up with errors towards the end of the copy saying "device not configured" in both Snow Leopard and Lion. I had to install Lion to another dedicated GUID HDD instead.

I don't know if anyone else will have any luck cloning their Lion disk!

A few things:

I got 10.7 up and running using the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method. However, I am using a fermi card and can't seem to get anything higher than 1280x1024 resolution, and I wasn't sure if anyone was able to solve this yet - also, its showing I have a 5mb video card, so I am not sure if I am supposed to edit something on my system to fix this, and then install the nvidia fermi drivers again?

The other thing is I was wondering if we constantly have to use the flashdrive to boot into the installation, or if I missed something during the installation guide. I am assuming that we have to keep the drive in until Chameleon releases something that is compatible with Lion. Right?

Anywho, if anyone is curious, I am using the EP45UD3P motherboard from Gigabyte, all the same components as the Lifehacker tutorial build, with the biggest exception being a fermi video card. Worked perfectly in Snow Leopard - but I can't get full resolution or dual monitor output in 10.7

Any thoughts, ideas, solutions, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

for your fermi card , see here : http://netkas.org/?p=648 ! No QE/Ci for the moment , but it seems can change resolution , see it !! :)

Thanks for the help, fantomas1 - I actually sent a post there as well. I realize QE/CI wouldn't work but if I could at least get native resolution, that'd be a lot better than what I am working with presently. I guess I am missing something, or it's possible I will just have to wait for more hackint0shers to join the 10.7 band-wagon.

finally i have been able to boot lion , but certain problems like i can only boot lion with using the -x flag , and my cpu is reading wrong and also my video card ( xfx geforce 9500 gt 1 gb ) , and my dual display can't seem to work , and i can't mount ntfs or fat systems while i'm using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] , i have cartri bios , is that a problem ?

Well... an idiot question which is not about hacking Lion XD... How do u remove icons from launchpad o.O!?

I added lot of apps there but they didn't copy to Applications directory and also idk now how to remove them from Launchpad!

How do u remove icons from launchpad

According to another site, press Command-Option-Control and then click on the icon. And if you have an empty folder, drag an app into it and then back out of it.

Hi all.

Have - in part - good news.

I could manage to install Lion to one partition of mine, but now [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] is not "seeing" this partition where I installed Lion.

I tried to make [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to detect volumes but no go.

Another thing that is bothering me is... when I press M to insert boot flags I'm not allowed to do it.

Is there anything after the install process to be done to the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] flash drive I created?

Cheers,

bb.

First of all I would like to thanks oldnapalm and mald0n for helping me with my ethernet problem that emerged only after I got Lion running for the first time. Simply it showed a correct IP but no internet browsing. Then, no IP (APIPA) even on Snow, which worked always oob.

With a brand new DSDT and the RealtekRTL81xx-0_0_67+ kext the problem was solved. The same DSDT got me full resolution on my Lion installation. But a few things to mention:

- My board (GA-EP45-UD3R) has a Jmicron controller and my Snow Leopard is in there. No problems at all. But I can't boot [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] when it is enabled on the BIOS. When [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] is "scanning" the system to get to its GUI it halts. For me it sucks because everytime I want to give Lion a try, I need to get into BIOS and deselect it. Also I can't get all my OSX information that is on Snow drive. Has anyone the same problem? Found a solution? I already tried using the AHCI and HFSPlus modules with no luck.

- as far as I know, I'm booting the old version of [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. The one without the "full" menu when pressing M. This full version freezes with the message: Please Wait While Booting Verbose - or something like that (I really set -v). Any hints here?

I was looking the structure of [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and, for me, we can add kexts to it - there are folder for tiger, leopard, snow and lion, but how the system will run/recognize/boot them?

Cya!