Which Thinkpad To Choose?

dmizzel

13 posts in this topic

welll..... taugh choice ;)

T41 is way better: pentium m 1.6 better than p4, better battery life, 512 ram -> u really need 512 ram!!

The only drawback is Radeon Mobility!!!

On Radeon 7500 QE and OpenGL works (search the forums, we just made it work)

On Radeon 9000 .... you have no QE/CI/OGL ...

If you are planning to use Tiger on this one ... I would go for the T30 + 256 ram (total 512). If you are satisfied with windows/linux, go for t41.

EDIT: I see a lot of difference with QE enabled. Without QE, I left Tiger for Linux XGL... now, after QE ... I'm preparing to double the mac partition and make Mac OS my primary OS

I want to replace my current PowerBook 12 with ThinkPad Z61m - i really like it.

The Z60T is listed in the hardware compatibility list for 10.4.6 - so has anybody some experiences with the Z61m?

Specs are:

Intel Core Duo T2500 @ 2x 2,0Ghz

100gigs HD

1gig RAM

ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 with 128MB

Thanks for your time.

Thanx for the advice MMK. Are you using a thinkpad? If so, which one. Or, which one would you recommend of all of them(cheapest, yet fast enough to be useable)?

I know i'm being a little vague. I've searched the forms and found people to be using some thinkpads, and yet they don't list them on the HCL. So i'm a little confused, and since I am purchasing one for the sole puropse of osx86, I would like to get it right the first time :D

I 'linux-literate', having set up many different linux boxes. So i'm not afraid of the command line.

Thanx in advance!

i know this may not be much, but im using a t42 right now, it is working great (except for the mouse aritifacts, mobile radeon 9800 card..., which can be fixed with the mouse programs...), but the only thing that sint working is the wireless... i dont know if this is different for the t41, but just fyi

Thanx for the input jgilmour. So I wonder...(keep in mind osx86 is the only goal / purpose) would a t42 be better than a t41 and t30? After all... 42 is a bigger number :thumbsdown_anim:

one t42 that I'm looking at, however $350-400 more than the T30

# Intel Pentium-M 725 Centrino 1.6GHz (2MB L2 cache)

# 512MB RAM

# 40GB 5400rpm HDD

# 14.1 XGA 1024x768 TFT LCD

# 32MB ATI Radeon 7500

Which graphic chipset is best / most compatible / most functionality / least hassel?

* 32MB ATI Mobility RADEON 7500

* 32MB ATI Mobility RADEON 9000 (per mmk this one is no good)

* 64MB ATI Mobility RADEON 9600

* 128MB ATI Mobility FIREGL T2

it was a radeon 9200

So far we were unable to get CI/QE/GL work on 9200...

I had 10.4.4 on my T42, everything worked perfect except of mouse tearing and wireless. I bought 3COM PCMCIA card on ebay for $20 which had a Broadcom chipset and it was recognized as Airport Card, so I'd say T42 is very close to the ideal laptop for MacOS :) Well, except of MacBook :)

Thanx for the advice MMK. Are you using a thinkpad? If so, which one. Or, which one would you recommend of all of them(cheapest, yet fast enough to be useable)?

I know i'm being a little vague. I've searched the forms and found people to be using some thinkpads, and yet they don't list them on the HCL. So i'm a little confused, and since I am purchasing one for the sole puropse of osx86, I would like to get it right the first time :)

I 'linux-literate', having set up many different linux boxes. So i'm not afraid of the command line.

Thanx in advance!

I have a R40

Pentium M 1.4Ghz

512 ram

radeon 7500 32 mb

Thanx for the input jgilmour. So I wonder...(keep in mind osx86 is the only goal / purpose) would a t42 be better than a t41 and t30? After all... 42 is a bigger number :sorcerer:

one t42 that I'm looking at, however $350-400 more than the T30

# Intel Pentium-M 725 Centrino 1.6GHz (2MB L2 cache)

# 512MB RAM

# 40GB 5400rpm HDD

# 14.1 XGA 1024x768 TFT LCD

# 32MB ATI Radeon 7500

this one is nice

Which graphic chipset is best / most compatible / most functionality / least hassel?

* 32MB ATI Mobility RADEON 7500

* 32MB ATI Mobility RADEON 9000 (per mmk this one is no good)

* 64MB ATI Mobility RADEON 9600

* 128MB ATI Mobility FIREGL T2

radeon 9600 and beyond also work.

just don;t get 9000, 9200 ..... 9500.

EDIT:

also look at the wifi specifications.... make sure that is atheros based that is. Centrino a/b/g does not currently work in mac osx. I, for one, have an external PCMCIA wireless card based on atheros and it's detected as airport extreme :)