HOWTO: Install Leopard without DVD (easy way)

bloodniece

66 posts in this topic

Exact. I think this should look like this, right?

58714.jpeg

Yeap, but your second partition it is not an afs or hfs+ partition, frei partition need to be on left painel, under macintosh hd partition.

When I try to erase the HD on this screen I get the message that the data on the whole HD (including data on Volume 1 Macintosh HD) will be lost.

58715.jpeg

Because your 2nd partition its not recognized, to tiger u have only one partition. With linux fdisk u can change type "AF", apples partition type.

Maybe I just try it tomorrow. I have recent updates of my home dir, so there would be no big loss. Would take a while to recover all apps and my music, which is not located in my user directory.

But I would prefer a solution without screwing up my HD. :)

Greetings,

No the problem is that most of your external or internal drivers are set to the Mac partition types.

In DiskUtility hit options and set it to GTK so you can boot on an intel mac and then partition.

Regards,

mx

I have another problem. LThe big cat will only start in "safe mode" if i don't hold shift while starting up it lock's up at that blue loading screen.

Can anybody help me fix this.

Thanks

It might help if you posted WHAT type of machine you are trying to load it on.

It's kinda like saying "My car wont' work" but not specifying how it won't work.

:)

I have a little problem. I have the disk image on my server and I am connected to that usine file sharing and have the Leopard disk image mounted on my desktop. I want to install onto a firewire disk. This is what I get when I try:

picture1tu1.png

Please help me!!!

Jeff

You need to format it in Mac OS Extended (jornualed).

I have the same issue as Jaffa had.

Formatted my external hard drive Mac OS Extended (journaled) but it won't let me install it because it says that I can't boot from it.

Jaffa or anyone else, do you know what the problem can be?

Hey there.

If you're having problems with the no-DVD install where none of your disks can be installed to (it says OS/X can't boot off this device, or something like that), it means that your external drive is on USB. That won't work. Only external firewire drives can be installed to.

Good Luck,

Knick

I tried at least 3 times, but I get allways stucked in the Post-Treatment phase of the BSD installation...

Is it Ok, does it take this long (it says 2 minutes left before the end of process, but the bar doesn't progress...) or do I have a real problem ?

I try to install on a second hard disk, without any system on it...

I also tried in safe mode, I still get blocked in the final phase of the installation.

Any comment?

Go to Terminal

Type: sudo killall temacs

I had the same problem simonthor, but using screenshots of installation of tiger and tabbing in the menus I installed without a lot of problems. Its not a great solution but it worked for me. It happened on my USB Drive Leopard installation (maybe this helps)

But i have a problem, Leopard cannot detect the airport hardware nor the sound hardware on my macbook :thumbsup_anim:

I tried this and was able to get through the installation process no problem, but when I restart into the Leopard partition I get stuck at the Apple logo with the rotating circle. Never actually boots into Lepard. Ive tried a few times, letting it sit there for a while as well as holding Shift while booting. I cant get past the start up screen. This is getting annoying, nothing I try works.

I installed this way, and can boot into safe mode (I am in safe mode now) but can't boot up unless I am in safe mode.

macbook pro 15"

200mb efi

60GB Tiger

14GB Leopard

please please help

I can't get it to boot on mine, either, without safe mode. I thought maybe Apple dropped support for my G4 with Leopard, but I guess not.

I was seriously looking for another Mac to replace my G4 until I saw your post. Then I just decided to get a PC Laptop and wait for a better Mac to come out later (linux is a fine replacement for OS X if you really need it to be).

I'm guessing there's some flaw with the Leopard install DVD.

I have the same issue as Jaffa had.

Formatted my external hard drive Mac OS Extended (journaled) but it won't let me install it because it says that I can't boot from it.

Jaffa or anyone else, do you know what the problem can be?

Has anyone managed to solve this issue? I have the same problem here...

My second partition is formatted Mac OS X Extended (journaled)

post-13786-1157554233_thumb.png

• 3 months later...
Guest bikedude880

This method will no longer work for 9a321 unless you use the new installer. The reason? Apple has compressed the packages using "xar" and created "flat" packages. The DVD seems to be the easiest way now (besides iPod installation that is).