Safe Sleep on Intel Macs is this possible?

enb14

16 posts in this topic

I'm wondering if Safe Sleep (Hibernate) works for you with real intel Macs, the reason is because I can't make this to work on my hackintosh :D

Acording to apple only PowerBooks released in October 2005 can do Safe Sleep and also other PPC macs with a help of a little hack so are mac intels ready for Safe Sleep?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

the intel macs don't do hibernate, only sleep with osx. now i did find out something cool though:

if you use boot camp and have windows on your mac, you can put your computer into hibernation using windows. when you turn the power back on, you have the bootloader that you would get if you had shut down windows normally. this means you can boot into osx. you can then restart, choose windows from the boot camp loader, and go back into windows. this brings up your screen as if you had done hibernation on a pc. i think i found my new way of shutting down windows, much quicker than a regular shutdown and reboot, plus i can still use osx in between.

same here as u can see from my signature

sleep works properly in the mac mini

the intel macs don't do hibernate, only sleep with osx. now i did find out something cool though:

if you use boot camp and have windows on your mac, you can put your computer into hibernation using windows. when you turn the power back on, you have the bootloader that you would get if you had shut down windows normally. this means you can boot into osx. you can then restart, choose windows from the boot camp loader, and go back into windows. this brings up your screen as if you had done hibernation on a pc. i think i found my new way of shutting down windows, much quicker than a regular shutdown and reboot, plus i can still use osx in between.

actually, intel macs DO sleep & hibernate. when you send the computer to sleep, it first saves the memory image to disk then puts the subsystems to sleep.

if the power was lost during sleep, they simply wake up from hibernate (see post above).

to disable hibernation: sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

to enable: sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 3

to check the value: sudo pmset -g

and see the value of hibernatemode